UltraMind Solution Quizzes

Laura said:
RedFox said:
I've been having rice/millet flake pourridge for breakfast everyday for months now! Its a relief to know what it is, because the symptoms Laura mentions above have been getting worse and worse in me over the last few weeks. Whats worse is the packet says 'gluten free' on it!
Now I wonder what to have for breakfast as the detox shake leaves me hungry after a few hours (despite having a load of flax/rice powder in for bulk).

What about the buckwheat pancakes? I make them ALMOST every morning. Wait until you see the cool pan I got to cook them in on the video! They are about as fast and easy as pouring cereal and milk in a bowl. And if you can eat eggs, you can have that, or you can have them with a great breakfast sausage (video coming) or bacon or ham.
Thanks Laura, had completely forgotten about the buckwheat pancakes. Doh.
Need to practice cooking these before I attempt them for breakfast...takes me far to long to cook them at the moment....having an electric hob that takes ages to heat up/cool down doesn't help heat/timing wise.
I'm looking forward to the cooking videos! Thank you for taking the time and effort to make them :flowers:

RedFox said:
Laura said:
RedFox said:
I've been having rice/millet flake pourridge for breakfast everyday for months now! Its a relief to know what it is, because the symptoms Laura mentions above have been getting worse and worse in me over the last few weeks. Whats worse is the packet says 'gluten free' on it!
Now I wonder what to have for breakfast as the detox shake leaves me hungry after a few hours (despite having a load of flax/rice powder in for bulk).

What about the buckwheat pancakes? I make them ALMOST every morning. Wait until you see the cool pan I got to cook them in on the video! They are about as fast and easy as pouring cereal and milk in a bowl. And if you can eat eggs, you can have that, or you can have them with a great breakfast sausage (video coming) or bacon or ham.
Thanks Laura, had completely forgotten about the buckwheat pancakes. Doh.
Need to practice cooking these before I attempt them for breakfast...takes me far to long to cook them at the moment....having an electric hob that takes ages to heat up/cool down doesn't help heat/timing wise.
I'm looking forward to the cooking videos! Thank you for taking the time and effort to make them :flowers:

I had similar problem with hunger. What I usually did is to fill my crepes with mixture of berrys. Unfortunately, if I take my breakfast at 7:30 it will hold me just until noon. So I came up with millet fillings for buckwheat pancakes/crepes. When I wake up I cook 5-10 tbsp millet in water sweetened with stevia. It takes cca 15-20min. to cook millet. In the meantime I made buckwheat crepes and nuke my berrys. Then I mix berrys with cooked millet and put the mixture on crepes, roll couple of them, usually 3-4 and voila.
This recipe holds me sometimes till 3 or 4 pm. and it is even more tasteful then berrys alone! And I'm done with my breakfast in 30min. At first it was time consuming, finding right formula for batch, find right temperature, but it was worth an effort.
Sometimes when I'm fed up with crepes I cook millet only, put some berrys in, add rice milk and sweet with stevia or xylitol.
It's fast, tasteful and it holds me up.

Hi Psyche, I know things have been tough with you there at the Chateu so please take all the time you need to answer.

I just want to shortly go back to talk about my friend and her problems. After discussing her results with her and doing some more reading I've surprised of her high score on the insulin quiz. She scored 16, where the limit for "Medical Care" is 13! Now this wouldn't be so surprising if it wasn't for the fact that she hardly never eats anything sweet like candy, pastry, soda. Here's how she describes her diet:

"I eat vegetables, fruit, dark bread and drink enough (water) every day. I never drink sodas, eat pastry or fast food e.g. hamburgers. I eat some candy maybe once a month. I drink one cup of espresso per day with a little bit of milk and I drink herbal tea every day. I don't have any addictions."

Okay so there's 'dark bread' and 'milk' (ca 10ml), but in my laymans opinion this doesn't really explain her high score on the insulin quiz. Now the next highest scores that she got was on the Thyroid Quiz(13, limit 12), Toxins Quiz(11, limit 10) and Serotonin Quiz(10, limit 8).

Any thoughts? She's pretty shocked by the results (because she thinks she eats healthy) and this makes her quite "defensive" and sceptical. A good sign though is that she would like to read Hyman's book. Thanks for the help.

Added: I got the impression that she doesn't eat that much protein, could that have something to do with it. I'm wondering also if a thyroid problem could increase the insulin levels?

Hi Aragorn,

Some of the questions asked for the insulin section are also symptoms that can apply for example to mood problems due to food allergies or other imbalances in the brain chemistry. So unfortunately it is not a clear cut guide. Also, some people that are clearly inflamed, may score very low in the inflammation quiz...

I think the questionnaire can be useful as a guide, but it doesn't substitute the need for research and personalized care. So I'm glad that she wants to read the book by herself, she will really benefit by doing so.

FWIW, if I could choose a questionnaire to give someone in order to get a glimpse of his or her health status, I've rather use a modified version of the following questionnaire: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13258.0 Even though the UltraMind quizzes are so extended, I still find it misses some crucial information, specially if people return back only the quiz results without including which were the positive answers.

Thnx Psyche, I'll look into that. I guess it's the other way around too(as Hyman stresses the body->mind connection); stress and worries can make ones health decline even if one is eating healthy. My friend has certainly been through some rough times recently.

It is interesting to notice how "breaking free" from the unhealthy and media promoted eating habits makes it easier to avoid harmful foods. After two weeks on the "Ultramind diet" I sense more clearly the negativity of certain foods. I'm certain that the main stream diet is "designed" to keep ones frequency level low, thus making it impossible to break free. The more I learn about diet and health, the more interesting it gets. I look forward to read all the other recommended health books!

Just wanted to say quickly (regarding millet in gluten free pourage), that I switched to just rice flakes for pourage and am feeling a lot better. I hadn't noticed it but I'm actually feeling lighter/not as heavy after eating.
I was unable to find any buckwheat flour at the weekend, but did get some buckwheat flakes. I blended some up and have been practicing making the pancakes :) They are better than I remember and quicker to make once you get going. They also taste better than I remember! lol
I also tried adding some buckwheat flakes to the rice flakes for pourage this mourning......slightly odd taste but felt really good after eating it :)
Definitely need to eat more buckwheat for breakfast! Oh, and I really enjoyed the new cooking video Laura, showed it to my parents too. :flowers:

Hi Psyche,
I’m putting together a supplement program for my mother (78 y/o) to balance things for her, detox, reduce inflammation, improve mental performance, and aid in recovering as much nerve functions as possible. She has difficulty with balance and leg control (ataxia), suffered a broken hip 2 years ago due to fall, and has claudication, and peripheral vascular probs with circulation to the legs/feet (measured by MRA). A recent sonogram indicates that circulation may be improving. In general, her diet has been good over the last few years, and over the last 3 weeks she has been doing a detox/ultra/healing type diet with elimination of all dairy, gluten, meat, caffiene. During this time we have been doing a colon cleanse, kidney cleanse, and herbal calcium removal cleanse to try to remove bad calcium deposits that may be inhibiting circulation through the legs.

Based on the web-supplement to the Ultra-Mind Solution, I’m putting together a schedule of supplements for her ( I have the book but have not read it yet – just the web-supplement) and I was hoping to get your comments. Her scores on the quizzes are:

Fatty Acids - 2
Dopamine - 2
Seratonin - 1
Gaba - 3
Acetycholine - 3
Methylation - 6
Vitamin D - 5
Magnesium - 3
Zinc - 3
Insulin - 2
Thyroid - 5
Sex Hormones Women – N/A (not answered)
Inflammation - 2
Gut -4
Toxins - 2
Energy Loss - 4
Oxidative Stress - 7
Adrenal Dysfunction – 0

What I have so far based on Hyman’s web-supplement to his book is:

A good multi-V with minerals
A good B-complex
Enteric probiotics
Vit D3/more sunshine
Magnesium malate (for both Mg and malic acid)
Phosphatidyl choline/serine
5-HTP
GABA/Theanine
L Tryosine
d/l phenylalanine
chromepolynicotanate
good digestive enzyme blend at all meals (doing now)
Tumeric/Quercetin
Glutathione
NAC for detox
ALC and ALCAR (for energy and detox)
NADH (for energy)
buffered ascorbates (been taking for some time)
milk thistle
CoQ10
HCL at meals
Melatonin/B12 sublingual at bedtime (been taking for some time)

I have provisionally added:

DHEA (for age)
DMAE (for age)
Serra/Natto enzyme blend to work undigested food and inflammation (been taking for some time)
Quality Omega 3 oil and cod liver oil (been taking for some time)

Any comments you might have would be well-received here.
Thanks Psyche

Hello!

Her UltraMind quizzes are quite good, with only moderate GABA and acetylcholine imbalances. The other ones are okay according to these quizzes, which then are only a rough guide. I'm happy to see that she has eliminated the problematic foods from her diet, and I'm sure that that alone will make a profound difference in her well being.

So as for supplementation, the basic one is a very good idea:

A good multi-V with minerals
A good B-complex
Enteric probiotics
Vit D3/more sunshine
Magnesium malate (for both Mg and malic acid)
good digestive enzyme blend at all meals (doing now)
buffered ascorbates (been taking for some time)
Quality Omega 3 oil and cod liver oil (been taking for some time)

In addition to that, if she needs help sleeping, she might find the 5 HTP more useful, so you could try changing the melatonin with the 5 HTP as a sleep aider (around 300-400mg per day, starting with a low dose and increasing progressively, here is a guide FWIW). But if she still needs the melatonin, that is fine. The 5 HTP might stabilize also her “GABA imbalance.” Although if it doesn't, she can take GABA as well, around 1000mg per day, 500mg before dinner and before bedtime.

For the acetylcholine imbalance there is:

ALC and ALCAR (for energy and detox) (helps also with acetylcholine imbalance)
Phosphatidyl choline/serine
DMAE

Although with the first two, it might be enough. There is a guide for dosing the phosphatidyl choline in the book, it is usually a much higher dose than the one suggested in the label. The phosphatidylcholine also helps providing healthy fatty acids to heal the fatty bi-layer in the membranes.

So basic supplementation, plus some additional supplementation to help with her sleeping and her moderate GABA and acetylcholine imbalance. The diet and the basic supplementation also will help her with her cardiovascular condition and with her energy levels, but adding the following will also help:

Serra/Natto enzyme blend to work undigested food and inflammation (been taking for some time)
CoQ10 [Psyche: preferably in ubiquinol form]

It is also better to add first the "relaxing" supplements: 5 HTP and/or GABA and only after a couple of weeks which allows for some balancing, the "stimulating" ones (acetylcholine) can be added.

The rest can be added as well, for example the NAC and the milk thistle are good ones for detoxing, in addition, the milk thistle will protect her liver, so that can be considered as well. Also the DHEA. But I will try staying in a very good diet and having some good quality basic supplementation first to see how it goes, then adding other supplements as needed. It can be bothersome to have a long list of supplements, but sometimes, for a period of time, it is necessary.

My 2 cents

Thanks Much Psyche,

Psyche said:
The rest can be added as well, for example the NAC and the milk thistle are good ones for detoxing, in addition, the milk thistle will protect her liver, so that can be considered as well. Also the DHEA. But I will try staying in a very good diet and having some good quality basic supplementation first to see how it goes, then adding other supplements as needed. It can be bothersome to have a long list of supplements, but sometimes, for a period of time, it is necessary.

My 2 cents
I will start with the main ones and add as necessary. She does find it bothersome to take so many supps, particularly since she is off all prescription meds including high blood pressure meds that she was on for many years (ascorbates and enzymes helped tremendously here). I also think that detox is crucial and the diet will remain with no return to gluten, etc.

Thanks again.

RedFox said:
Aaron said:
Apparently Dr. Hyman put the quiz online, and will offer you supplement solutions based on your answers.

_http://store.ultramind.com/Quiz

I thought I'd take it to see how things are doing (I've still yet to go through the book fully).
I'm pretty shocked at how they turned out! Geez....

Fatty Acids Quiz 6
Dopamine Quiz 5
Serotonin Quiz 7
GABA Quiz 7
Acetylcholine Quiz 5
Methylation Quiz 10
Vitamin D Quiz 5
Magnesium Quiz 13
Zinc Quiz 8
Insulin Quiz 9
Thyroid Quiz 13
Sexual Hormones Quiz 9
Inflammation Quiz 10
Gut Quiz 13
Toxins Quiz 8
Loss of Energy Quiz 16
Oxidative Stress Quiz 6
Adrenal Dysfunction Quiz 16

:O

Here are my updated scores (as of today).

Fatty Acids Quiz 5 -1
Dopamine Quiz 6 +1
Serotonin Quiz 6 -1
GABA Quiz 7 no change
Acetylcholine Quiz 4 -1
Methylation Quiz 7 -3
Vitamin D Quiz 6 +1 (have recently stopped taking vit D due to it being summer, and high vit D levels being linked to weight loss)
Magnesium Quiz 11 no change (looks like I need more magnesium)
Zinc Quiz 6 -2
Insulin Quiz 9 no change....but in general my energy levels are less erratic/more stable than they where
Thyroid Quiz 9 -4
Sexual Hormones Quiz 8 -1
Inflammation Quiz 10 no change
Gut Quiz 6 -7!!!! I put this down to the UltraSimple diet
Toxins Quiz 6 -2
Loss of Energy Quiz 13 -3
Oxidative Stress Quiz 7 +1
Adrenal Dysfunction Quiz 10 -6!!!! I've been taking liquorish root and eating a large breakfast

Interesting.....I'm starting to wonder if my weight loss is not physiological??

Hey Psyche, I was wondering if I may get some extra interpretation on my quiz.

Fatty Acids Quiz 3
Dopamine Quiz 3
Serotonin Quiz 8
GABA Quiz 4
Acetylcholine Quiz 7
Methylation Quiz 5
Vitamin D Quiz 2
Magnesium Quiz 12
Zinc Quiz 4
Insulin Quiz 4
Thyroid Quiz 7
Sexual Hormones Quiz 2
Inflammation Quiz 3
Gut Quiz 6
Toxins Quiz 2
Loss of Energy Quiz 7
Oxidative Stress Quiz 3
Adrenal Dysfunction Quiz 5

I've started taking omega 3 EPA 400/DHA 200, Vitamin D3 -2000 IU, Methyl B12 1000mcg and my
multiple vitamin which has
Vitamin C - 120mg
Vitamin D3 - 1000 IU
Vitamin E - 75 IU
Vitamin K - 60 Mcg
Thiamine (B1) - 11mg
riboflavin (B2) - 10mg
Niacinamide - 25mg
Vitamin B6 - 12mg
Folate - 400mcg
Vitamin B12 - 20mcg
Biotin - 300mcg
Pantothenic acid - 23mg
Calcium - 15mg
Iodine - 100mcg
Magnesium - 20 mg
Zinc - 15mg
Selenium - 70mcg
Copper - 100mcg
Manganese 2mg
Chromium (GTF) - 50mcg
Molybdenum - 10mcg
Potassium - 7.4mg
and some other ingredients,
Mixed carotenoids - 10000 IU
Mens strengthening blend 250 mg
and immune health blend 125mg

I started Pro biotics (12 billion) on July 19Th. and my supplements about 2 weeks before that. I just started 5HTP 100MG today, taking 200mg so far. I still need to get some Gaba later today, (thought 5htp and gaba was the same), didn't know what I was thinking. I still need a magnesium supplement along with Acetylcholine?

Ive really not had issues with dairy, never liked it, I use rice milk now along with organic butter (haven't tried GHEE yet).
I know I'm not seeing this data right care too give a pointer or too?

If you already eliminated gluten and dairy and other evil processed foods, you can do the elimination diet to make sure that you are eating only those foods which will allow your body to recover its strength and balance. If you don't want to lose more weight, you can use the menu suggested as a guide, having more foods so that you never go hungry. The elimination diet is found here: http://eiriu-eolas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14 It is Laura's post, and the two posts that follow. It is an updated, modified version.

Many imbalances can correct themselves with diet alone.

shadowsaround said:
Dopamine Quiz 3 (moderate)
Serotonin Quiz 8 (severe)
GABA Quiz 4 (moderate)
Acetylcholine Quiz 7 (severe)
Magnesium Quiz 12 (severe)
Loss of Energy Quiz 7 (moderate)

I would increase the 5 HTP supplementation in a couple of days by 100mg. For example, you can take 100mg with lunch time and 200mg with dinner time. Alternatively, you can take some at dinner time and the other dose before going to bed (for some, it works best this way). It is best to see if the 5 HTP alone takes care of the symptoms, including the GABA ones. Usually it does, if it doesn't, then it's best to get some GABA as well.

Because of stress or a severe serotonin imbalance, there may be the need of a higher 5 HTP dose than usual (recommended dose is 300mg per day). For example, some have required up to 600mg of 5 HTP for a period of time. Are you having trouble sleeping?

You'll also need more magnesium, around 750mg per day of magnesium chelate (magnesium malate, citrate, etc, but not oxide). Magnesium malate has the advantage that it may help with muscle aches and it is usually better absorbed. On top of that, you can do magnesium baths (Epsom salts, or magnesium chloride for example), it is very relaxing and detoxing as well.

After a couple of weeks on 5 HTP, you can also add something to take care of your acetylcholine imbalance. For instance, phosphatidylcholine. In the Ultra Mind Solution, what is actually recommended is the following:

-PS (phosphatidylserine) 200mg twice a day with meals for 2 months, after 2 months reduce to 100mg twice a day with meals.
-GPC (glycerophosphocholine) or CDP-choline, 1200mg 3 times a day with meals for two months, after two months reduce to 400mg 3 times a day with meals.

Acetyl-L-carnitine 500mg in the morning on an empty stomach is also for Acetylcholine support. There are powder forms that you can add to your morning protein shake.

FWIW, basic supplementation includes magnesium, omega 3s, vitamins C, B, and D, enzymes, a good multivitamin/multimineral, and probiotics, even if there are no imbalances. In your case, I would add at least extra vitamin C and B supplementation and of the omega 3 you got, I would take at least two of those.

Food intolerances are often common causes of thyroid problems, so eliminating gluten (wheat, barley,oats, spelt, kamut, etc) is very important. Soy is also a common cause of thyroid problems, and fluoride as well.

Hope this helps.

LQB said:
I will start with the main ones and add as necessary. She does find it bothersome to take so many supps, particularly since she is off all prescription meds including high blood pressure meds that she was on for many years (ascorbates and enzymes helped tremendously here). I also think that detox is crucial and the diet will remain with no return to gluten, etc.

Thanks again.

I want to add that the beneficial effects of the infrared sauna blanket not only relieve pain, but seem to really aid sleeping well at night which is absolutely essential for healing. I just can't tell you how relieving that infrared heat is, especially for leg circulation.

Back
Top Bottom