UltraMind Solution Quizzes

I was thinking about enteric coated probiotics (any species) that are supposed to arrive better into our guts because it "survives" the passage through the stomach. A probiotic should also have at least 1 billion bacteria per serving, ideally.

Psyche said:
The 5 HTP dose is usually 300mg/day (some need more, others less). Here is a rough guide of the 5HTP, FWIW:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.msg102298#msg102298

Hi Psyche,

Is there really a contraindication to take 5 HTP and vitamin B6 simultaneously?

I read that it is not recommended but i am not sure of the quality of the article:

_http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=242971

And i am taking vitamin B6 because it is recommended to help people having problem because of using a computer (mouse).

Bohort said:
Is there really a contraindication to take 5 HTP and vitamin B6 simultaneously?

I read that it is not recommended but i am not sure of the quality of the article:

_http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=242971

And i am taking vitamin B6 because it is recommended to help people having problem because of using a computer (mouse).

I'm familiarized with that information and don't consider it accurate.

I've read several books where practitioners use 5HTP plus B6 (among other B vitamins) in thousands of thousands of thousands of patients. There is no report of such problem happening. Other problems (like headaches, nausea) might occur if someone decides to take high doses of serotonin at once, and not gradually. A serotonin syndrome (which does not include heart damage) might occur when someone is taking an anti-depressant, specially a MAO inhibitor and decides to take 5THP without the guidance of a doctor. One should never take a MAO inhibitor and 5 HTP without guidance.

Finally, I decided to read an entire book on 5 HTP and although I haven't done a research of the latest published articles, several things became clear. The short story is that there might be (and there has been) potential problems when artificial drugs are used, drugs which try to mimic 5 HTP levels in a synthetic way. These synthetic drugs are different from the natural 5 HTP you get as a supplement. The chemical pathways are different and they try to mimic 5 HTP in artificial and/or increase it in indirect ways. As far as I know, those drugs were removed from the market.

Scientists have been unable to induce valve disease in some experimental models by injecting them with high doses of serotonin in a daily basis. So the danger from serotonin-producing tumors might not come from the serotonin itself, but from increased levels of other substances the tumors produce including inflammatory factors like kinins which can lead to tissue breakdown and damage of heart valves.

The problem of having "serotonin" converted in the liver is another issue. You want your serotonin converted in your brain, and not in your liver. But this is an issue when one tries to supply serotonin levels with tryptophan, instead of 5 HTP. Here is the chemical pathway as a reminder: http://www.understand-andcure-anxietyattacks-panicattacks-depression.com/images/5-htp-Serotonin.jpg 5 HTP is one step closer to be serotonin and notice it needs B6 in order to get converted into serotonin.

L-tryptophan increase the conversion of tryptophan into kynurenine in the liver (and thus prevent its conversion to serotonin). The amount of tryptophan taken by diet, does not pose a risk though. Stress can increase its rate of conversion because it reduces the supply of tryptophan hydrolase needed to convert into 5HTP. Also low levels of B vitamins, specially niacin and B6, low magnesium, insensitivity to insulin, and genetic deficiencies.

In addition, 5 HTP is better because it is more lipid soluble than tryptophan, so it crosses the fatty bi-layer brain barrier easier. In rare cases, L-tryptophan might work better than 5 HTP for some people though.

I think that for the most part, Big Pharma will love to see 5 HTP buried. It will render most of Big Pharma's artificial drugs unnecessary. That they are trying to blame natural serotonin for heart valve damage is upsetting, when its actually THEIR drugs that have done the damage.

Hope this was clear, I'm having brain fog and I'm blaming it on the mercury detox ;)

Lets see if there is more research available now or in the future.

Psyche said:
Hope this was clear, I'm having brain fog and I'm blaming it on the mercury detox ;)

Lets see if there is more research available now or in the future.

Thank you very much and yes it was clear. :thup: :flowers:

Psyche said:
I was thinking about enteric coated probiotics (any species) that are supposed to arrive better into our guts because it "survives" the passage through the stomach. A probiotic should also have at least 1 billion bacteria per serving, ideally.

Ah, ok, now it's clear. Thank you muchly! :)

I just started reading the book, The Ultramind Solution. My results on the quiz seem very bad, I took the one available at _http://www.ultramind.com/guide_signup.php . Haven't compared it to the one in the book yet, but I figured chances are it would be more updated and the PDF is an easier form to go through.

Going through the quiz and trying to answer as honestly as possible was hard and felt very tiring. I turned away from it several times while doing it and found I had much more energy to do just about anything else. I would sit back down at the computer, and almost immediately I would feel tired again, almost dreading to go through it. I think it took me 4 "tries" to get through it all :lol: Even worse, is that I am not familiar with my family's medical history, so chances are my scores are even higher. I am however familiar with my health history, which includes *numerous* strep throat infections (for a while as a child I had them 2-3 times a year), and then one mono which lead to a tonsillectomy (both tonsils). Of course various forms of antibiotics were used every time to treat these infections.

Fatty acid:
Dopamine:
Seratonin:
GABA:
Acetlycholine
Methylation:
Vitamin D:
Magnesium:
Zinc:
Insulin:
Thyroid:
Sexual homones (men):
Inflammation:
Gut:
Toxins:
Loss of energy:
Oxidative:
Adrenal Dystunction:

So it seems I have a lot of work to do, to get my health back on track. But learning more about nutrition and how it has, very probably, seriously impacted my life throughout is very relieving. It simultaneously provides an alternative and guidebook for change, and also vindicates deep thoughts and feelings of there being something very wrong with me.

Current diet: I drink filtered water and have been doing the organic food thing for several years. Tried my best to be a vegan for about one year (stopped 2.5 years ago). I'm pretty good at avoiding fast food and soda's, eat almost no corn syrup. Have always been a big dairy fan and have a sweet tooth; which these days I will placate with sugary teas, fruit, and more often than I'd care for, sweets (almost always natural candy). For the past couple of months I have been taken probiotics regularly, 2-4 times a week.

I also have used the zapper and did some parasitic cleansing as recommended by Hulda Clark, to great effect.

With all of that said, does anyone have any advice for me, as I go through the book and related material? My big complaints are, in order: inability to focus, fatigue, and anxiety.

Aaron said:
I drink filtered water and have been doing the organic food thing for several years. Tried my best to be a vegan for about one year (stopped 2.5 years ago). I'm pretty good at avoiding fast food and soda's, eat almost no corn syrup.

Read labels carefully, so you can avoid it completely. That stuff is pure evil, even small amounts is enough to create havoc.

Have always been a big dairy fan and have a sweet tooth; which these days I will placate with sugary teas, fruit, and more often than I'd care for, sweets (almost always natural candy). For the past couple of months I have been taken probiotics regularly, 2-4 times a week.

Yeap, you'll have to cut that sugar and the dairy. Remember that what you eat is of utmost importance and that supplements are like "helpers". Dairy can sure increase your anxiety levels and brain fog, among others. It will benefit you the most to do the UltraSimple diet in order to discover potential hidden allergies that are making you anxious, etc.:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.0

You have several imbalances, but if you do the diet and take basic supplementation, you will start to feel much better. For example, you can take a good multivitamin, probiotic, magnesium, multienzymes, omega 3s, B complex and vitamin C every day. In addition to that, you can take alpha lipoic acid 100mg twice per day and, 5 HTP (around 300mg per day, see here), and a berry shake in the morning with rice protein (amino acids) and flaxseed oil and flaxseeds. Then see how it goes.

There is potential for more, according to the quiz results, you could take phosphatidylcholine, GABA, L-tyrosine, etc. But doing the diet and taking care first of some imbalances will make a good start while you research and experiment what works for you. That will be my 2 cents. It is easier to explain or recommend things in a more individual health questionnaire/plan, but ideally its best to always research and experiment what works for you. :)

Thank you Psyche for the helpful advice.

Reading what little I did, I ended up buying some GABA earlier today, and took one straight-away (750mg Source Naturals brand). Based on the past 12 hours or so, it seems to have helped a lot. I don't feel so tightly wound up, and did more, and more productive, reading last night than I think I have done in a long time.

It looks like I have several areas on the quiz that I need to focus, and give due attention to. I definitely need to cut the junk out ASAP. A more healthful diet will need to start right away too, but eventually will probably take time to fully get there.

As far as supplements or helpers go, I am thinking I need to focus on neurotransmitters and my gut first; until I can finish the book/learn more. Neurotransmitters because I need it for my job immediately and to increase my capacity for learning/remembering as I continue to go through the UM book. My gut because I have [had] a lot of symptoms or events (heavy antibiotic use) that all point to the same place.

Psyche said:
... you can take a good multivitamin, probiotic, magnesium, multienzymes, omega 3s, B complex and vitamin C every day. In addition to that, you can take alpha lipoic acid 100mg twice per day and, 5 HTP (around 300mg per day) and a berry shake in the morning with rice protein (amino acids) and flaxseed oil and flaxseeds. Then see how it goes.

There is potential for more, according to the quiz results, you could take phosphatidylcholine, GABA, L-tyrosine, etc. But doing the diet and taking care first of some imbalances will make a good start while you research and experiment what works for you. That will be my 2 cents.

Thanks for specifics. I have sporadically taken multi-vitamins and VitC, but will do so more regularly now. B complex I will check my multi- for, if not will add that straight away. The magnesium and multi-enyzmes I will want to read more about before I feel comfortable taking. I started eating sardines recently, which are surprisingly tasty! Berry's with a rice base sounds like it could also be delicious. :)

Hi Psyche,

Here are my results:

Fatty Acids - 5
Dopamine - 2
Seratonin - 5
Gaba - 2
Acetycholine - 4
Methylation - 7
Vitamin D - 3
Magnesium - 5
Zinc - 1
Insulin - 5
Thyroid - 5
Sex Hormones Women - 5
Inflammation - 3
Gut -3
Toxins - 10
Energy Loss - 1
Oxidative Stress - 6
Adrenal Dysfunction - 2

truth seeker said:
Hi Psyche,

Here are my results:

The basic plan is usually a multivitamin, magnesium, Omega 3s, B complex, vitamin C, multi-enzymes, and probiotics. Well, also vitamin D, but that depends on your multivitamin and your personal needs.

Then, I will add 5 HTP 300mg per day (some need more, others less, here is the guide) to help you out with the serotonin imbalance. I will also have some flaxseed oil, 1 TBSP twice a day.

You can have a shake with rice protein (amino acids), and put the flaxseed oil and the vitamin C in the shake as well.

For the severe toxicity: N-acetylcysteine or NAC, 500 mg twice a day. Buffered ascorbic acid, what your digestive system can handle. Milk thistle 140mg twice a day. FIR sauna (if you can get one).

I will wait 2 weeks after starting the 5 HTP, before starting the phospholipids that will help you balancing your acetylcholine and fatty acid imbalance. Phospholipids you can take: GPC (glycerophophocholine) or CDP-choline, 1200mg three times a day with meals for two months, after two months reduce to 400mg three times a day with meals. This one, you don't have to take it in a long-term basis. It will depend on how you do. In case of doubt, you can redo the quiz as a guide.

This plan is pretty much from the Ultra Mind Solution, hope it helps.

Apparently Dr. Hyman put the quiz online, and will offer you supplement solutions based on your answers.

_http://store.ultramind.com/Quiz

Aaron said:
Apparently Dr. Hyman put the quiz online, and will offer you supplement solutions based on your answers.

_http://store.ultramind.com/Quiz

I thought I'd take it to see how things are doing (I've still yet to go through the book fully).
I'm pretty shocked at how they turned out! Geez....

Fatty Acids Quiz 6
Dopamine Quiz 5
Serotonin Quiz 7
GABA Quiz 7
Acetylcholine Quiz 5
Methylation Quiz 10
Vitamin D Quiz 5
Magnesium Quiz 13
Zinc Quiz 8
Insulin Quiz 9
Thyroid Quiz 13
Sexual Hormones Quiz 9
Inflammation Quiz 10
Gut Quiz 13
Toxins Quiz 8
Loss of Energy Quiz 16
Oxidative Stress Quiz 6
Adrenal Dysfunction Quiz 16

:O

RedFox said:
I thought I'd take it to see how things are doing (I've still yet to go through the book fully).
I'm pretty shocked at how they turned out! Geez....

Wow, let me know if you have trouble sorting out the supplements. Hope your doing well on the diet. The elimination diet (Ultra Simple diet) should help you eliminating food allergens that might be triggering your immune system.

I just came across this topic today, and I am still reading through it, but I am hoping that it may help me continue to sort things out and figure out what to do. There is only one part of the quiz that I can directly test -- adrenal dysfunction -- but it is on target for me for that one. I know what that problem is: I don't produce enough pregnenolone, and that throws my other adrenal hormones off.

It appears to be a congenital condition, but I was 54 years old when it was finally diagnosed. I worked with a doctor (a D.O.) for a while, taking a prenenolone supplement, but it just made things worse and I ended up with cancer (no way to tell for sure if it was related to the supplement). I think I was exposed prenatally to endocrine disruptor DES (diethylstilbestrol) but I can't be sure because I learned about it too late in life. Many of my issues are similar to those of other people who know they were exposed.

Many of my other quiz scores were also poor, but I have had most of the symptoms most of my life and they are not that much worse now than they were in the past. Hopefully that means I have time to explore and try things, and that is what I am doing, but where to focus next?

Back
Top Bottom