The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

When the C's say "A: Remember que le center of a sphere is a window" it reminds me of Jules Verne "Journey to the Center of the Earth"

Heavy Rain, Feet of Snow Target California as 'Miracle March' Atmospheric River Weather Pattern Arrives (Video)
https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/california-atmospheric-river-snow-heavy-rain-flooding-march

A "miracle March" parade of Pacific storms that may last well into the week ahead has begun soaking California and other parts of the West Coast.

This much wetter weather pattern will be accompanied by a so-called atmospheric river, or "Pineapple Express", at times, unleashing bouts of heavy rain, feet of Sierra snow, and strong winds, high surf and coastal flooding at times through the new week ahead. Winds have gusted to as high as 88 mph as of Saturday evening at Mount Diablo, with reports of scattered wind damage across Northern California.

Saturday night into early Sunday morning, roads were flooded around San Jose and Oakland. Mudslides also created traffic issues, including in Santa Cruz where a mudslide and basketball sized boulders blocked a south bound lane on highway 17.

[...] As the graphic below shows, the ribbon of moisture, known as an atmospheric river, associated with this first storm will stretch from California to near and west of Hawaii. This will be ushered in by a strong jet stream with winds topping 200 mph in the high altitudes over the Pacific Ocean late this week.

Here's what to expect through Monday:
•Most lower elevations will pick up an inch or more of rain in northern and central California. Foothill and coastal range locations will see several inches of rain.
•The heavy rain could result in some flooding, mudslides and rockslides even after seeing dry conditions the last month or so, particularly over areas burned by wildfires over the past year or two. Melting snowpack will also add to flooding of streams and rivers. Flood watches are in effect in parts of northern and central California.
Up to 3 feet of total snowfall is expected in California's Sierra Nevada above 7,000 feet. Snow levels may start at 7,500-8,000 feet before falling to valley floors Sunday morning, which would then affect travel through passes.
•A rather large area of strong winds is expected through Sunday morning from northeast Oregon into the Sacramento Valley, Sierra Nevada, and the adjacent foothills. Gusts may top out at 100+ mph over the Sierra ridgetops. The foothills could see gusts to 80 mph while valley wind gusts may hit 60 mph. Power outages and downed trees are possible.
•Rain and mountain snow will also impact Washington, Oregon, and much of the Intermountain West this weekend as the frontal system slides inland.
•Southern California will also see some rain in two rounds over the next several days. First from the storm into Sunday and then from a separate low-pressure system that is expected to impact the area Monday.
Large, possibly damaging surf is expected this weekend into Tuesday. The National Weather Service in Oxnard, California, is mentioning the potential of moderate coastal flooding and damage to coastal structures. The threat of rip currents will be high, as well.

It looks like we have a massive carbon monoxide emission on the coast of New Jersey. See the map here:

_http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/chem/surface/level/overlay=cosc/orthographic=-75.35,39.26,3000/loc=-102.308,11.670

Seems the juries still out on this one but the main theories are: fake, or that "the force of the tide coming into the coastal town in the Gulf of La Spezia is apparently so strong that it causes parts of the floor in the centre to move.[/b]

Either way, it appears to be new to the residents - if it isn't fake, and to me it doesn't look it...

Is this a possessed pavement (or just a clever trick)? Spooky footage shows dockyard floor 'BREATHING'

https://youtu.be/I0t782XXfBU
Footage shows the 'possessed' paved dockyard moving in Cadimare, Italy
Local media claims the motion is a result of waves beneath the pavement
Some people claim that the video is a result of 3D computer graphics

By Georgia Diebelius For Mailonline

Published: 18:08, 7 March 2016
| Updated: 00:54, 8 March 2016

31F6BAD800000578-3480707-image-a-27_1457372428411.jpg

Unnerving footage of a pavement appearing to take a series of deep breaths has emerged online.

The clip shows the 'possessed' paved dockyard in Cadimare, Italy, rising and falling from the 'force of the tide', local media reports.

Despite claims that the movement is caused by waves beneath the pathway, some people remain unconvinced, claiming that the video was made courtesy of 3D computer graphics.
At the beginning of the footage, the affected dockway remains still with a barrier placed above it

After a few seconds, viewers can hear waves as the pavement begins to lurch upwards before resettling

At the beginning of the footage, which was uploaded to Viral Hog, the affected dockway remains still with a barrier placed above it.

After a few seconds, viewers can hear waves as the pavement begins to lurch upwards before resettling.

According to Nine Msn, the force of the tide coming into the coastal town in the Gulf of La Spezia is apparently so strong that it causes parts of the floor in the centre to move.

People have claimed online that the moving pavement is actually down to Gozer the Destroyer from Ghostbusters, who haunts the ground.
One YouTube commenter said: 'It's not real. Look at the legs of the steel barrier, they're 3D computer graphics'
+3

One YouTube commenter said: 'It's not real. Look at the legs of the steel barrier, they're 3D computer graphics'

Despite several comments stating that the dockyard's movement is caused by the water beneath it, many remain sceptical.

One YouTube user, Lucassnakesman said: 'That's either some amazing special effects or something really f***** up is going on.

Another said: 'It's not real. Look at the legs of the steel barrier, they're 3D computer graphics.'
Read more:

Street in Italy is either possessed or something is very wrong with the earth | Pickle
Il respiro del mare nel piazzale di Cadimare - YouTube

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3480707/Is-possessed-pavement-just-clever-trick-Spooky-footage-shows-dockyard-floor-BREATHING.html#ixzz42L5QIC2i
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'd vote for the sea wave theory. The substrate of the paving may only be compromised right underneath the bricks, like a small pothole. Notice there's a section of the pavement that's lighter than the rest right in line with the moving bricks. It reminds me of saltwater bleaching.

Concerning sudden stratospheric warmings and this hypothesis about "Super Derecho", I fell on this in the study of [Seidel et al., (2016), Stratospheric temperature changes during the satellite era]

The stratospheric T° response to ENSO (El Nino South Oscillation) is cooling in the tropics and warming at higher latitudes during the El Niño phase. The tropical cooling has been attributed to enhanced tropical upwelling [Calvo et al., 2010], and the high-latitude warming is consistent with the ENSO influence on the incidence of sudden stratospheric warmings [e.g., van Loon and Labitzke, 1987; Taguchi and Hartmann, 2006; Garfinkel and Hartmann, 2007].

I don't still read the studies quoted because i'm busy with other stuff for now but for what I know, it's seems coherent. We have this great El nino this year and SSWs have also occured this winter, leading to those rough periodes in US winter.

The ENSO response in the tropopshere is generally warming sea and enhanced evaporation wich lead to enhanced upwelling winds/precipitations and the stregthening of the Hadley Cell and the underlying cells toward the poles.

Figure-4-Global-cells(edit)2.jpg

In the stratosphere, this cooling in the tropics and warming at higher latitudes is also consistent with the strenghtening of the Brewer-Dobson (B-D) circulation toward the pole. There are evidences of the strengthening of this ciruculation since the late 90' but as for many thing in atmospheric sciences, we can't be sure at 100%.

Nimbus_ozone_Brewer-Dobson_circulation.jpg

And this just made me think about that :

May 9, 1998
Q: Well, how could that be? What caused these glaciers?
A: Global warming.
Q: How does global warming cause glaciers?
A: Increases precipitation dramatically. Then moves the belt of great precipitation much farther north. This causes rapid buildup of ice sheets, followed by increasingly rapid and intense glacial rebound.

Enough interresting for me to share with you.

Heavy rains in California are creating mudslides and damaging roadways. A collapsed hillside has washed out a chunk of this roadway.

Northern California highway crumbles as storm-soaked hillside collapses
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-state-highway-northern-california-storms-20160316-story.html

Days of rain caused a hillside to collapse and part of a state highway through Trinity County to crumble and wash away this week, cutting off a main pass for locals, Caltrans officials said.

A stretch of pavement several car-lengths long was washed away on California 3 north of Weaverville along with the hillside that supported it between Monday night and Tuesday morning, photos posted on Caltrans' Facebook page showed. The area, along with most of the northern portion of California, has been soaked by a series of storms since the beginning of the month.

Trinity Center has received about 5½ inches of rain in the last week, National Weather Service meteorologist Kathleen Lewis said. She said the highway collapse cut off a main thoroughfare for locals on the edge of the Shasta-Trinity National Forest.

Caltrans said that contractors would survey the damage Wednesday and that some traffic could resume on the road within eight weeks. Full repairs could take two to three months, the agency said.

“This isn’t completely unheard of,” Lewis said. “When we see heavy rains, we always see heavy slides around here. Especially because the terrain is steep.”

Farther south, California 36 east of Forest Glen was closed because of a mud and rock slide, Caltrans said.

Along the state's northern coast, it seems as if it has never stopped raining, Lewis said, pointing out that on only three days this month — March 3, 7 and 15 — has it not rained in Eureka.

The coastal rains have wreaked their own havoc. On Friday, Caltrans posted a photo of a mudslide on Highway 1 in Mendocino County that almost tipped a Caltrans dump truck over a cliff.

While causing some dangerous conditions, the storms are also filling some of California’s reservoirs to levels not seen in years.

Very interesting indeed.

I'm still wondering how exactly were the mammoth flash-frozen. When asked if a superderecho event deflected the Jet Stream towards the Earth's surface and caused flash freezing, the C's answered 'very close' and not 'exactly'. I think there is still something missing. :huh:

Pierre said:

Very interesting indeed.

I'm still wondering how exactly were the mammoth flash-frozen. When asked if a superderecho event deflected the Jet Stream towards the Earth's surface and caused flash freezing, the C's answered 'very close' and not 'exactly'. I think there is still something missing. :huh:

First thing that came to mind, what about severe thunderstorms that produce straight-line winds, as a result of outflow generated by the thunderstorm downdraft. There's generally a sudden temperature drop which produces large hailstones?

angelburst29 said:
Pierre said:

Very interesting indeed.

First thing that came to mind, what about severe thunderstorms that produce straight-line winds, as a result of outflow generated by the thunderstorm downdraft. There's generally a sudden temperature drop which produces large hailstones?

Speaking of intense thunderstorms .....

American Airlines Flight 4233 from Raleigh-Durham to LaGuardia was forced to make an emergency landing at JFK after the plane hit turbulence and was struck by lightning. (Video - Pilot recording)
http://news.yahoo.com/video/american-airlines-flight-struck-lightning-231924269.html

American Airlines flight makes emergency landing at JFK after being struck by lightning: FAA (Video)
http://pix11.com/2016/03/17/plane-makes-emergency-landing-at-jfk-after-being-struck-by-lightning-faa/

Posted 7:44 PM, March 17, 2016

American Airlines flight 4233 traveling from Raleigh-Durham International Airport to LaGuardia Airport made an emergency landing at John F. Kennedy International Airport after being struck by lightning.

According to the FAA, the plane landed safely at 6:06 p.m.

The FAA is investigating.

FAA released the following statement:

Republic Airlines 4233, an Embraer E170, landed safely at John F Kennedy International Airport at 6:06 pm tonight after reporting a lightning strike. The flight departed Raleigh-Durham International Airport enroute to LaGuardia Airport. The FAA will investigate.

This is a developing story, check back for updates ...

angelburst29 said:
Pierre said:

Very interesting indeed.

It's difficult to say something about this mammoth flash-frozen event . Some reports are contradictory about the perfect state of conservation and the magnitude of this event is not clear. Like you two, the main possibilitie arising in my mind is a phenomena likely assimilated to downburst.
It's also difficult to speculate compared with times which the topology was not strictly the same compared to today and could affect winds and sea patterns differently (even if we can considered that in a global way, it was realy close to now).

The fact is that such event does not occurs in holocene's times. So I tend to say that climate or solar variability, in the sense that we know now, could not be able to produce it. Therefore we have to find a more unsual phenomena. This phenomena could be asteroids/comets which left several mark at this times. I was thinking about that in relation to downburst and if atmospheric impacts could produce it. When you compare the print that this two phenomena leave in the ground, there are quite similar.

microburstdamageex1.gif

tunguska_event.jpg

But i was missing the fact that in the case of the Tunguska event, the center part has been carbonized and not frozen :lol:.

For now, my thinking is that in general, the main culprit for the extinction at the Young Dryas was space bolids. This impacts have subsenquently led to chaotic atmospherics behavior, one of wich being perhaps incredible multicellular thunderstorms, which in theory, could produce this mammoth flash-frozen event. But it's just speculation :D.

Just for the anecdote (The authenticity of the story remains to be proved) :

French to english with a translator :

In his novel Kaputt ( 1943 ), the Italian writer Curzio Malaparte tells the following anecdote, probably arisen in 1942 during the seat(siege) of Leningrad: the third day an enormous fire declared itself in the forest of Raikkola. Men, horses and trees imprisoned into the circle of fire shouted in a hideous way. (...) Crazy about terror, the horses of the Soviet artillery - there was an one thousand - dashed(launched) into the furnace and escaped flames and machine guns. Many died in flames, but most succeeded in reaching the bank of the lake and threw(cast) themselves into the water. (...)

The North wind arose during the night (...) The cold became terrible. Suddenly, with the particular tone of the glass breaking, the water froze (...)

The day following, when the first patrols, the singed hair, reached the bank, a horrible and surprising show(entertainment) appeared at them. The lake looked like a vast surface of white marble on which would have been put down(deposited) the heads of hundred horses. (Curzio Malaparte, Kaputt)

The astrophysicist and the popularizer Hubert Reeves resumes this narrative and considers it as sincere in his book The Hour to get drunk (1986). He emits the hypothesis that the almost immediate frost(gel) of the water of the lake was caused by a fast change of phase due to the presumed state of surfusion of the water at the time of the incident.

http://www.dinosoria.com/mammouth_enigme.htm

Speaking of Glacier rebounds, I remembered this article about Dr. Christian Schlüchter's findings of a 4,000 year old forest on the edge of Switzerland's ice field glaciers. Switzerland's mountain ranges sit either side of 46.5 degrees latitude.

SoTT - Receding Swiss glaciers reveal 4000 year old forests - Warmists try to suppress findings

Dr. Christian Schlüchter's discovery of 4,000-year-old chunks of wood at the leading edge of a Swiss glacier was clearly not cheered by many members of the global warming doom-and-gloom science orthodoxy.

This finding indicated that the Alps were pretty nearly glacier-free at that time, disproving accepted theories that they only began retreating after the end of the little ice age in the mid-19th century. As he concluded, the region had once been much warmer than today, with "a wild landscape and wide flowing river."

Dr. Schlüchter's report might have been more conveniently dismissed by the entrenched global warming establishment were it not for his distinguished reputation as a giant in the field of geology and paleoclimatology who has authored/coauthored more than 250 papers and is a professor emeritus at the University of Bern in Switzerland.
[...]
Schlüchter criticizes his critics for focusing on a time period which is "indeed too short." His studies and analyses of a Rhone glacier area reveal that "the rock surface had [previously] been ice-free 5,800 of the last 10,000 years."

Such changes can occur very rapidly. His research team was stunned to find trunks of huge trees near the edge of Mont Miné Glacier which had all died in just a single year. They determined that time to be 8,200 years ago based upon oxygen isotopes in the Greenland ice which showed marked cooling.

Casting serious doubt upon alarmist U.N.-IPCC projections that the Alps will be nearly glacier-free by 2100, Schlüchter poses several challenging questions: "Why did the glaciers retreat in the middle of the 19th century, although the large CO2 increase in the atmosphere came later? Why did the Earth 'tip' in such a short time into a warming phase? Why did glaciers again advance in the 1880s, 1920s, and 1980s? . . . Sooner or later climate science will have to answer the question why the retreat of the glacier at the end of the Little Ice Age around 1850 was so rapid."
[...]

{the whole article is worth reading - the following bold was from the article}

Schlüchter warns that the reputation of science is becoming more and more damaged as politics and money gain influence. He concludes, "For me it also gets down to the credibility of science . . . Today many natural scientists are helping hands of politicians, and are no longer scientists who occupy themselves with new knowledge and data. And that worries me."

Huge radiation spike in Visaginas, Lithuania 1.3 million nSv/hour

march 19, 2016 - Huge gamma radiation spike near Visaginas, Lithuania. Radiation level measured obtained from EUropean Radiological Data Exchange Platform shows a maximum of 1.3 milllion nSv/hour. The other closer radiation sensors (5-7 km) did not detected abnormal radiation levels.

https://remap.jrc.ec.europa.eu/GammaDoseRates.aspx

angelburst29 said:
Huge radiation spike in Visaginas, Lithuania 1.3 million nSv/hour

march 19, 2016 - Huge gamma radiation spike near Visaginas, Lithuania. Radiation level measured obtained from EUropean Radiological Data Exchange Platform shows a maximum of 1.3 milllion nSv/hour. The other closer radiation sensors (5-7 km) did not detected abnormal radiation levels.

https://remap.jrc.ec.europa.eu/GammaDoseRates.aspx

There's a nuclear power plant on the Visaginas municipality land, maybe that's the source of radiation?

The more i read, the more are the proofs of a significant great shift in climatic behavior since the late 70' / early 80'.

- We have first the shift between temperature and solar irradiance. J.P. Rozelot and S. Lefebvre in "Is it possible to find a solar signature in the current climatic warming?" say :

The analysis was first conducted over the following three independent periods of time: 1856–1910, 1910–1945 and 1946–1975. An example is given in Fig. 2. The trends
obtained are given in Table 1 where the first line shows the values obtained for the temperature data and the sec- ond for the irradiance. A linear fit, as depicts in Fig. 3
(points represented by diamonds), gives a rather unexpected high correlation value of r = 0.98. It can be obviously objected that this may be fortuitous. The process was thus repeated for an other set of independent period of time, chosen in such a way that the trends in the temperatures are still significant: 1885–1940 and 1941–1975. At last we added two other sets, 1856–1887, 1856–1975. The linearity is still obtained.

Changes from 1861 to 1975 show an unexpected remarkable correlation, whereas the period 1976–2000 completely deviates from the previous analysis.

It can be illustrated by the following image :

Capture%2Bdu%2B2016-03-22%2B18%253A07%253A53.png

Gray, L. J., et al. (2010), Solar influences on climate, Rev. Geophys., 48, RG4001

- Atmospheric layers : The cooling of the termopshere accelerated since the 80'.

2011%2B-%2BCapture%2Bdu%2B2016-02-27%2B15%253A47%253A48.png

2011%2B-%2BCapture%2Bdu%2B2016-02-27%2B16%253A00%253A39.png

If we only take the period starting at the 80', we have a greater cooling :

2011%2B-%2BCapture%2Bdu%2B2016-02-27%2B16%253A00%253A55.png

Zhang, S.-R., J. M. Holt, and J. Kurdzo (2011), Millstone Hill ISR observations of upper atmospheric long‐term changes: Height dependency, J. Geophys. Res., 116, A00H05

- The Mesosphere is also cooling since at least the early 80 ' (early data are more uncertain) :

2003-3.png

Beig, G., et al., Review of mesospheric temperature trends, Rev. Geophys., 41(4), 1015, doi:10.1029/2002RG000121, 2003.

2014-3.png

P. Kishore et al., Long-term trends observed in the middle atmosphere temperatures using ground based LIDARs and satellite borne measurements 2014

- The cooling of the stratosphere seems also to has accelerated since the late 70' :

2001%2B-%2BCapture%2Bdu%2B2016-03-12%2B16%253A39%253A29.png

Ramaswamy et al.: STRATOSPHERIC TEMPERATURE TREND 2001

2016%2B-%2BCapture%2Bdu%2B2016-03-15%2B11%253A10%253A36.png

Seidel, D. J., J. Li, C. Mears, I. Moradi, J. Nash, W. J. Randel, R. Saunders, D. W. J. Thompson, and C.-Z. Zou (2016), Stratospheric temperature changes during the satellite era, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 121

One can noted the suspension of the cooling trend in the stratosphere since the middle / late 90' mostly caused by the stagnation / decrease of ozone depletion gases like Chlorofluocarbones and thus, the stop of the decreasing ozone trend (In the upper atmosphere (AMSU 12, 13, 14 channels) it's more difficult to distinguished the trend because of the greater solar variability) :

2011%2B-%2BCsdsd.png

D. W. J. Thompson, and C.-Z. Zou (2016), Stratospheric temperature changes during the satellite era, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 121

2009-2%2BOzone.png

W. Steinbrecht et al. Ozone and temperature trends in the upper stratosphere at five stations of the Network for the Detection of Atmospheric Composition Change 2009

It is interesting to observe the synchronicity between the stratospheric "hiatus" and also the tropospheric "hiatus" occuring in the same time.

1711years.png

It make me think that one part of the increasing surface temperature since the 80' can be attributed to ozone depletion, allowing to more energetic UV to reach the surface and warm the ground and oceans.

- We have also a significant shift to a positive trend at the end of the 70' about oceans decadal oscilations :

image017.jpg

No one realy knows what is the cause of this shift who affecte the earth and the entire atmosphere. I still found some hypotheses. For me, the most interesting is the study of Oliver, W. L., S.-R. Zhang, and L. P. Goncharenko (2013), Is thermospheric global cooling caused by gravity waves?

Manabe and Wetherald [1967] first showed that an increase in CO2 content in the atmosphere would heat the atmosphere below about the tropopause (by absorbing IR radiations from the ground) and cool the atmosphere above that level (by radiating thermal energy to space). Roble and Dickinson [1989] calculated the degree of cooling above 60 km altitude that one would expect for a doubling of greenhouse gas content at that altitude. They estimated a global mean cooling of 50 K near 350 km altitude. Holt and Zhang [2008], however, in considering the 1978–2007 database of incoherent scatter radar measurements of ion temperature collected at 375 km above Millstone Hill (43 ı N, 289 ı E), found a noontime cooling rate of 47 K per decade, or a 141 K decline over the span of their measurements. As the CO2 concentration increased only 12% during this time period, the simulation would estimate only an 6 K decline. Donaldson et al. [2010] conducted an independent analysis of the 1966–1987 Saint Santin (45 ı N, 2 ı E) radar database and confirmed the Holt and Zhang [2008] finding. In light of this stark factor-of-20 disagreement between theory and observation, processes other than CO2 cooling have been sought to explain the observations. Based on the Saint Santin data, Walsh and Oliver [2011] suggested some agency of O3 as the cooling source, based on the coincidence in time between the beginning of the temperature decline and the beginning of a strong decrease in O 3 content in the lower atmosphere. Laštovicka [2012] noted, however, that the longer 1978–2007 Millstone Hill data showed that the
temperature continued to decline beyond 1994, when the O3 content began a long recovery. [ 3 ] During our efforts to identify the cause of the great temperature decline in the thermosphere, we have noticed a correlation between the behavior of that temperature and the behavior of ENSO (El Niño–Southern Oscillation) activity, both in the timing of an onset of change, a subsequent linear trend, and decadal variations about that trend. This recognition has led us to ask if gravity waves, produced by wind action over the oceans and propagated to the upper atmosphere, may be responsible for cooling that upper region. Recent simulations [e.g., Yigit and Medvedev, 2009] show that gravity waves are expected to cool the thermosphere on the order of 100 K, the order of long-term cooling observed. We know of no other agency capable of cooling the thermosphere by that amount long term.

Capture%2Bdu%2B2016-03-22%2B19%253A39%253A39.png

Why is the cooling so much larger than expected, (2) why has the cooling lasted so long, and (3) why is the thermospheric density response to the cooling so small? We have speculated that gravity waves may have caused this cooling, based on recent simulations that show that gravity waves are expected to cool the upper thermosphere by an amount comparable to the long-term cooling observed. A gravity wave proxy formed from the nontidal fluctuations in T° ion showed a positive long-term trend throughout its timeline, consistent with the increasing cooling observed. Fluctuations of T° ion about its long-term trendline were seen to anticorrelate both with fluctuations in the gravity wave proxy and with decadal fluctuations in El Niño–Southern Oscillation (ENSO) activity. The time scales of the long-term trend and the decadal fluctuations are characteristic of the ocean, not the atmosphere. We have suggested that the following scenario may explain these behaviors: (a) the climate regime shift of 1976–1977 launched slow Rossby waves across the oceans, waves which continue to propagate to this day; (b) winds over this increasingly corrugated ocean have launched increasing fluxes of gravity waves into the atmosphere; (c) these increasing fluxes of gravity waves have propagated to the thermosphere to produce increasing amounts of cooling; and (d) the decadal increases in winds associated with the decadal increases in ENSO activity have produced decadal increases in gravity wave fluxes, which, in turn, have caused decadal cooling in the thermosphere. The strong thermospheric cooling seen would be expected to produce thermospheric density declines much larger than those observed via satellite drag if the density at the base of the thermosphere were unchanging. We have noted that a lowering of the turbopause by about 4 km would raise atomic oxygen densities and completely compensate for that large expected density decline at 350 km altitude and referenced evidence of that lowering. We have asked if the heat pumped by gravity waves from the upper thermosphere to the lower thermosphere may augment the positive temperature gradient in the turbopause region, thereby making it more stable against the development of turbulence, and hence lowering the turbopause itself. Our proposed answers to our three posed questions are that the magnitude of the cooling is due to the agency of atmospheric gravity waves, that the length of the cooling is due to agency of ocean Rossby waves, and that the small density response is due to the lowering of the turbopause.
The ocean effect is a long-term transient response to forcing of unknown origin. The atmospheric effect is a steady state response to ocean forcing. This scenario may have validity, but it is unproved. The ocean Rossby wave source is purely speculative. Those Rossby waves, if they should exist, cannot be detected amongst the larger ocean eddies with current observational capabilities. (We ask if the very smallness of these ocean waves may be essential in that it leads to atmospheric gravity waves that are able to propagate to the upper thermosphere without growing to their breaking amplitude and dissipating at lower altitude.) For the existence of increasing amounts of gravity waves in the thermosphere, however, we have the evidence from our data of the increasing amounts of nontidal fluctuations in temperature. If the theorists and modelers [e.g., Walterscheid, 1981; Yi ̆git and Medvedev, 2009] are correct, this increasing gravity wave flux should increasingly cool the thermosphere. 42 ] These speculations need broad vetting by additional studies based on other data sets and of applicable theory. [ 43 ] We believe that the magnitude of the thermospheric temperature decline has been so great that the CO2 theory of its cooling cannot be maintained. It is certainly possible, however, that increased greenhouse warming at surface level has initiated the train of events that has led to the cooling by others means.

And it's not just only the El Niño–Southern Oscillation but almost all oscillations which have drifted in the same periode of time. So, if we consider this theory more or less true, we have still the need to find what cause the drift in the oceans. The C's have mentionned the cycle heating about the earth. When Pierre asked about El Nino, they said that it was powered by some space energetic flux. I give my tongue to the cat :P

Back
Top Bottom