The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

We've got all sorts going on where I am, including the circumzenithal arc, or upside down rainbow!

Much of northern England enjoyed a rare optical display on Sunday evening.
Thin, high cloud gave a spectacular show of halos, arcs and upside-down rainbows across the North East and Cumbria, not often seen together in the UK.
The phenomena are caused by sunlight reflecting and refracting through ice crystals high in the atmosphere.
BBC Look North weather presenter Jennifer Bartram said it was "very unusual".

View attachment _129899629_3973d550-eee1-4720-9218-771d675e4d22.jpg.webp

View attachment _129899630_34e90fef-d516-437e-8544-cbbd479c3eb8.jpg.webp
View attachment _129899628_0f2bca53-ebd1-4399-ac30-4cd0a09e7a44.jpg.webp

We've got all sorts going on where I am, including the circumzenithal arc, or upside down rainbow!

View attachment 75141

View attachment 75142
View attachment 75144

Someone just posted another image of this event, which is similar, but at least one aspect of it can be seen in more detail; the 'halo' connecting the sun and it's reflections on the left and right. I think that's the first time i've seen that. The image was apparently taken on the same day in Belfast, Ireland:

1685477320092.png

Attachments

• 1685477123132.png
    1685477123132.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 1
🇸🇪 Sweden • Unusual cool June nights
& National cold record in Finland for the month o June.
2 June 2023

Already last evening while at work, I was aware that something appeared to be off with the (night) temperatures. Lately the nights have felt chilly - but is that enough to wonder ? (Though, I am still wearing my thick leather jacket and underpants). At the same time, i saw in the evening rather low values in places I would not expect them this time of the year. Such as; the tiny island in the Baltic Sea, between Gotland and Stockholm archipelago called Gotska Sandön, reporting only 4°C, and Visby on Gotland only 3°C. How strange, I thought... I mean, in June.

Freezing hands in sunshine
This morning, on my way home, the sun was shining - but boy it felt COLD ! (I saw plenty of dudes with shot pants and wondered... aren't they cold ?!) Standing at Gullmarsplan station in the southern city, around 06:00 - my hands felt freezing. How odd. Despite a temperature of not so unusual 6°C there, yet the windchill was 2-3°C... coming like an unbidden, unwanted memory of winter... in June !

This morning, SMHI, the Swedish Meteorological Institute, wrote an article about unusual cold June nights. Nice ! So, something was a bit off after all. Notice that in Southern Sweden, temperatures fell down to -1.7°C in a place called Hagshult, -1.5°C in Horn, and -0.4°C in the town of Kalmar located at the south east coast.

Here is the article:

Unusually cool June nights
Updated June 2, 2023 Published June 2, 2023

June 2023 has begun with unusually cool nights both in the north and south. Locally, there have been the lowest June temperatures in 30-50 years. Finland even reports a national cold record for June.

Vaderanalys23060112.jpg
Analysis of the weather situation at 14:00 on June 1, 2023 • Illustration SMHI

The overall weather picture
is fairly typical for cold air outbreaks during the summer. We have an area of low pressure over northwest Russia and a powerful high pressure over the North Atlantic. Like a letter in the mail, northerly to northwesterly winds come over Scandinavia.

It is mainly stations in northernmost Sweden and coastal stations in southern Sweden that have experienced unusually cool June nights.

_-2023-06-02-at-17.28.08.png

Fresh snow in the far north
Snow has also fallen in northern Lapland. Kiruna reported 4 cm of new snow on Thursday, June 1, and Karesuando and Lannavaara had 1 cm.

In Katterjåkk, the snow depth increased from 19 cm at noon on May 31 to a maximum of 31 cm on the morning of June 1.

In Abisko the maximum snow depth was 4 cm. To find a greater snow depth there in June, we have to go to June 12, 1981 when it was also 4 cm. Now it should be said that in both Abisko and Katterjåkk there are automatic snow depth meters with continuous measurements throughout the day. In the past, at best [only] one measurement per day was made.

[New National] Cold Record in Finland
At Finland's highest weather station, Kilpisjärvi Saana (1007 meters above sea level), it was -7.7° on 1 June 2023, which according to the Finnish weather service is a new Finnish June record. The previous record was -7.0° from Inari Laanila on June 3, 1962. However, measurements at the highest altitudes in Finland have not been taken for many decades.

Kilpisjärvi Saana is located near Treriksröset. Swedish stations in that area are at lower levels. For example, we have never had one on our northernmost mountain Pältsa.

In any case, -7.7° would not match the lowest June temperatures we have had at our highest stations. We only have to go to June 2, 2017 when it was -9.2° in Tarfala (1144 m). On June 2, 1907 it was -12.9° at Vassitjåkko (1372 m).

Article written by Sverker Hellström, SMHI

Chanshal Pass receives late heavy snowfall in Himachal Pradesh, India - 17.7 inches of snow

The Chanshal Pass near Rohru in Shimla district covered by a white blanket of snow on Thursday.

The Chanshal Pass near Rohru in Shimla district covered by a white blanket of snow on Thursday.

The Chanshal area near Rohru in Shimla district has received snowfall in the latest spell of precipitation, leaving the local people surprised. Many claim that it's probably the first time the place has received snowfall this late in summer.

"I don't remember having seen snowfall at Chanshal in late May. We can see 3-4 inches fresh snow in Chanshal area. This is something unprecedented," said Sanjeev Thakur, an orchardist from Rohru.

Meanwhile, the weather department said having snow at Chanshal at this time of the year was surprising and rare..
At Chanshal Pass, the department has recorded 45 cm snowfall. "Due to the heavy and continuous rains over the last few days, the temperatures have gone down significantly. The snowfall is the result of such low temperatures," said Surender Paul, Director, Meteorological Centre, Shimla.

Over the last few days, both maximum and minimum temperatures are way below normal. Today, the average maximum temperatures were over 9 degree Celsius less than normal. Both maximum and minimum temperatures over the next week are likely stay below normal.

Meanwhile, several places have received moderate to heavy rainfall over the last 24 hours. The places which received heaviest rainfall are Dharampur (87mm), Kasauli (80 mm), Kahu (75mm), Jatton Barrage (73mm), Sangrah 58 (mm), Naina Devi (54mm) and Solan (52mm). Due to the heavy precipitation, 34 roads have been closed and 18 transformers disrupted.

"Absurdly cold temperature in the antarctic"

(only 5 minutes, from :17:45 - :22:20)

"New study reveals Antarctic ice shelf area has grown by 5305 km^2 from 2009-2019 "

Part of this study states that several thousand km's of the Antarctic ice shelf have melted - which is what the climate crises people tend to latch onto to make their point. They almost never include the data that shows that other parts of the shelf are gaining in volume more than other parts are losing their volume - for what amounts to a significant net gain. A good point to make if ever talking about it this with someone I think.

It would be interesting to know if this process has accelerated since 2019 or has remained consistent throughout, btw.

Here are the numbers from the Watts Up With That site:

4 Conclusions

This study has generated a comprehensive dataset of change in ice shelf area on 34 Antarctica ice shelves over the last decade. Overall, ice shelves on the Antarctic Peninsula and West Antarctica lost areas of 6693 km2 and 5563 km2, respectively, while East Antarctic ice shelves gained 3532 km2 of ice, and the large ice shelves of Ross, Ronne, and Filchner grew by 14 028 km2 (total). This dataset is a high spatial resolution record of change from 2009 to 2019, which shows the regional differences in ice shelf calving behaviour and documents the frequency and magnitude of ice shelf calving events across the continent on decadal timescales. These observations will be useful for regional studies of ice shelf change in Antarctica and can be used as an input dataset for modelling studies or as a validation dataset for future studies that develop more automated methods of measuring change in ice shelf calving front position. Future studies should use the historical satellite data archives to extend the record of ice shelf area change, which will allow us to establish whether there is a long-term change in ice shelf calving frequency in Antarctica. We must develop and apply automated techniques to increase the frequency with which calving front measurements can be made, particularly on smaller ice shelves and glaciers, which will allow shorter-term, seasonal calving behaviour to be characterised and monitored.

"Absurdly cold temperature in the antarctic"

(only 5 minutes, from :17:45 - :22:20)

He compares what is happening now - coming year - to the events of 536 AD. Interesting.

Cs said it was cometary disasters and the Europe was on fire (and other places). So, I don't think Dubyne really understands what was happening then.

burning throughout Canada this size. Crews have been using natural barriers, dozer line, and firing operations to try and box these fires in. Thanks to the subscriber that sent this footage in. Cheers brother

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 08-27-53 American Meteor Society.png

Update:

Back
Top Bottom