strange experience happened in childhood (with picture)

Cosmos

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I can not remember how old I was but probably about 10 years.
me and my brother were sleeping in our room as we suddenly both woke up.
infront of my brothers bed on the floor stood a pelican (in front of the opened window) facing in my direction.
the pelican started to talk to us with a male human voice, we were pretty suprised as you might guess.
I/we don't remember what he was saying (at least not conscious). after a while we stood up to call our mother to see the pelican.
first she refused to come to the room and said that we dreamed it. after talking to her for a while saying to her that this is not a dream she finally went with us to the room .
as we entered the room the pelican was gone, the window stood open and the shutter was opened.

some notes: we always shut our shutters in the evening and the windows are closed. so something wind the shutter up and opened the window !
we live in germany, a pelican is not part of the natural environment here.

so the question is what could it have been? what's the meaning behind it (if there is a meaning)
it's a shame that I don't remember what the pelican said :cry:

Edit: headline

Re: strange experience happened in childhood

that's the room where it happened. (my perspective in that night)
on the left side between the door and the beginning of the bed of my brother was the pelican.
the winder to role the shutter up and down is beside the window on the right side left from the socket.
my brother lay with the head in the direction of the wardrobe on the right . (so his head was next to the winder)
the window that is opened is the said one.
P300311-19-23-2.jpg

in this picture you can see how it looked when we went to bed. (window closed, shutter down)

P300311-19-25-2.jpg

Edit: more information
Edit: (23.12.2022) Re-uploaded pictures

Last edited:

That's very weird. I have those same shutters at home and they make a lot of noise. Didn't the pelican talked to your brother? Perhaps he can remember the bits you can't. In any case, it would have been too strange if you both dreamed of a pelican, not to mention the window opened by itself :shock:

Hello Pashalis,
Children sometimes see things. Sometimes we remember but most of the time we forget. I don't know if it has any other meaning than the fact that we are faced with the unknown at certain moments of our lives. Strangeness is met at every corner and those encounters are maybe what triggers some of the unconscious need to look for answers.

skycsil said:
That's very weird. I have those same shutters at home and they make a lot of noise. Didn't the pelican talked to your brother? Perhaps he can remember the bits you can't. In any case, it would have been too strange if you both dreamed of a pelican, not to mention the window opened by itself :shock:

yes our shutters make a lot of noise. we both heard him talking, we both do not remember what he said.
he was looking in my direction, the pictures above show my perspective in that night.

I think that the pelican was a messenger; he told you something that you and your bro had to heard. i think that this messenger appeared to you as a pelican for 2 reasons, first it’s a bird so you will not be afraid, imagine if it was a snake or a giant spider you may have react differently. The second reason is : you said your self « a pelican is not part of the natural environment » if it was just an ordinary bird you may not have taken the message seriously, it shows you that it’s not some bird from around here who just lost its way.

I am sorry for my English, it is not as good that I wish it to be.

NemesiS said:
I think that the pelican was a messenger; he told you something that you and your bro had to heard. i think that this messenger appeared to you as a pelican for 2 reasons, first it’s a bird so you will not be afraid, imagine if it was a snake or a giant spider you may have react differently. The second reason is : you said your self « a pelican is not part of the natural environment » if it was just an ordinary bird you may not have taken the message seriously, it shows you that it’s not some bird from around here who just lost its way.

Hi NemesiS. We ask that new members post a bit about themselves in the Newbie section of the Forum. No need for personal details, just a bit about how you found the forum, your interests, etc.

PS: your English seems fine! :)

[quote author=NemesiS]he told you something that you and your bro had to heard[/quote]

Hi NemesiS,

Why do you think this?

I dont know if you've already done it, but I chose to run a google search for what a pelican might symbolise and here is some of what came up

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/symbols/pelican.htm

According to legend, in a time of famine a mother pelican would draw blood from her own chest and give the blood to her chicks.

Thus the pelican symbol in Christianity, also called pelican-in-her-piety, symbolizes the sacrifice of Christ on the cross (because he gave his blood for others) as well as the Eucharist (because it represents Christ's blood and provides spiritual nourishment).
he legend of the pelican is an ancient one and had a few variations. It was adopted into Christianity by the 2nd century, when it appears in the Physiologus, a Christian adaptation of popular animal legends and symbols.

"The little pelicans strike their parents, and the parents, striking back, kill them. But on the third day the mother pelican strikes and opens her side and pours blood over her dead young. In this way they are revivified and made well.

So Our Lord Jesus Christ says also through the prophet Isaiah: 'I have brought up children and exalted them, but they have despised me' (Is 1:2). We struck God by serving the creature rather than the Creator. Therefore He deigned to ascend the cross, and when His side was pierced, blood and water gushed forth unto our salvation and eternal life."

very religious, but more searches show it is tied down by christianity but apparently the symbolism predates christianity.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0682.html

The symbolism of the mother pelican feeding her little baby pelicans is rooted in an ancient legend which preceded Christianity. The legend was that in time of famine, the mother pelican wounded herself, striking her breast with the beak to feed her young with her blood to prevent starvation. Another version of the legend was that the mother fed her dying young with her blood to revive them from death, but in turn lost her own life.
Given this tradition, one can easily see why the early Christians adapted it to symbolize our Lord, Jesus Christ. The pelican symbolizes Jesus our Redeemer who gave His life for our redemption and the atonement He made through His passion and death. We were dead to sin and have found new life through the Blood of Christ. Moreover, Jesus continues to feed us with His body and blood in the holy Eucharist.

This tradition and others is found in the Physiologus, an early Christian work which appeared in the second century in Alexandria, Egypt. Written by an anonymous author, the Physiologus recorded legends of animals and gave each an allegorical interpretation. For instance the phoenix, which burns itself to death and rises on the third day from the ashes, symbolizes Christ who died for our sins and rose on the third day to give us the promise of everlasting life. The unicorn which only allows itself to be captured in the lap of a pure virgin, symbolizes the incarnation. Here too the legend of the pelican feeding her young is described: "The little pelicans strike their parents, and the parents, striking back, kill them. But on the third day the mother pelican strikes and opens her side and pours blood over her dead young. In this way they are revivified and made well. So Our Lord Jesus Christ says also through the prophet Isaiah: ‘I have brought up children and exalted them, but they have despised me’ (Is 1:2). We struck God by serving the creature rather than the Creator. Therefore He deigned to ascend the cross, and when His side was pierced, blood and water gushed forth unto our salvation and eternal life." This work was noted by St. Epiphanius, St. Basil and St. Peter of Alexandria. It was also popular in the Middle Ages and was a source for the symbols used in the various stone carvings and other artwork of that period.

Clearly the pelican became a symbol of charity. Reference to the pelican and its Christian meaning are found in Renaissance literature: Dante (1321) in the "Paridiso" of his Divine Comedy refers to Christ as "our Pelican." John Lyly in his Euphues (1606) wrote, "Pelicane who striketh blood out of its owne bodye to do others good." Shakespeare (1616) in Hamlet wrote, "To his good friend thus wide, I’ll ope my arms / And, like the kind, life-rendering pelican / Repast them with my blood." John Skelton (1529) in his Armorie of Birds, wrote, "Then sayd the Pellycan: When my Byrdts be slayne / With my bloude I them revyve. Scripture doth record / The same dyd our Lord / And rose from deth to lyve."

The pelican also has been part of our liturgical tradition. As mentioned in the question posed by the reader, the image of the pelican feeding its baby pelicans was a popular artwork on an altar frontal. In early times, when tabernacles were sometimes suspended over the altar, they were shaped like pelicans: for example, Durham Cathedral, to which was attached a Benedictine monastery prior to the suppression of the monasteries by Henry VIII 1538, had the Blessed Sacrament reserved in a tabernacle fashioned in silver like a pelican and suspended over the High Altar. In the hymn "Adoro te devote," the sixth verse (written by St. Thomas Aquinas and translated into English by Gerard Manley Hopkins) reads,

Like what tender tales tell of the Pelican
Bathe me, Jesus Lord, in what Thy Bosom ran
Blood that but one drop of has the pow’r to win
All the world forgiveness of its world of sin.

Therefore, the image of the pelican is a strong reminder of our Lord, who suffered and died for us to give us eternal life and who nourishes us on our pilgrim way with the Holy Eucharist. May that image move us to show the same charity and self-giving love toward all.

Even a tattoo site came up

http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/tattoos_designs_symbols_pelicans.htm
Pelican Tattoos - The pelican is a spirit guide that teaches us about self-sacrifice. Getting a pelican tattoo is a statement that one yearns to be charitable and less competitive. It says, 'I am buoyant, able to rise above my troubles.

Dont really know if you guys imagined the pelican(are you sure it was a pelican?) or not, but nonetheless your story is a weird one and one that I dont think you will be getting any definitive conclusions on, anytime soon. Right now you can only go on what you have. That is a pelican, what it might mean, plus what you and your brother thought it might have been saying etc...

thanks luke

luke wilson said:
Dont really know if you guys imagined the pelican(are you sure it was a pelican?) or not, but nonetheless your story is a weird one and one that I dont think you will be getting any definitive conclusions on, anytime soon. Right now you can only go on what you have. That is a pelican, what it might mean, plus what you and your brother thought it might have been saying etc...

yes we are sure that we saw a pelican, but of course that doesn't mean that it actually was a pelican who knows ?

NemesiS said:

no problem NemeseiS your english is fine.
thanks for your point of few
and welcome to the forum :)

Hi Pashalis,

Have you read any of the following?

High Strangeness - Laura
UFOs: Operation Trojan Horse – John Keel
The Eighth Tower – John Keel
Disneyland of the Gods – John Keel
Dimensions – Jacques Vallee

Jerry said:
Hi Pashalis,

High Strangeness - Laura

why do you ask ?

Pashalis said:
Jerry said:
Hi Pashalis,

High Strangeness - Laura

why do you ask ?

There are important historical observations made in these books which is vital for an objective understanding of this type of phenomena.

what we saw could be : a cover up illusion (frame) to hide something else maybe a obduction,
some sort of psychic thing I/we produced in some way,
some kind of massage,
a very very good made parody...........etc

Jerry said:
NemesiS]he told you something that you and your bro had to heard[/quote] Hi NemesiS said:
PS: your English seems fine! :)
Thanks
i made a quick presentation, it was like 5 lines, it took me 30 minutes because a had to check the spelling, translate,... i do my best to make my self as clear as possible.

Back
Top Bottom