The New History of Mankind: Who Are we? What are we? How did we get here?

Not sure if it's useful for your purposes, but I have used the program Scan Tailor to deskew scanned book pages. You can apply a global auto fix or do a manual grid straightening for each page.

It looks like gray scale setting is really better than B&W, especially for the sepia images. Compare this illustration (p11... p43 - 1200dpi B&W):

with tha one (p12... p43 - 1200dpi gray scale):

The text is also much more clear with gray scale setting.

I think that scanning with 1200 dpi gray scale is the way to go but let's see what others think. Anyway, if you both will scan different halves of the book, it's better to use the same settings.

I think that scanning with 1200 dpi gray scale is the way to go but let's see what others think. Anyway, if you both will scan different halves of the book, it's better to use the same settings.

I also think the gray scale looks much better! Thanks for giving it a check, Altair. Regarding 1200 dpi, the only downside is that each scan will take a bit longer compared to a 300 or 600 dpi scan, but the quality will be very good! Anka, you mentioned it's difficult to scan the first dozen of pages, if you want I can do them too (and the second half). :-)

Regarding 1200 dpi, the only downside is that each scan will take a bit longer compared to a 300 or 600 dpi scan, but the quality will be very good!
Yes but as you say the result should be really worth it. Let's take it as an opportunity to listen to a few episodes of OH/MM shows ;-)

Anka, you mentioned it's difficult to scan the first dozen of pages, if you want I can do them too (and the second half). :-)
Generous offer! Then I suggest you do the beginning including index and Part I (ending at p74), I will take care of part II, III, IV & V (p75-p263) and you finish off with Epilogue from p264 (starts with Rilke's Sonnets to Orpheus) up to the end.

And to make sure, I have the black cover edition which according to Amazon was released April 1987. That is what my copy says too. There is also the blue cover marked as Reprint edition (with strange dating January 1986 which seems to be the date of copyright and the actual reprint date should be later than the first, black edition) but both copies should be identical with 334 numbered pages. I hope there is no difference but could you confirm the release of your copy please?

Generous offer! Then I suggest you do the beginning including index and Part I (ending at p74), I will take care of part II, III, IV & V (p75-p263) and you finish off with Epilogue from p264 (starts with Rilke's Sonnets to Orpheus) up to the end.

Sounds good! (At any time, let me know if you need help with anything or any pages that you find are difficult to scan.)

And to make sure, I have the black cover edition which according to Amazon was released April 1987. That is what my copy says too. There is also the blue cover marked as Reprint edition (with strange dating January 1986 which seems to be the date of copyright and the actual reprint date should be later than the first, black edition) but both copies should be identical with 334 numbered pages. I hope there is no difference but could you confirm the release of your copy please?

Yes, I also have the black cover edition, it says: "© 1986 by Mary Settegast" and "Published 1987". Mine also has 334 numbered pages. We have the same one :-)

Sounds good! (At any time, let me know if you need help with anything or any pages that you find are difficult to scan.)
Yes, I also have the black cover edition, it says: "© 1986 by Mary Settegast" and "Published 1987". Mine also has 334 numbered pages. We have the same one :-)
Perfect. I won't get on it before the weekend so if you agree we can wait until Friday afternoon in case someone would have anything more to say and then we can kick off.

Je n'arrive pas à trouver ce livre en Français !... Existe-t-il ?... Merci pour vos réponses...

I can't find this book in French!..... Does it exist?..... Thank you for your answers....

Found Plato, Prehistorian at AbeBooks.com for USD24.97 with free shipping within the US. Shipping to the rest of the world is above 75USD.

Here the book it is with a price that have bon sense: 35 euros

Back
Top Bottom