Train derailments and explosions and chemical spills

Crash accident at the subway of Mexico City, in development.

Yes, I don't doubt the lack of maintenance. But after the application of the injections there is a huge elephant in countless places including public transport in too many countries.
---

"Current information:

16 people were transferred to hospitals; of the 4 people trapped in the train, 3 have already been rescued, one remains to be rescued.

So far, one death has been reported.

I am on my way to the scene, I will keep you informed."

Images inside a crashed wagon
---
"Again #MetroCDMX: train crash 🚇 now on #Línea3 running from #IndiosVerdes to #Universidad.

Again #EsClaudia! It's #Morena, they are the ones who "support" the poor "for political strategy". And this is how she wants to be president!"

---
Again the #Linea3, the #MetroCDMX getting worse and worse with @Claudiashein.

Yes, I don't doubt the lack of maintenance. But after the application of the injections there is a huge elephant in countless places including public transport in too many countries.

Strange that there has been no report of what happened to the driver or how he is doing. It is not known if it was a control center error or a maneuver or driver error.

All the victims are women or children because the first cars are for the exclusive use of women.

I wondered about how much or little the train driver had a roll in the accident.

I can tell from the Stockholm subway, as a driver - there is something called the “dead man’s grip”. It is a physical function (a pedal) which is supposed to prevent the train from continuing driving, if the driver has a heart attack, dies, etc.

So, the foot pedal (alternative a second grip) needs to be pushed down constantly) in order to be able to keep driving/accelerating the metro train at the same time while using the “side stick” (which regulates acceleration or breaking power).

I do however not know anything about how other countries trains are constructed / are managed while driving. I assume, but do not know, that they have a similar feature like a “dead man’s grip”….

I can tell from the Stockholm subway, as a driver - there is something called the “dead man’s grip”. It is a physical function (a pedal) which is supposed to prevent the train from continuing driving, if the driver has a heart attack, dies, etc.

So, the foot pedal (alternative a second grip) needs to be pushed down constantly) in order to be able to keep driving/accelerating the metro train at the same time while using the “side stick” (which regulates acceleration or breaking power).
I'm curious, do you sometimes need to brake slightly before you pass through a curve or are the tracks designed so that you can go at full speed with no problems?
cGc

:-D

I'm curious, do you sometimes need to brake slightly before you pass through a curve or are the tracks designed so that you can go at full speed with no problems?
cGc

:-D
Of course i have to use the breaks in a curve. ;-)

Our rail (at the green line in Stockholm) has a digital safety system communicating with the train’s software which disallows me to exceed certain speeds - and forces me to slow down. If i disobey that - it will activate the emergency breaks after a couple of seconds and the train comes to a stop.

The speed limits vary across the Stockholm subway Green Line and its highly changing rail conditions (curvy, straight, outdoor, indoor, sections where the rails are worked on, etc.

But there are still manual signs with speed limits placed out - which i too have to obey and slow down the train manually.

In theory i can drive the drain on automatic (ATO) and it will slow down the train into the next station until stand still. But we don’t use it anymore. Why ? Well already many years ago, they realized that the ATO system consumed much more power :lol: all the effort to implement and finetune that system - which took many years… for nothing.

But… this is “Stockholm subway clown authorities and companies” in a nutshell. it has happened with many expensive aspects, systems, ideas, implementations etc - taking years and cost hundreds of millions SEK, and then… uhm… being discarded or unused. Over and over again. It is as if they never learn.

So.

Even with all the digital woodoo, a subway train can derail with a pair of wheels, despite speed restrictions. It has happened a few times in the past. Either because of something wonky happened with the train itself, or because of detrimental conditions in the rail itself.

Strange that there has been no report of what happened to the driver or how he is doing. It is not known if it was a control center error or a maneuver or driver error.

It says here:

Sheinbaum said one woman was killed and 57 people injured, who were taken to seven hospitals. Four people were trapped in the wreckage for a time, including one train driver, who was reported in serious condition. Late in the afternoon, the mayor said 26 of the injured had been released.

This photo taken with a drone shows portions of a Norfolk and Southern freight train that derailed Friday night in East Palestine, Ohio are still on fire at mid-day Saturday, Feb. 4, 2023. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)
1 of 5
This photo taken with a drone shows portions of a Norfolk and Southern freight train that derailed Friday night in East Palestine, Ohio are still on fire at mid-day Saturday, Feb. 4, 2023. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

EAST PALESTINE, Ohio (AP) — A train derailment and resulting large fire prompted an evacuation order and a declaration of a state of emergency in an Ohio village near the Pennsylvania state line, covering the area in billows of smoke lit orange by the flames below.

About 50 cars derailed in East Palestine as a train was carrying a variety of freight from Madison, Illinois, to Conway, Pennsylvania, rail operator Norfolk Southern said in a statement Saturday. There was no immediate information about what caused the derailment. No injuries were reported.

Mayor Trent Conaway of the village of East Palestine declared a state of emergency, citing a “train derailment with hazardous materials.” Air quality was being monitored throughout a one-mile zone ordered evacuated and there had been no dangerous readings to report, he said.

Norfolk Southern said the train was carrying more than 100 cars, 20 of which were classified as carrying hazardous materials, defined as cargo that could pose any kind of danger “including flammables, combustibles, or environmental risks.”

The National Transportation Safety Board said Saturday that it was “launching a go-team to investigate” the derailment, and board member Michael Graham would “serve as spokesperson on scene.”

Adding the Ohio community to my prayers. 🙏

I live by very busy railroad tracks. Some years ago, a derailment happened close by. It was a miracle that the same, or worse didn"t happen. A few tankers carrying poison gas, fell into the river, containing the gases, keeping them from spreading into the ambient atmosphere. If that had not happened, the people in my neighborhood, and towns above and below us, could have died of respiratory paralysis....It was a chlorinated compound gas.

Vinyl chloride looks to be the worst if it, though they’re not releasing what all the cargo was. Byproducts of vinyl chloride are phosgene and acid. Phosgene can definitely do damage….. People just don’t realize how dangerous most stuff is, hell, concentrated coca-cola is considered hazmat.

Back
Top Bottom