The Near Zero-Carb Pork Rind Recipes Revelation!

Nancy2feathers said:
Hi Chrissy. The white sauce sounds good. We'll have to give it a try!
We make a pumpkin sauce that resembles tomato sauce, adding sauted onion, garlic, Italian herbs, a little apple cider vinegar and lemon(to a can of organic pumpkin). It tastes pretty close to a marinara sauce. Great for pizza and sauce with meatballs over spaghetti squash. :)

ooh, sounds delish. I have to try and make that next. Thanks N2F!

Thorn said:
happyliza said:
Maybe if you find organic pig producers you can buy the skin direct. I have just done that. I now have to prepare the rinds myself so that they are crackly and not rubbery (which means taking the pork fat off and cooking them for a long time on low in an oven).

It will certainly prove cheaper - I get mine free!

Here is a step by step guide with pictures to help in the process:

http://baconsheir.com/porkrindmaking.html

I am looking forward to making the above recipes.

BTW the rubbery ones I did make good dog treats!

We considered this, but were unsure if it would be expensive leaving the oven on for so long?

Well Thorn you are right about the oven costs though my gas lasts ages for cooking. I have also changed my mind after this first/last batch cos b/f came back and thought the house was on fire! The little lard that was still left on the rinds accumulated o the foil and the flat became more like a fish and chip shop! I certainly don't want fat deposits on everything. I already had to unblock the sink drain, even using newspaper and boiling water to clean stuff. Now all washing water goes down the toilet!

I will ask my port shop, who do actually sell small bags of crispy cracklin to make a big batch for me. Only fear now is that I didn't know they use oil! It doesn't in the cooking method i posted above - the are just slowly dehydrated. I will have to look into finding out about this 'oil' and discuss with them.

Maybe if we are going to be doing this seriously regularly - which the extension to recipes and yummyness certainly deserves, then at least the community houses could look into the dehydrating machines - maybe even putting them in out-buidlings if much fat smoke comes off the rinds like mine did. The first site i found is here - plus some good machines such as canning etc that we all need OSIT. Didn't check prices as out of my league atm.

http://www.packaging-solutionsindia.com/vegetable-dehydrator.html
Luckily the porky scratchings are quite light to be sent by post if anyone sources a supplier who doesn't need to use oil.

I just so crave a bramley apple crumble! ie with difference nuts crushed with cinnamon, allspice etc and coconut flakes/ rind flour! Even a 'pastry' topping. Shame no plump sultanas allowed! :evil:

Chrissy said:
Nancy2feathers said:
Hi Chrissy. The white sauce sounds good. We'll have to give it a try!
We make a pumpkin sauce that resembles tomato sauce, adding sauted onion, garlic, Italian herbs, a little apple cider vinegar and lemon(to a can of organic pumpkin). It tastes pretty close to a marinara sauce. Great for pizza and sauce with meatballs over spaghetti squash. :)

ooh, sounds delish. I have to try and make that next. Thanks N2F!

One thing I forgot to add to the ingredient list is a cup of butter! :)

Found a great source (U.S.) for below retail pork rinds/skins etc out of North Carolina. Here's a blurb about the quality of the product:
We are proud to offer you our fresh cooked pork rind products directly from our manufacturing plant in Henderson, North Carolina. Fried pork rinds typically have a 3 month shelf life unless they are cooked or treated with an additive to extend their shelf life. Our pork rinds are cooked weekly without these additives and are shipped directly to the store or distributor in your area. Even better you can order directly from our web store and receive them right after they are packaged in our plant.
Customer service was great, no shipping problems and they taste great! Much better than store bought ones I've been forced to buy. Yay!!

Porkskins.com

1984 said:
Customer service was great, no shipping problems and they taste great! Much better than store bought ones I've been forced to buy. Yay!!

Porkskins.com

What were the ingredients?

happyliza said:
Thorn said:
happyliza said:
Maybe if you find organic pig producers you can buy the skin direct. I have just done that. I now have to prepare the rinds myself so that they are crackly and not rubbery (which means taking the pork fat off and cooking them for a long time on low in an oven).

It will certainly prove cheaper - I get mine free!

Here is a step by step guide with pictures to help in the process:

http://baconsheir.com/porkrindmaking.html

I am looking forward to making the above recipes.

BTW the rubbery ones I did make good dog treats!

We considered this, but were unsure if it would be expensive leaving the oven on for so long?

Well Thorn you are right about the oven costs though my gas lasts ages for cooking. I have also changed my mind after this first/last batch cos b/f came back and thought the house was on fire! The little lard that was still left on the rinds accumulated o the foil and the flat became more like a fish and chip shop! I certainly don't want fat deposits on everything. I already had to unblock the sink drain, even using newspaper and boiling water to clean stuff. Now all washing water goes down the toilet!

I will ask my port shop, who do actually sell small bags of crispy cracklin to make a big batch for me. Only fear now is that I didn't know they use oil! It doesn't in the cooking method i posted above - the are just slowly dehydrated. I will have to look into finding out about this 'oil' and discuss with them.

Maybe if we are going to be doing this seriously regularly - which the extension to recipes and yummyness certainly deserves, then at least the community houses could look into the dehydrating machines - maybe even putting them in out-buidlings if much fat smoke comes off the rinds like mine did. The first site i found is here - plus some good machines such as canning etc that we all need OSIT. Didn't check prices as out of my league atm.

http://www.packaging-solutionsindia.com/vegetable-dehydrator.html
Luckily the porky scratchings are quite light to be sent by post if anyone sources a supplier who doesn't need to use oil.

I just so crave a bramley apple crumble! ie with difference nuts crushed with cinnamon, allspice etc and coconut flakes/ rind flour! Even a 'pastry' topping. Shame no plump sultanas allowed! :evil:

I know that in Mexico (or so I'm told) they boil the skins first before drying them. This could be a way of removing all the excess fat before proceeding with the next steps. Might be worth a try.

Heimdallr said:
1984 said:

Porkskins.com

Yes, I was wondering too. If the ingredients are okay, then these are cheap and perfect for what we need. Some of their other products have short ingredient lists so hopefully these are the same:

http://carolinasnacks.com/store/large/naeq/Old_Time_Fat_Back_and_Traditional_Fat_Back-_all_flavors/Fried_Pork_Fat_Back.html

dugdeep said:
I know that in Mexico (or so I'm told) they boil the skins first before drying them. This could be a way of removing all the excess fat before proceeding with the next steps. Might be worth a try.

Yeah I think the proper way of making them is to boil them first. The fat rises to the top, then you scrape it off with a spoon and your left with a thin layer of skin. After slowly dehydrating them most of the moisture should have come out so that when they are finally fried in hot lard they naturally puff up. If there is moisture they will not puff as much

Heimdallr said:
1984 said:

Porkskins.com

Oh, good question Heimdallr. I should have noted that. :) I can only attest to the plain type that I purchased as they do have flavored varieties - I was told by a Customer Servce rep (since the website is a bit vague re: ingredients) that they are gluten-free, non GMO and no MSG. The package says 'pork rinds, salt'.

I didn't inquire about the other products so I'd ask before buying other flavored products, just to be safe. Caveat lector, as always.

1984 said:
Oh, good question Heimdallr. I should have noted that. :) I can only attest to the plain type that I purchased as they do have flavored varieties - I was told by a Customer Servce rep (since the website is a bit vague re: ingredients) that they are gluten-free, non GMO and no MSG. The package says 'pork rinds, salt'.

That's good. We only buy the plain types as anything else will usually have MSG. Since these are cheaper than the store-bought ones we get here, might have to make a bulk order for some of these. A buck a piece!

Heimdallr said:
That's good. We only buy the plain types as anything else will usually have MSG. Since these are cheaper than the store-bought ones we get here, might have to make a bulk order for some of these. A buck a piece!

Yep, great price AND fresh. Much better than store bought. The shipping shouldn't be too bad for you either, considering they are in NC. :)

1984 said:
Yep, great price AND fresh. Much better than store bought. The shipping shouldn't be too bad for you either, considering they are in NC.

We scrapped the whole idea after realizing we are paying much less and get more per bag than available there. Each bag of rinds that we get is 3oz. at $1.33. The online place is 1.75oz. at $1.09. It's not worth it, especially since the shipping was way too high. For 2 boxes of 12 bags the shipping was over $16. That's ridiculous considering the package would only be 2.6 lbs and we're in NC.

Made my first pork scratching cake over the weekend (as per posted on YouTube as the brownie recipe - it became a cake because I did not add the bar of chocolate) and BY divine cosmic mind was it delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe peeps.
:thup:

handy way to make pork rinds made some last night they were very very nice,
get a pork belly slice the skin on the belly into two inch strips but it in the oven i use a clay pot covered

cook for an hour until the skin is brown take the belly out run a knife under along the skin it comes of easy
cut the skin into squares but skin back in the oven to dry some more about 20min till there dry i put them on a wire rack
be sure to use something under the wire rack to catch any grease that falls

heat butter/lard in a pan throw in the skins, skin side up add salt leave for 10 min or so then shake them around in the pan to get
them covered in the butter/lard they start to puff up bubbles appear on the skin careful not to burn them like i did on my first go shaking them in the pan prevents them from burning aswell,take them out add salt pepper
you will get puffy crispy rinds for a nice snack to chew on :) :cool2:

We made the pork rhind bread a few days ago. My mother tasted it and she said it tasted like meatloaf with cinnamon! I thought it was fine.

Ours came out slightly gummy. It could be that I used large eggs, or maybe I added an extra tablespoon or two of fat by bad estimation. Or maybe I just didn't cook it long enough? Thoughts?

Is there anything wrong with making the bread in a breadpan to get a more round loaf?

Back
Top Bottom