The Situation In Germany

While the YT video has drawn comments on the internet from around the world, the German semi-official TV channel PHOENIX was running a sanitized version of the event:

All is well. :cool:

For more context, here's the text from the RT.com article, where the original video is embedded:

Angela Merkel shakes AGAIN during official ceremony (VIDEO)
Concerns for German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s health grow once more as she was filmed struggling to keep her composure and visibly shaking during an official ceremony for the second time this month.

The incident happened during the formal appointing of the new justice minister in Berlin’s Bellevue Palace on Thursday morning. The chancellor began shaking while standing next to German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, who was delivering a speech. The shaking stopped and resumed several times.

Merkel was visibly distraught and placed both hands on her chest, trying to control herself. Nevertheless, she continued with the ceremony, and later shook hands, smiled, and posed for photos with other officials.

At one point, the chancellor was offered a glass of water. [However, on the German site of RT it comes with this addition (translated): Merkel was offered a glass of water which she accepted but returned immediately without drinking from it."]

After the ceremony, Merkel’s spokesperson said the chancellor “is feeling well” and will attend the G20 meeting in Osaka, Japan on June 28-29, as planned.

Angela Merkel was previously spotted shaking two weeks ago when she met Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. Her condition looked more severe that time, as the shaking seemed more violent. She told reporters then that she was just dehydrated and recovered after drinking several glasses of water.

So, the shaking doesn't seem to come from a lack of water indeed. And the German article also says, that the weather was more cool in Berlin this morning after several days of heat.

Last edited:

So not cold and not lack of water. I think that was pretty obvious from the first time. So what kind of condition produces this kind of shaking?

Eight possible causes for shaking:

Below are eight potential causes of shivering:
  • Fever. A fever may cause shivering. ...
  • Psychogenic movement disorders. For some people, stress or mental health factors can cause shivering and other involuntary movements. ...
  • Postanesthetic shivering. ...
  • Fear, excitement, or stress. ...
  • Tremor. ...
  • Low blood sugar. ...
  • Anxiety. ...
  • Sepsis.

These involuntary tremors appear to be neurological. Essential tremor of unknown etiology, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis or something along those lines. Definitely not dehydration, low blood sugar or cold.

It's possible she received some sort of diagnosis when she announced her retirement as chancellor and it is becoming worse (and noticeable) over time.

As the visit of the Ukrainian president had shown, Merkel seems to be prone to these symptoms as long as she has to keep standing still. Once she can walk about the tremor seems to subside.

During her 2017 state visit to Mexico she is said to have been experiencing similar symptoms but I couldn't find any videos corroborating that.

There is obviously no medication to suppress this condition, if only for an hour... ;-)

There is also a new incident where Merkel is having tremors. It happened during the announcement of the new justice minister today in Berlin.

These involuntary tremors appear to be neurological. Essential tremor of unknown etiology, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis or something along those lines. Definitely not dehydration, low blood sugar or cold.

Parkinson also crossed my mind in the beginning.

The Presidential schedules, in the last 2-3 weeks, have been really intensive preparing for the G20 summit - on top of the Iranian situation and shooting down of a US drone by Iran. From the information I have come across, Merkel tends towards being "a dedicated workaholic" and has rarely missed a scheduled meeting or other obligation since becoming Chancellor. Part of her health condition might be due to the rigors of her position, stress and meeting deadlines but there does seem to be signs - she's dealing with a health issue.

These first 3 photo's are from the G20 summit and she does seem to look "very pale" (face and hands) and lacking sleep?

Merkel hopes for G20 progress on U.S.-China trade dispute
German Chancellor Angela Merkel arrives at Kansai international airport ahead of the start of G20 leaders summit in Izumisano, Osaka prefecture, Japan, June 28, 2019, in this photo taken by Kyodo. Kyodo/via REUTERS

China's Xi, Germany's Merkel agree Iran issue should be resolved peacefully: Xinhua
Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel looks on during a bilateral meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump (not pictured) at the G20 leaders summit in Osaka, Japan, June 28, 2019.  REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

Germany's Merkel says trade, Iran on agenda in Trump summit
U.S. President Donald Trump shakes hands with Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel during a bilateral meeting at the G20 leaders summit in Osaka, Japan, June 28, 2019.  REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

Merkel suffers new trembling spell on eve of G20
1641736-904102467.jpg

Merkel: Germany risks been viewed as unreliable on arms
1497996-964647395.jpg

Merkel says she’s ‘fine’ after trembling spell
1629836-2137007838.jpg

1 / 2
German Chancellor Angela Merkel, right, stands next to Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskiy with military honors for a meeting at the chancellery in Berlin, Germany, Tuesday, June 18, 2019. (AP)
1629831-1301858110.jpg

2 / 2
German Chancellor Angela Merkel welcomes Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenski

Merkel was asked about the shaking again after the second happening above at the G20 summit that is happening right now, her answer was the same: "I'm doing very well".

In one video someone wants to give her a glass of water but she is so tremblurous that she refuses the glass. Oh, my. She is not well at all.

hey mrtn,
I can't watch itI'm in Germany. Does it still work for others?
I am in Germany too, and I can watch it.

So the "Dehydration"-narrative falls so soon... as this time she refuses the offered glass of water. Maybe she rejected it because it would have made the shaking more visible...?

So the "Dehydration"-narrative falls so soon... as this time she refuses the offered glass of water. Maybe she rejected it because it would have made the shaking more visible...?
The dehydration theory has a problem for me, although it may be nothing. In the following quote from Pashalis, you'll notice that dehydration is not listed as a cause of shaking:

Below are eight potential causes of shivering:
  • Fever. A fever may cause shivering. ...
  • Psychogenic movement disorders. For some people, stress or mental health factors can cause shivering and other involuntary movements. ...
  • Postanesthetic shivering. ...
  • Fear, excitement, or stress. ...
  • Tremor. ...
  • Low blood sugar. ...
  • Anxiety. ...
  • Sepsis.

Maybe it's just a cause that was left out or overlooked?

The dehydration theory has a problem for me, although it may be nothing. In the following quote from Pashalis, you'll notice that dehydration is not listed as a cause of shaking:
Yes, Nienna, I noticed and knew that. I was not referring to the real reason but to the NARRATIVE that Merkel herself put out to the press conference. Thats all.

Back
Top Bottom