The Polyvagal Theory - Stephen W. Porges

Been listening to about 6hrs a week of youtube vids on polyvagal theory while watching some things unfold and figure since things have been heating up in a lot of different area's that more and more peeps are going to struggle against stress reactions. Reminded me of the following on trigger stacking and how one is more likely to react when a number of triggers happen simultaneously or within a short period of time.

One of the things that is mentioned about PT in therapeutic application is that the capacity to hold ventral vagal states can be expanded with practice because the nervous system is always learning and adapting. I guess that also means that trigger stacking will be needed as a sign to know where the threshold is currently and where weaknesses are.

Be super interesting to see Porges and McGilchrist do a joint interview because I wonder if there's any crossover between their work, I'm inclined at this time to believe there is - that dorsal vagal and sympathetic vagal states are LH and ventral vagal is RH, but taking some ventral vagal into sympathetic vagal and dorsal vagal states helps to keep RH as the master.

Be super interesting to see Porges and McGilchrist do a joint interview because I wonder if there's any crossover between their work, I'm inclined at this time to believe there is - that dorsal vagal and sympathetic vagal states are LH and ventral vagal is RH, but taking some ventral vagal into sympathetic vagal and dorsal vagal states helps to keep RH as the master.

I've been thinking about this too. I don't know if they themselves realize this but for me, what some of the people who are working on the applications of the Polyvagal Theory are doing is indeed related to what McGilchrist has written.

I thought that maybe it has to do with the way in which trauma (and other threat response issues) have a tendency to put us in a dissociative mode and dissociation from reality, as well as prompting us to create narratives that are dissociated from reality, which is kind of the left brain MO. So, it would seem that some of the therapies that are informed by polyvagal theory can bring "embodiment" and self-awareness which helps activate the RH a bit more and ground us to reality.

I also think this is super interesting because, if we want to "pay attention to reality left and right", we need to be more grounded in it, more attuned to it, and that's a RH function. Of course, we need both hemispheres but there seems to be an overuse of the left for many people nowadays and that can be (in part) due to what we've been talking about in this forum for a long time, that is, a culture of trauma and stress that keep people in a dissociative mode.

What is super interesting here is something that I read while reading about the Polyvagal Theory (I'll see if I can find the precise quote) about how safety is not equal to the elimination of triggers (or threats), so this perspective isn't about changing the environment (world, society) to make it 'safer', necessarily, but about being grounded or anchored in ventral so that we can face life's risks, triggers and threats better.

It is also about reading reality better. It is fascinating to know that, for example, when our threat response is activated, a neutral face seems like a threatening face to our nervous system. So, we can, in fact, see reality with a particular 'tone' to it when our nervous system is working on sympathetic or dorsal modes. In order for us to see more clearly and to not perceive neutral things as threats, for example, we have to work on being more regulated, which is not to say that we have to be in ventral state all the time -it is natural to move from one state to the other-, the important thing seems to be to have that anchor in ventral so we can go back to regulation more easily.

@Yas - you just reminded me of something that Deb Dana said in one of her talks. In her mapping system she helps people move into each state and where there is a particular story, she gets the person to retell the story from each of the three states and points out the differences in details of the story. That kind of reminded me of the of the C's saying something once about 3 equal and intertwining meanings or something like that. Can't remember the exact wording so haven't been able to find it in a search and so don't know for sure if the quote applies.

She also points out the beneficial adaptive purposes of each of the states so it's not necessarily a bad thing to not be in a ventral vagal state, just that dorsal or sympathetic may not be the best state for a particular circumstance. That kind of matches in with McGilchrist also when he is saying that the LH has it's beneficial uses.

In any case, I'm paying a bit more attention to Deb Dana's mapping system given earlier in the thread because I'm wondering if it will also help with LH/RH issues.

In addition to the above, alignments between the two different areas of study may not be totally linear as I remember McGilchrist saying that fight/flight is RH. If that's the case, then the sympathetic vagal state can't be entirely LH - unless the cognitive narrative we tell ourselves about being in sympathetic vagal is the LH portion of the state. Or something like that.

Here's another interview with Deb Dana where she conducts a live therapeutic session with a client. Her concentration on 'states' rather than 'stories' is evident. From the polyvagal perspective, the state comes before the story with the story being an attempt to explain or excuse the state to try to make sense of it and directing the story either inwardly or outwardly using shame or blame. From the polyvagal perspective, stories are not unwelcome, but they are avoided because retelling can be retraumatising.

The client in the above describes how his vision changes as Dana guides him through the different vagal states, changes in what and how clearly he can see. Porges talks about the cranial nerves that arise from the upper branches of the vagus nerve and go to the eyes, the muscles of the inner ear and the larynx. Kind of reminded me of 'clear my eyes that I may see, clear my ears that I may hear'. The addition is that the voice gains prosody (rhythm, stress, intonation, tone)

Dana mentions that some sympathetic vagal activation is needed to get things done, but not everything is done in a state of fight/flight because sympathetic can be modified by a ventral vagal blend.

So basically, as far as I can see so far, she is guiding her clients to be able to blend states more flexibly and fluidly and bringing about an integration in that way rather than attempting to keep the states separated or trying to block them out all together.

One of the things I've noticed while listening to Stephen Porges and Deb Dana, is that they've got the safe prosody of voice down pat. I've realised that I've felt calmer and more relaxed after listening to them. Stephen Porges has an interest in the auditory pathway of affecting polyvagal states and has developed a program called 'Safe and Sound Protocol' that has music that copies the frequency ranges of a voice that is produced in the ventral vagal state.

This program was immediately successful with autistic kids who listened to the program for a total of 5 hours.

Sophie’s Story

Sophie is a 6 1/2-year old girl who was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder when she was five. Her Occupational Therapist was introduced to the SSP in July as part of a feasibility trial and immediately thought of Sophie who was very anxious and seemed constantly in a state of threat. Her fear prevented her from trying many things, as they seemed impossible to her. The extreme over-arousal of her sympathetic nervous system also affected her learning, her speech and her ability to communicate effectively.

These pre- and post-SSP videos capture the marked decrease in her level of fear and the improvement in her confidence and demeanor. Sophie’s mother is overjoyed with the changes she’s noticing in Sophie:

• Her facial expression is now relaxed and she seems less anxious
  • Her spontaneous speech has escalated (“Her language is improving like crazy!” – Sophie’s Mom)
  • She’s exhibiting prosocial behavior (“It’s not all about her anymore.” – Sophie’s Mom)
  • Her emotional regulation is much improved (“Sophie is now sitting in the group at circle time and listening intently. She even raised her hand to ask a question!” – Sophie’s teacher.)

Porges has also been working with his son, Seth, a journalist and documentary maker. Seth has been working on making the PVT material more accessible and less sciency for the general public and he is also conducting interviews about PVT and has a few vids on youtube.

In this one, he does an interview along with his father:

They have also co-authored a new book Our Polyvagal World: How safety and trauma change us. I've found the examples and analogies that Seth gives helps to ground the theory in everyday life application. His input is a good addition to Porges and Dana, .

Since Stephen Porges first proposed the Polyvagal Theory in 1994, its basic idea-that the level of safety we feel impacts our health and happiness-has radically shifted how researchers and clinicians approach trauma interventions and therapeutic interactions. Yet despite its wide acceptance, most of the writing on the topic has been obscured behind clinical texts and scientific jargon.

Our Polyvagal World definitively presents how Polyvagal Theory can be understandable to all and demonstrates how its practical principles are applicable to anyone looking to live their safest, best, healthiest, and happiest life. What emerges is a worldview filled with optimism and hope, and an understanding as to why our bodies sometimes act in ways our brains wish they didn't.

Filled with actionable advice and real-world examples, this book will change the way you think about your brain, body, and ability to stay calm in a world that feels increasingly overwhelming and stressful.

In their interview in the vid linked above, they do address the impact of tyrannical and oppressive governments and I'm hoping that they cover this in the book in more depth and detail.

Hard copy will be available Nov 2nd, but kindle is available now so I'll start reading it this weekend.

From the book mentioned above, something to help understand blended states.

Autonomic state. Within Polyvagal Theory, autonomic state and physiological state are interchangeable constructs. Polyvagal Theory describes three primary circuits that provide neural regulation of autonomic state. These are ventral vagal, dorsal vagal, and sympathetic pathways. Autonomic state reflects activation of these pathways. In general, there is a focus on each circuit providing the primary neural regulation for a specific state. This would result in the ventral vagal circuit supporting social-engagement behaviors, the sympathetic nervous system supporting mobilized defensive (fight/flight) behaviors, and the dorsal vagal circuit supporting immobilized defensive behaviors. However, autonomic state can support mobilization and immobilization behaviors that are not defensive when coupled with activation of the ventral vagal circuit and the Social Engagement system. Thus, by coupling the Social Engagement System with the sympathetic nervous system there is an opportunity to mobilize without moving into defense. This is observed in play, in which the aggressive effects of movements are contained by social-engagement behaviours. Similarly, when the Social Engagement System is coupled with the dorsal vagal circuit, cures of safety (e.g., prosodic voice, facial expression) enable immobilization to occur without recruiting defense (e.g., shutdown, behavioral collapse, dissociation). This is observed during intimacy and in trusting relationships. Thus, through the coupling of social engagement with mobilization and immobilization, the three autonomic circuits support five states associated with different classes of behavior: social engagement, fight/flight, play, shutdown and intimacy. Additional hybrid states have been used to describe freeze, fawn and appease.

The next part seems to be somewhat speculative as there there doesn't seem to be specific data yet. Elsewhere Porges says that perhaps it fleshes out our understanding of Stockholm Syndrome. Fawning and appeasement could also be manipulative or instrumental behaviors from the character disturbed to control a situation in the absence of trauma. In this way, the direction they take the theory here seems to be a bit Polyanna-ish at times.
Fawning and Appeasement.
When face with a threat, we sometimes fight or flee. Other times we freeze of shut down. But for some of us, the nervous system tries to navigate the treacherous journey from danger to safety with yet another strategy: an attempt to support, and even soothe, a perpetrator who means us harm.

These responses are most common when somebody is surrounded by a pervasive and nearly nonstop threat, as is the case with those who have been abducted or who live in a chronically abusive environment.

These seemingly supportive behaviours are often observed as "fawning" or "appeasement," two terms that are frequently used on social media to describe the seemingly paradoxical behaviors of survivors who appear to exhibit caring behaviors toward a perpetrator. Although fawning and appeasement are frequently lumped together, the Polyvagal Theory attempts to distinguish between them as separate survival strategies with their own autonomic signatures.

Fawning is an attempt to please the perpetrator through compliance, with the pragmatic expectation that such compliance will diminish aggression and reduce the threat.

Appeasement, on the other hand, can be viewed as an attempt to convince the perpetrator's nervous system that the victim is actually on their side.

When people freeze or shut down in the face of a threat, they are often met with a lack of understanding as to how or why they responded the way they did. The same sense of disbelief and dismissal often meets those who demonstrate fawning or appeasement behavior. After all: Why would anybody try to please or send signals of support to somebody who is hurting them?

It is our belief that we should reframe these behaviors as bodily survival strategies and remove conscious intent from our judgment of such situations. And while understanding fawning and appeasement as a response to trauma is an evolving topic within the Polyvagal Theory, we feel it is likely that these behaviors come from unique autonomic states that are a part of our body's mission to keep us alive.

As a defensive state that is called upon in times of severe duress, fawning may involve activation of the red and yellow systems (dorsal vagal and sympathetic nervous system). When we are dominated by these systems, our Social Engagement System and capacity for co-regulation are effectively disengaged. Without positive social cues to accompany the compliant behavior, a perpetrator may read this behavior as disinterested, disconnected, or dishonest, which can lead to further aggression and danger.

what makes appeasement different is that is also involves an activated Social Engagement System, which allows the victim to project signals of safety and co-regulation to their assailant.

This allows the victim to functionally convince the assailant's nervous system that the victim is on their side, increasing the chances of survival.

It is possible that this appeasement behavior involves the recruitment of a unique autonomic state that combines elements of the Green, Yellow, and Red systems at the same time. (Ventral vagal, sympathetic nervous system and dorsal vagal. Seth Porges uses the analogy of a traffic light to describe the states). So the threat is detected, but the Social Engagement System is still sufficiently resourced to send cues of safety, sociability and co-regulation to the perpetrator in order to help the assailed survive the ordeal.

Not everybody responds to trauma or abuse in this way. But rather than casting shame or doubt over those who do respond in such a manner, a more compassionate approach would be to view these behaviours as the result of a nervous system that has developed a remarkable ability to adapt and survive through challenging or life-threatening time.

Three Circuits, Several States.

With our new "hybrid" states added to our list of autonomic states, we're up to seven in total. Our initial three color-coded states, plus four additional hybrid states that draw from more than one system.

Despite the claim that all nervous systems are essentially the same, though they may have been tuned differently, they do address that there are those who want to keep us dumbed down and frightened in order to control us.

What We Mean by “Safety” This is, if nothing else, a book about safety—and that’s a word we’re going to use a lot.

But what exactly is “safety”?

Most of us treat the concept of safety as the removal of a threat. In this context, metal detectors keep us safe from guns. TSA security lines keep us safe from bombs. And so on.

The Polyvagal Theory proposes that what is important is feeling safe, at least as far as the nervous system is concerned. That’s not to say that our actual physical safety isn’t important, but that when it comes to our nervous system, autonomic state, neuroception, and the impact of all those things on our health and happiness, our body’s detection and feelings of safety are what matters.

Perversely, many things that are designed on the surface to keep us physically safe also make us feel unsafe—and thus come with a very real price that is too often ignored. Take the aforementioned metal detectors. These are tools designed to suss out the presence of weapons. However, kids who go through them every day on their way into school are being barraged with signals and signs that the world around them is a dangerous place. That they should be afraid. From a bodily perspective, this has real implications for our health, happiness, and ability to thrive in environments such as schools (see Chapter 9 for more on this).

There’s a brutal irony to the fact that many of the features of our built world that are billed as keeping us safe also make us feel unsafe. If one wanted to take a cynical point of view, one might posit that, at times, this is an intended outcome. And that certain individuals or institutions may want us to feel unsafe for their own selfish ends.

But why would anybody actively want to make us feel unsafe? The Polyvagal Theory offers a simple explanation: When we feel unsafe, our bodies shut down our ability to critically think or learn in favor of a need for immediate survival. This change is not hypothetical but, rather, occurs on a very real anatomical and neurophysiological level, with certain circuits in our nervous system shutting down or turning on, depending on how safe we feel.

When we feel chronically threatened, our worst and most tribalistic tendencies surface. Like a scared dog, we see others as threats, and perhaps act threatening ourselves. For an authoritarian or would-be strongman, convincing a large number of people that they are under threat is basically required to maintain power. You see this when political actors don’t just civilly disagree with their opponents or with entire groups of people but cast them as outsiders and subhuman bogeymen.

If your constituents are made to fear that somebody or some group is an existential threat to their way of life or might replace them in some way (unfortunately, we’ve seen the word “replacement” used a lot in this context in recent times), then these constituents may let you get away with nearly anything. It becomes “us versus them.” It is through this playbook that tyranny, extreme nationalism, and political violence thrive.

Making us feel unsafe can also lead to big profits. Nothing keeps you staring at cable news or clickbait Facebook posts like a feeling of threat. For social media companies that funnel information to us based purely on data-driven metrics of engagement, it is nearly inevitable that content that scares us will bubble to the top until it overwhelms almost everything else. When we’re scared, we are activated, engaged, and will continue to stare at our screens. These cynical motives can easily conspire to create a world in which the messaging and media around us—in effect, the entire reality we experience—are entirely driven by a sense of existential dread.

Needless to say, to our health and happiness, this is a disaster. But to those people and institutions who benefit from controlling people or keeping us engaged with content for power and profit, that is often the point. A lot of us feel stressed and anxious and threatened pretty much around the clock. One of the big questions we hope readers ask themselves upon completion of this book is: “Who or what is sending me messages that make me feel unsafe, and who or what benefits when I feel this way?”

There’s an old maxim in tabloid journalism: “If it bleeds it leads.” In other words: We are drawn to stories and imagery that frighten us and confirm our worst fears. When our bodies are scared, we enter states of arousal, attention, and focus. When our bodies feel that survival is at stake, we become willing to follow the lead of anybody or anything that offers us salvation from a threat—even if that threat is manufactured or exaggerated. Outrage is both easy to incite and a powerful tool for bad actors. So next time you turn on the TV and see a story where some person or group is presented as a monstrous villain, we encourage you to question the true motivation behind the narrative—especially if it feels like a narrative that certain voices are repeating ad infinitum as if they all were reading from the same memo.

Given this perspective, it’s hard not to feel that many of our feelings of danger, anger, outrage, and anxiety are cynically and intentionally engineered—at the cost of our personal health and happiness as well as our ability to find common ground across seemingly uncrossable ideological, ethnic, or cultural gulfs. We are sure that some people reading this are nodding their heads and feeling validated in their preexisting hatred of the media, certain politicians, or groups that they feel may be particularly villainous. What we’re encouraging you to do instead is to look a level deeper and ask yourself: Who is making me fear and loathe these people in the first place? And by that, we mean: Who in the public sphere is stoking your fears and pushing these messages that fill your TV sets and social media feeds? Who is telling you to be angry? Which politician is tossing you the red meat that tells you that it’s okay to hate or even harm others whom they are casting as rivals? In effect: Who is exploiting your nervous system to make you physically and mentally unhealthy for their own cynical ends? Whether it’s to hold on to power or simply to keep you focused and engaged through the commercial break. By making you feel this way, they are using you, harming your health in a very real way, while also depriving you of the sense of safety that might allow your nervous system to second-guess their messaging and motives.

In this video, Stephen Porges talks with two trauma therapists that use the Safe and Sound Protocol in their practices. They discuss the differences in treating children and people on the autistic spectrum and treating people with trauma using polyvagal theory, the impacts of being raised by parents who do not have ventral vagal regulation, the differences between accessibility and vulnerability, preterm babies, and how having an autistic child has different impacts on mothers and fathers.

This next video is an interview of Stephen Porges by Lawrence Heller, developer of the NARM (Neural Affective Relational Model) therapeutic model and author of Healing Developmental Trauma. It sounds like they have many area's of congruence in their approach, though Porges can explain the physiology of the states more explicitly and can fine tune some of Heller's understandings.

Porges also explains more about his Safe and Sound Protocol and says that he basically used existing music, but removed those frequencies from it that were not in the range of the prosodic voice that might be used by a mother with her baby or when we talk to a puppy. One of the thoughts I had about this while listening is that McGilchrist mentions that he thought the original language might have been music and Porges says that vocal communications between mammals prior to the development of language was all about prosody and intonation.

The NARM Institute has also interviewed Deb Dana, so will be working on that one next.

Have also typed out the transcript that is attached below.

Attachments

• Stephen Porges and Dr Lawrence Heller.pdf
    124.4 KB · Views: 10
"Long Covid" (which most of us consider vax injury), gets into vagus nerve territory in latest speculation...

Their findings, published in the journal Cell, point to an intriguing hypothesis that winds its way from the gut up through the vagus nerve and ultimately into the brain.

• Long COVID is associated with reduced circulating serotonin levels
  • Serotonin depletion is driven by viral RNA-induced type I interferons (IFNs)
  • IFNs reduce serotonin through diminished tryptophan uptake and hypercoagulability
  • Peripheral serotonin deficiency impairs cognition via reduced vagal signaling

"Long Covid" (which most of us consider vax injury), gets into vagus nerve territory in latest speculation...

• Long COVID is associated with reduced circulating serotonin levels
  • Serotonin depletion is driven by viral RNA-induced type I interferons (IFNs)
  • IFNs reduce serotonin through diminished tryptophan uptake and hypercoagulability
  • Peripheral serotonin deficiency impairs cognition via reduced vagal signaling

Something else to consider - Porges and Dana refer to COVID lockdowns being a big dysregulating phenomenon because connection is a biological imperative. So, not only were people forced to be disconnected from each other, but also to fear contact with each other in case they caught or spread COVID.

Here's the interview by the NARM institute with Deb Dana. Agency and responsibility is discussed which was good, however none of the polyvagal material that I've come across so far discusses the criminal mind element or anatomy of violence or how displays of emotion may be used instrumentally to attempt to control others. Could just be that those types don't readily go to therapy without some intervention and if they were under order to, this may not be the type of therapy that would be considered. I do wonder if Deb Dana isn't a bit naive in this respect because her only response to someone who isn't accepting agency and responsibility is that she hasn't yet found the pathway where they can feel safe enough to allow a ventral vagal state to emerge, and sees it as the therapists responsibility to find that pathway. That might be a hopeless effort with some character disturbances. Apart from that, my interest in the theory and it's application is deepening the more I learn about it.

The transcript is attached below.

Attachments

• NARM Institute interview Deb Dana.pdf
    197.4 KB · Views: 4
Here's a super interesting interview of Stephen Porges and his wife, Dr Sue Carter by David Berceli who developed Trauma Release Exercises - Shake it off naturally.

Sue Carter is mentioned often in Porges work as she studies the effects of oxytocin so there are many complimentary area's between her work and that of her husband.

David Berceli, when asked by Porges how he developed his program, says that he was in the Middle East during a war and made some observations during those times that he was in bomb shelters with others. One time in particular he had two toddlers on his lap and he noticed that they were tremoring out of fear, something that we can see in the littlies in Gaza at the moment where you just want to pick them up and hug them. As he observed this and everyone else, he noticed that at around the age of 10-12 the children stopped tremoring. He asked the adults if any of them tremored like the little children did and the answers were along the lines of 'no, because we don't want the kids to see that we are frightened.' Speculation is that this repression can cement trauma in the body and the littlies possibly recover better because they do tremor.

Other subjects covered:
- The role of oxytocin in the felt sense of safety, which from a polyvagal perspective is the ventral vagal state.
- Trauma is basically a violation of expectancy, interesting from perspective of the C's advice to always expect attack. If one is expecting attack, then there is no violation of expectancy and therefore the impact of trauma is minimised.
- Love and compassion as treatments for illness. Where polyvagal theory has been taken into application in different clinical settings, health outcomes are better.
- The role of oxytocin and love and compassion in a peaceful death. Dr Carter would like to see oxytocin levels taken when death is immanent in studies to confirm that levels are high during peaceful deaths as compared to troubled deaths. Dr Carter also speculates that there is probably a burst of oxytocin at the moment of death, (edited to add - if the person is not afraid of dying I think the implication is)

I've started a course to study polyvagal theory formally. I've been looking around for one for a while and they can be quite expensive. This one, by Deb Dana, seems to be the best value so far:

I'd also like to do one with Stephen Porges, it seems helpful to go back and forward between the two of them. Porges for the science, and Dana for the practical application. The course above has some study materials by both Porges and Dana included.

This site here has shorter courses requiring lower financial commitment by both:

Last edited:
I've started a course to study polyvagal theory formally. I've been looking around for one for a while and they can be quite expensive. This one, by Deb Dana, seems to be the best value so far:

https://pcpsi.ie/deb-danas-the-power-of-polyvagal/

If anyone else is interested in this course, I've secured a discount coupon that I've been given permission to share. The coupon reduces the price to EUR199 without a Certificate of Professional Development or EUR249 with the certificate gives 36 PD points. The coupon code is powerpv100.

Here's a helpful paper that Deb Dana references. The Abstract and Discussion is below, the rest of the paper in the link.

Viewing Nature Scenes Positively Affects Recovery of Autonomic Function Following Acute-Mental Stress

Abstract​

es-2012-05019p_0005.gif

A randomized crossover study explored whether viewing different scenes prior to a stressor altered autonomic function during the recovery from the stressor. The two scenes were (a) nature (composed of trees, grass, fields) or (b) built (composed of man-made, urban scenes lacking natural characteristics) environments. Autonomic function was assessed using noninvasive techniques of heart rate variability; in particular, time domain analyses evaluated parasympathetic activity, using root-mean-square of successive differences (RMSSD). During stress, secondary cardiovascular markers (heart rate, systolic and diastolic blood pressure) showed significant increases from baseline which did not differ between the two viewing conditions. Parasympathetic activity, however, was significantly higher in recovery following the stressor in the viewing scenes of nature condition compared to viewing scenes depicting built environments (RMSSD; 50.0 ± 31.3 vs 34.8 ± 14.8 ms). Thus, viewing nature scenes prior to a stressor alters autonomic activity in the recovery period. The secondary aim was to examine autonomic function during viewing of the two scenes. Standard deviation of R-R intervals (SDRR), as change from baseline, during the first 5 min of viewing nature scenes was greater than during built scenes. Overall, this suggests that nature can elicit improvements in the recovery process following a stressor.

Discussion​

The majority of research exploring the impact of nature on ANS mechanisms has included an exercise component which limits the conclusions drawn about the contribution of the “nature” component. (15, 17, 39) As exercise has such positive effects on health parameters, it is often hard to isolate the effects solely from the nature component. Therefore, this study looks at the nature contribution to ANS function without complicating the effects by combining it with exercise.
The main finding of this study was that HRV as a marker of ANS function increased during stress recovery, if nature scenes were viewed prior to a stressor, compared to built scenes. This is the first study to suggest that simply viewing scenes of nature prior to a stressor enhances recovery of ANS function poststressor.
The interaction of nature and recovery from stress has been studied previously. (30, 32) However, previous research has assessed the restorative effects of viewing or interacting with nature during the actual recovery period following a stressor. (29, 30, 32) For example, viewing video footage of nature scenes for 10 min directly after being exposed to a film of stressful images increased heart period (i.e., decreased HR), suggested to be due to enhanced parasympathetic system activity. (30) Viewing nature through a window during a 5 min rest period following cognitive tasks was also more effective at reducing HR. (29) Both authors postulate that these observations are a consequence of cognitive recovery or attention restoration occurring while nature scenes are viewed. The results of the present study suggest greater HRV during viewing nature scenes as contributed to by both sympathetic and parasympathetic systems. It is only during the recovery period that parasympathetic activity alone is greater in the nature views condition. Therefore, viewing nature scenes may encourage future healthy stress responses and recovery patterns and could act as a vital tool in preventive health.
The secondary research question relates to the duration of the nature dose. Research shows that a 5 min dose of nature offers the greatest increases in self-esteem and mood. (31) Physiologically, 5 min of viewing images of nature is known to increase HRV. (16) However, it is unknown whether an additional 5 min would enhance the initial changes that occur in the first 5 min dose. Within a laboratory setting, it appears that the second 5 min of exposure is less effective in inducing HRV changes. The strength of the current study is the use of 5 min segments for HRV analysis which is recommended in short-term analysis, i.e., less than 24 h. (22) Furthermore, the division of exposure to nature images into 5 min segments enabled the observation of increased HRV as anticipated in an initial 5 min dose, thus supporting previous work. (16) Comparisons in the current study suggest an additional 5 min of exposure to nature does not enhance the greater HRV seen during the initial 5 min dose.
In agreement with previous research, (10, 31) the current study observed improvements in self-esteem with exposure to nature. This finding suggests enhanced self-esteem associated with viewing nature shows robustness against exposure to a mild stress. In the current study, there was no change in mood associated with condition although this has been shown in previous studies. (10, 31, 39) The changes in mood observed in these studies were measured using the profile of mood states (POMS). (10, 31, 39) POMS contains 5 subscales associated with negative mood and 1 subscale for positive mood. This restricts POMS to predominantly reflect changes of negative mood rather than positive mood. In the current study, negative affect, measured using PANAS, showed negative mood improved irrespective of condition, therefore not replicating previous observations using POMS. The use of positive affect scores from PANAS was to ascertain if changes in positive mood occur that may not be so clearly identified using POMS. Positive mood did not differ between conditions nor did it change over time. In contrast, a meta-analysis of five studies did observe improvements in positive affect (8) suggesting the manipulation in the current study was not strong enough to elicit positive changes. The use of PANAS in laboratory research of this nature might not be appropriate.
Previous literature lacks discussion as to the potential mechanisms behind observed changes in physiological function while viewing nature. One potential mechanism to explain alterations in physiological measures could be attributable to the restorative properties of the nature scenes. The concept of attention restoration occurring after exposure to nature has previously been demonstrated by way of improved performance in attention related cognitive tasks. (20, 32) Viewing scenes of nature for 10 min, following a period of mentally fatiguing tasks, improved performance in a backward digit-span memory task. (32) In the current study, there were no such observations of altered cognitive ability, i.e., performance in the mental task, with different viewing conditions. This may be attributable to the lack of a mentally fatiguing task prior to the intervention, but the nature scenes acted as an effective buffer to ANS function during recovery.
To date, there are only a handful of studies that have measured or inferred changes in the ANS (14, 16-18) associated with nature. We suggest that the different components of the environmental stimulus, e.g., visual, cognitive, emotional, and restorative properties, induce changes in the regulation of different areas throughout the brain thus altering ANS function. The findings of this study, alongside previous studies, (14, 16-18) suggest a top-down mechanism originating in higher centers of the brain. Evidence for this was in part obtained from a study which utilized fMRI while viewing urban scenes. (40) The urban scenes caused increased activity in the amygdala compared to viewing nature scenes. (40) This action is likely to cause alterations in ANS control such as those seen in the current study, (41) through changes in parasympathetic and sympathetic outputs. Inhibition of the parasympathetic nervous system arises from the frontal cortex, and the pathways pass through the amygdala and then to the nucleus tractus solitarii and nucleus ambiguus. (41) The prefrontal cortex is prominent in threat-avoidance situations, causing inhibition on HR via the vagus nerve. (42) Therefore, during periods of threat, parasympathetic activity is decreased (increasing HR). The results of the current study suggest the absence of threat during nature viewing, without decreases in parasympathetic activity, while during built views overall variability decreased in the first 5 min. This interaction may be primarily due to alterations in both the frontal cortex and the amygdala.
Visual properties of an image may also play a role, as the composition of a picture can alter activity in the visual cortex. Images of nature are less aversive and uncomfortable when examining their spectral properties compared to built images. (43) Indeed, recent research suggests that the primitive characteristic of color, in particular the “greenness”, of a nature image is associated with improved mood. (39) Through color perception and reduced impact on the visual system, images of nature may evoke lower activity in the amygdala and visual cortex (40) culminating in increased parasympathetic activity as seen in the current study.
It is unknown how long the physiological changes that nature evokes are maintained, but it will be vital to explore this further, especially if nature is to be considered as a therapy. In the current study, unlike previous studies, nature exposure was experienced 10 min before the stressor, not during the stressor or immediately following the stressor. The evidence from this study suggests that there does indeed appear to be a buffering effect of nature. A stronger stimulus, i.e., within the environment itself, may prolong the buffering effect and also induce greater changes in cardiovascular measures. This may also be the case when nature is combined with exercise (“green exercise”). Exercising while viewing nature reduces BP in the 5 min following the exercise period in comparison to viewing built images. (15) These effects again may be even greater following “real” exposure to nature. Indeed, recent research suggests that adrenaline, noradrenaline, and BP still remain reduced in the evening following a daytime walk in a forest field. (18) Interestingly, forest walking increases natural killer cell activity for a period of 30 days in males and 7 days in females. (44)
This study has some limitations that should be addressed in future research. The impact of individual beliefs on the regulation of emotions when viewing the different environments, and how this effects physiological modulations, is unknown and could pose a mediating factor to the effectiveness of viewing nature on improving stress recovery. In order to quantify individual relationships with nature, the nature relatedness scale (46) could be used to indicate experience, beliefs, and contact with nature. Complementary information could be gained by noting home postcode, and thus, the surrounding area could be assessed in terms of land usage to explore the potential impact it may have on participants’ perception of nature. The present study collected postcode data but does not have a sufficient population size to draw conclusions about all potential subsets. The majority of studies to date, including the present study, use extreme examples to depict natural and urban environments in order to examine the influence of nature. Investigating a greater variety of environments (including more urban green spaces) would add population level validity to the results and account for individual landscape preferences. The restorative properties of nature (images or within the location itself) may evoke different psychological, cognitive, and physiological responses. Further studies would benefit from the inclusion of a questionnaire to assess how restorative the scenes or places are perceived to be, as suggested by Hartig, Mang, and Evans, (47) in combination with physiological and psychological responses to these different images.
The current study suggests that nature itself may evoke physiological responses, which may be in part driven by psychological reactions and restorative properties of nature. Furthermore, the increase in parasympathetic activity in the recovery from a stressor may help to counteract a buildup of psychological stress and thus reduce the impact of stress on physical and mental health. This would likely occur by nature images encouraging a healthier stress recovery pattern. (45) If nature increases autonomic recovery to stress and thus is an effective coping mechanism, this provides an argument for the need for more nearby nature. A green view through a workplace window, small pockets of greenspace in the home and workplace, and accessible local parks could be effective tools in altering ANS control of the heart. The buffering effect of nature could have particular relevance for the workplace where it may be beneficial to utilize nature during the lunch break, prior to a stressful afternoon, to help enhance recovery of autonomic function.

Dana mentions that she uses nature films to help new clients establish a pathway to a ventral vagal state. However, she uses them without sound because different sounds can be either sympathetically mobilising or dorsally conservational to different people. That's inline with Porges finding of the paradoxical effects of using the auditory pathway in the trauma population where this pathway was ventrally regulating for the autistic.

As the paper suggests, no further benefit is gained by watching nature scenes for more than 5 minutes. Dana uses 4.30 after an initial information gathering session. There is a selection to choose from on youtube if anyone wants to try it. Some are available without sound, but sound can be turned off on them anyway.

For interested musicians, in the latest interview I watched with Porges he mentions Mozarts Lullaby and says that it starts out with frequencies that are in the co-regulating range then gently adds and gradually extends the duration of lower frequencies. That might be a hint at what Porges is doing with the Safe and Sound Protocol.

On the above note, apparently men can be at a disadvantage where the auditory pathway to co-regulation is concerned because they can have lower frequency and more monotone voices and that can explain why little kids can have more fear of their fathers than mothers, or maybe even co-regulating with their women. The sympathetic nervous system is apparently tuned to lower frequency sounds as predictive of predators. On the opposite note, I have seen some men use higher pitches and more modulation when talking to their kids or pups.

The Vagus Nerve is getting notice in some of autoimmune responses to covid infection, the cytokine storms. Some of us might remember when antacids (famotidine) were getting attention at the beginning of the scamdemic.

"famotidine activates the inflammatory reflex, a brain-integrated vagus nerve mechanism which inhibits inflammation via alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (α7nAChR) signal transduction, to prevent cytokine storm."

From

Famotidine activates the vagus nerve inflammatory reflex to attenuate cytokine storm​

Background​

Severe COVID-19 is characterized by pro-inflammatory cytokine release syndrome (cytokine storm) which causes high morbidity and mortality. Recent observational and clinical studies suggest famotidine, a histamine 2 receptor (H2R) antagonist widely used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease, attenuates the clinical course of COVID-19. Because evidence is lacking for a direct antiviral activity of famotidine, a proposed mechanism of action is blocking the effects of histamine released by mast cells. Here we hypothesized that famotidine activates the inflammatory reflex, a brain-integrated vagus nerve mechanism which inhibits inflammation via alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (α7nAChR) signal transduction, to prevent cytokine storm.

Back
Top Bottom