The Near Zero-Carb Pork Rind Recipes Revelation!

Made my first pork rind pancakes today and they were great :thup:. Didn't know what to expect as far as taste, so I probably added too much cinnamon, so will use less next time. The texture was really good, much better than nut flours and do they ever fill you up!

The bread looks really good and I am keen to try hamburger buns.

Wow those pictures look so delicious!!!do any uk members know where I can buy pork rinds?

I did a few searches on google but keep coming up with additive laden pub snacks in tiny packets. Might have to get them sent over from somewhere?

Thorn said:
Wow those pictures look so delicious!!!do any uk members know where I can buy pork rinds?

Thorn I sometimes buy my pork scratching from Waitrose if I am passing - a wee bit pricey and called awfully posh looks like this :_http://www.awfullyposhsnacks.com/

I am still trying to perfect them by making it myself...slowly but surely I shall get there.

ashu said:
Thorn I sometimes buy my pork scratching from Waitrose if I am passing - a wee bit pricey and called awfully posh looks like this :_http://www.awfullyposhsnacks.com/

I am still trying to perfect them by making it myself...slowly but surely I shall get there.

Ahhh thank you very much, 89p for 40g I guess if you were making something big it does become costly... maybe there is somewhere to bulk buy them.

How have they worked out for you ashu?

Well I havent used them yet to make these yummy recipes. I just buy a couple of packets when I am passing the store as a treat - but buying them in bulk may be an option.

But if you have a chance to try them out, you may appreciate that trying replicate them may be a challenge! The pork scratchings that I have tried making have been soggy and not as dry and crunchy as these posh gems.

At last, I did have a pork rind experience on the weekend. I made a pizza, fried chickens, and cookies.
Friend chickens came out really great as they turned really crispy. Pizza didn't come out crispy as I wanted it because I used baking soda instead of baking power, but I forgot to add lemon or vinegar... still it was pretty good.

Also cookies didn't come out great from adding too much butter. They kind of melted on the process of baking... but after chilling them in a fridge and crumpled them up, then put some onto tallow fat bomb...voila! it became like cookies & creams - very delicious. Thank you KJN for the revelation. I'm excited to try more different recipes. :D

IMG_9731.JPG

IMG_9737.JPG

IMG_9758.JPG

Thorn said:
ashu said:

Ahhh thank you very much, 89p for 40g I guess if you were making something big it does become costly... maybe there is somewhere to bulk buy them.

How have they worked out for you ashu?

Thorn, it looks like there's no other alternative here in UK. If you try to order them from amazon, they're even more expensive. I finally found them today in one of my local Waitrose (they were no available in the small one closer to me), and I'm going to try one of the recipes today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

mARTinSky said:
Thorn, it looks like there's no other alternative here in UK. If you try to order them from amazon, they're even more expensive. I finally found them today in one of my local Waitrose (they were no available in the small one closer to me), and I'm going to try one of the recipes today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thank you for letting me know, i did check them out on amazon and was surprised to see a considerably higher price! Unfortunately there is no Waitrose in my local area so will have to make a special trip.

Good luck with the recipe, i am excited to see how it turns out :clap:

Maybe if you find organic pig producers you can buy the skin direct. I have just done that. I now have to prepare the rinds myself so that they are crackly and not rubbery (which means taking the pork fat off and cooking them for a long time on low in an oven).

It will certainly prove cheaper - I get mine free!

Here is a step by step guide with pictures to help in the process:

http://baconsheir.com/porkrindmaking.html

I am looking forward to making the above recipes.

BTW the rubbery ones I did make good dog treats!

happyliza said:
Maybe if you find organic pig producers you can buy the skin direct. I have just done that. I now have to prepare the rinds myself so that they are crackly and not rubbery (which means taking the pork fat off and cooking them for a long time on low in an oven).

It will certainly prove cheaper - I get mine free!

Here is a step by step guide with pictures to help in the process:

http://baconsheir.com/porkrindmaking.html

I am looking forward to making the above recipes.

BTW the rubbery ones I did make good dog treats!

We considered this, but were unsure if it would be expensive leaving the oven on for so long?

Still looking around for ready made pork rinds here in Australia. Found some that had real potential, already crushed in 1kg bags at a good price (even the post was cheap), only to message the seller and find they are cooked in canola oil and contain MSG :(. Very disappointing, but they were friendly and honest people who answered all my questions.

The best discovered so far are these http://snacklovers.com.au/pork-crackle-75g. I've asked them some questions, but have yet to receive a reply. The oil they use is Hi Oleic Sunflower oil and I was just wanting the advice/views of others on this. Did a forum search and came up with this post from Mariama in this thread (Omega 3 Fatty Acids) http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,12178.0.html

Mariama said:
This is what Maria Emmerich, author of Keto-Adapted, wrote about Omega 3 on her blog of 2 October last:

Omega-3’s are Poly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFA’s) and become oxidized easily. Oxidation causes inflammation in the body which is the source of many health issues. Through a lot of research I have come to the conclusion (and this is new and going to be a big shift in the health community) that the PUFAs EPA and even more so DHA are oxidized at room temperature and in the body. So in supplement form, there is a lot of oxidation prior do ingestion (and after) which causes inflammation. HERE is one of many sources for this data.

The best way to think about this is that PUFA’s are very unstable and are easily oxidized by heat, sunlight, in the body, etc. So this means that when you consume them you want to get the freshest possible source, cook it as little as needed (raw is best) and only get what your body needs. If you eat excessive amounts, the extra will be in your body longer exposing it to more oxidative damage which causes more inflammation. This is why I no longer recommend fish oil supplements. There is too much oxidation occurring prior to ingestion and the high doses result in more oxidation in the body.

So how do we determine how much Omega-3 we need in our diets from food sources? It depends on how much omega-6 we are consuming. As you may know the standard American diet is way too high in omega-6 oils (vegetable oils, soybean oils, corn oils, margarines, etc) and not high enough in omega-3’s. We want to have about a 1:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 but most Americans today get 20:1 or even 40:1. So the typical American diet has (based on 2,000 calories a day) 9% of calories coming from omega-6. To match this with omega-3s you would have to increase your omega-3 intake to about 11 ounces of oily fish a day!

But the body doesn’t really need that much omega-3 and 6 and as stated above, the extra becomes oxidized. So a much better strategy is to greatly lower your omega-6 intake and then match it with omega-3. If you follow my blog and this lifestyle, you are going well with this already. Eliminating processed foods, fast foods cooked in vegetable oils, corn oils and soybean oils. So if you limit this to just the sources is a lifestyle like I advocate you are looking at an omega-6 intake much closer to 2% of calories. To match this with omega-3 you would need to eat about 4 ounces or oily fish 2 times a week. This will give your body more than enough omega-3 and 6 than it needs and keep your consumption of PUFA’s low so there is as little oxidation as possible. In reality, you don’t even need that much fish as there are many sources of omega-3 already in your diet (discussed below). Meats, eggs, avocados, herbs and spices.
Four big takeaways:

1. Ditch the omega-3 supplements (Krill oil, Fish oil, Cod liver oil, etc). You can easily get enough omega-3 from food sources. More is not better as your body needs very little for proper function and any extra will be oxidized and cause inflammation.

2. Keep omega-6 intake as low as possible. Shoot for 2% of calories or less.

3. Match omega-6 with omega-3 from very fresh, lightly cooked (raw is best) foods. In this case about two 4 ounce serving of oily fish a week (about 6000mg of omega-3 a week).

4. Get your fats from stable sources high in Saturated Fatty Acids (SFAs). With this lifestyle fat is your fuel and you want to most stable, most readily available source of fuel and that is SFAs.
Good Fats

Saturated fats like coconut oil, butter, ghee, tallow and lard are protective against oxidation and inflammation and have many other important health benefits. Remember that when keto adapted, fat is your fuel source. You need lots of healthy fats to burn as fuel. But you want them to be stable fats (not unstable PUFA oils) so look for the highest in Saturated fats (SFA). When it comes to looking for oils to include in this high fat lifestyle, the higher the stable saturated fat content the better. Here are the best oils:

Coconut oil: 1.9% PUFA (92% saturated fatty acids (SFA)
Palm kernel oil: 2% PUFA, (82% SFA)
Cocoa Butter: 3% PUFA (60% SFA)
Beef Tallow: 3.1% PUFA (49.8% SFA)
Ghee: 4% PUFA (48% SFA)
Butter: 3.4% PUFA (50% SFA)
Lard: 12% PUFA (with 41% SFA)
Duck fat: 13% PUFA (with 25% SFA)
Macadamia oil: 10% PUFA (15% SFA)
Avocado oil: 10% PUFA (11% SFA)
High Oleic Sunflower oil: 9% PUFA (8% SFA)
Hazelnut Oil: 14% PUFA (with 10% SFA)
Almond oil: 17% PUFA (with 8.2% SFA)
Olive oil: 9.9% PUFA (with 14% saturated fat) (although this one should never be used for cooking which will cause oxidation. So only use in dressings, etc.)

Bad Fats

There are two kinds of fats that should be avoided. The most inflammatory fat is Trans Fatty Acids (transfat). Transfats are one of the worst substances we can consume for our overall health. There are many studies that show the heart disease and cancer risks of transfat (source, source, and many more for cancer,source and source). Here is a list of transfats to avoid at all cost:

Margarine
Vegetable Shortening
Ingredients that list Hydrogenated (fully or partially) Oils

Poly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFA’s) are should also be limited as they are easily oxidated. There are many PUFA oils and here is a short list:

Grapeseed oil: 70.6% PUFA
Sunflower oil: 68% PUFA
Flax oil: 66% PUFA
Safflower oil: 65% PUFA
Soybean Oil: 58% PUFA
Corn oil: 54.6% PUFA
Walnut oil: 53.9% PUFA
Cottonseed oil: 52.4% PUFA
Vegetable oil (soybean oil): 51.4% PUFA
Sesame oil: 42% PUFA
Peanut oil: 33.4% PUFA
Canola oil: 19% PUFA

What has happened over the last 100 years is a huge increase in PUFA consumption and a reduction in other good fats (like saturated fat). Here is a chart showing the increase in PUFA consumption in the US.
u_s_pufa_consumption,_1909-2005
So stick with what the most stable fuel source for our body (Saturated fats) and limit the PUFA consumption.

_http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/omega-3-supplement-oxidation/

I am no expert, not by a long shot, so others may wish to chime in. :)

It surprised me to see Hi Oleic Sunflower oil on Emmerich's "best oils" list, though the PUFA's are low. Obviously it would be preferable to use lard (like my home made rinds) instead of vege oil, but do others think these packaged rinds (provided the oil is non-GMO and there is no gluten or MSG) would be OK? Most always, I cook rinds as pancakes in around 50 grams of lard, not just eat them as a snack.

Aya, that pizza looks REAL good. If you get the chance, could you post the recipe sometime? Thanks.

Inspired by Aya's fried chicken, I "breaded" pork cutlets with pork rinds. I dipped the cutlets in beaten egg and dredged them in crushed rinds seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. I then fried them in lard. I liked how crispy they came and thought it turned out better than using the traditional flour or breadcrumbs. The real bonus was they were more filling which helps a lot when trying to feed a family on only quality meat.

I attempted pizza recently as well. Trying to stay away from tomatoes, I made a white sauce with butter, coconut cream, garlic, salt, and a little tapioca starch to thicken it. We used chicken and broccoli as the toppings. Kids said it tasted like pot pie, but they seemed to like it, because it was gone pretty quickly.

Thanks again for all the recipes and ideas. :thup:

Chrissy said:
Inspired by Aya's fried chicken, I "breaded" pork cutlets with pork rinds. I dipped the cutlets in beaten egg and dredged them in crushed rinds seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. I then fried them in lard. I liked how crispy they came and thought it turned out better than using the traditional flour or breadcrumbs. The real bonus was they were more filling which helps a lot when trying to feed a family on only quality meat.

I attempted pizza recently as well. Trying to stay away from tomatoes, I made a white sauce with butter, coconut cream, garlic, salt, and a little tapioca starch to thicken it. We used chicken and broccoli as the toppings. Kids said it tasted like pot pie, but they seemed to like it, because it was gone pretty quickly.

Thanks again for all the recipes and ideas. :thup:

Hi Chrissy. The white sauce sounds good. We'll have to give it a try!
We make a pumpkin sauce that resembles tomato sauce, adding sauted onion, garlic, Italian herbs, a little apple cider vinegar and lemon(to a can of organic pumpkin). It tastes pretty close to a marinara sauce. Great for pizza and sauce with meatballs over spaghetti squash. :)

Back
Top Bottom