The Lying

Eongar

Dagobah Resident
This is a compilation on Gnosis I of Mouravieff. He talks about lying:

The faculty of lying:

The faculty of lying is the third element in our factitious life. It helps substantially to give it a semblance of continuity. We can easily realize the role played by this faculty of lying if we imagine what our existence would come to if this possibility were taken away. Life would become impossible, due to the shocks and conflicts which we would have to face. In this way, lies serve as buffers, like the buffers of railway carriages which soften shocks. It is this faculty of lying which makes our lives less of a rattle, and contributes greatly to the impression of continuity life gives us. We are brought back once again to the fact that we attribute to ourselves faculties which we do not possess — except as possibilities for develop- ment: we pretend to be truthful because telling the truth and living a truthful life are possibilities which can become real; but they can do so much later, after we have worked hard and long upon ourselves. In the meantime we are condemned to lie. Whoever denies this only testifies to our difficulty in facing the truth. (4) We must linger a while on the question of lying, a question of great importance to which we must return more than once. The faculty of Iyng is a function of our imagination, a creative faculty. Before we create anything we must imagine what it is we wish to create. This gift belongs only to humans. Animals never possess it.

It is thanks to this gift of imagination, a divine gift, that we have the faculty of lying. We lie for different reasons, wishing generally to ame- liorate situations which seem to us unbearable or difficult to accept. Lies thus open the way for mechanisms of rationalization or of justification, which are ways of 'patching up'. We shall see further on how the entangled behaviour of persons round about us provokes many shocks, creating difficult and sometimes insoluble situations of human relations, veritable Gordian knots. It is thus in the utmost good faith that we resort to lies. This being so, the attitude of the esoteric Doctrine towards lying is clear and realistic. It does not require us to stop lying from the start, because nobody can carry out such a resolution. However, if man cannot stop lying to others, the same cannot be said as far as he himself is concerned. He is therefore asked to stop lying to himself— and this in a definite way. This requirement is absolute, and we can easily understand why. The objective of esoteric work is the march towards Consciousness, which means towards Truth. It would be a contradictio in objecto to try to approach the truth while continuing to lie to ourselves or to believe in our own lies. We must therefore eliminate any attempt to lie to ourselves: on this point no com- promise can be tolerated, no excuse admitted. But while in our present condition we cannot live without lying to others, we must at least be conscious of our lies. There is, nevertheless, another recommendation which we can make in this domain. In the ensemble of our lies to others, tolerated esoterically, we must exercise ourselves to distinguish between those lies which are in- dispensable or inevitable, those lies which are simply useful, and those which are not. The Doctrine asks those who study it to fight energetically against those useless lies.

It is only by training of this nature that we shall progressively be able to master the rooted tendency to lie which exists within us. Every attempt to hurry things, so far as lying to others is concerned, though it be a noble attempt, is doomed to early failure. We live in a world which is immersed in lies and moved by lies. It is to be noted that the Decalogue, which imposes observable commandments on man, does not forbid him from lying except in a small sector of human relations; that of bearing false witness, and also in situations where he is already badly predisposed to someone.

We live in a world ruled by lies. Lying and stealing are the dominant elements of human character whatever the race, creed or caste. Whoever says that this is not true simply tells another lie. Man lies because , in a world ruled by lies it is not possible for him to do otherwise. To all that has already been said, one must add the following peculiarity which at first looks paradoxical; that the progress of this civilization, which is the fruit of an intellectual culture, considerably increases the need for lying. [...] Of all forms the man feels that he should lie.

Yet man feels that he should not lie. In his inmost heart lives a vague memory of the pure, unperverted consciousness he had before the fall of Adam. Every normal and sane human being experiences, more than once, nostalgia for an uncorrupted life, and bitter regret that they are snared in the meshes of cheating, both moral and material.

Man, however, lets himself be bound more and more in life: his faculty for lying gives him the marvellous impression of being able to arrange things for the best in difficult situations, but he forgets that lies, once uttered, put him under obligation. Imaginary facts created in these acts demand a context which, if not completely identical, 2 must at least support 3 the circumstances within which we live and act. As long as we deal with insignificant facts, lying does not often result in serious consequences; conversely, in the absence of an adequate context, a serious lie un- failingly leads to a catastrophe commensurate with the importance of the problem.

If we refer to the different aspects of this subject, an analysis of lying permits us to distinguish the following modes:

— Lying to others;
— Lying to oneself;
— Useful lies;
— Useless lies.

To these classic cases of lying, one must add two particular cases:

- Hypocrisy: the pretence of virtue, of praiseworthy sentiments, with the intent to deceive persons of good faith;

-The integral lie: this characterizes that person who, from a habit of lying and cheating on every occasion, ends by believing his own lies and thus loses all sense of truth.

These two last cases are the hardest to cure: hypocrisy, in fact, must be deeply rooted in the Personality of the human being to become an element of his behaviour. To overcome this tendency within oneself requires considerable and painful efforts. No fruitful esoteric work can be undertaken by anyone who has not first rid himself of this vice. It is dangerous for a hypocrite even to start searching for the Way, as he is condemned to fall in advance. It is the same for him who has become a prey to integral lying. Nevertheless, if these lies are not soiled with hypocrisy, meaning that if the intentional mythomaniac element is entirely lacking, this case is easier to cure than the preceding one.

It is anyway rather rare for persons suffering from these defects to be- come interested in esoteric teaching. Oriented towards the true, this teaching exercises a strong repulsion on those who suffer from these mental 6 anomalies. Thus we can now concentrate our attention on the more wide- spread cases, which are related to the four modes listed above.
One can say in general that all men lie in these four ways, and those who approach esoteric work do not escape from this rule. It is only the intensity which differs from one person to another. Setting aside cases who lie for the sake of lying, at the root of lying we can distinguish a whole series of motives; they can spring from the baseness of our natures or be inspired by

the noblest sentiments. For example, we do not tell the truth to persons who suffer from a malady which is hopeless. We lie sometimes to attenuate the brutal effect of bad news. On the other hand, there exist cases where we try to ameliorate the effects of facts by lies not out of hypocrisy but, if we can say so, out of a taste for the marvellous and for the miraculous. Such cases deserve our attention because they are out of the ordinary. We may remember the text of the liturgical prayer by which, Jesus addressing Himself to the Father, said: 'Thy word is Truth'. 7 This creative force of the Word, of the logos, which is the Son's very nature, lies within us in our inmost heart.

We must note that we currently attribute to the subconscious world phenomena and messages which really come from higher levels of Consciousness. Moved by vague recollections, the man of good faith and a generous heart sometimes feels the need of bringing consolation, a note of optimism, and so distorts the facts by presenting them in a favourable light. It is doubtless a praiseworthy attempt, but it is ineffective because of the insufficient means available. For our word is not yet a word of Truth. If they had had the power of the word of Jesus our lies, taking miraculous power, would actually have improved the facts. The facts, however, re- main in the same context as they were, before the man of good faith attempted to improve them. This sort of lie could be defined as an attempt to perform a miracle with insufficient means.

[...]

As for efforts at suppressing lies to oneself, they entail quite different and important consequences. Such lies grow deep roots. In this domain, paradoxical situations sometimes arise, some of them of such psychological subtlety that it is difficult to draw them out of the shade. It is enough to mention the question of marriages where one of the partners, having realized that this union is an error, persists in trying to convince himself of the contrary. If he is of an affectionate nature, he will redouble his amiability towards his partner as if truly toward his polar being. The absurdity of the situation reaches its limits if the other partner reacts by adopting a corresponding attitude -without truly feeling any sincere or spontaneous glow of tenderness. This true 'play of love' is evidently to the greatest profit of the General Law. The danger from the esoteric point of view is that, by mere force of habit, such a situation takes on for one of the partners, or even for both of them, the value of true love. This kind of lying to oneself can go on for dozens of years with people who are amiable and of good faith, and they entail tragic disillusions in the end.

The man who starts to struggle against lying to himself must be fore-warned of these difficulties, and of the possible collapse of some or all his greatest values. But it also happens that such inner collapses are produced in people who never approached esoteric work, but afterwards come to search for something more solid and permanent. All should know that true esoteric work only begins after the novice has passed through a general bankruptcy, and has had his gods helplessly thrown to the ground.

[Mod: edited with original English Gnosis text]

thanks Eongar for compiling every thing at one place and posting.

Admin edit: removed entire quote by Eongar. Not necessary to take up bandwidth for a one line response.

Yes, thank you Eongar for posting that. It's been awhile since I've read Mouravieff, so this was a good refresher.

I have yet to read the Gnosis books, so I thank you for posting this. I know that studying what Gurdjieff taught about lying has helped me tremendously. I never realized how much I lie. It took a long time, but now at least I can catch myself lying to myself and others as it happens. I cant totally stop it yet, but I can identify it.

Sorry 'I' should have been more clear. what I thougth curious was the mix of lying and I' ing, a word supposing an indivisible I. A usefull lie protecting a buffered nation of little i's. It was really just nerdy wordtrickery on my part, but maybe there can be seen a hint to the lying faculty which identifies with word spoken and written.
The map is not the territory; the word is not the thing defined

Ok, I understand. I am Spanish and I thought it was a misspelling what you said. In the Spanish text there is no such "word play" and did not understand what he said. A manager helped me (thanks, Psyche) to publish it properly and this review is of the English version, sorry for not being able to help.

no please don't apologize, I was just imagining things between the lines, not intended by mr. Moravieff
thanks for posting

Thanks for that post, Eongar. One of the things I'm exploring right now has to do with all that lying - but more specifically the relationship between fears and lying. In ISOTM, in the brief discussions of 'considering' that I have read so far, Gurdjieff mentions the idea of people being afraid of each other and that most of these fears are related to all the lies we live among.

Mouravieff's discussion of the various 'modes' of lying is equally interesting. :)

Of course. Human beings -sometimes I think that is partly an influence of the General Law- have a need to feel accepted by society, there is fear of being displaced from the rest and that translates to give continuity to the Personality through the lie.
It is much easier to lie to others as yourself instead of watching from the front to the truth. And fear is one of the main obstacles to look reality in the face.

Eongar said:
Human beings - sometimes I think that is partly an influence of the General Law - have a need to feel accepted by society, there is fear of being displaced from the rest and that translates to give continuity to the Personality through the lie.

Thank you, Eongar, for this post. Lots of insightful commentary.

It's only recently that I discovered most of my own lies were rooted in fear.

The fear of losing one's carefully constructed idea of how others perceive and accept him/her is part of the Predator's Mind. Loss of admiration or acceptance = loss of food. Getting a handle on the negative forms of lying is like going on a detox diet. It's difficult at first to learn to eat better, not use excuses to backtrack (like eating food not on the plan that someone offers so as not to be "impolite") and finally accept the fact that some foods - no matter how delicious they may taste going down - are ultimately very bad for one's well-being.

By networking and sincerely looking into the reasons of why we lie, we might finally learn to feed ourselves (and one another!) with a purer, more positive form of food/energy.

This reminded me of the time when I saw myself... and how I was taken to such lows that I was practically losing touch with reality, as it is defined in everyday life. I really should have done more groundwork before hopping into the heavy stuff! I may have created a whole new palette of lies to survive from the pain then. God almighty... the mass and complexity of these things! I really wish I would have read Mouravieff beforehand and his warning labels on Seeing.

Well... I'm working my way through "The Big Five" now and I hope that with time I may be able to See again and Choose a higher road. I don't know what else to do with my life now except hold on to the things that I know atleast once inspired me... this Work. Though I must admit that at times I feel so hopeless about my prospects that I fall into dark thoughts and feelings again, and it is as if somewhere along the road I've lost hope and vision of what to aim for.

But what gave me hope today was from the recommended reading somewhere that goes "We only suffer as long as we need to suffer, not a second longer" (or to that effect).

Thanks for hearing me out!

These declines are normal and necessary. If he can take it correctly advance will be more powerful. Above all there no sink or surrender.

Force

In the "Teachs of Don Juan" said:

When a man starts to learn, he is never clear about his objectives. His purpose is faulty; his intent is vague. He hopes for rewards that will never materialize for he knows nothing of the hardships of learning.
He slowly begins to learn--bit by bit at first, then in big chunks. And his thoughts soon clash. What he learns is never what he pictured, or imagined, and so he begins to be afraid. Learning is never what one expects. Every step of learning is a new task, and the fear the man is experiencing begins to mount mercilessly, unyieldingly. His purpose becomes a battlefield.
And thus he has stumbled upon the first of his natural enemies: fear! A terrible enemy--treacherous, and difficult to overcome. It remains concealed at every turn of the way, prowling, waiting. And if the man, terrified in its presence, runs away, his enemy will have put an end to his quest and he will never learn. He will never become a man of knowledge. He will perhaps be a bully, or a harmless, scared man; at any rate, he will be a defeated man. His first enemy will have put an end to his cravings. It is not possible for a man to abandon himself to fear for years, then finally conquer it. If he gives in to fear he will never conquer it, because he will shy away from learning and never try again. But if he tries to learn for years in the midst of his fear, he will eventually conquer it because he will never have really abandoned himself to it.
Therefore he must not run away. He must defy his fear, and in spite of it he must take the next step in learning, and the next, and the next. He must be fully afraid, and yet he must not stop. That is the rule! And a moment will come when his first enemy retreats. The man begins to feel sure of himself. His intent becomes stronger. Learning is no longer a terrifying task. When this joyful moment comes, the man can say without hesitation that he has defeated his first natural enemy. It happens little by little, and yet the fear is vanquished suddenly and fast. Once a man has vanquished fear, he is free from it for the rest of his life because, instead of fear, he has acquired clarity--a clarity of mind which erases fear. By then a man knows his desires; he knows how to satisfy those desires. He can anticipate the new steps of learning and a sharp clarity surrounds everything.The man feels that nothing is concealed.
And thus he has encountered his second enemy: Clarity! That clarity of mind, which is so hard to obtain, dispels fear, but also blinds. It forces the man never to doubt himself. It gives him the assurance he can do anything he pleases, for he sees clearly into everything. And he is courageous because he is clear, and he stops at nothing because he is clear. But all that is a mistake; it is like something incomplete. If the man yields to this make-believe power, he has succumbed to his second enemy and will be patient when he should rush. And he will fumble with learning until he winds up incapable of learning anything more. His second enemy has just stopped him cold from trying to become a man of knowledge. Instead, the man may turn into a buoyant warrior, or a clown. Yet the clarity for which he has paid so dearly will never change to darkness and fear again. He will be clear as long as he lives, but he will no longer learn, or yearn for, anything.
He must do what he did with fear: he must defy his clarity and use it only to see, and wait patiently and measure carefully before taking new steps; he must think, above all, that his clarity is almost a mistake. And a moment will come when he will understand that his clarity was only a point before his eyes. And thus he will have overcome his second enemy, and will arrive at a position where nothing can harm him anymore. This will not be a mistake. It will not be only a point before his eyes. It will be true power.
He will know at this point that the power he has been pursuing for so long is finally his. He can do with it whatever he pleases. His ally is at his command. His wish is the rule. He sees all that is around him. But he has also come across his third enemy: Power!
Power is the strongest of all enemies. And naturally the easiest thing to do is to give in; after all, the man is truly invincible. He commands; he begins by taking calculated risks, and ends in making rules, because he is a master.
A man at this stage hardly notices his third enemy closing in on him. And suddenly, without knowing, he will certainly have lost the battle. His enemy will have turned him into a cruel, capricious man, but he will never lose his clarity or his power.
A man who is defeated by power dies without really knowing how to handle it. Power is only a burden upon his fate. Such a man has no command over himself, and cannot tell when or how to use his power.
Once one of these enemies overpowers a man there is nothing he can do. It is not possible, for instance, that a man who is defeated by power may see his error and mend his ways. Once a man gives in he is through. If, however, he is temporarily blinded by power, and then refuses it, his battle is still on. That means he is still trying to become a man of knowledge. A man is defeated only when he no longer tries, and abandons himself.
He has to come to realize that the power he has seemingly conquered is in reality never his. He must keep himself in line at all times, handling carefully and faithfully all that he has learned. If he can see that clarity and power, without his control over himself, are worse than mistakes, he will reach a point where everything is held in check. He will know then when and how to use his power. And thus he will have defeated his third enemy.
The man will be, by then, at the end of his journey of learning, and almost without warning he will come upon the last of his enemies: Old age! This enemy is the cruelest of all, the one he won't be able to defeat completely, but only fight away.
This is the time when a man has no more fears, no more impatient clarity of mind--a time when all his power is in check, but also the time when he has an unyielding desire to rest. If he gives in totally to his desire to lie down and forget, if he soothes himself in tiredness, he will have lost his last round, and his enemy will cut him down into a feeble old creature. His desire to retreat will overrule all his clarity, his power, and his knowledge.
But if the man sloughs off his tiredness, and lives his fate though, he can then be called a man of knowledge, if only for the brief moment when he succeeds in fighting off his last, invincible enemy. That moment of clarity, power, and knowledge is enough.Anything is one of a million paths. Therefore you must always keep in mind that a path is only a path; if you feel you should not follow it, you must not stay with it under any conditions. To have such clarity you must lead a disciplined life. Only then will you know that any path is only a path and there is no affront, to oneself or to others, in dropping it if that is what your heart tells you to do. But your decision to keep on the path or to leave it must be free of fear or ambition. I warn you. Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary.

Back
Top Bottom