The Near Zero-Carb Pork Rind Recipes Revelation!

monotonic said:
Is there anything wrong with making the bread in a breadpan to get a more round loaf?

Is a bread pan a loaf tin? I googled a pic but a few different things came up. If so I shouldn't think it would matter, although saying that some loaf-tins are made with non-stick coating (possibly Teflon)

We tried it and used glass pans. It did work. The recipe needs doubled to fill a 1.5L breadpan and you may get fat dripping down the sides.

When making a "loaf" this way it's important to score the top in 3cm or so sections, otherwise the top will crack as the bread rises and do something goofy.

I've been wondering what effect the container shape has on rising. After all, the areas around the edge don't rise at all. So I would think that a loaf with the highest volume to surface area ratio would rise the most. At the same time, the more depth, the more the loaf fights gravity. It is easy for the 8x8 version to hold big bubbles because it is a very shallow loaf. Perhaps a lighter mix of ingredients is best for a deep loaf?

Pork rinds meal / cereal and oatmeal!

As a kid I enjoyed cereal. I made something that would resemble it over the 2014 Holidays: pork rind meal. You can eat it cold or warm up it and it becomes more like oatmeal.

Pork rinds are 31% fat and 61% protein. So you only need about 40g to get 24g of protein if you do protein restriction. I just realized after not making this for a while that I had the fat and protein backwards and realized that I was overeating protein.

So I take 40g of "pork dust", which doesn't need to be finely blended, and put in a quarter can (3.5 fl oz or 100 ml) of coconut milk, and then a little water to desired consistency. I add about 7 drops of stevia liquid to it. And depending on if the pork rinds are salted I will add salt to taste. I sprinkle some cinnamon over top and mix it up. Finally, I top it off with a bunch of shakes of powered xylitol :). It's probably the closest thing to cereal you'll get if it's cold. And it gets soft and mushy like oatmeal if you microwave it. Remember to chew lightly if it's cold, as there may be hard chunks that won't get soft like when it's hot.

So with 40g of rinds you get 24.4g protein, and the coconut milk is only .25g for the 100ml.

And you get 12.4g of fat from the rinds, and 18.75 from the coconut milk, so about 31g of fat. Add two tablespoons of butter to melt on top to get in the 50+ grams of fat range and it tastes great too!

There's half a carb in the coconut milk, maybe one in the stevia, and depending on how crazy you go on the xylitol... (4g per tsp.)

Enjoy! :)

Below are pics with less or more water added:

Attachments

• pork rind meal thick.jpg
    pork rind meal thick.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 246
  • pork rind meal runny.jpg
    pork rind meal runny.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 241
Re: Pork rinds meal / cereal and oatmeal!

3D Student said:
As a kid I enjoyed cereal. I made something that would resemble it over the 2014 Holidays: pork rind meal. You can eat it cold or warm up it and it becomes more like oatmeal.

Pork rinds are 31% fat and 61% protein. So you only need about 40g to get 24g of protein if you do protein restriction. I just realized after not making this for a while that I had the fat and protein backwards and realized that I was overeating protein.

So I take 40g of "pork dust", which doesn't need to be finely blended, and put in a quarter can (3.5 fl oz or 100 ml) of coconut milk, and then a little water to desired consistency. I add about 7 drops of stevia liquid to it. And depending on if the pork rinds are salted I will add salt to taste. I sprinkle some cinnamon over top and mix it up. Finally, I top it off with a bunch of shakes of powered xylitol :). It's probably the closest thing to cereal you'll get if it's cold. And it gets soft and mushy like oatmeal if you microwave it. Remember to chew lightly if it's cold, as there may be hard chunks that won't get soft like when it's hot.

So with 40g of rinds you get 24.4g protein, and the coconut milk is only .25g for the 100ml.

And you get 12.4g of fat from the rinds, and 18.75 from the coconut milk, so about 31g of fat. Add two tablespoons of butter to melt on top to get in the 50+ grams of fat range and it tastes great too!

There's half a carb in the coconut milk, maybe one in the stevia, and depending on how crazy you go on the xylitol... (4g per tsp.)

Enjoy! :)

Below are pics with less or more water added:

I definitely miss my morning cereal on occasion! Thanks for the deailed breakdown of carb/protein/fat ratios!

Experimenting with substituting berries for the sweetener could be an option. Also the addition of bacon bits would be something I'd try! :bacon:

oh my goodness this looks like porridge, is the texture kind of mushy like porridge?

Thaigrr said:
Experimenting with substituting berries for the sweetener could be an option. Also the addition of bacon bits would be something I'd try! :bacon:

Hi Thaigrr, we've recently been trying berries out, and I have to say strawberries and blackberries are lovely in fatbombs, only needing a tiny tiny bit of sweetner... the downside for me personally (as I used to have a major sweet tooth) is that I can't really control myself around the berries in the fridge, my carb cravings have been through the roof, despite the fact that I have been eating less that 10g carbs per day, even with the odd few extra berries out the fridge. I wonder if I just can't tolerate them atall? I even want one now just speaking about them LOL

Re: Pork rinds meal / cereal and oatmeal!

3D Student said:
I've tried this with the fatbombs as well and thought it tasted good. A bit of cocoa in it reminded me of chocolate cereal which I was over the moon about! :P

EDIT: i've just re-read your post and you did say it was like oatmeal, apologies!

Great idea, thanks 3D Student. I tried a savory version tonight. I heated crushed pork rinds in a pan with butter, coconut milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Kinda tasted like grits. It definitely had that comfort food appeal. Now I'm thinking about what kinds of meals I can make with a sauce to ladle over it. Who needs grains when you've got pork rinds. :D

Chrissy said:
Great idea, thanks 3D Student. I tried a savory version tonight. I heated crushed pork rinds in a pan with butter, coconut milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Kinda tasted like grits. It definitely had that comfort food appeal. Now I'm thinking about what kinds of meals I can make with a sauce to ladle over it. Who needs grains when you've got pork rinds. :D

I can't wait to try this, because boy do I miss my grits! :D

Pork rind, egg, and coconut flour bread

So I was a bit inspired by this post on Butter Tarts. And I made some simple pork rind bread with eggs, trying to use up some coconut flour too. It turned out a little dry, but better than I thought it would. The pork rinds are salted, but not as mush as I like, so I added 1 tsp of salt. It was just a base recipe with nothing in it, but has the feel of corn bread. Maybe a little water is needed to make it more moist. They taste like French toast bites with a little cinnamon and xylitol on top! Here's the recipe:

150g pork rind flour
150g butter
100g coconut flour
5 large eggs (measured to be 268g)
1 tsp salt (maybe omit if the butter and pork rinds are salted)

First I put the pork rinds into a bowl and then the butter. I microwaved it and mixed the butter into the rinds. This helped soften them up and I haven't noticed any hard pieces when eating it.

Then mix in the coconut flour and the eggs. I originally had three eggs, and it was too dry. I think that even with 5, you may like to add a little water. Add the salt if needed. When it's all mixed together, put it into an oiled dish about 9x11 in / 23x28 cm, or whatever works. They come out about 1/4 in / 6 mm thick.

Bake at 350 F / 175 C for about 45 minutes. They turn golden brown. Test with a toothpick and let sit for about 10 minutes before cutting.

So I did the math and come up with 31% fat, 4% carbs, and 21% protein. For 24 grams of protein you need to eat a 114g piece, and that gives 4.5g of carbs, and 35g of fat. It is about six 1.25 in square pieces. To reach a 2:1 fat to carb+protein ratio, add 22g of fat, which is two tablespoons of butter. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Pork rind coconut bread loaf.jpg
    Pork rind coconut bread loaf.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Pork rind coconut bread pieces.jpg
    Pork rind coconut bread pieces.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 151
KJN said:
Oven Pan Bread 8’x8” glass dish (see below for 8”x11” bread):
6 eggs
7T bacon fat (or 5T ghee or unsalted butter, 2T bacon fat)
2 bags 3 oz. size (6 oz) each pork rinds
2.5T xylitol
1.5T baking powder
spices
For a sweet type bread: combos of cinnamon, allspice, pumpkin pie spice, orange peel…(about 1+T each) or your favorites
For non-sweet bread: rosemary, thyme, garlic, onion, etc.( about 1+T ea.) if you do this group, cut down the xyletol to 1.5T

At highest speed, food processor the rinds until flour-like and add in baking powder, xyletol and spices and blend. Set aside. In a large bowl, whip up eggs into a froth, add in dry ingredients and ghee/butter and/or bacon fat. Mix well. Let sit 5 minutes. If overly thick, mix in 1/8c water. Oven to 350 degrees. Grease square glass baking dish with bacon fat to the bottom and sides. Transfer batter to dish and can sprinkle (such as dried onion flakes, rosemary, other, your choice) on the top. Bake 40-45 minutes until inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean and dry and the bread feels solid.

I finally did make this recipe. I didn't put any spices. I did put 4 cup of home made pork rinds flour and I had to add about 1/2 a litre of water.

The result don't seem perfect.

I will add some spices next time but I am not sure what to do to improve the texture (seems dense to me).

Attachments

• 20150915_120757.jpg
    20150915_120757.jpg
    971.6 KB · Views: 136
It can be dense. It helps to keep it covered while it cools so that it doesn't dry out. I think any other way of making it less dense would involve using less eggs.

monotonic said:
It can be dense. It helps to keep it covered while it cools so that it doesn't dry out. I think any other way of making it less dense would involve using less eggs.

Other than that a quick solution if it is too dense is to soak it in some hot bone broth. It should become moist enough. I'm a strong proponent of, "If it's still edible, eat it!" when cooking. :P

3D Student said:
I'm a strong proponent of, "If it's still edible, eat it!" when cooking. :P

That works great if you're only cooking for yourself. Although even then, I've often been guilty of eating things I really shouldn't just because my father is nuts about not wasting food, and nearly made me nuts too.

Back
Top Bottom