The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

Siberia,

Thanks for the amazing pictures! It is amazing how the people have adapted to such cold weather. I guess it's like free "cold therapy". Try to stay warm! I guess you already know a thing or two about that though. :P

Geeze, that's so cold it's like the cryo chambers, only REAL! And I know what -70 feels like!!!

Laura said:
Geeze, that's so cold it's like the cryo chambers, only REAL! And I know what -70 feels like!!!

Yes, it's been really cold all around Western Siberia this week with some records here and there, e.g. the region where I live has just broken its 100-years' record this December with the lowest temperature of -46C (here is yesterday's local news about it in Russian).

"At Bolshoe Olkhovskoe oilfield there was a new record for the Khanti-Mansi region with a bone-crushing temperature of minus 62C. The village of Kazym in the same district of Beloyarsky hit minus 58C."

That is incredibly cold, Siberia. We regularly complain in the Canadian prairies about frigid temps in January and February, but I can only remember -50C once in my life for about 4 days. Tires on vehicles get square and engines never warm up. Everything mechanical works poorly or not at all. The worst part of it is the moisture it sucks out of your skin. Chronic itching all the time.

If western Siberia is warmer than eastern Siberia, I can't imagine what the "cold pole" in Yakutia must be like. I think anything under -30C just feels exteme, period. It becomes degrees of will and resistance to enjoy the outdoors after that, but the pain is the same :-)

Jtucker said:
That is incredibly cold, Siberia. We regularly complain in the Canadian prairies about frigid temps in January and February, but I can only remember -50C once in my life for about 4 days. Tires on vehicles get square and engines never warm up. Everything mechanical works poorly or not at all. The worst part of it is the moisture it sucks out of your skin. Chronic itching all the time.

It's the same for me, Jtucker. The coldest temperature that I've ever experienced in my life was -54C (here in Western Siberia) and it was also only once in my life and only for a few days. The cold if it's dry is bearable, but combined with other factors, such as wind and humidity, it can be painful and dangerous indeed. And it's true about anything mechanical or electronic, machines can barely work in such conditions and often collapse.

As for the skin, it really helps me when I use fatty creams for skin protection. The workers who operate in the far north where it's extremely cold also use pure fat for this purpose.

Jtucker said:
If western Siberia is warmer than eastern Siberia, I can't imagine what the "cold pole" in Yakutia must be like. I think anything under -30C just feels exteme, period. It becomes degrees of will and resistance to enjoy the outdoors after that, but the pain is the same :-)

I knew one girl from Yakutia some years ago, she told me that when it was -60C there, even the air was crunching as they walked outside. But they are better adapted to cold temperatures, even the children go to school most of the time, except for some really extreme cases.

I knew one girl from Yakutia some years ago, she told me that when it was -60C there, even the air was crunching as they walked outside. But they are better adapted to cold temperatures, even the children go to school most of the time, except for some really extreme cases.

I came across a video about a school in Siberia getting children to play outside in the snow to build their immunity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ihMP-I3l8 They also pour a bucket of water on themselves to strengthen their immune system.

There's an article about it here http://siberiantimes.com/healthandlifestyle/others/news/like-ducks-to-water-in-the-snow-keeping-kids-healthy-siberian-style/ that says they do it even in as low as -30 degrees celcius.

Gosh, I shiver from just looking at it! :scared:

Ant22 said:

I came across a video about a school in Siberia getting children to play outside in the snow to build their immunity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ihMP-I3l8 They also pour a bucket of water on themselves to strengthen their immune system.

There's an article about it here http://siberiantimes.com/healthandlifestyle/others/news/like-ducks-to-water-in-the-snow-keeping-kids-healthy-siberian-style/ that says they do it even in as low as -30 degrees celcius.

Gosh, I shiver from just looking at it! :scared:

Wow! Another amazing fact. I think this is another "hit" for the Cs and cold therapy! :thup:

Snowplow drivers get stuck in 65 below zero temperatures (Video)
http://www.kulr8.com/story/34094147/snowplow-drivers-get-stuck-in-65-below-zero-temperatures

Dec 20, 2016 - CODY, Wyo. -
A blizzard in the Beartooth Mountains outside Cody trapped snow plow drivers and even the tow truck that came to pull them out. An amazing rescue saved one plow truck driver who spent all night in the cab of his plow. He survived deadly cold and wind.

In Cody Monday morning, just as temperatures rose above freezing for the first time in four days blinding blowing snow trapped a big backhoe in a drift, and it had to be pulled out with another rig.

All over town, tow truck operators were pulling cars out of the snow, even as the blizzard blinded them. But one of the men who saved Wyoming Department of Transportation tow truck drivers says conditions in the mountains outside Yellowstone Sunday morning were much worse…

Eagle Recovery Owner Mike Wood said, “The temperature gauge on one of our trucks was reading 65 below zero…”

Mechanic and Tow Truck Operator Brian Bragg remembered, “The wind was blowing 55 or 60 miles an hour at least.”

The weather was so bad 25 miles outside Cody on the Chief Joseph Highway Saturday night, a WYDOT snow plow was stuck in the drifts.

Tow truck operator Josh Parson drove a huge rig up the mountain to bring the snow plow and its driver back home to safety. Another snow plow led him toward the tight curves and switchbacks, but,

Parson explained, “The truck that was guiding me hit the first drift, and it took him right off the road.”

Parson pulled him back on the road. They were headed to the stranded plow driver deep in the mountains.

He said, “And that’s when we hit the big drift, probably five or six feet deep truck slid off again. And then that’s when I went in…we started sliding off the road.”

The boss, Mike Wood got the call then. It was two a.m. His wife begged him not to go.

Carisa Wood explained, “When I looked at the temperature and the situation and where they were going, I just couldn’t believe it. I’ve never seen it like that before.”

Wood knew it would be dangerous. When he Bragg arrived to pull out the snowplows and the huge tow truck, it was even worse than he imagined.

He said, “From the tow truck to one of my wreckers, it was cold enough to freeze my eyelids in that 200 feet.”

The men got the large tow truck, and the snowplow back on the road. But the snowplow kept getting stuck in the drifts. Wood said one three foot drift was a mile long. The distant plow operator was alone in the dark and cold, miles away.

But Wood and Bragg finally made it up to the plow that had been stranded all night long. They found the driver was safe…

“He was warm, in good spirits. He was happy to see us.”

They turned the plow around in the road. Wood says the plow truck driver started plowing again, clearing the road back to Cody.

Woods’ crew continued to pull cars and trucks out of drifts through Monday. Wyoming Department of Transportation spokesman Cody Beers said his plow crews continued to clear the roads for night and day through Monday.

angelburst29 said:
Snowplow drivers get stuck in 65 below zero temperatures (Video)
http://www.kulr8.com/story/34094147/snowplow-drivers-get-stuck-in-65-below-zero-temperatures

Dec 20, 2016 - CODY, Wyo. -
A blizzard in the Beartooth Mountains outside Cody trapped snow plow drivers and even the tow truck that came to pull them out. An amazing rescue saved one plow truck driver who spent all night in the cab of his plow. He survived deadly cold and wind.

In Cody Monday morning, just as temperatures rose above freezing for the first time in four days blinding blowing snow trapped a big backhoe in a drift, and it had to be pulled out with another rig.

All over town, tow truck operators were pulling cars out of the snow, even as the blizzard blinded them. But one of the men who saved Wyoming Department of Transportation tow truck drivers says conditions in the mountains outside Yellowstone Sunday morning were much worse…

Eagle Recovery Owner Mike Wood said, “The temperature gauge on one of our trucks was reading 65 below zero…”

Mechanic and Tow Truck Operator Brian Bragg remembered, “The wind was blowing 55 or 60 miles an hour at least.”

The weather was so bad 25 miles outside Cody on the Chief Joseph Highway Saturday night, a WYDOT snow plow was stuck in the drifts.

Tow truck operator Josh Parson drove a huge rig up the mountain to bring the snow plow and its driver back home to safety. Another snow plow led him toward the tight curves and switchbacks, but,

Parson explained, “The truck that was guiding me hit the first drift, and it took him right off the road.”

Parson pulled him back on the road. They were headed to the stranded plow driver deep in the mountains.

He said, “And that’s when we hit the big drift, probably five or six feet deep truck slid off again. And then that’s when I went in…we started sliding off the road.”

The boss, Mike Wood got the call then. It was two a.m. His wife begged him not to go.

Carisa Wood explained, “When I looked at the temperature and the situation and where they were going, I just couldn’t believe it. I’ve never seen it like that before.”

Wood knew it would be dangerous. When he Bragg arrived to pull out the snowplows and the huge tow truck, it was even worse than he imagined.

He said, “From the tow truck to one of my wreckers, it was cold enough to freeze my eyelids in that 200 feet.”

The men got the large tow truck, and the snowplow back on the road. But the snowplow kept getting stuck in the drifts. Wood said one three foot drift was a mile long. The distant plow operator was alone in the dark and cold, miles away.

But Wood and Bragg finally made it up to the plow that had been stranded all night long. They found the driver was safe…

“He was warm, in good spirits. He was happy to see us.”

They turned the plow around in the road. Wood says the plow truck driver started plowing again, clearing the road back to Cody.

Woods’ crew continued to pull cars and trucks out of drifts through Monday. Wyoming Department of Transportation spokesman Cody Beers said his plow crews continued to clear the roads for night and day through Monday.

Hi angelburst,

I read your article with interest because I live not too far from Cody, WY. I am on the opposite side of Yellowstone Park and at a higher elevation. We usually get the same storms where I live that they get in Cody. That weekend of the storm mentioned in the story you posted we got nowhere near -65 deg. Our low temps were about -35 deg F. Because of our higher altitude, our temps are usually colder than you find at Cody. That made me want to check the validity of the reported temps. I found this, which I believe to be more accurate due to my personal experience in the area.

This is a list of temps for Cody at the time:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/ObservationsSummary.aspx?location=USWY0035

This is a list of temps for West Yellowstone, MT for the same time:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/ObservationsSummary.aspx?location=USWY0035

Notice temps in West Yellowstone are slightly lower than Cody, which is normal. The lowest temps listed for Cody are -16 and -21 deg F. Once again, my experience would say these are more correct than the -65 deg temps reported in the story, otherwise the news would have been plastered with reports of record low temps. I noticed that Eagle Recovery Owner Mike Wood said, “The temperature gauge on one of our trucks was reading 65 below zero…” That was "one of our trucks", not all of our trucks. So I suspect this was a malfunctioning gauge.

Also, the pictures show bare asphalt road surfaces. Where I live, our roads are completely covered with snow, and we never have temperatures above freezing during the winter. Plow trucks in our area constantly plow snow on roads which stay snow covered all season and never get stuck. I am also suspecting that the men who plow the area around Cody are not as experienced plowing deeper snow and were not prepared for that type of storm. Also, the winds rarely get that high. Maybe in an occasional gust, but never consistently that high.

I am suspecting, and this is my personal opinion, that the temps and winds were exaggerated to cover for the inexperienced plow truck drivers getting stuck.

This guy interestingly speculates on correlations between the recent flooding in Central Australia, drought in Egypt and the Earth's history of solar cycles and ice ages. I found the post in FB group 'A New Little Ice Age Has Started':

https://youtu.be/ckq42bBLI0k

A new study concerning AMOC gives more credibility to a possible Day after Tomorrow scenario:

https://www.sott.net/article/338694-Study-finds-potential-instability-in-Atlantic-Ocean-water-circulation-system-could-trigger-global-cooling

One of the world's largest ocean circulation systems may not be as stable as today's weather models predict, according to a new study.

In fact, changes in the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) — the same deep-water ocean current featured in the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" — could occur quite abruptly, in geologic terms, the study says. The research appears in the Jan. 4 online edition of the journal Science Advances.

"We show that the possibility of a collapsed AMOC under global warming is hugely underestimated," said Wei Liu, a postdoctoral associate in the Department of Geology and Geophysics at Yale University and lead author of the study. Liu began the research when he was a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and continued it at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, prior to coming to Yale.

AMOC is responsible for carrying oceanic heat northward in the Atlantic Ocean. It consists of a lower limb of denser, colder water that flows south, and an upper limb of warm, salty water that flows north. The system is a major factor for regional climate change, affecting the Atlantic rim countries, especially those in Europe.

"In current models, AMOC is systematically biased to be in a stable regime," Liu said. "A bias-corrected model predicts a future AMOC collapse with prominent cooling over the northern North Atlantic and neighboring areas. This has enormous implications for regional and global climate change."

A collapse of the AMOC system, in Liu's model, would cool the Northern Atlantic Ocean, cause a spreading of Arctic sea ice, and move tropical Atlantic rain belts farther south.

While a calamity on the order of the fictional plot of "The Day After Tomorrow" is not indicated, the researchers said a significant weather change could happen quickly in the next few centuries.

"It's a very provocative idea," said study co-author Zhengyu Liu, professor of atmospheric and oceanic sciences, and of environmental studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Center for Climatic Research in the Nelson Institute. "For me it's a 180-degree turn because I had been thinking like everyone else."

The researchers stressed that their new model may require additional refinement, as well. They said detailed information about water salinity, ocean temperature, and melting ice — over a period of decades — is essential to the accuracy of AMOC models.

The researchers also noted the major impact that climate change itself has on AMOC patterns. Additional carbon dioxide, for example, warms the cold water of the North Atlantic. Such developments would have an impact on AMOC behavior, the researchers said.

Other co-authors of the study are Shang-Ping Xie of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and Jiang Zhu of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The National Science Foundation, the U.S. Department of Energy, and the Ministry of Science and Technology of the People's Republic of China funded the research.

On Christmas Eve, the temperatures in Russia dropped to a record low for the last 120 years. On January, 7 the temperature fell to -29.9 degrees in Moscow, and - 33.4 - in the countryside.

'Ice Age': Social Media Users React to Russia's Christmas Frosts
https://sputniknews.com/art_living/201701081049370393-ice-age-russia-christmas-frosts/

The "abnormal" cold has been vividly discussed by social media users.

Some of them shared photos of frosty patterns that appeared on their windows on Christmas night.

Moreover, the "abnormal" frosts gave Moscow residents a chance to enjoy the rare optical phenomenon — the halo or a "winter rainbow."

According to weather forecasters, the temperatures will start rising on Sunday. By the end of next week, the temperature in Moscow is expected to reach a balmy —2 degrees.

Last few days very low temperatures in Macedonia too. Last night was more than -20C. THe lowest temperature in the country was -28C.
Next morning a lot of people were buying new car batteries, including me.
:)

Me, my wife and my son love to walk in those temperatures and when other people notice us they cant believe how can we do that. People are so scared to go out when it is cold.

On the other hand, I noticed that people cant accept the reality that out climate is getting colder. When I said that we may face some kind of an ice age in very near future they usually said that its not possible and that we had even stronger winter in the past and that is just this year. They cant accept the idea of an ice age.They cant accept the idea that nature can change and that the planet is much more hostile place than they can imagine.
People are so unprepared for a such a scenario that it will be a real disaster.

Their usual response is that it happened before and it will pass.But very soon it will not, and then the real drama will begin.

:halo:
I-80 remains closed as blizzard dumps 10 feet (3.0480 meters), of snow on Sierra (USA California - Videos & Pic's)
_http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/I-80-in-Sierra-closed-as-rare-blizzard-warning-10847604.php
By Jenna Lyons Updated 5:26 pm, Tuesday, January 10, 2017
1024x1024.jpg

1-10-17 Truckee, CA Blizzard Buries Historic Downtown

https://youtu.be/gBKm-Bou3aw

Storm Watch: 175 Mph WINDS Squaw Valley Intense FLOODING WHITEOUT NorCal Property DAMAGE
Jan 10, 2017
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev7-syMhbfI

This article (in Russian) gives some stats about number of spotless sun days:

2015 - 0 days
2016 - 32 days
2017 - 10 days

This year there was only one tiny sun spot (03.01) which disappeared after several hours.

:scared:

Back
Top Bottom