Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

I saw this yesterday and was relieved that finally there was a decent main trilogy Star Wars movie. I heard from both sides that it was good and bad, but I didn't look at any reviews. So I went in with a pretty blank slate. I saw one spoiler image on twitter, but that didn't really detract much, and it was expected and could have been explained away.

So I think this movie helped to redeem this trilogy a bit. It's got nothing on Rogue One, or The Mandalorian, however 😉. So I'd say go see it if you're a Star Wars fan and want to see how it plays out.

The main theme seemed to be something like you don't have to go with your genetics (soul group?). Free will is still there, and Rey could choose the dark or light paths.

If you are a Poe fan, this movie really bashes him. They tried for a critique of white male privilege, right? He's depicted as a hot headed buffoon who has a lot of shady dealings. At least in The Force Awakens he seemed like a cool and successful fighter pilot.

I noticed there was a LOTR actor who played a hobbit among the rebels. And the fight scenes at the end were pretty cool too. Especially the bilocating thing they had going on. Was Kylo only able to stay alive because Leia was helping him out? (they became one with the Force at the same time).

Palpatine was pretty creepy. He reminded me of some the macabre characters of Warhammer 40k. I think Kylo used the dark side power to revive Rey. Maybe that's why it took all of him, whereas the light side healing power is not so draining.

I thought Kylo should have kept his lightsaber when he quit the dark side. It's like, "Hey, you might need that! Now force-grab it from out of the ocean." I wanted to see yoda somewhere, but at least we hear him during one scene.

I haven't watched any analysis videos or even read this thread before posting, so those are my thoughts. The exception being this video which was hilarious and had me crying. It bashes the ending and Kylo, and probably doesn't work if you speak Spanish (Spoilers!). Looks like mkrnhr already posted it.

Speaking of sticks, I also saw this:

Star Wars is junk now. -In fact, I've derived far more entertainment and insight into the human condition from watching how it turned into junk, by staying tuned into the fan discussion network of YouTubers, some of whom loosely call themselves, "The Fandom Menace", -who go over the news minutia trickling out of Disney and Lucasfilm on a daily basis. It's amazing to watch.

The summarized version: Disney and Lucasfilm suffer from a severe case of ponorized management with a heavy lean towards far leftist/feminist/identity politicking, and indeed, comprise a major front in the so-called "Culture War".

And we witnessed the slow motion self-destruction of the Star Wars mythology through numerous acts of applied wishful thinking; Lucasfilm apparently had no idea what they were doing from the outset, but just sort of blithely trusted in their own connection to a respected company with a reputation for brilliance, (despite all the actual geniuses having already fled the building), that everything would turn out peachy and that they would be the heroes of their own internal narrative. The inevitable result as these precious dreamers crashed headlong into objective reality infuriated long time fans. -Because they destroyed a beloved mythological story world while presumably being allowed to slink away as millionaires.

Pictured below, Kathleen Kennedy, entrusted by George Lucas with overseeing the fortunes and future direction of his media company after his sale of Lucasfilm and all associated intellectual properties to Disney. A long time trusted water-getter and once respected confidant through two decades of film productions, it turns out that perhaps Kathleen Kennedy wasn't the one making the smart decisions after all. Within a few short years, she has overseen a once fabulously successful movie franchise tumble through numerous debacles and mismanagement, resulting in low worker moral thanks to identity politicking on the Lucasfilm campus, leaving the company a tragic shell of its former self. This image circa 2017 may offer some indication of the early warning signs:

TheForceIsFemal.jpg

Interestingly, Disney's new (and extremely expensive to build) park enterprise, a Star Wars themed addition, has been a spectacular (and to many, an unsurprising) failure, with record-low attendance. The recent reshuffling at Disney HQ, one guesses may have been a direct result of unhappy shareholders, with the hiring of a handful of somewhat more conservative (or at least middle-leaning) executives.

"The Mandelorian" TV series, being the centerpiece of Disney's multi-billion dollar streaming service gamble, is a much better production, offering standard story-telling tropes and as little of that risky modern Social Justice message which was sinking their IP. I guess when you're losing hundreds of millions of dollars and even the Lefty Press can't shame people into attending theme parks by calling them racists and misogynists, (a tirelessly repeated strategy through the entertainment media and grass roots Disney funded social media campaigning), even Wishful Thinkers are sometimes rattled awake. -Or their less dopey handlers realize the need to rattle the chains anyway. Money talks, after all.

We'll see, though. Personally, I wouldn't be unpleased if Disney goes down in flames. They appear to be a device of spiritual propaganda designed to soften up the human race for invasion by a legion freaky twerp alien snowflakes.

I saw it. Seemed like a reasonably entertaining action flick to me, but I don't have much invested in the Star Wars franchise, so not much to be disappointed about. Like Keit I was always a bigger fan of Star Trek.

I agree with Woodsman about The Mandelorian being more straight forward without the leftist agenda being pushed. Probably what everyone likes about it, even if they can't quite put their finger on it.

A short session, but very penetrating ...

Session 21 January 1995

Q: (D) I know, that's what made me ask... I just.. I can't understand this.. we already have the answers, and we're going through the lessons again... (T) Not all of us have learned all the answers, that's why we're all going through the lessons again.... (D) But, you see, all the answers are there...

A: Who said "again" ?

Q: (J) Is it more like "still" ? (D) But if all the answers are there...

A: You are still thinking at 3rd level.

Q: (D) Yeah, but I'm still trying to understand.. Sorry, guys

A: Don't "try" so much, just go with it.

Q: (T) It's like Master Yoda said in Star Wars, "Don't try, do" .... Just do it.

A: Yes.

Q: (T) See, I knew Star Wars had a redeeming social value. (J) So did Relationships. The how is to do it. (D) But if the answers are there, and we can find the answers, to our lessons... (T) We don't have to find the answers, we have the answers. The answers are within all of us. (D) It seems so redundant... (T) Most of the lessons are to find the right answers... (D)...to actually go through the doing of the lessons....

A: No. Not correct idea.

Q: (T) Where were we going with this? (D) Oh, it was just a wonder of mine, it's just like, if we have the answers, I didn't understand why we do it. (J) We're not supposed to know. (T) Well, if we have all the answers, they're all in us, and we all know the correct solutions to the lessons, we should always be able to do it right, but we're doing it wrong, that means we haven't learned it right yet.

A: Retrieval.

Q: (L) I know what she's hanging up on here - what's the point? (D) Yeah! (L) That's the whole question, what's the point? And I guess the point is, is that it's just...

A: Lessons.

Q: (L) In other words, just to have something to do (J) Hang on a second, I want to read something to you. Corinthians 13... (D) I can't handle this... (J) just listen. This is from Corinthians 13, the one about love. "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then shall I know, even as I also am known." And that's what going from 3rd to 4th is going to be like. (D) Is that part of the... (T) Think so? (Tea kettle starts to whistle.....)

Q: (J) That's it. We're not supposed to know it all now. In moving from 3rd to 4th, is part of the knowledge process. (T) We gain insight moving..

Q: (T)...insight we don't have yet, but we can start working with what we may not understand what it is we're doing.

A: Close

A small excerpt, but very revealing ...

I haven't seen it, this guy is a great reviewer in my opinion, he is quite astute and does not suffer the SJW crowd. He's also pretty hillarious!
Spoiler alert if you don't want to know what happens don't watch.

Thanks for posting that; I agree with virtually everything he said. I don't have a problem with the 'strong female characters' 'or the 'diversity' characters (although it is clumsily done) like he does if they are good characters which is why I thought the treatment of Rose in this movie was so disgraceful. I thought she was one of the best aspects of TLJ but apparently some long term Star Wars fans want the same old material regurgitated again and again so hopefully, they loved this last movie.

I've watched this movie and well... it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either.

Here are my thoughts on it:

What was the point? that's something that matters when watching any movie, what is the message trying to be conveyed and how well did they convey the message?. The message, as far as I can tell was that you can be who you choose to be regardless of who you're supposed to be. Leaving aside the SJW angle, it's not a bad message. Kylo was supposed to be the bad guy, and he redeemed himself at the end, sacrificed himself to undo the evil he had already done, I didn't mind that. Rey was supposed to be the good girl and had a conflict with everyone thinking she was supposed to be the good girl and so she went on a dark path, that showed her that she could also be, supposed to be, evil because of her Palpatine heritage, but chose otherwise. The storm troopers were supposed to be storm troopers but they can also choose to be rebels. In this sense, I feel that the message was clear and well depicted, I agree with others that the Kylo-Rey dynamic was the best, particularly in conveying the message the movie wanted to convey.

One of the things that movies, or any work of fiction, has to accomplish effectively is the suspension of disbelief. Beyond the fact that you're consciously bringing yourself to watch something you know for a fact isn't real, fiction has a way to present the story in such a way that suspends that knowledge for a while. If this is done effectively the movie passes through "clean" into your consciousness and so that's as I understand the concept of suspension of disbelief.

Which also explains why there are tons of videos online that nitpick at movies and they're so successful, much like the one 897baz shared, they're funny because they put a mirror up to our own selves showing us how crazy it was for us to suspend our disbelief, and this is in itself really entertaining, it's the best form of comedy in my view, but it's also a bit "cheap" as it's just pointing out the obvious, but it's not their fault if a movie successfully suspends the disbelief by carefully crafting a narrative then people will praise it, not mock it.

Look at inglorious basterds for instance, it's still function and it's such a highly unlikely narrative, but no one mocks it, they praise that movie.

This movie failed, to me, in delivering that suspension because of the constant damage control they were doing with EP8, it was so obvious that it constantly made me go back to reality and say.. ohhh that's what they mean, so I had to work now to fall back inside the narrative in front of me. When that happens the movie fails in my view.

I don't mind the fan service, but it was oddly placed and again, it brought people out of the movie to look for references and this didn't help. I think JJ Abrams tried to please people too much and that created a bad product, this movie felt more like a not very sincere response to the response to TLJ, than a planned end of the saga.

So, people complained about SJW agendas in it... well here's a heterosexual relationship.
So, people complained about Rose, well... here's almost zero screen time.
So, people complained about the tossing of the lightsaber, well.. here's luke obviously rectifying that
So, people complained about Rey's lack of training, well... here's her training scene
So, people complained about Leia flying through space, well... heres her own jedi training
So, people complained about Holdo's maneuver, well.. here's Finn saying that it's one in a million.

and so on..

Which, isn't bad, but it didn't feel like an honest apology, it felt like a too obvious one that just tried now to pander to the other side of the equation, which is why the critics hate this movie and loved TLJ. Which again, isn't bad because you're responding to outrage, but also you're not producing art or adding to the lore, you're spending millions of dollars truing to look good, this never works, it's like getting a liposuction because someone called you fat.

Then there's the other aspect, where people feel like they own Star Wars or Star Trek, and a lot of the criticism comes from them feeling betrayed because this movie didn't do what the previous one did, which was insert them into the world the movie created and inspire them. And it wouldn't, ironically it was because of that original success that the brand became profitable and Disney bought it and it now is not what it used to be. So.. the commitment that leads people to feel betrayed is what caused the betrayal because they all made it successful and put it on the radar of a large corporation that seeks profit first of all.

Having said all that, I considered it better than episode 8, and perhaps better than episode 7, it is also true that you shouldn't have to sit there and consider all these things before watching a movie, and maybe that's enough to make the movie be bad, but maybe i'm too much of an optimist, but once you see through some of the decision making process.. what's left it's not that horrible and maybe even good.

My two humble cents

I've watched this movie and well... it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either.

Here are my thoughts on it:

What was the point? that's something that matters when watching any movie, what is the message trying to be conveyed and how well did they convey the message?. The message, as far as I can tell was that you can be who you choose to be regardless of who you're supposed to be. Leaving aside the SJW angle, it's not a bad message. Kylo was supposed to be the bad guy, and he redeemed himself at the end, sacrificed himself to undo the evil he had already done, I didn't mind that. Rey was supposed to be the good girl and had a conflict with everyone thinking she was supposed to be the good girl and so she went on a dark path, that showed her that she could also be, supposed to be, evil because of her Palpatine heritage, but chose otherwise. The storm troopers were supposed to be storm troopers but they can also choose to be rebels. In this sense, I feel that the message was clear and well depicted, I agree with others that the Kylo-Rey dynamic was the best, particularly in conveying the message the movie wanted to convey.

One of the things that movies, or any work of fiction, has to accomplish effectively is the suspension of disbelief. Beyond the fact that you're consciously bringing yourself to watch something you know for a fact isn't real, fiction has a way to present the story in such a way that suspends that knowledge for a while. If this is done effectively the movie passes through "clean" into your consciousness and so that's as I understand the concept of suspension of disbelief.

Which also explains why there are tons of videos online that nitpick at movies and they're so successful, much like the one 897baz shared, they're funny because they put a mirror up to our own selves showing us how crazy it was for us to suspend our disbelief, and this is in itself really entertaining, it's the best form of comedy in my view, but it's also a bit "cheap" as it's just pointing out the obvious, but it's not their fault if a movie successfully suspends the disbelief by carefully crafting a narrative then people will praise it, not mock it.

Look at inglorious basterds for instance, it's still function and it's such a highly unlikely narrative, but no one mocks it, they praise that movie.

This movie failed, to me, in delivering that suspension because of the constant damage control they were doing with EP8, it was so obvious that it constantly made me go back to reality and say.. ohhh that's what they mean, so I had to work now to fall back inside the narrative in front of me. When that happens the movie fails in my view.

I don't mind the fan service, but it was oddly placed and again, it brought people out of the movie to look for references and this didn't help. I think JJ Abrams tried to please people too much and that created a bad product, this movie felt more like a not very sincere response to the response to TLJ, than a planned end of the saga.

So, people complained about SJW agendas in it... well here's a heterosexual relationship.
So, people complained about Rose, well... here's almost zero screen time.
So, people complained about the tossing of the lightsaber, well.. here's luke obviously rectifying that
So, people complained about Rey's lack of training, well... here's her training scene
So, people complained about Leia flying through space, well... heres her own jedi training
So, people complained about Holdo's maneuver, well.. here's Finn saying that it's one in a million.

and so on..

Which, isn't bad, but it didn't feel like an honest apology, it felt like a too obvious one that just tried now to pander to the other side of the equation, which is why the critics hate this movie and loved TLJ. Which again, isn't bad because you're responding to outrage, but also you're not producing art or adding to the lore, you're spending millions of dollars truing to look good, this never works, it's like getting a liposuction because someone called you fat.

Then there's the other aspect, where people feel like they own Star Wars or Star Trek, and a lot of the criticism comes from them feeling betrayed because this movie didn't do what the previous one did, which was insert them into the world the movie created and inspire them. And it wouldn't, ironically it was because of that original success that the brand became profitable and Disney bought it and it now is not what it used to be. So.. the commitment that leads people to feel betrayed is what caused the betrayal because they all made it successful and put it on the radar of a large corporation that seeks profit first of all.

Having said all that, I considered it better than episode 8, and perhaps better than episode 7, it is also true that you shouldn't have to sit there and consider all these things before watching a movie, and maybe that's enough to make the movie be bad, but maybe i'm too much of an optimist, but once you see through some of the decision making process.. what's left it's not that horrible and maybe even good.

My two humble cents

And I just thought of something else, great fiction tells a story that people resonate with... that’s how Star Wars came to be so great, a lot of people resonated with it.

But that implies a risk, that is evident everyday, for every great movie there are tons of awful ones. I feel I would’ve respected EP 9 more if they had stuck to their guns and done whatever rather than try to please the audience.

Sadly, Star Wars today is a product (or victim?) of this time, it’s no longer an inspired bold story being told despite the risk, it’s the result of scanning and marketing studies on social networks, studies with the goal of producing the most successful product. That was never going to work with Star Wars.

it’s the difference between running into a great burger at an obscure joint on a humble road and eating at McDonald’s, who studies responses, controls flavors and does surveys.

One might say that the former burger has a creative spirit within that the latter simply lacks, even though they’re both technically classified as burgers, I think the same thing happened to Star Wars.

So this movie is edible, but not magical.

Sadly, Star Wars today is a product (or victim?) of this time, it’s no longer an inspired bold story being told despite the risk, it’s the result of scanning and marketing studies on social networks, studies with the goal of producing the most successful product. That was never going to work with Star Wars

Totally agree. Although I also think with a company like Disney, that they had the resources and the experience to map out a legitimately good story and produce something of value. They of course didn’t with the trilogy and went back and forth based on feedback from people who saw the movie, like you said. I’m not sure why they brought Abrams in for the first movie and replaced him with Rian Johnson in the Last Jedi. The reason the original Star Wars, LOTR and the Marvel movies have worked (up until now, anyways) is because they had someone at the helm who had an overarching vision of where they wanted to go and tell a good story. It seems like having Kathleen Kennedy overseeing it, that she was more concerned about being ‘woke’ and introducing feminism to the franchise. What’s done is done but it’s just becoming more apparent that anytime this happens people in general react very negatively to it. Which to me, is a good sign and can only hope these large companies learn from it because it hurts them where they feel it the most, their pocketbooks.

Which to me, is a good sign and can only hope these large companies learn from it because it hurts them where they feel it the most, their pocketbooks.

I for one will boycott this one after reading all your thoughts here. I've seen too many crappy movies over the years that were such a waste of time... Enough. (Ask me whether I stayed true to this after the movie is available on streaming :halo:)

I haven't seen the new movie yet, and I won't see it until it's released on video (cough cough).

What I will say is that:

1. The last one wasn't quite as bad as some people mad it out to be, but it also wasn't very good.

2. The original trilogy is very basic in its messages and plot, but it was still good and even revolutionary in terms of special effects. Then again, I'm biased because I grew up with Star Wars Everything.

3. Timothy Zahn wrote a series of novels that I read ages ago, and in those stories Leia was a Jedi. They were quite good, and supposedly "endorsed" by Lucas. So, there was no need to go all "woke" or "SJW" as Disney / JJ Abrams have done, because there was already a perfectly good story line that was in line with the original trilogy.

Even The Mandalorian isn't really THAT good, but it's just refreshing to watch something "Star Wars" that is NOT totally "woke". Which is terribly sad. Oh, and Baby Yoda. :love:

In the end, I guess all I can say is that in a world where they can even "ruin" Star Wars, well... that's gotta be pretty bad! It should have been a guaranteed epic money-maker, but even that doesn't sway them from their retardation.

When personal agendas trump even making boatloads of money, you know something is seriously wrong.

Back
Top Bottom