The Qu'Ran and Ibn Al Arabi

foofighter said:
So, I got a copy with an English translation and started reading. I got about halfway through before I had to put it down, as it was so nonsensical and full of STS thinking that it made my head spin. The confusion is that on the one hand I have the Qu'ran which seems so obviously twisted and distorted, and on the other Arabi and his teachings is said to be closely aligned to the C's, and yet Arabi and Chittick both say that the Qu'ran is great.

I actually picked up a book on Sufism at the local library last week, called The Lantern of the Path by Imam Ja'far Al Sadiq. He was a renowned Islamic scholar from 8th Century (or so the back of the book says), and I've noticed the same incredible disparity in the writing. There is a mix of powerful ideals and messages in some chapters mixed in and distorted with blatant STS ideas in other chapters. He goes on to quote the Qu'ran quite a few times and gives explanations of what the meanings of the quotes are.

I've read through about half the book, and it's amazing how spot on his explanations are in accordance to Gurdjieff, the C's and as such in a number of chapters.
Pryf said:
Maybe we can compare what Arabi says here with what Gurdjieff call the work

Whoever is liberal in his judgment, without having made a proper examination, is ignorant and will be taken to task for his ignorance and will be burdened with his judgement as the tradition indicates

So long as the Bondsman occupies himself with obeying God, with recognizing his own faults and leaving alone whatever might devalue faith in God, he is spared ruin and is immersed in the sea of God's mercy, attaining the gems and the benefits of wisdom and clarity. But as long as he forgets his own wrong actions, is ignorant of his own faults, and falls back on his power and strength, he will never be successful

Make your heart the focal point of your tongue, which should not move unless the heart indicates, the intellect agrees and your tongue accords with belief.

He is clearly talking about Objective Awareness. Seeing things as they are in yourself and the world around in order to gain wisdom and understanding so that you don't stay ignorant or asleep. And I believe he even alludes to the awakening of our higher centers (even though quite briefly) in regards to connecting the heart, to the intellect, to the tongue "Carried in the Heart, Ruler of the Mind"

But then it goes into a whole other assortment of ideas. Consistent references to fearing god, submission and enslaving yourself to His Will.
Be a slave to Him in your innermost being, fearful and humble to Him in actions as you are his bondsman by word and claim ... Therefore be a slave to God, remembering him by speech and proclamations...Fulfill the state of enslavement by being content with his wisdom, and by worshipping in order to carry out his commands

DanielS said:
I actually picked up a book on Sufism at the local library last week, called The Lantern of the Path by Imam Ja'far Al Sadiq. He was a renowned Islamic scholar from 8th Century (or so the back of the book says), and I've noticed the same incredible disparity in the writing.

If you like it, I think you should read it, but to give you some context: Ja'far Al Sadiq isn't a Sufi. He is one of the 12 Imams which are a lineage comes from Ali, cousin of Muhammed and Fatima, daughter of Muhammed. He is a sacred person for Shii'te belief, also for Alevis as well.

He is sixth Imam and even though all Imams possess the same knowledge according to 12 Imam ideology, Ja'far Al Sadiq was the first one who get into detail and form a kind of school of thought. The knowledge he possesses comes directly from Muhammed and his life, as well as the lives of Ja'far's ancestors, all are "Imams".

He is highly influenced by Islam, his ancestors and he has the same mindset Qu'ran has, even though he softens the issues a little bit. In terms of Islam(not Sufism), he was the most knowledgable scholar as far as I know. Abu Hanifa, who is believed to be the most important scholar among Sunnis attended the lectures of Ja'far Al Sadiq. So you aren't reading an empty man but if I were you, I would be careful about what he was filled in. I am not saying you can not extract truth from what he is writing, but you better be vigilant at all times.

Here is a wikipedia link about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ja%27far_al-Sadiq

I was, because of my family, grow up with the thoughts and legends of 12 Imams, but looking at the whole situation from an objective point, I don't see anything but a political fight to grab power over Muslims. Also considering 12. Imam disappeared when he was 7 and will come back on the Judgement Day according to that belief, I don't think it is an objective source of knowledge. I personally don't see anything spiritual about this movement, but that's just my idea, others might think differently.

Just my two cents, fwiw.

DanielS said:
But then it goes into a whole other assortment of ideas. Consistent references to fearing god, submission and enslaving yourself to His Will.

Be a slave to Him in your innermost being, fearful and humble to Him in actions as you are his bondsman by word and claim ... Therefore be a slave to God, remembering him by speech and proclamations...Fulfill the state of enslavement by being content with his wisdom, and by worshipping in order to carry out his commands

Yes at first sight these words awaken in us an alarm status, because we asociate them with the Bondage state of man in ignorance.

But maybe they are not refering to a separate God from us, what if they are refering to the truth within us, the kingdom, the lord, the real self, essence.
Maybe they are saying we have to give less power to the entity we BELIEVE to be, giving freedom to what we really are.
Then this entity(ego)will became the servant, just because essence has come,the lord has come.

This remember me of this Sufi aphorism:
Wisdom consists in living with the heart burning for God.
Make die that wich is living and live that which is dead.
When the heart cries for what it has lost the spirit laughs for what has found.
When you lose sight of the world, appears the the vision of the lord.

Anyway as I see it, these are only words, giving us clues, and maybe once we do realy understand that everything is ilusion, there is no need to make differences between what we see and what we are..

[quote author=Pryf]Yes at first sight these words awaken in us an alarm status, because we asociate them with the Bondage state of man in ignorance.

But maybe they are not refering to a separate God from us, what if they are refering to the truth within us, the kingdom, the lord, the real self, essence.
Maybe they are saying we have to give less power to the entity we BELIEVE to be, giving freedom to what we really are.
Then this entity(ego)will became the servant, just because essence has come,the lord has come.
[/quote]

This is insightful and well said Pryf.

foofighter said:
Around here that's a rule rather than exception. Malaysians are quite obese overall. I read that 50+% are clinically obese or overweight now, and considering the sugary and western diets that are now becoming the norm, I'm not surprised. The traditional cooking also includes LOTS of sugar. And they all avoid exercise as much as possible, and am relying for cars as much as possible. My neighbour gets water from a natural spring which is 100m from his house, and uses his car to go there... insane...
wow....

foofighter said:
That sounds very possible, but it has been twisted into its opposite. For me, I'm going to try the fasting month to do an actual water fast (which is breaking the fasting rules by the way). Last year we only ate fruits during Ramadan, which was also a good way to use it, I think. Noone else does it like that though.
Okay cool, be careful though, maybe reading something about how to fast in a much more healthy way could be beneficial, but maybe you already have. Yes, no one else does it like that because they fear that the All-Loving God will punish them! What's even more weird is that a girl I knew once told me that she ate 1 day during the Ramadan and that she has to fast more days because of her ''mistake'', she knew exactly how many days she had to fast extra, almost as if it is a game.

Oxajil said:
What's even more weird is that a girl I knew once told me that she ate 1 day during the Ramadan and that she has to fast more days because of her ''mistake'', she knew exactly how many days she had to fast extra, almost as if it is a game.

This is actually a rule. If you promise to observe the Ramadan before sunrise and break that promise that day, you have to fast for extra sixty days. The mistake of the girl here is breaking the promise intentionally. This is called compensatory fasting:

In case of intentional breaking of fast in Ramadhaan without any lawful excuse, the fast of its one-day is to be compensated by a fast of sixty consecutive days.

_http://www.inter-islam.org/Actions/fast.htm#Compensatory

I know it doesn't make sense to us, but if you agreed to play a "game" as you put it, you have to obey the rules of the game. Do not mind this rule was placed by beings who don't have your best interest at heart.

As far as I know, in some Arab countries they spend the whole day sleeping during Ramadan and wake up when it is time to eat. This makes the suffering of the people in other countries somewhat meaningless. I look at people who work hard, but can't drink water because some book said so.

If the reason was their discipline, I would praise them. I don't see anything but fear in them. All that words like "understanding the poor" seems meaningless to me because when they are allowed to eat, they eat so much, so expensive things and they completely forget about the poor they were trying to understand. Words seems meaningless to me and when holiness of Ramadan is the subject you can't help but to notice doublethink.

One of the most disturbing things is that Qu'ran says it is sinful to eat in front of fasting people. If you don't fast, this cause them to think you are a sinner and they are beloved of "God". It really creates social pressures and arguments especially in Turkey which is a secular state but Islamists are really sensitive to such things. Last year I read an article of a man who wasn't permitted to use the bus because he wasn't fasting, eating something before getting into the bus. There was a fight, and in the end somebody stole his phone during the fight.

It is a really sad thing if you consider the whole point of Ramadan isn't just eating nothing, but also being free of dark thoughts, arguments and respect other people. So those people who made the fight are "good Muslims" and they are "fasting" according to their beliefs. By their fruits, you shall know them...

Just my two cents.

Biomiast said:
This is actually a rule. If you promise to observe the Ramadan before sunrise and break that promise that day, you have to fast for extra sixty days. The mistake of the girl here is breaking the promise intentionally. This is called compensatory fasting:

In case of intentional breaking of fast in Ramadhaan without any lawful excuse, the fast of its one-day is to be compensated by a fast of sixty consecutive days.

_http://www.inter-islam.org/Actions/fast.htm#Compensatory

I know it doesn't make sense to us, but if you agreed to play a "game" as you put it, you have to obey the rules of the game. Do not mind this rule was placed by beings who don't have your best interest at heart.

As far as I know, in some Arab countries they spend the whole day sleeping during Ramadan and wake up when it is time to eat. This makes the suffering of the people in other countries somewhat meaningless. I look at people who work hard, but can't drink water because some book said so.

If the reason was their discipline, I would praise them. I don't see anything but fear in them. All that words like "understanding the poor" seems meaningless to me because when they are allowed to eat, they eat so much, so expensive things and they completely forget about the poor they were trying to understand. Words seems meaningless to me and when holiness of Ramadan is the subject you can't help but to notice doublethink.

One of the most disturbing things is that Qu'ran says it is sinful to eat in front of fasting people. If you don't fast, this cause them to think you are a sinner and they are beloved of "God". It really creates social pressures and arguments especially in Turkey which is a secular state but Islamists are really sensitive to such things. Last year I read an article of a man who wasn't permitted to use the bus because he wasn't fasting, eating something before getting into the bus. There was a fight, and in the end somebody stole his phone during the fight.

It is a really sad thing if you consider the whole point of Ramadan isn't just eating nothing, but also being free of dark thoughts, arguments and respect other people. So those people who made the fight are "good Muslims" and they are "fasting" according to their beliefs. By their fruits, you shall know them...

Just my two cents.

When I read that and think about that silly healthy food obsession propaganda, psychopaths ruling our world, about what's happening to the people out there, living in pain, especially those Palestinians, d_mn, just makes me wanna cry.. And somehow I am reminded of those last lines from the Quotes thread: I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the chance were offered me. I really don't know about that myself, it's so dark.. but I guess I'm 3d thinking right now.

And these people above, they think they have ''free will'', it's just so sad... and from the Wave I read this which makes me feel a bit better about all of this:

LKJ said:
Most of humanity spends endless lifetimes locked in this room. But, the fact is, after a period of time, the confinement of the room and the sameness of the experiences become objectionable because, all the while the prisoner is lulled into inactivity, something may be growing inside him - some urge to see what is outside the room. But, until this inclination is fully developed, he may make no effort to even check the door. And, once he does check the door and discovers that it is locked, he may not yet have sufficient drive to do anything more than return to his position and continue to wait for something to happen. After a bit longer, the drive grows, and this, with the realization that he IS locked in may drive him to discover how to get out. But this process can take many lifetimes, and to attempt to open the door of the prison in which another is held when they are not ready to come out because they are not STRONG enough, will only frighten them, will only deprive them of the building force that is inside them that could, given time to develop, sustain the effort to emerge from the room on their own.

In such terms, whether or not a person has the power to do as he wills remains a fundamentally empirical question. He may think he has complete freedom to do or not as he wills, yet, his will, his choices which are based on his awareness, may be determined subconsciously or physically by things of which he is NOT aware. In this sense, any choice or act that is based upon lack of awareness, must lead us to discover the source of the lack of awareness as the causative factor, not the choice of the chooser.
In other words, if a person is "programmed," whether via government experiments, alien abductors, religions created and imposed by hyperdimensional beings, then WHO is ultimately responsible?

Is it the "programmers," or is it the person who has effectively chosen to be unaware?

Yes, the individual may be unaware because of fear of reprisals by God, demons, or his alien or government handlers. He may be afraid for his body or his soul or the body and soul of someone he loves. But these fears are beliefs that constitute the locked room in which he has chosen to remain not realizing that his own choice is the lock!

If the person is unaware, not because of fear, but simply because he is "asleep" is he then responsible for his lack of awareness?

According to the Cassiopaeans, Yes. It is his choice. He has chosen it for a reason at some level, and he is entitled to it. He has chosen his environment, he has chosen his grade and his lessons. Maybe "chosen" in the conscious sense is an inappropriate term. It is more like he is there because that is where he "fits." He is a "consciousness unit," and he is learning. Only when he reaches a certain level will he begin to "wake up." Only when something has "grown" in him. Will.

Biomast said:
If you like it, I think you should read it, but to give you some context: Ja'far Al Sadiq isn't a Sufi ... He is highly influenced by Islam, his ancestors and he has the same mindset Qu'ran has, even though he softens the issues a little bit. In terms of Islam(not Sufism), he was the most knowledgable scholar as far as I know. Abu Hanifa, who is believed to be the most important scholar among Sunnis attended the lectures of Ja'far Al Sadiq. So you aren't reading an empty man but if I were you, I would be careful about what he was filled in. I am not saying you can not extract truth from what he is writing, but you better be vigilant at all times.

Thank you for the information. I didn't know he wasn't a Sufi, because it was listed in the Sufi Section of the Library, although when reading I started to get the impression that Sufiism and Islam are extremely similar. And seeing as Ibn Al' Arabi made references to the Qu'ran, exactly how strong of a connection is there between Islam and Sufiism.

According to _encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Sufiism
Sufism (s`fĭzəm), an umbrella term for the ascetic and mystical movements within Islam. While Sufism is said to have incorporated elements of Christian monasticism, gnosticism, and Indian mysticism, its origins are traced to forms of devotion and groups of penitents (zuhhad) in the formative period of Islam. The early pious figures, later appropriated by Sufism, include Ali Ali (älē`) (Ali ibn Abu Talib), 598?–661, 4th caliph (656–61). Hasan al-Basri (d. 801), and Rabia al-Adawiyya, a woman from Basra (Iraq) who rejected worship motivated by the desire for heavenly reward or the fear of punishment and insisted on the love of God as the sole valid form of adoration. The word Sufi first appears in the 8th cent., probably in connection with the coarse wool that many ascetics wore.

Two central Sufi concepts are tawakkul, the total reliance on God, and dhikr, the perpetual remembrance of God. Al-Muhasibi (d. 857) and his disciple Junayd (d. 910) are representative early figures. The introduction of gnostic elements (marifa) into Sufism is often attributed to Dhu-n-Nun al-Misri (d. 859). Sufism nonetheless faced growing opposition from orthodox clerics. The scholastic and ecstatic paths further diverged with the concept of fana, the dissolution into the divine, advocated by al-Bistami (d. 874), and used by Hallaj in the declaration of his unity with God, which eventually led to his execution in 922. Islamic orthodoxy and Sufism were not irreconcilable, as attested by the attempt by al-Ghazali (d. 1111) to infuse conformist Muslim religious life with mysticism.

The evolution of Sufism in the post-Ghazali period was influenced by Ibn al-Arabi Ibn al-Arabi or Ibn Arabi, Muhyi ad-Din Muhammad bin Ali al-Hatimi at-Tai and Ibn al-Farid. Their theoretical contributions led to the development within Sufism of a complex system of initiation and progression toward the Divine and set the stage for the emergence of organized Sufi orders. This phase of literary Sufism was also characterized by the prominence of Persian works, notably those of Shihab ad-Din Suhrawardi (d. 1191), Farid ad-Din Attar Farid ad-Din Attar (färēd` äd-dēn ät-tär`), 1142?–1220?, and Jalal ad-Din Rumi Rumi, Jalal ad-Din Rumi(jäläl` ĕd-dēn` and the subsequent development of Persian, Turkish, and Urdu mystic poetry. Important Sufi figures elsewhere in the Islamic world include Muin ad-Din Chishti in India and Baha ad-Din Naqshband (d. 1390) in central Asia.

Sufi orders, which assimilated aspects of native religious traditions more readily than more dogmatic versions of Islam, played a major role in the expansion of Islam into sub-Saharan Africa and central, S, and SE Asia. The oldest extant order with attested historicity is probably the Qadiriyya, founded by Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani (d. 1166) in Baghdad. Other important orders include the Ahmadiyya (notably in Egypt), Naqshbandiyya (Central Asia), Nimatullahiyya (Iran), Rifaiyya (Egypt, SW Asia), Shadhiliyya (N Africa, Arabia), Suhrawardiyya and Chishtiyya (S and central Asia), and Tijaniyya (N and W Africa).

The work of Idries Shah has been instrumental in introducing Sufism to the West; see his The Sufis (1964) and The Way of the Sufi (1968). Although Sufism has made significant contributions to the spread of Islam and the development of various aspects of Islamic civilization (e.g., literature and calligraphy), many conservative Muslims disagree with many popular Sufi practices, particularly saint worship, the visiting of tombs, and the incorporation of non-Islamic customs. Consequently, in recent centuries Sufism has been a target for Islamic reformist and modernist movements.

After reading this is it correct to assume that Sufiism was a branch of Islam that formed its own path based upon the ability to integrate different aspects into it - ever evolving and changing maybe? And that's why the Conservatives and Orthodoxy came down so hard on the new practice, because it wasn't as rigid, or formalized in it's thinking, but possibly more fluid in it's growth.
Sufi orders, which assimilated aspects of native religious traditions more readily than more dogmatic versions of Islam, played a major role in the expansion of Islam into sub-Saharan Africa and central, S, and SE Asia.

Pryf said:
DanielS said:

Yes at first sight these words awaken in us an alarm status, because we asociate them with the Bondage state of man in ignorance.

Yeah, the terminology used seems very submissive in nature, although I understand what you are trying to say.
The kingdom of God cometh not with observation; neither shall they say, Lo here! or, Lo there! For behold, the kingdom of God is within you. (Luke 17:20-21)

foofighter said:
The confusion is that on the one hand I have the Qu'ran which seems so obviously twisted and distorted, and on the other Arabi and his teachings is said to be closely aligned to the C's, and yet Arabi and Chittick both say that the Qu'ran is great. I can't make head or tails of it. What am I missing? Is there any way to resolve this apparent contradiction?

Laura made a comment here regarding William Chittick's "The Sufi Path of Knowledge", in the context of trying to understand some of the visual phenomenon during the meditation.

I wonder if this might help to get to the real 'meat' of Ibn al-Arabi's writing and help sort out any confusion regarding Arabi's references to the Qu'Ran? I'm just guessing, but it sounds reasonable.

A while back I had questions on trying to understand my brother's 'Path into the Sufi Knowledge' and this thread has helped me quite a bit. I'd like to thank all for your helpful insight and for starting this thread. As I also have Chittick's book on my list of books to read, this will help me to try and read it with a more open mind to the meaning of the words.

DanielS said:
After reading this is it correct to assume that Sufiism was a branch of Islam that formed its own path based upon the ability to integrate different aspects into it - ever evolving and changing maybe? And that's why the Conservatives and Orthodoxy came down so hard on the new practice, because it wasn't as rigid, or formalized in it's thinking, but possibly more fluid in it's growth.

Unfortunately, nobody has an answer to that question exactly. Some Sufis believe they are seperate, some believe they are Islamic. Some Islamic scholars accept them and some don't. Considering how the same understanding developped in different parts of the world(Sufis at East and Cathars at West) and considering the similarities between those teachings, I don't think it is a branch of Islam, but rather a strategic enclosure as I explained in this thread. Of course there are those who call themselves Sufis and highly Islamic today and maybe also in the past.

You know the words esoteric and exoteric. In the East there are two words that could be considered as equivalent to them. There is "zahir" which means appearant, and there is "batin" which means hidden. All Sufi schools claim that Islamic Orthodoxy interprets Quran with a "zahiri" perception, meaning they don't understand the hidden meanings in it. They claim to know this hidden meaning and it may be interesting to note that this "hidden meaning" changes according to each school of thought.

If you attribute a hidden meaning to something, your possibilities are limitless. I see this as a form of buffering, Muslims do that too. When you ask: "How do you reconcile the fact that Muhammed attack the tribes around him to spread Islam?" they say: "Well he had no choice, what better way to send his message?" So he is sending the "message of peace" by fighting, very illuminating. Same can be applied to Sufis. Quran says Allah is one, Sufis say we are Him, like Arabi claimed, they claim Unity of Being. So the question comes down to "what did Quran meant by Allah is the one?"

Another example is praying, most of the Muslims turn to Kabaa and repeat certain movements at five times each day. Now isn't this a ritual? What do Sufis, for example lets say Alevis do? They form a circle, not facing Kabaa. When someone ask them, "why don't you turn to Kabaa?" they will answer: "We believe the Kabaa of a human being is another human being so we face with each other." Do you see the interpretation here? The direct order of "Allah" demands facing Kabaa, but they think this isn't the Kabaa Qu'ran meant. We know Muhammed didn't do that, he faced actual Kabaa so can we say this is Islam? Or Alevis don't pray but play music and say poems about certain things. They claim Quran doesn't give specific details about praying and this is the hidden meaning they extract from it.

You can make endless interpretations by following that logic. And you may find correlations between Islam and Sufism. If you couldn't find, then today Sufism would be a long gone heresy like Catharism. What I learned from Laura's work is that the message and messenger are closely tied to each other and the context is everything. Based on a look at the life of Muhammed, the claims that he has about himself, the bloodshed in the history from the recipient of the message and his closest, most beloved followers, I can't believe that the deeper meaning in Quran is benevolent and it is the starting point of Sufis.

There is a new fashion in Turkey, people merge Quran with New Age according to their beliefs. Personally I see those things far from obective reality and nothing but a projection of your thinking into a book. I did it many times in the past and I know the feeling "it fits". For my case, it was nothing but an illusion and wishful thinking.

I understand you though, after reading Jafar al Sadiq, he gives the impression of Sufism at first glance, mainly he too was affected by Greek philoposhers and tried to incorporate the teachings of his ancestors into that form to some extent. Many Sufi schools claimed to obtain their knowledge from him. Considering how different their knowledge were, either they are lying to save themselves from prosecution or Jafar al Sadiq made a sick joke to all of them. And you know from wikipedia entry that he teached to the best schloars of Orthodox Islam. How can one person teach with both of those conflicting world views, I have no idea.

The philosophy of my familiy's esoteric branch says somebody that we call sacred may do or say something that contradicts our belief, but he just did that to lead others astray so that few chosen people can understand the Truth. I followed that logic in the past and it doesn't produce objective understandings because our minds can't stop projection and see the real situation. Thankfully there are people who made and objective look at the Islamic history and show how Quran is contradictory and how it improved Muhammed's life style.

Turan Dursun was one of them in Turkey, yet he was assasinated because of his objective understanding. If you could read what he wrote about Muhammed by using Islamic sources you would be surprised and stop searching for any hidden meaning in Quran. It is purely sick, sexist, narcissistic and even psychopathic at times. I can't help remembering what an Alevi poet, Harabi said: "It is an inspiration from God, we are reading it, we have the Book. His book, his knowledge was inside him, not hidden inside a book and I believe this is what REAL Sufism is all about, not hidden meanings inside a book, but knowledge as a result of Work on the self in an ancient form.

I may be a little emotionally clouded about the subject, so I am open to any input.

Biomast I agree with you. There is no hidden meaning in the Qur'an. It is what it is, a book of submission (Islam means in arabic submission rather then the modern interpretation "peace" and the followers of religion are called "abd", which means slave). Muslims see it as a miracle. They claim that Muhammad didn't perform the great miracle of the other prophets and that his miracle is the ever lasting book he channeled (I tend to think he was a good person who has been successfully perverted by his contact over the years). From this perspective they don't question it. Even if they find some contradiction they find a way to say that it is only apparent contradiction for those who do not understand its hidden meaning, they simply don't see it. They also believe that all knowledge is encoded in it, which invalidate all other sources of knowledge by the way!!
The funny (an dramatic) thing is that when you ask a muslim about the contradictions in Qur'an, he tells you that there is no contradictions because it is said in the Qur'an that there is no contradictions. I usually claim that I, also, can write a book that starts with "this book is perfect and contains no contradictions, and if you think there are, it means that you understand nothing and that you are an unbeliever and that you will go to hell for eternity"... they don't appreciate this kind of humour generally...
I confess that at a certain period of my life I have been into these stupid beliefs :-[ and when I look back I don't recognise myself :/.
In this context, the only way to talk with muslims is to use excepts from Qur'an and give them the meaning we want to express, and IMHO that's what Ibn el arabi wanted to do. He just used the language of his time to cover his heresy. Knowing Islam and the Qur'an, I can say that Ibn el arabi has nothing to do with this nonsense and one can read his work concentrating on the core and just ignoring the islamic references. Reading between the lines so to say IMHO.

Biomast said:
Some Sufis believe they are seperate, some believe they are Islamic. Some Islamic scholars accept them and some don't. Considering how the same understanding developped in different parts of the world(Sufis at East and Cathars at West) and considering the similarities between those teachings, I don't think it is a branch of Islam, but rather a strategic enclosure as I explained in this thread. Of course there are those who call themselves Sufis and highly Islamic today and maybe also in the past.

This seems to be a slippery slope, and from what you are saying, there is probably a myriad of Sufi Schools, or groups that vary in large or small degrees, some closer to Islam in practices and belief, others very different, and like you said, similar in nature to Catharism.

Biomast said:
All Sufi schools claim that Islamic Orthodoxy interprets Quran with a "zahiri" perception, meaning they don't understand the hidden meanings in it. They claim to know this hidden meaning and it may be interesting to note that this "hidden meaning" changes according to each school of thought. If you attribute a hidden meaning to something, your possibilities are limitless.

This reminds me of http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=215.0 the thread that dealt with Imitation Fourth Way Groups. There are a number of groups that continued Gurdjieff's work, but without fully understanding what the Fourth Way really meant and the messages and understanding that Gurdjieff was trying to convey. It seems (not surprisingly) that the same is true of Sufiism. Depending on where and who you learn from, the teachings will either be 'spot on', 'way off' or a mixture of grey area inbetween.

Biomast said:
What I learned from Laura's work is that the message and messenger are closely tied to each other and the context is everything. Based on a look at the life of Muhammed, the claims that he has about himself, the bloodshed in the history from the recipient of the message and his closest, most beloved followers, I can't believe that the deeper meaning in Quran is benevolent and it is the starting point of Sufis

Could it be that the early Sufi mystics did see something of deeper meaning in the Qu'ran that Muhammed didn't mean to put in there, or had meant in another way. I remember a quote from Laura in another thread.

Laura said:
As Mephistopheles told Faust, "I am he who constantly intends evil, yet does good."

This is mainly conjecture on my part though. Although now, especially with Laura mentioning reading the Sufi Path of Knowledge on the EE thread, I'm going to put more effort in trying to find this book.
Laura said:
Generally, when certain channels/circuits begin to clear and open, but are not yet tuned, all kinds of stuff gets picked up. It's like turning on a radio receiver or a TV that is "between stations" or receiving interference. You can see faces, hear sounds, experience all kinds of interdimensional stuff. The key is to not get distracted by that stuff. Keep your eyes and focus on the light/knowledge.

There's a lot of great material about this sort of thing in the work of Ibn al-Arabi. A good source for this is William Chittick's "The Sufi Path of Knowledge." Just ignore all the references to "the prophet" and Islam and penetrate to the cosmology and discussions of knowledge and unveiling and so on

Biomiast said:
DanielS said:

Unfortunately, nobody has an answer to that question exactly. Some Sufis believe they are seperate, some believe they are Islamic. Some Islamic scholars accept them and some don't. Considering how the same understanding developped in different parts of the world(Sufis at East and Cathars at West) and considering the similarities between those teachings, I don't think it is a branch of Islam, but rather a strategic enclosure as I explained in this thread. Of course there are those who call themselves Sufis and highly Islamic today and maybe also in the past.

There are traditions which possibly constituted a way of life for people with a loose set of beliefs and practices extending far back into antiquity. Without a strong central authority promoting these traditions, they may just remain without a name for themselves. Then when some strong centralized tradition comes in from outside and threatens to overrun the existing way of life, there may be a push to form an organized standard and give a name to the existing way of life to protect itself from being overrun. Seems like this was the case for Taoism with the advent of Buddhism on the Chinese horizon (Russell Kirkland - Taoism The Enduring Tradition - thanks to Laura for suggesting this book.). In the case of Hinduism, the name itself was coined by foreign invaders. Due to the absence of any single original teacher and original text to be followed, such traditions are likely to be flexible and may easily incorporate within itself new ideas, beliefs and practices that are brought about by migration, invasion etc down the centuries. When someone tries to put a name to such a tradition and define it in later years, it may give rise to confusion and misinterpretations with different groups claiming their version to be the authentic one. Add to that politically motivated efforts to suit the needs of the time.
It may be possible that Sufism has followed a similar course. The wikipedia quote about Sufism traces its beginnings to the "formative period of Islam" - but what if it was a previously existing tradition that had to accept the political reality of the times and adapt itself to survive? To survive in an authoritarian environment, it may have had to take on the garb of the dominating religion - strategic enclosure as Biomiast said. Seems like a logical possibility.
fwiw

Back
Top Bottom