UltraMind Solution Quizzes

chachachick said:
Hi LoveAndLight,

LoveAndLight said:
The only thing I am worried about is that when I change my diet, I probably will lost weight and I am already skinny, but can the opposite happen? Maybe if I am stressing much less and eating right my body can gain weight, becasue its getting healthier....

I believe it is the case that your body, when becoming healthier gradually moves to a state that is natural for it. If one is overweight and begins a detox, one will slim down. If, on the other hand, if a poor diet and toxicity leads to underweight, the body move in the other direction toward a more "normal" weight. This was discussed a bit in the last podcast, Toxic World, Toxic bodies here:

http://www.sott.net/podcasts/listall
Thanks for the input, I was also thinking that but was somewhat unclear on it. Ill take a look at the podcast.

In reading this thread, I don't know but I am somewhat skeptical about the conditions listed and the supplements listed to counteract the symptoms. The solution is to take this supplement and that supplement and make dietary changes and hopefully your mental and physical wellbeing will be improved. This appears similar to the DSMV of psychiatric symptoms, it is a rather simplistic way of diagnosing the complexity of human behaviour and physical illness. Almost all of us would have a positive score when reading through the list of symptoms.

This list could also be masking other more serious conditions, that yes, would benefit from dietary changes but would require more significant medical interventions.

Don't get me wrong I do think that most of the physical conditions that we experience are the result of emotional, dietary and environmental impacts on our body. Again I am skeptical about the supplements to to counteract the symptoms, where is the research to back up the claims that these supplements are beneficial in the body and actually do what they are supposed to do. Could this be anecdotal experience from the users or a placebo effect. I apologize that I have not read the book, but I have explored his website and ideas. It just seems to me that he is just following the thought that many of us have, that it is the environment and our diet that is making us sick. I think the effect he is producing is a "Feel Good" factor, that by popping a pill and making changes in our diet and lifstyle that this in turn will impact our mental function and therfore change our lives in a positive way, which is something we all want to do but with minimal effort. In the long term this no longer becomes effective, we abandon them because they are no longer convenient for our busy lifestyles but you have bought the book and that is all that matters to the good doctor.

Yes I do believe that dietary changes can and do make a difference in our mental function, physical wellbeing and immune system, but just making simple changes in our diet can produce some of these changes, for example buying orgnic produce from local producers where you have the opportunity to ask how and where they grow there produce and also not eating produced foods that are laced with chemicals aand additives would make a significant difference.

I think this is why some of the children mentioned on the website have had dramatic improvements in there health and mental wellbeing, because of the response to dietary changes.

I'm sure our resident physicians will chime in with their knowledge, but, in the meantime, perhaps it would be wise to actually read the book before discounting the information?

Dietary changes are of utmost importance, but not always enough due to the great amount of toxicity in our world nowadays and also due to nutritionally impoverished foods in general due to "mass production" and "forced agriculture". You'll find lots of information in this health forum and the books recommended, but also elsewhere. We always encourage people to do their own research and reading in order to understand the whys, the hows, etc. Learning is fun and also sharing and networking. :)

Yes anart I agree is was presumptive of me to make that post without reading the book, I know that there are members on the forum that have far more knowledge the me, also it was not my intention to draw away form the fact that detoxing our bodies is really important to our mind/body function.

I just wanted to point out some flaws that I observed. :-[

Joan said:
Yes anart I agree is was presumptive of me to make that post without reading the book, I know that there are members on the forum that have far more knowledge the me, also it was not my intention to draw away form the fact that detoxing our bodies is really important to our mind/body function.

I just wanted to point out some flaws that I observed. :-[

Can you point out any "flaws" that you "observed"? That is, specifically identify a flaw and describe your observation of it? Otherwise, it just sounds like a "belief" based on propaganda.

Hi Joan,

I have suffered from many health issues for many years now and just doing as the doctors suggested did nothing for me except make my conditions worse and adding to them.

After reading and looking at different things in this section I started in with various things that I thought would work for me. I have (and am still) detoxing by watching the foods I eat, using various foods/supplements that help in detoxing and adding support to my whole system while correcting other factors, and the FAR infrared sauna blanket. Also, I have been attacking the candida along with quitting the foods (if you can call them that) that are harmful to eat.

A few months ago, if you were to touch me anywhere with just a slight bit of force, it would have felt like someone was sticking a red hot knife in me. Now after several months of doing what I am doing, I have found that I really have to apply quite a bit of force to feel even half the level of pain I felt before. In some places there is no pain at all now. This in itself is quite miraculous I think.

And, yes, these things take time. They are not a pill that one takes and whalla! you feel somewhat better. They actually help to correct the problem, not cover it up while it gets worse.

fwiw

Laura I hope you will excuse the delay in posting a reply to your question on observations I had made regarding this subject. I have been sick for the past week, have been at work for the last 2 days and it has left me more tired than usual at the end of the day. I thank you for the opportunity to clarify the post I made. I want to also make it clear that it was not my intention to create propaganda

I want to make it clear that I do believe that the food we eat, and environment that we live in is making us sick and that detoxification of the body from these contaminants is really important, and yes taking supplements are important, I take several myself. I also think that there is a psychosocial aspect involved that is not addressed in the list (and it was my observation of the list that prompted me to make the post). It gives no indication how increased stresses in family and interpersonal relationships, in our working life and the massive amount of sensory stimulus from all the modern technologies that have been created, may also be impacting our immune system and altering the neurochemical balance in the body. I freely admit that I have not read the book and for that reason I can be duly criticized. If a check list is created I think that these factors should also be included to give a more complete and accurate picture and also why he thinks the indicators he has given lead him to the conclusion that it was caused by the specific supplements that he is suggesting. As I stated I have not read the book and some of these issues may have been addressed in the book.

Take for the example the indicators for Vit D deficiency Depression and Dementia which gives the indication of targeting 60+yr old and the use of Vitamin D3 to assist in these conditions the list is as follows:

Have a family history of seasonal affective disorder

Although there may be family indicators for SAD, during the winter months there is less opportunity for social interaction because of changes in the weather, daylight hours are reduced and there are some significant Holidays Thanksgiving, Remembrance day, Christmas, maybe they are unable to share these occasions with other family and friends there may be a loss of a loved one around this time of year, they may no longer be living close to there family.

I have experienced a loss of mental sharpness or memory

This may be caused by medications or drug interactions, (there is strong evidence to suggest that taking Statin medications to lower cholesterol can cause severe memory impairment resulting in loss of cognitive function) they may have an undiagnosed medical condition such as hypertension or diabetes., or there may be an indicator of some infection going on, not all infections have a high fever as an indicator.

I have sore or weak muscles

Again this could be an indicator of electrolyte balance or an indicator of a drug interaction ( some studies have shown that Statin drugs interfere with Q10 enzyme production causing muscle weakness)

I have tender or weak bones (Press shin bones)

The shin bone or tibia is close to the surface and yes pressing on it will cause discomfort and even some pain depending on how hard you press even in a healthy individual.

I work indoors

Unless you have an occupation that requires that you work outside, then I think it is safe to say that most people who work indoors could be lacking in Vitiamin D.

I work outdoors

Because of the increased incidence of skin cancer I do think that more people are covering up when outdoors and in a 60yr old they may have already had cause for concern

I wear sunblock most of the time

For the reason stated above and it is also recommended that wearing sunblock will protect against skin cancer.

I avoid the sun

Again for the increased awareness of the risk of skin cancer, I think that some individuals would avoid exposure to the sun.

I live north of Florida
I don't eat small fatty fish (mackerel, sardines etc)
I have a family history of osteoporosis
I have broken more that 2 bones or had a hip fracture

Although Vitamin D enhances the absorption of calcium taking it alone is not advisable to assist in the prevention of fractures and taking Calcium/magnesium/vitD is more effective.

I have a family history of autoimmune disease (Multiple Sclerosis)

I could continue with adding more to the list but I think that this gives and example that there are many more factors involved when looking at the list and the taking of Vitamin D as a supplement to assist with these symptoms. I think it is misleading and may not be addressing other more serious contributing factors, I should have pointed out that I think when looking at lists that I think that they cannot be taken at face value and when taking supplements of any kind that we as individuals have to do our own research and find out what works best for us on an individual basis from the indicators given by our own bodies. I know I gave examples of Statin drugs (they are cholesterol lowering medication) and looking at this it may show some bias but in my experience there is a large portion of the population that are taking these medications, the side effects are an area on controversy, they do occur but is not well documented in the medical literature or media.

I do have a background in healthcare. I have been a registered nurse for 35years and have worked in many areas of nursing practise in those years. I have developed a body of knowledge through my own research and observations. I currently work in Residential care and have done so for the past 13yrs,
an area of practise I love, and this is probably why I chose this particular section of the quiz because I do have direct knowledge of Dementia and Depression in the 60+ age group and it is not as simple as just taking Vitamin D. In this area of practise we have to be the eyes and ears in assisting the physician to effectively treat the seniors in our care, we have to be detectives in trying to identify why changes in behaviour are occurring, this maybe due to dietary intake, medications, environmental factors (Laundry detergents, cleaning solutions to clean the area where they live and also the products that are used on there bodies) also interactions with family members, other residents with whom they share there living space with. This is what lead me to believe that there may be misleading information in the lists.
So I hope this gives some explanation of why I made the previous post and why I thought that some of the infomation is not correct.

The attachment zip file contains 2 Word documents that were simply made by editing the 1st post of Psyche. The file ends with _wsb has edited so that each quiz takes a page. Please use it if you find useful also. :)

Attachments

• UltraMindSolutionQuizzes.zip
    40 KB · Views: 16
I have just taken my Quizz online at Dr. Hyman's website. It seems there are a lot of unbalanced areas...not much of a surprise really, years and years of extremely poor diet, combined with stress, I think most of us are or have been through that at some point.
The highlighted results are the ones where unbalances are shown. He recommends a few products but I find them to be a pit pricey for my budget at the moment. So I included those in an order yet to be made at Iherbs.com (suggested by oxajil in another thread). Here is what I have on my basket: multivitamins complex, Zinc, Gaba, an amino acid complex, probiotics, burdock root, B complex vitamins, vitamin D, co Q10. Probably more then the questionnaire suggests, but basically a compilation of mine from the bits and pieces read here and there. Would these pretty much cover all (or is it actually too much :/)?

I am already taking magnesium and fish oil.
My problem is with Thyroid, the test shows quite an unbalance there, and my mother has suffered with hyperthyroid for years. I don't really know what i could order to help with that.
It seems there is is toxicity involved (not a surprise, of course) time for further search in the threads where toxicity is addressed. In the meantime, any insights appreciated.

Quiz Score
Fatty Acids Quiz 4
Dopamine Quiz 1
Serotonin Quiz 5
GABA Quiz 5
Acetylcholine Quiz 2
Methylation Quiz 6
Vitamin D Quiz 5
Magnesium Quiz 9
Zinc Quiz 6
Insulin Quiz 4
Thyroid Quiz 9
Sexual Hormones Quiz 7
Inflammation Quiz 5
Gut Quiz 6
Toxins Quiz 9
Loss of Energy Quiz 5
Oxidative Stress Quiz 4
Adrenal Dysfunction Quiz 5

Thanks in advance

Gertrudes said:
I have on my basket: multivitamins complex, Zinc, Gaba, an amino acid complex, probiotics, burdock root, B complex vitamins, vitamin D, co Q10.

If you want to economize, then maybe you can take care of some imbalances first and be very good with your diet and then see how it goes. For example, you can get 5 HTP instead of GABA. If the 5 HTP doesn't do the trick after a month or two, you can get the GABA. According to Rodger Murphree (author of "Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), GABA is hardly necessary when you take care of the 5 HTP imbalance first. The 5 HTP dose is usually 300mg/day (some need more, others less). Here is a rough guide of the 5HTP, FWIW:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.msg102298#msg102298

Check the multivitamin out, if you get a good one ("multi-potent"), it might have a very good dose of zinc, making an additional zinc supplement unnecessary. Same with the Vitamin D, although if you can get the vitamin D separately, that will be great. It will be handy to have vitamin B and C separately though, to have it on top of the multivitamin.

As for the probiotics, here is an interesting quote by Dr. Stephen Edelson, from "What your doctor may not tell you about autoimmune disorders":

Certain probiotics are not effective because they are killed by the stomach acid and/or the alkalinity of the small intestine before they reach the colon. The only two that get through to the colon are Lactobacillus gg and Lactobacillus plantarum. Lactobacillus acidophillus is effective if given as an enema, because then it does not have to get past the stomach acid or alkalinity of the small intestine.

Nowadays, there may be better probiotics that can repopulate our colons, but if you can only get lactobacillus acidophillus, the idea of a probiotic retention enema is not a bad one.

And if you can afford getting another antioxidant to help you with your toxicity problems, NAC (N-acetylcysteine) will be ideal. NAC is used to improve the immune system and thyroid function (among many other things).

Thanks Psyche that was very, very helpful.
I have been building this list for days, good that I hadn't ordered anything yet.

Just a quick question about probiotics: I found a product consisting of only Lactobacillus gg, would this be a good one or should I look for the enema solution including more diversity of Lactobacillus?

Gertrudes said:
Just a quick question about probiotics: I found a product consisting of only Lactobacillus gg, would this be a good one or should I look for the enema solution including more diversity of Lactobacillus?
Lactobacillus gg will be fine. If you want to consider enemas, here is a blog with some info:

_http://coffee-enemas.blogspot.com/

There is a lot of interesting info in the web. It has done wonderful things to my system.

Hiromi Shinya recommends coffee enemas, he is the author of "The Enzyme Factor" and has examined the colons of over 300,000 patients, so he must have an idea of what he is talking about ;)

Psyche said:
_http://coffee-enemas.blogspot.com/

There is a lot of interesting info in the web. It has done wonderful things to my system.

Hiromi Shinya recommends coffee enemas, he is the author of "The Enzyme Factor" and has examined the colons of over 300,000 patients, so he must have an idea of what he is talking about ;)

Thanks for the link, it does explain it clearer then a few websites I came across yesterday. I'm ordering an enema kit, from what I found they are not expensive and well worth buying since you can use them again and again...let's see how it goes. :lol:

Curiously, I got Shinya's book last week. I am finishing some other reading so hopefully will start with "The Enzyme Factor" soon.

Psyche said:
As for the probiotics, here is an interesting quote by Dr. Stephen Edelson, from "What your doctor may not tell you about autoimmune disorders":

Certain probiotics are not effective because they are killed by the stomach acid and/or the alkalinity of the small intestine before they reach the colon. The only two that get through to the colon are Lactobacillus gg and Lactobacillus plantarum. Lactobacillus acidophillus is effective if given as an enema, because then it does not have to get past the stomach acid or alkalinity of the small intestine.

Nowadays, there may be better probiotics that can repopulate our colons, but if you can only get lactobacillus acidophillus, the idea of a probiotic retention enema is not a bad one.

After reading the above, i happened to be at my pharmacist yesterday, and we were both going through all the probiotic formulas he had there (lots!) trying to find which ones contained Lactobacillus gg and Lactobacillus plantarum. Most of the probiotics in the market include millions of strands of these bacillus cultures and not all of them were named on the package. We didn't see the above two written on any of those we were checking. So my question is, is it better to get a specific probiotic which contains either or both, or could it be that the millions of cultures contain bacillus that can survive the acidity of the stomach and arrive intact to their destination? Is that what you mean Psyche, by saying: "Nowadays, there may be better probiotics that can repopulate our colons"?

Back
Top Bottom