The Hungarian Language: One of the true wonder of the Earth since ancient times

tomz said:
@valenhun Kovacs and Puskas are words of Slavic origin. Origin of Puska is not so clear it was taken by Slavs from german or was a original Czech or Russian word. In Hungarian language there are many Slavic, Turkic, Latin, Iranian, Greek words...there is evidence about 7 tribes but also about other Turkic and Iranian that formed modern Hungarian nation beside the fact of sharing wide area with Slaves and adopting many words,culture and skills from them by changing the nomadic lifestyle. There are more than 2000 essential words in Hungarian language taken from Slavic beside others taken from other languages. Before modern language standardization the dialects across whole carpatian basin were containing even more foreign essential words.Hungarian language is nice and interesting but knowing all this facts it's hard to accept any fantastic conclusions...e.g. About direct Sumer origin of Hungarian language.

First, the thread title: "The Hungarian Language: One of the true wonder of the Earth since ancient times" comes from the author of the first post, and does not represent the whole forums stance, only author's own. I believe that the author later was banned for his nationalistic views (or something like that)

Would be good to change that misleading title though.

Word 'puskas' derives from Slavic 'puska' which means rifle, canon, gun, which derives from the word 'pustati' (in Serbian for example, there are also other variations in other Slavic languages) which means 'to let it go, throw it away' and similar, so it is unlikely of Germanic origin. Word 'puskas' (or 'puskar' in other variations) would be man who deal with the guns, rifle man, armory man.

Kovac are also Slavic and without any doubt means: 'the blacksmith'. It is derived from the word 'kovati' (various Slavic languages various variations) which means 'hammering the iron' (or the metal)

Hi Avala, here are some etymologic analysis http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/etymology-pushka.521184/ most probably it's really German origin but Russian and Czech is also possible. The early history of gunpowder in Europe is unclear so it is with this word. It is interesting that this word is shared across so many languages not only Slavs that were already wide spread in time gunpowder came to Europe.

Could be. But the difference is that in Slavic languages that particular word itself describes what exactly the item with that name does (it lets it go, loose, throw something, hit something). If the word would be of some other origin than Slavic, than probably there wouldn't be correlation with the name of the item and the job that the item with that name (puska) does. It literally means 'the item which do the hit/loose/throwing'. And it is not just for gun powder rifles, you can use it for bows and arrows too (pustati - to loose/ the arrow/)

Just as in 'kovac', it literally means 'the man who hammers the metal'. Unlike from English 'the blacksmith'. It is as if it was in English "the hammerer" instead the blacksmith. Or 'bullet thrower' instead the gun/rifle/canon. The good analogy in English would be the 'runner' from the 'run', so if you know what the 'run' means, you don't have doubt what are the origins of the 'runner', and what that means.

The name explains its purpose/what it does literally, I don't think it is like that in German, Hungarian, Romanian, or Yiddish (from your link). That's how it is in Serbian, Croatian and Russian, I don't know how you say throw, hit, loose, and similar in Czech though.

Avala said:
Word 'puskas' derives from Slavic 'puska' which means rifle, canon, gun, which derives from the word 'pustati' (in Serbian for example, there are also other variations in other Slavic languages) which means 'to let it go, throw it away' and similar, so it is unlikely of Germanic origin.

How about "pušiti/smoking"?

After you fire a rifle you get a smoke. Especially with the old ones.

That makes more sense to me than "pustati/to let go".

Persej said:
Avala said:
Word 'puskas' derives from Slavic 'puska' which means rifle, canon, gun, which derives from the word 'pustati' (in Serbian for example, there are also other variations in other Slavic languages) which means 'to let it go, throw it away' and similar, so it is unlikely of Germanic origin.

How about "pušiti/smoking"?

After you fire a rifle you get a smoke. Especially with the old ones.

That makes more sense to me than "pustati/to let go".

Could be, but not from 'pusiti' as in 'smoking' (the cigarets) but as 'making a smoke', 'get something to smoke'. Well, goes very fine with serbo-croatian, but I don't know for the other Slavic languages.

Pustat(with s=sh) Pustit - in Czech, Russian, Slovak is the same just the same in Polish, by playing with word in Slavic langs it's easy to get noun puska. But there is no word for other older weapon using this word as base. But interesting idea.

Well, thanks to this discussion, I finally learned from where did we get a word "puškica/cheat sheet", which has absolutely no sense in Serbian language. I always wondered what the guns have to do with the cheat sheets?! :D

But again, puska also means a cheat sheet what you use when writing a test... And need a bit of "help"...

http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/etymology-pushka.521184/#post-2958502

It is Hungarian word. :)

Avala said:
Could be, but not from 'pusiti' as in 'smoking' (the cigarets) but as 'making a smoke', 'get something to smoke'. Well, goes very fine with serbo-croatian, but I don't know for the other Slavic languages.

Avala, I was thinking more about ... there are two words of early gunpowder history

Pistol -> obsolete French pistole, -> German Pistole -> Czech pišt'ala,
of which the original meaning was ‘whistle’, hence ‘a firearm’ by the resemblance in shape

so the buchse is maybe also a case of shape alikeness

puška - in Old Czech it meant a cylidric box (case, etui), later a rifle.
puška -> Old High German būhse -> from Latin pyxis -> from Ancient Greek πυξίς (puksís).

arquebus (in Czech hákovnice) -> French harquebuse -> Middle Low German hakebusse -> from hake ‘hook’ + busse ‘gun’ ->
howitzer -> Dutch houwitser -> German Haubitze -> Czech houfnice

And why is so important to take Czechs into account especially in connection to Germans? Bcs. they were par of Holy Roman Empire and were maybe first of Empire who sucessfully used gunpowder in battles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_%C5%BDi%C5%BEka
The Hussite wars also marked the earliest successful use of pistols on the battlefield and Žižka was an innovator in the use of gunpowder. He was the first European commander to maneuver on the field with cannon of medium caliber mounted on carts in between the wagons. The Czechs called the handgun a píšťala, and anti-infantry field guns houfnice, from which the English words "pistol" and "howitzer" have been derived. The Germans had just started corning gunpowder, making it suitable for use in smaller, tactical weapons. A gunman on an open field armed with only a single-shot weapon was no match for a charging knight on a horseback; however, from behind a castle wall, or from within the enclosure of the wagenburg, massed and disciplined gunmen could use the handgun to its greatest potential. From his experiences at the Battle of Grunwald, Žižka knew exactly how his enemies would attack, and he found new ways to defeat forces numerically superior to his own.

More :)

_https://tayoscave.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/the-american-origin-of-european-settlements-by-juan-moricz/

There is an enormous amount of energy invested in covering up the true evolution of humans as well as the languages that are a direct byproduct of all of our progression. And everything I will write from here on in is info I have gathered from countless sources, many of which have been deemed outdated for no other reason other than not coinciding with what the 1% governing elites proposed n manufactured true human history. Archeology proves 100% that we humans have been humans for well over 4million yrs, unlike the primate theory of evolution taught in schools world wide. We are taught that judeism was the first example of monotheism yet that too has been completely proven otherwise.

The tower of Babel supposedly had an architect/overseer named Nimrod. This is recurrent in countless writings. Nimrod is the sole hero in ancient hungarian creation myth who followed the migrating caribou into what we call the carpathian basin, eden for some. We know that Babel is a pivotal place where language supposedly broke off of some universal tongue that may have been universal to some degree. Also, the first and largest Ziggurat pyramid, which resembles the tower of babel, was first ever built in the city of UR!! Ur means lord in Hungarian as well as Sumerian!!!

Over 2000 words are presently used that are undeniably shared only amongst modern/ancient Hun and summerian and these include lord/god, mother/father, sun/moon and these are fundamental when drawing direct connections seeing as they are primal to everyday life and faith!!!! Hun runic script is not taught in schools worldwide that it is practically the only true basis by which Egyptian heiroglyphs were interpreted and not thanks to the Rosetta stone. In ethiopia, russian archeologists have found Hun runes dating back to 14,000yrs and in the Bosnian pyramid that is said to be minimum 35-40,000yrs old based on a multitude of tests, carbon dating being one of them.

The cement used in Bosnia is 2-3x harder than anything we can pour to this day so the building of these monstrous structures was a well established skill for the ppl responsible for building them. Also, mesopotamian cities that riddles mesopotamia like eridu, uruk, nippur, mari, kish(kiss), kush(kus) and most importantly UR are all words that are rooted from or directly exact to words used everyday by Huns! Babel(babilon), is where countless texts say the splitting of languages happened but from what universal language? If clearly, Hun runes existed before Sumer then its fair/sound to assume that sumerian built off of Hun seeing as we can still coherently understand, interpret and distinguish it from all other languages.

Not one language can understand or translate/transcribe Hun past a few hundred or so words!!!! Why is this do you think? Yet hun is responsible for assisting more with heiroglyphs, cuneiform and countless others than ANY OTHER language. We can understand almost flawlessly the spoken ancient dialects from over 1000years ago. Very few can claim this today! Where are the sister tongues to Hun? Did one ever exist or might Hun have been the universal lost language from which many, if not most, branched off of? Why are countless characters of sumerian myth and scripture similar, identical or only sensical to Hun and Hun myths and legends? A large portion of the bibles content is taken word for word from sumerian mythology most importantly Genesis and "Noahs Arc"!!!!!!!

This has been manipulated and secularized by primarily our Zionist brothers and is the basis for much of our blindness and ignorant faith! Can anyone clearly tell me the difference between religion and faith? Last I checked, my god WANTS its children to eat from the TREE OF. LIFE!!! There is no sexist discrimination or inequality between women and men in the Hungarian language. The sex of an individual must be specified in Hun and isn't assumed based on the sentence's content. Has anyone EVER been taught as to why the church bells toll at noon???? Because the religious leaders at the time declared that the Hungarian kingdom is to thank for stopping Islam from taking over the catholic/christian world in europe yet they don't ever mention this anywhere. More lies and misleading.

And yes, this is all directly tied into the evolution/history of the language!!! The kingdom lived in peace for over 1000yrs until St.STephen let the catholic church into the empire and soon thereafter it all fell apart. Another interesting fact is that the VAtican/pope/Rome only ever sainted Hungarian Kings!!!!! Why is that??? Maybe to get closer to getting a foot through the doors in an attempt to destroy the all too effective structure that these ancient Huns had in place. It didn't compliment the order that the secularized church planned to put in place.

Anyway, I'm a bit off tangent, Nimrod is also a military nickname for a fool, clumsy idiot. Funny, how many important terms and symbols are manipulated and contorted to take on new meanings and connotations to make it more difficult to trace them back to their origins! Hungarian is deemed a FINN-Ugoric language YET we have almost nothing in relation to Finnish or Slavic tongues, why is that??? Finn and huns may have at one time inhabited neighbouring lands in the Siberian region but that's it at the very MOST! We can't understand anything and whatever is remotely similar its a coincidence or more a matter of Finn bprrowing from Hun because in all honesty, why would a language like Hun, practically identical and unchanged for min 35-40,000 yrs resort to borrowing from languages that have yet to provide cold hard evidence as to their existence at a time when the Hun runes writers were architects and engineers at a scale not yet matched, to our knowledge????? Shall I continue in a more structured fashion?

Kovacs-ko/kovek=rock/rocks, acs=carpenter/joiner/forger, acel=forged steel so before you people get too carried away with your dissection of Hungarian words, do the research! As for puska, that doesn't have a typical hungarian root or foundation!

I know this is an old thread, but in keeping with the subject at hand here is an interesting book in English with lots of references to research (I have no way of verifying if that research is valid or not):

The Early Hungarians

It is indeed an interesting subject for me. Being non-native speaker of Hungarian, its similarity to Summerian is stunning. After a few years of research of Hungarian origins seems to me that they indeed decended from the Scythians and their language is closely related to that of Scythians, including the script, which looks almost the same to me. So, if you consider that the Magyar language is an offshoot of Scythian and knowing from Laura's research that it was Scythians (Hyperboreans?) who civilized the Greeks and ruled the Middle East all the way down to Egypt, then similarity of Hungarian (which as language can be considered modern Scythian) to Summerian makes much more sense to me.

Also if you factor in the 460 years that were inserted into our history after the cometary destruction of Rome ca. 465 then the connection of King Arpad (1st king of mondern day Hungary, whose rule is dated to 9th century) and Attila the Hun (whose conquest is dated to ca. 450) becomes almost subsequent and Arpad's claims that his father was grandson of Attila can in fact be true, thus making the Magyar-Scythian connection even more plausible.

Anyhow, interesting stuff...

I strongly recommend the book I quoted above. Since the last post I read it a few times and checked some of the references. It seems Tibor Barath, an archeology professor in Canada, is indeed quite a respectable source on early Hungarian and European civilization. Here is the link to the book in PDF:

http://www.magtudin.org/Barath_Tibor_The_Early_Hungarians.pdf

His assertion about Etruscans being Magyars is confirmed by an Italian professor, Mario Alinei, who studied Etruscan language and managed to translate some of it with the help of Hungarian language. Here is the link to the professor's presentation about Etruscan language:

(Hungarian)

and here:

(Hungarian, but his English can be heard)

Prof. Barath, himself help to translate some of the Egyptian hieroglyphs proving the early Egyptian language was closly related to Magyar language and the connection of the Kush empire to Magyars is also very interesting. Below is the Russian film showing Hungarian carved script (rovasiras) in the Ethiopian temple remains dated allegedly to be 14K years old.

Anyhow, interesting stuff...

Genetic markers in the Hungarian population: Then and now

Due to the scarcity of written sources the origin of Hungarians has been the object of passionate debate among historians, archeologists, and linguists. Lately they were joined by geneticists. With the completion of the Human Genome Project in 2003, genetic mapping of ethnic groups became much easier, cheaper and therefore more widely carried out. István Raskó, head of a group of geneticists at the University of Szeged, gave his first lecture on the subject in the popular "Mindentudás Egyeteme" (University of All Knowledge) in 2004. He outlined the group's research on the DNA composition of human remains from graves dating to the early tenth century. On the basis of their findings the Szeged reseachers came to the conclusion that the number of invaders was most likely very small because even in these very early graves only 36% of the people had markers indicating Asiatic origin. Fifty percent of them were of purely European origin, and their DNA composition indicated that their ancestors had lived in Europe for at least 40-50,000 years. By now this Asiatic element has almost disappeared: 84% of Hungarians are totally of European origin and only 16% carry Asiatic markers. One ought to keep in mind that in the thirteenth century the Cumans, a decidedly Asiatic tribe, fleeing the Mongol onslaught, sought refuge in Hungary. The Cumans (or in Hungarian the "kunok") settled in one bloc south of Budapest on the left bank of the Danube, that is, the Great Plains. Their opportunity to intermarry with non-Cumans was somewhat limited. Even in the second half of the twentieth century one could find Hungarians who bore a close resemblance to their Asiatic relatives.

The occasion for the topic surfacing in the popular press is an exhibition that just opened in the Museum of Natural Science. It is entitled "The Genetic Family Tree of Our People." The exhibit relies heavily on the research of István Raskó and his fellow scientists in Szeged. As a result of their research there are many new discoveries and also the "reaffirmation" of earlier held views. About a hundred years ago it was commonly believed that the richer graves contained the remains of the newcomers who ruled over the local Slavic population while the simpler graves contained the bones of the local common people. That theory was replaced in the 1950s by one that claimed that even in the simplest graves less well-off Asiatic newcomers could be found. Now DNA research has at last put an end to the debate. The DNA found in the modest graves is practically identical to the make-up of the present-day Hungarian population. In brief, the earlier theory was correct. Moreover this research offers further proof that the newcomers were very few in number.

I must say that this finding surprised me because I, simply using common sense, figured that if the size of the invading group was very small and the population of the occupied territories large then it would be logical to assume that the invaders would soon be absorbed by the local population. Moreover, I figured, their language would be supplanted for the most part by that of the locals. Anyone who was thinking along these lines was obviously wrong. For some strange reason the linguistic and cultural influence of this small group was important beyond its size while their genetic components pretty well disappeared.

And that leads us to the linguistic debate. As you most likely know by now, the Hungarian extreme right is very dissatisfied with the universally held belief in the Finno-Ugric linguistic relationship. The Szeged group's findings prove that Finns, Estonians, and Hungarians are related even genetically. Although this genetic relationship cannot be established by examining the present populations, the study of the contents of the richer tenth-century graves without exception showed a close relationship with the Finno-Ugric groups (based on an analysis of their Y-chromosomes).

Hungarian Genetics - DNA of Hungary's Magyar people

The Hungarian self-designation is Magyar. The early Magyars arrived in the land of Hungary from the east in the 9th century. At one time they were in alliance with the Khazars.

The original Magyar genetic contributions have become very diluted over the centuries due in large part to intermarriage with European tribes. This means that the modern Hungarian people are only somewhat descended from the ancient Magyars whose language they speak.

Y-DNA haplogroup frequencies differ markedly between regions of Hungary, so I can't really give a detailed summary that applies to all Hungarians, except to say that many Hungarians belong to haplogroups in the R1a family that's associated with the early Indo-Europeans and their other Y-DNA haplogroups are also found among their neighbors the Austrians and Slovaks.

There are some Hungarian villages where the inhabitants possess small frequencies of Y-DNA haplogroups from Central Asia and Northern Asia such as those in the N, Q, and C families.

According to The ALlele FREquency Database compiled by Kenneth K. Kidd of Yale University, 1.7% of the 176 Hungarian people studied carry at least one 1540C allele in the EDAR (rs3827760) gene where CC causes straighter and thicker hair and shovel-shaped incisors. C is of East Asian origin.

According to The ALlele FREquency Database, 5.1% of the 176 Hungarian people studied carry at least one T allele in the R151C (rs1805007) gene where TT always causes red hair.

A particular Szekler from central Transylvania scores 0.9% East Asian in 23andMe's autosomal DNA test, of which 0.4% of that is interpreted as similar to Yakuts. Thanks to the Anthrogenica user "Dorkymon" for posting that to this thread.

According to the Q-L712 Focus Group at Family Tree DNA, many Szeklers have the Y-DNA haplogroup Q-L712 (Q1a1b1) and it is suggested that it may be of Hunnic origin.

Back
Top Bottom