THE WEIGHT OF CHAINS

Yozilla said:
Avala said:
Also, you possibly didn’t see it in your post, but only good Serb for you is the one who works for Croatia. :)

No, i was only trying to point out that trivializing that war just btw all Serbs and all Croats is out of place. PTB wanted to dissolve Yugoslavia - which was, by the way, far from paradise - and they used both hegemonic and separatist followers to start bloodshed. Both were duped separatists Croats and hegemonic Yugoslavs; and all others here. Now German banks and corporations rule here just like during Nazi occupation in WW2. But there is no TITO on a horizon...

Point taken. I agree!

BTW, maybe we could organize some socializing. There are some FOTCM members from Serbia now, who have some houses, so sleeping place is no problem. Let’s say some weekend in late may, early june, when weather gets nice. Would you guys (forum and fotcm guys) get together and come? It’s just some 3-4 hours from Zagreb tops! (And I personally promise that we won’t take you at the Turbo Folk concert! :D )

Or we could meet at Bosnian pyramids. We probably will go there some time in may. (Its not that we are some hard believers, but it is probably interesting to see and some of us have relatives there where we can sleep)

Excellent movie.

I recommend to all who want to hear some facts regarding the former Yugoslavia, and the southern Slavs in general.

Avala said:
BTW, maybe we could organize some socializing. There are some FOTCM members from Serbia now, who have some houses, so sleeping place is no problem. Let’s say some weekend in late may, early june, when weather gets nice. Would you guys (forum and fotcm guys) get together and come? It’s just some 3-4 hours from Zagreb tops! (And I personally promise that we won’t take you at the Turbo Folk concert! :D )

Or we could meet at Bosnian pyramids. We probably will go there some time in may. (Its not that we are some hard believers, but it is probably interesting to see and some of us have relatives there where we can sleep)

Nice idea - i was expecting moderators to react as usual that private contacts are not encouraged due to some experiences in the past...interestin' Exceptions are FOTCM members that are well acquainted - so maybe we should all apply for membership there - even me with some kind of form (filling) phobia :-[

Well i am basically not against socializing but i am from Split and pretty broke :cool2: Stuck here maybe for some good reason so i am announcing it this way to universe that if is so that i should grow where i'm planted - maybe i could be moved just, if, for another block from my current dwelling... Yeah dream on baby :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

I would also like to take a peek of Bosnian pyramids - maybe in some "better times... Curious Dr Samir Osmanagić has purchased a property on the island of Brač (city of Bol), near Split - so it could be interesting to meet him too... And just across Bol is island of Hvar (Pharos) SIGH!

OK there are some new lines entered into info field, will be interesting if this could result in something...

Yozilla said:
Avala said:

Nice idea - i was expecting moderators to react as usual that private contacts are not encouraged due to some experiences in the past...interestin' Exceptions are FOTCM members that are well acquainted - so maybe we should all apply for membership there - even me with some kind of form (filling) phobia :-[

Well i am basically not against socializing but i am from Split and pretty broke :cool2: Stuck here maybe for some good reason so i am announcing it this way to universe that if is so that i should grow where i'm planted - maybe i could be moved just, if, for another block from my current dwelling... Yeah dream on baby :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

I would also like to take a peek of Bosnian pyramids - maybe in some "better times... Curious Dr Samir Osmanagić has purchased a property on the island of Brač (city of Bol), near Split - so it could be interesting to meet him too... And just across Bol is island of Hvar (Pharos) SIGH!

OK there are some new lines entered into info field, will be interesting if this could result in something...

Of course. This is just the idea (for now :) ), but we should all set it and organize properly. There is time yet for that. The weather is still awful for such things.

You are not the only one with the form filing phobia :P I was going to send application for FOTCM since September, but didn’t had the money for the necessary costs and similar. I will send it these days. I mean I don’t see it as something like ‘a must’ more like something that someone should grow to it and become a member when he/she sees it as appropriate.

Money issues are probably even worse here, for example I travel around Serbia (and only if I must) only where I can go by the train, because the train is much much cheaper than the bus or car. But some of us have cars and some have some money, so we are much stronger when joined together :cool2:

The main thing, people everywhere, I mean in the whole world, are the same (as far as I saw them). Mostly decent and hard working (if they are paid!) loving their families and living the usual life. Except for a couple of rotten apples, and they too are everywhere.

Now, that is interesting! :D Something tells me that soon you will have there discovered some ancient port or something like that ;D

A blog I bookmared a while ago while researching what really led to the breakup of
Yugoslavia. I haven't had the chance to read much, but I've decided to post it since there
seems to be a growing interest about the subject. Please write you're thoughts about it
if possible.

http://yugoslavia-what-should-have-been-done.org/

[quote author=Saša]In 2011, allegedly, SANU created Memorandum II. Allegedly, because, unlike Memorandum I which was published in most renowned papers Večernje novosti, I couldn't find either one Serbian link to this information, but just Croatian and Bosnian. Here's the video (in Bosnian):

Regarding the "alleged" SANU Memorandum II, I said that I couldn't find the Serbian link, so I posted a Bosnian video. It would be really useless, IMO, to post many Croatian and Bosnian links here. Here's just two:

_http://www.dnevno.hr/vijesti/hrvatska/97470-admiral-davor-domazet-loso-u-srpskom-memorandumu-2-je-apostrofiran-vukovar.html
_http://www.hrvatski-fokus.hr/index.php/hrvatska/4672-drugi-memorandum-sanu-a-ili-kako-se-u-miru-dobivaju-izgubljeni-ratovi

And it's quite possible that it's all just pure propaganda, that's why I wrote that the "list" contains things that look like "propaganda" patterns.[/quote]

Well, it does seem to me like a propaganda. In the video they say that this Memorandum 2 was written before the Strategy about diaspora which was written in 2011, but in Croatian and Bosnian wikipedia it says that Memorandum 2 was written in 2012, so it couldn't be written before the Strategy:

_http://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorandum_SANU
_http://bs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorandum_SANU

And here is that Strategy from January 2011: _http://dijaspora.gov.rs/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/strategija_mvd2011.pdf
You can find the Latin version on tportal.hr using google search.

But when you read the next article you will find this:

Tako dolazimo do drugog razloga zbog kojeg treba govoriti o Memorandumu SANU. Taj je Memorandum dobio dva nastavka, u Srbiji i RS-u, kao detaljniju razradu iste one ideje koja je pokrenula klaonicu na ovom dijelu Balkana. Ova dva dokumenta, oba iz iste, 2012. godine, konačni su putokazi na putu ostvarenja velikosrpskog cilja.

Razbijanje države BiH nastavlja se Memorandumom Akademije nauka Republike Srpske, objavljenom u novembru 2012. godine, i to na službenoj web stranici predsjednika RS Milorada Dodika, povodom 17. godišnjice Dejtonskog sporazuma.

_http://www.balkanpost.net/clanak/1882/memorandum-sanu-br2-na-snazi

So, supposedly there are two such documents, one written in Serbia and one in Republika Srpska, but nobody can give any links to them?

It also says that part of this document is first published in Free Bosnia magazine in Sarajevo:

Svojevremeno je novinarka Mirha Dedić u sarajevskom magazinu “Slobodna Bosna” otkrila veliku tajnu: Memorandum SANU broj 2, koji konkretizuje zadatke u daljem sprovođenju velikosrpske ideje.

_http://www.balkanpost.net/clanak/1882/memorandum-sanu-br2-na-snazi

So it could be only Bosnian propaganda. If it is not, then why nobody gives a links to the documents?

It seems that Croatian media only talks abot the year of 1986 as a beginning of dissolution of Yugoslavia. But the truth is that things escalated much before that, in 1981, just one year after Tito died, with the protests in Kosovo: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_protests_in_Kosovo

You can see here some news reports about that:

Demonstrations in Kosovo 1981
Part 1:_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXx_o-mYuKA#t=313
Part 2: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhElyjs4sa0
Part 3: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJtsA_SNzY4

It is partly in German so you can turn on the automatic German subtitles and then turn on the translation in English. It's not great but better than nothing.

And also this German video which talks about Kosovo happenings in 1981 and 1989:

Kosovo conflict
Part 1: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XslAH9Qbq1U
Part 2: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_nIxd2bYw4
Part 3: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR865iyzcS8

I also found a very interesting Albanian documentary with English subtitles that talks about Kosovo events from 1981 to 2006, and some more things before that (like the new Constitution in 1974):

A Quarter Of The Century (ep1&2): _https://vimeo.com/25793912
A Quarter Of The Century (ep3&4): _https://vimeo.com/25878406

That documentary also mentiones the role of Croatian officials, at 1:01:21 of the second video:

- It was also needed another electonical medium to feed the Kosovar Albanians for the success of their leader, the biggest party - LDK, and peaceful thinking that was proclaimed for long time. For 15 minutes news that Croatian radio had offered for Kosovars, other plans were plotted that had very little to do with information.

- I recieved a phone call from Agim Mala saying that soon in Zagreb, in Radio Croatia, there will be broadcasted a news emission in Albanian. They had managed to convince Franjo Tuđman to give the Albanians 5 minutes to broadcast those news.

- The people who dealt with media at that time, our journalists, managed also through different channels and requests, in Croatia, in Zagreb, to make possible for Kosovo a space from 22:00 to 22:15. It was a news emission of 12-13 minutes, in Albanian. During which news from Kosovo were broadcasted.

- I was made a deal that we had 5 minutes of news with the condition that we stimulated the war in Kosovo to open the so-called South Front. Because Croatia was preparing for starting war.

- There were oficial and unofficial Croatian aims to open a front and start a war. There were aims that the Kosovar-Albanian soldiers would smell the flavour of powder and learn by the war in Croatia. And then go through Herzegovina and Sandžak, which was silly according to me, and break through Kosovo as liberation army.

- At that time there were many serious ideas and offers that our peaceful resistance changed into violent resistance.

- Simply, if we had power at that time, if we were powerful, I would had immediately started the war in Kosovo, within a short time with an active, legitimate resistance.

- Since it has passed a long time, and it is not anymore a secret, as then were held meetings by Albanians in Stubicke Toplice, in Zagreb. There were also high level meetings with Franjo Tuđman, and with his officials.

- Based on this perspective, it was clear that the Croatian side rubbed their hands, hoping that the South Front would open, so that it would discharge somehow.

I stumbled upon a book which I don't know how truthful it is in its entirety, but the first chapter is very informative about the period of 1971-1981 in Kosovo. Here is one review of the book which says that it is a little biased, but still good in explaining some things: _http://inserbia.info/today/2013/11/kosovo-how-myths-and-truths-started-a-war/

And below are the excerpts from the first chapter which you can find here: _http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520218659

Laying the Foundation: 1971-1981

From 1971 to 1981, Albanians in Kosovo progressively gained rights and, in the process, experienced unparalleled progress in the fields of education, science and culture. With the opening of the University of Pristina in 1969, Kosovars had access to Albanian-language instruction in primary, secondary and university classes;(2) institutes for Albanian literature and culture were opened; and cultural ties between Albania and Kosovo were permitted, leading to an influx of books from Albania to Kosovo, the exchange of visiting professors and even the planning of joint film productions.(3) Although not perfect, the national "key" system--akin to proportional affirmative action--assured Albanian representation on managerial boards of state enterprises, in civil service and in provincial and federal government. During 1978-79, the vice-president of the federal Presidency (which after the death of Tito became a collective body) was a Kosovo Albanian, Fadil Hoxha, making him the highest-ranking Kosovo Albanian ever in Yugoslavia. Within the framework of Yugoslavia, then, Kosovo Albanians had never achieved so much in such a short time.

At what appeared to be the zenith of Kosovo Albanian achievements, those who seemed to be benefiting the most from the reforms, the young intellectuals, decided to take action to push for even greater change. The improved conditions for Albanians in Kosovo had created a better educated, healthier and more ambitious population. But also, by opening the door for hope, the improvements had tapped discontent.(4) As a result, the decade of 1971-1981 was characterized by "a growing confidence among local Albanian leaders, who felt uneasy under Serbian 'paternalism,' as well as an increasing number of mass protests, demonstrations, and riots that rejected it unconditionally."(5)

The staging of Albanian demonstrations at this time period confounded Serbs. After all, things seemed to be going so well. "Minority rights of Albanians in Kosovo until 1989 were guaranteed beyond and in excess of international standards," legal scholar Vladan Vasilijevic notes.(6) The sentiment among Serbs was along the lines of: "We had given them everything, even their own university, their own government."(7) But Albanians did not want to be in the position of being given anything. Despite the reforms, notes Sami Repishti, a U.S.-based academic originally from Kosovo, "the feeling of dependency on Serbia . . . remained a major source of friction and deep dissatisfaction."(8) Moreover, Kosovo Albanians felt a personal affront at not being considered a "nation" but only a "nationality," a lower status under the nomenclature of Yugoslavia. The insult of Yugoslavia not considering Albanians a "nation" could not be compensated with a university, nor with a provincial government.

In 1981, Yugoslavia was composed of six nations--Slovenes, Montenegrins, Croats, Serbs, Macedonians and Muslims--and all the rest of the groups of people were considered "nationalities" or "ethnic minorities." "Muslims"--ethnic Slavs who had converted to Islam during Ottoman rule--were the last group to be given the status of a nation (in 1968), having been allowed the appellation on the federal census in 1961. The term "Muslim" did not refer only to religion; the practicing of Islam was neither necessary nor sufficient for inclusion in this group. (For example, Muslim Albanians were not considered to be part of this national grouping of Muslim.) Rather, "Muslim" referred to a group defined by a bundle of markers of a distinctiveness: language, culture, economic life, real and imagined history and a sense of territoriality.(9) Albanians living in Yugoslavia pointed out that they had all those markers. There were more Albanians in Yugoslavia than there were Montenegrins; why should the latter be a nation while the former were not? The only reason, it seemed, was that they were considered to have a nation elsewhere--Albania--and thus they could not "have two." Some feared that the promotion of an Albanian nation within Yugoslavia would challenge the country's territorial integrity. Promotion of a Muslim identity in Bosnia-Herzegovina was thought to help serve as a buffer against territorial claims from Croatia and Serbia and, thus, promote the continued existence of Yugoslavia, but promotion of an Albanian Kosovar identity was viewed as a threat to Yugoslav unity. Some Albanian commentators suggest that Yugoslavia, being at its core a Slavic country, would never give a non-Slavic population, such as the Albanians, the status of a "nation."(10)

As a mere "nationality," Kosovo Albanians did not have the right to their own republic. The heart of the political tensions in Kosovo rested in this denial of republic status.(11) Nevertheless, constitutional changes introduced in 1969, 1971 and 1974 gave Kosovo greater autonomy and the ability to forge direct links with federal authorities.(12) Under the 1974 Constitution for the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Kosovo was considered an "autonomous province" of Serbia.(13) This made Kosovo a "quasi-republic," with a government, constitution, police, courts, school system, industry and economic institutions--almost everything except the right to secede from the federation, a right that the full-status republics possessed. As Albanian political leader Azem Vllasi has observed, "Kosovo functioned as a republic in the federal state of Yugoslavia and we were not [a republic] only by name."(14) But for Kosovo Albanians, almost was not good enough. The rights of the territorial unit known as "the Autonomous Province of Kosovo" were still at least formally tied to the Constitution of the Republic of Serbia.(15) Shedding every trace of dependence on Serbia became Kosovo Albanians' primary goal.

Albanian national consciousness, like other forms of national consciousness in the Balkans and elsewhere, was formed in large part in relationship to a real and imagined historical past, as written, told and shared. In Yugoslavia, the line was thin between permissible exploration of culture and condemned "counterrevolutionary" behavior, "hostile propaganda," or acts deemed to be "incitement of national hatreds." Still, by and large, the rules of the game were well known.(16) Kosovo Albanians pushed the envelope when in 1978 they held a series of festivities commemorating the League of Prizren centennial. The League, the primary symbol of the Albanian "national awakening," had called in 1878 for a unified Albanian state and full autonomy for all Albanian-inhabited territories in the Ottoman empire.(17) To mark this seminal event, nearly every predominately Albanian town in Kosovo held celebrations of Albanian literature, song and history. Local and federal authorities tolerated the gatherings, hoping that they would provide some kind of catharsis. However, leaflets printed and distributed in connection with these events were condemned as illegal, and in some places verbal confrontations erupted between Albanians and police.(18)

The League of Prizren events, the blossoming of Albanian literature and folk festivals, and the flying of the Albanian flag alongside the Yugoslav (at a time when the flying of a Serbian or Croatian flag would have been met with a jail sentence)--all of these steps were seen by many Yugoslavs as unwise indulgence of Albanian nationalism.

Dissatisfaction among Kosovars was compounded by the dire economic situation in Kosovo. Although development aid was pumped into Kosovo through a federal fund for development of underdeveloped areas at a rate far higher than in any part of the country (see table 1.1),(40) the economic ventures in the province had little impact on the quality of people's lives. Instead of boosting the province's industrial output and creating jobs for workers, the funds had been directed disproportionately into the administrative sector of the bureaucracy and to heavy industry dinosaurs. As a result, while the pockets of the well-connected had been lined with federal cash, the general population of Kosovo saw little improvement in everyday life. One quarter of all employed Kosovars were government employees,(41) but few jobs existed outside the government sector. The unemployment rate in Kosovo was the highest in the country--27.5 percent--compared to a mere 2 percent unemployment in Slovenia, the most prosperous republic, the same year.(42)

Meanwhile, conditions in other federal units improved, widening the development gap between Kosovo and all other republics. The per capita income in Kosovo declined from 48 percent of the Yugoslav average in 1954, to 33 percent in 1975, to 27 percent by 1980.(43) According to calculations by Serbian economists, Albanians continued to earn less than members of other ethnic or national groups; moreover, Albanians earned far less in Kosovo and in Serbia proper than in any other part of Yugoslavia (see table 1.2).

The gaps between the more developed federal units (Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia) and the less developed units continued to widen, and within the group of "less developed" units Kosovo progressively slipped farther and farther to the bottom.

The people who lived in Kosovo, however, looked for a target for their frustrations. Kosovo Albanians were most likely to blame federal or republic officials for historically neglecting the region and for pursing poor economic plans. In particular, as some economists have pointed out, "the developed regions had more manufacturing industry, with less developed regions predominately basic-industry oriented."(52) For three decades, Kosovo had produced raw materials that were then processed in Serbia proper and elsewhere, making Kosovo dependent on other parts of Yugoslavia for finished goods.(53)

Instead of combating the economic disparities, the University of Pristina offered only a palliative and ultimately destructive alternative. Instead of immediately joining the ranks of the unemployed, the best and brightest of Kosovo could attend the university, where their expectations would increase and sense of self would develop; but upon graduation they would still not find a job in their field. University graduates could find little work in Kosovo apart from "the inflated administrative machine and in the cultural institutions which had also been the recipients of [federal] funds which ought to have been spent on projects of greater economic relevance."(58) Opportunities in the rest of Yugoslavia were even worse, especially for those who were educated only in the Albanian language. Meanwhile, the resentment of the Serb and Montenegrin population toward the numerous Albanian students grew; the students were accused of monopolizing the few opportunities that did exist and of overburdening republic and federal coffers that had to foot the bill for their education.(59)

The problem was compounded by the chosen courses of study at the university. Instead of training students for technical careers in a modern age, the university specialized in liberal arts, in particular in Albanian literature and culture.(60) Competition for the few jobs that existed in this field was fierce. Also, lacking a sufficient supply and breadth of Albanian-language textbooks in these subjects, the high schools and universities imported texts from Albania. Given Albania's different ideological bent, these texts necessarily included ideological and philosophical undercurrents contrary to those produced in Yugoslavia. Tito had originally envisioned the cultural exchange between Kosovo and Albania as a bridge along which Yugoslavia would be able to exert influence over Albania. For the most part, however, there was only one-way traffic from Albania to Kosovo, and the young Kosovar students were "like a very parched sponge, immediately avid to absorb anything that helped to illuminate their past history and made sense of their contemporary situation."(61) Those who were university students in 1981 contend that they looked beyond the ideological leanings of the books to the cultural content.(62) Nonetheless, the books, the students and the educational system would later be blamed for the growing discontent at the University of Pristina.

By 1981, the student population in Pristina had ballooned to over twenty thousand--nearly one in ten adults in the city.(63) Kosovo had the dubious honor of having the highest ratio of both students and illiterates in Yugoslavia. The Albanian nationalist movement in Kosovo found its most vocal supporters and leaders among the young, educated unemployed. Tito was aware of this growing danger during his last visit to Kosovo (and one of his last pubic experiences) on October 16, 1979. He warned members of the party that "Kosovo must truly be the concern of all our peoples of the entire Yugoslav union," and that "more development is in the interest not only of Kosovo, but all of Yugoslavia."(64) Kosovo did not need just more development funds, it desperately needed more efficient social and economic strategies that were more attentive to the region's national tensions. These improvements never came. Instead, within a year of Tito's death, the University of Pristina would erupt in the worst violence in Yugoslavia since the end of the Second World War.(65)

BTW as I was watching a video about a landslide in Montenegro, a couple of days ago, I saw one very interesting thing. The President of the Municipality of Ulcinj, in Montenegro, had a flag of Albania next to flag of Montenegro: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayv-RUIwvWM#t=92

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that is a common practice in most of the countries of the world.

Another interesting short documentary from 1992 about the history of Yugoslavia. In here we can see that Slovenia was supporting Albanians in the Kosovo from the beginning of the conflict and that Serbs were not happy about that.

The Roots of War

Part 1: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJPbbFpRzZU
Part 2: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdBqOpUvdbc
Part 3: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPlQIQq07zc

BTW today's statement of Serbian PM, speaking about the situation in Kosovo:

"We have to behave, if I may say, as some have behaved in our environment for decades to come to the realization of their objectives. I think that wisdom, seriousness, responsibility and commitment are our advantages, and not any kind of war or confrontation," Vucic concluded.

_http://www.rts.rs/page/stories/sr/story/125/Dru%C5%A1tvo/1861050/Vu%C4%8Di%C4%87%3A+Preuzimam+odgovornost+za+tragediju.html

He obviously wants to say that we have to be a good friends with the higher powers, like other countries in the Balkans were in the 20th century, so that they will support us in our (his) objectives. That would explain why is he now friend with Tony Blair.

For those interested in Balkans drama I'm recommending a very interesting book I've read recently. The title is "Moj beogradski dnevnik (My Belgrade diary)" written by Darko Hudelist. Darko Hudelist is well known Croatian journalist with respectable professional references. This book is about describing his experiences with one of the most known Serbian intellectual and modern writers Dobrica Ćosić (1921-2014). Dobrica Ćosić is considered in Croatia as father of the notorious project of Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts, called Memorandum which, supposedly, is foundation of the idea of creating Greater Serbia thus provoking Balkan wars back in '90. In his book he describes his experiences with Dobrica during his stay in Belgrade, he actually moved from Zagreb to live there from 2006-2011 in order to collect all available data for his project. I find this book packed with a lot of informations previously not available, primarily to Croatian public due heavy media manipulations in past decades, some things I've read there I didn't ever heard before and to be honest some made my jaw dropped. Unfortunately, although main character, Dobrica Ćosić is well aware of the games played back then, still remains with unanswered questions, as well as author himself due lack of knowledge about ponerology and psychopats in charge. Anyway, highly recommended although the book is currently available only in Croatian.

A broad selection of the misdoings, NATO committed in Yugoslavia, collected and presented while the evidence was fresh:
http://www.iacenter.org/warcrime/research.htm said:
Independent Commission of Inquiry to Investigate U.S./NATO War Crimes Against the People of Yugoslavia

Selected Research Findings

Table of Contents

Summary of research

Scope of the Inquiry

1. NATO Occupation of Kosovo: Brian Becker

2. NATO’s Sponsorship of Kosovo Liberation Army: Keith Pavlic

3. U.S. Conspiracy to Overthrow Yugoslav Government: Sara Catalinotto

4. Damage to Civilian Infrastructure: Lois Singer

5. Destruction to the Environment: Sergei Alschen

6. Damage to Agriculture: Deirdre Sinnott

7. Destruction of Educational Facilities: Malcolm Cannon

8. Damage to Civilian Health: Sharon Eolis

9. Destruction of Cultural and Historical Sites: Nina Posidelow and Athanasia Mantzouranis

10. Destruction of the Yugoslav Media: Carol Holland

11. Use of Illegal Weapons: Benno Aichele and Andrew Nye

12. Assassination Attempts and Other Attacks on Yugoslav Leaders: Leonard Sanford and Forrest Schmidt

13. U.S. Military Spending: Ellen Catalinotto and Nancy Mitchell

14. Violation of International and Domestic Laws and Conventions: Milos Petrovic

15. Economic Motivation for the U.S./NATO War Against Yugoslavia: Gail Mansouri

16. Future Plans for Dismemberment: Joseph Yuskaitis

17. Economic Provisions of Rambouillet: John Caruso

18. Selective Reconstruction: Robert Cantley

19. Damage to the Yugoslav Army: Sergei Alschen

20. Dismemberment of Yugoslavia: The Case of Kosovo: John Catalinotto

21. Is the International Court of Justice Just? James Pione

22. The Rambouillet Accord: Pretext for a War of Aggression: Richard Becker

23. The Forced Migration of Serbs and the Dismemberment of Yugoslavia: Branka Al-Hamdy

24. Demonization of Serbs in the Media Rados Piletic

25. Civilian Casualties of NATO's War on Yugoslavia: Vivian Martin
Below is an example from a paper
http://www.iacenter.org/warcrime/15_econ.htm said:
Chapter 15. Economic Motivation for the U.S./NATO War Against Yugoslavia

By Gail Mansouri (New York)

The quest to make the world safe for capitalism as well as to insure that capitalists can continue to enrich themselves at the expense of working and poor people motivate U.S. interventions globally. This economic driving force is not only a 20th Century phenomenon. U.S. leaders have revealed the real motives for war from the earliest days of U.S. expansionism. When the U.S. invaded Canada in 1812, Andrew Jackson admitted, "We are going to...vindicate our right to free trade, and open markets...(qtd in Orchard). In relation to the more recent intervention in Kosovo, President Clinton said, "if we’re going to have a strong relationship that includes our ability to sell around the world, Europe has got to be a key....That’s what this Kosovo thing is all about." Clinton’s statement is not the first to lend credence to the suggestion that capitalist motives are primary in formulating a U.S. global strategy. In 1993, a Pentagon spokesperson said that "a prosperous, largely democratic, market-oriented zone of peace and prosperity that encompasses more than two-thirds of the world’s economy" requires the "stability" that only American "leadership" can provide. In 1998, in a speech to the Boston Chamber of Commerce, Defense Secretary William Cohen explained NATO expansion as a way of "spreading the kind of security and stability that Western Europe has enjoyed since World War II to Central and Eastern Europe....And with that spread of stability, there is a prospect to attract investment." [...]

What happened to the places NATO bombed like Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan or its proxy wars in Syria, Ukraine og Yemen is known. The affected people have suffered and the proofs are many. In the case of the former Yugoslavia see fx http://www.iacenter.org/warcrime/11_weapn.htm

It is problematic that the so-called allies who went along and participated in the bombing of Yugoslavia and other places, when confronted with the information that illegal weapons were used or that cilivians and civilian targets were hit, only can say that at least they did not use these weapons. When the culprits are asked, they deny it, or deny they are dangerous, or minimize the amount below what is evident and they take hardly any responsibility for the clean-up afterwards of their military-industrial environmental waste.

Next time around the allies are asked by the leading powers to contribute to the safety of the world, nobody discusses the problems they made last time, the illegal weapons, the tortures, the widespread chaos and destruction. Instead the question is reduced to: "How to get enough votes in the local parliament for a military intervention? It is a very cynical approach to "solving problems".

TWOC 2 is now available on you tube, excellent documentary that ties well current happenings in Balkans with world wide take over by neo liberalism.
Make sure to click subtitles, while the narration is in English many of the contributors speak in their native languages. Available in Spanish also.

https://youtu.be/vNNG_mn_9DU

Thanks for posting the link for the second part of The Weight of Chains. It explains how Yugoslavia was run into the ground and explains the background for recent events, including

Balkan Politics Almost Spoiled The World Cup
The politicized stunts of Albanian and Croatian players raised awareness [...]
and
The subject is The Politicization of Sport: We’re All French At The FIFA Final
[...]If there’s any good from all the nazi charade Albanians in Switzerland team and Croatian representatives presented, is that the world, whoever wants to, could see what are they up to, what’s their state ideology and that they completely devotedly embraced it.

No surprise, since the so-called Greater Albania, as well as the Independent State of Croatia, were Nazi allies, and never paid war reparations nor were subject to the same treatment as Germany. [...]
And going back to the early 1990'ies there was:
Mass Killings Of Serbs for organs only boosted in Kosovo, but it started earlier: in Croatia, Vukovar']Mass Killings Of Serbs for organs only boosted in Kosovo, but it started earlier: in Croatia, Vukovar[/URL]][...]

These crimes didn’t start in Kosovo but in all the territories of the SFRY where NATO interfered and intervened in armed conflict vs. Serbian people.

It started in the Republica Srpska Krajina (RSK)

The bloody industry of death began in the RSK (Serbian territories in Lika, Banija, Kordun, Slavonia after 1995 illegally occupied by Croatia) where the organs of captured and imprisoned Serbs were extracted for the rich in the West and Petrol-monarchy (i.e. Saudi Arabia). There was a hospital in Vukovar led by Dr Vesna Bosanac (between 30 July and 19 November 1991). [....]Testimonies from Vukovar: Criminal Penal Code [...]

After discovering the second part og Weight of Chains, I watched it and it is very well done and they cover a lot of ground. In some ways what has happened in the former Yugoslavia might well be what is in store for much greater parts of Europe once the destruction of societies through migrations assisted through social unrest in the Muslim world from Afghanistan to Western Africa.

There is a very accurate description of what the destruction of the educational system has done for Serbia at around minute 52- 54. One professor says, the childrin learn about 10 % of what they did in the past.

With respect to the notes about Croatia in the previous post there is one quote that might be of interest

The Weight of Chains 2 at around 1:32 said:
Igor Mandic, writer, literary critic, columnist essayist:
"Since we are a country that's been sold, partly seized, partly sold into debt slavery, we neither have our own material nor cultural indentity, even our lands are for sale. We sold all the factories, all the banks have foreign ownership, there is only one still in our hands, which is a miracle. We ate our substance, ate, sold, spent, wasted, remained with nothing and like that, we are rushing into the vastness of historical reality, as our deceased Franjo Tudjman would say. Fascism is creeping up behind practically all European countries. That's why Croatia shouldn't be ashamed of entering the European Union, because we are there with those who are like us."

Back
Top Bottom