translation problems: self-denial

OrangeScorpion

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
There is a Psyche's message in the following thread which I find very interesting, but I do not know if I am translating it and understanding it correctly.

Hay un comentario de Psyche en el siguiente hilo que me parece muy interesante, pero no sé si lo estoy traduciendo y entendiendo correctamente.

Psyche said:
I think jealousy is a combination of fear, hurt and anger that flourish when you are in self-denial about the lack of nurturance during childhood trauma which then perpetuates as a lack of self-nurturance and compassion in the present. A lack of grief work which our self-importance doesn't allow us to feel. Instead of grieving and accepting things as they are, self-importance turns it into a black and white thing, taking offense at the "injustice of it all".

It reveals unacknowledged pain and a refusal to be vulnerable. It is among the least useful buffers if there is really such a thing as "useful buffer".

Esta es la tradución que me ha salido:

Creo que los celos son una combinación de miedo, dolor y rabia que florecen cuando te niegas a cuidarte durante el trauma infantil que luego se perpetúa como una falta de cuidado y compasión en el presente. Una falta de trabajo en el dolor que nuestra importancia personal no nos permite sentir. En lugar de pasar el duelo y aceptar las cosas como son, la importancia personal lo convierte en un asunto de blancos y negros, ofendida por la "injusticia de todo".

Esto revela que hay un dolor no reconocido y una negativa a ser vulnerable. Es uno de los topes menos útiles, si realmente existe tal cosa como "tope útil".

Es decir que los celos pueden desarrollarse cuando nos negamos a cuidarnos durante el trauma, es decir trabajar sobre nuestro dolor, pasar el duelo… y la culpable de esta negación es (para variar ;)) la maldita auto-importancia… ¿Es correcto?

No, the meaning here is "denegación de una falta de cuidados" during a traumatic situation when you were younger. That you didn't receive nurturing when you were younger and now, you deny/don't accept this fact. Does that make sense to you?

OrangeScorpion said:
Ok. I understand now. Thanks Don Genaro. ;)

Don't worry OrangeScorpion, the quote wasn't very clear to begin with. But Don Genaro explained it well.

In my opinion, the issue of jealousy is not that simple, and this text puts a bit too much blame on the "lack of nurturing" received. It is trying to intellectualize things and excuse some behaviour. It only defines a tiny portion of the problem, in my opinion, and depending on how you interpret it, it might actually be totally NOT helpful, if you use it to further excuse certain thoughts and behaviors, self-calm by stabbing somebody in the back while believing you are "nurturing yourself" (or not), instead of seeing the effect it has on others, and on your current life.

If you want to work on the issue of jealousy in your life (I'm assuming that is why you are interested), then maybe the best ting is to share concrete examples, so that you can get some direct feedback. :)

You might also want to read this thread.

Ailén said:
If you want to work on the issue of jealousy in your life (I'm assuming that is why you are interested), then maybe the best ting is to share concrete examples, so that you can get some direct feedback. :)

Thanks Ailén!

My interest in this text is no by jealousy, but by self-importance ... and how, according to the text, or rather my translation of the text, self importance prevents us from feeling the pain.

I will order my thoughts and write in the general forum, because by chance or not, I have found a relationship between self-importance and inability to remove the repressed rage and pain... Definitely need direct feedback...

Gracias Ailén!

Mi interés por este texto no es por los celos, sino por la auto-importancia… y cómo, según dice el texto, o más bien mi traducción del texto, la auto-importancia nos impide sentir el dolor.

Voy a ordenar mis pensamientos y a escribir en el foro general, porque de forma fortuita o no, he encontrado una relación entre la auto-importancia y la imposibilidad de sacar la rabia y el dolor reprimidos. Definitivamente, necesito retroalimentación…

Ailén said:
You might also want to read this thread.

since yesterday, I'm translating it slowly... I'm a little shocked by this thread, but, certainly, it being very instructive for me...

And I have a question here :-[ (I'm The Lord of the Doubts, I know) What does the abbreviation BS in this context?

Desde ayer, lo estoy traduciendo poco a poco. Estoy un poco impactado por este hilo, pero, sin duda, está siendo muy instructivo para mí.

Y tengo una duda aquí :-[ (soy El Señor de las Dudas, lo sé) ¿Qué significa la abreviatura BS en este contexto?

On the "no" side: The only people we observed who NEEDED "vacations from truth" turned out to be pathological. In other words, living around sincere people who don't BS you every minute was draining to them and affected their behavior quite negatively.

In my defense I will say that the abbreviation BS has over 100 meanings ... I can not find the correct. ;)

En mi defensa diré que la Abreviatura BS tiene más de 100 significados... No encuentro el correcto ;)

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/BS

OrangeScorpion said:
And I have a question here :-[ (I'm The Lord of the Doubts, I know) What does the abbreviation BS in this context?

It's colloquial, you can find the definition here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=BS

I know it is not the right place, but I want to make my contribution on the issue of jealousy or other emotions / behaviors. If I have learned, is to consider one word: context. Emotions and behavior come from a particular situation. We can generalize sometimes if we have seen a constant repetition in people on certain patterns, but does not mean it's always the same motivation that leads us to a certain behavior, because each situation is individual and unique.

Sé que no es el lugar adecuado, pero quisiera hacer mi aportación respecto al asunto de los celos u otras emociones/conductas. Si algo he aprendido, es a tener en cuenta una palabra: contexto. Las emociones y la conducta provienen de una situación en particular. Podemos generalizar a veces si hemos visto una repetición constante en la gente respecto a ciertos patrones, pero no significa que siempre sea la misma motivación la que nos lleve a un comportamiento concreto, porque cada situación es particular y única.

Back
Top Bottom