Unusual behaviour in animals, and our pets

I am so thakful that my neighbour was there, because I would not have been so fast, first I looked at him from the 3rd floor, the dog was there but eventualy it mooved somewere else, so I thought, it was gone and went in, but then it came back and was about to attak him.
Only for great luck my neighbour noticed the situation while he was on the phone and juped out of his flat to save him...
Now we know whom the dog belonges to, only the owners where not at home when we wanted to talk to them...

Source in french, in Democratic Republic of Congo :

"Kinshasa: the "assassin" dog of the baby in Ndjili eaten by the young people of the district

Kinshasa 28-02-2023 Society
The dog which devoured a child was also killed in turn before being eaten by the young people of district IV, in the commune of N'djili.
To express their regret, the young people of district IV, in the commune of N'djili, ate the dog "Pitbull", which devoured a child in their district. These young people from the Tshangu district explained that they found the solution to this problem, that of killing this animal, preparing it and eating it, because the little one died. Hence the dog also had to suffer the same fate."

It is not that unusual to see a whale in Adriatic, but this video went viral as here were filmed as many as 10 (!!!) fin whales in a group in the sea near the island of Vis (middle Adriatic and close to the coast).

A tiger eats a sleeping dog next to a sleeping man in India.Glory be to God, if not for the dog, he would have taken the man!!

Updated 10:20 PM EDT, Tue May 16, 2023

Police are searching for a missing fisherman after a mangled human head was found on Monday afternoon following a suspected bear attack.

Toshihiro Nishikawa, 54, was dropped off by boat on Sunday morning at a solo fishing spot on Japan's Lake Shumarinai, in Horokanai, Hokkaido, Kyodo News reported. Later that morning, the boat operator caught sight of a bear with fishing boots dangling from its mouth.

The operator tried to call Nishikawa, but couldn't get through.

When Nishikawa didn't return, the Horokanai town office launched a bear hunt operation, which resulted in a bear being shot in the area on Monday afternoon.

A human head was also discovered during the operation, near where Nishikawa went missing. However, police are yet to confirm whether the head belonged to Nishikawa.

Japan is home to two species of bear: the Asiatic black bear and the Ussuri brown bear. Brown bears are only found on Hokkaido, which is the northern-most island of the Japanese archipelago.

The Ussuri brown bear is a subspecies of the brown bear, Ursus arctos, found in Japan, China and southeastern Russia. They are slightly smaller than North American brown bears—also known as grizzly bears—but they are still larger than the Asiatic black bears found on mainland Japan.

According to official reports, 14 people were killed or injured by bears in Hokkaido in 2021, and the animals cause millions of dollars of crop damage. As a result, hundreds of brown bears are killed every year across the prefecture, and their distribution has become largely restricted to the mountains, according to reports from Hokkaido University.

The Horokanai town office issued a notice in light of the suspected attack, which it described as "haunting." It said: "Please be careful when doing farm work, forest work, or entering the mountains near the sightings."

According to the national park service, if you ever find yourself face to face with a bear, it's important to stay calm and stand your ground. Do not run or give them access to food and make yourself as large as possible. If you have any children with you, pick them up immediately but do not make any sudden movements.

Should a bear attack you, there are different strategies for different bears: for brown/grizzly bears, the park service recommends playing dead, but you should do the opposite if you encounter a black bear. If escape is not possible, try fighting back with any objects available.

India

Not sure it belongs here, but it surely was strange.

I noticed our dogs barking more than usual today, looked out of the window and my jaw dropped to the floor. Three horses appeared in our driveway.

We live quite literally in the middle of nowhere and there is about 500 yard gravel road to our house. None of our neighbors around have horses.

Yet, there are 3 of them walking in the driveway towards the house. I got out of the house and on the approach they saw me, stopped for a moment and then resumed their walk towards me. Apparently they did recognize a human. They stopped at 20 yard distance. At that moment I realized few things:
- the horses were quite large, about 2000lb animals each. Two brown ones and a white one in the middle. Just like from a Hollywood B class movie.
- the driveway is gravel and pretty narrow, one car to pass thru comfortably but that`s it. One side is steep up the hill forrest with thick and thorny bushes, the other side with sheep fence and steep down the hill pasture with sheep in it currently. Horses took the entire width.
- our dogs, 2 large great pyrenees which are normally very protective and give a healthy chase to any deer or animal in vicinity are cowering behind my ass, heads down, tails tucked in. What the heck??
- another realization kicked in. If the horses start running at me, it is over

So we stare at each other for good 30 seconds. 3 horses on one side, me and the 2 dogs on the other. Then they must felt bored somewhat, so they turned around and casually walk back to the greener pastures.

I got back home and only then realized my knees where wobbly and my heart rate was thru the roof.

Couple of hours later I got back there to check the place. Only few piles of horse droppings indicated in was not a dream. I guess they won this round :whistle:

Where they come from I have no clue. There were no marks on them and in the heat of the moment I didn`t even think of checking horse shoes or other clues.

At different times since we moved in this location, we saw dangerous animals like coyotes, bear quite close and even a mountain lion got captured on a camera once. All that while I was good, but this most recent experience left me puzzled and a bit shaky about the whole thing.

Killer whales wreck boat in latest attack off Spain

Reuters
May 25, 20235:11 PM GMT+2Updated 16 hours ago

A sailboat is pictured sailing in the Mediterranean sea, from the Rock, in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar, south of Spain

A sailboat is pictured sailing in the Mediterranean sea, from the Rock, in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar, south of Spain August 16, 2013. Picture taken August 16, 2013. REUTERS/Jon Nazca

MADRID, May 25 (Reuters) - Killer whales severely damaged a sailing boat off the coast of southern Spain, the local maritime rescue service said on Thursday, adding to dozens of orca attacks on vessels recorded so far this year on Spanish and Portuguese coasts.

In the early hours of Thursday, a group of orcas broke the rudder and pierced the hull after ramming into the Mustique on its way to Gibraltar, prompting its crew of four to contact Spanish authorities for help, a spokesman for the maritime rescue service said.

The service deployed a rapid-response vessel and a helicopter carrying a bilge pump to assist the 20-metre (66 feet) vessel, which was sailing under a British flag, he added. The Mustique was towed to the port of Barbate, in the province of Cadiz, for repairs.

According to the research group GTOA, which tracks populations of the Iberian orca sub-species, the incident follows at least 20 interactions this month alone in the Strait of Gibraltar between small vessels and the highly social apex predators. In 2022, there were 207 reported interactions, GTOA data showed.

Earlier in May, the sailing yacht Alboran Champagne suffered a similar impact from three orcas half a nautical mile off Barbate. The ship could not be towed as it was completely flooded and was left adrift to sink.

Guidelines issued by the Spanish Transport Ministry stipulate that whenever ships observe any alteration in the behaviour of orcas - such as sudden changes of direction or speed - they should leave the area as soon as possible and avoid further disturbance to the animals during the manoeuvres.

Every interaction between a ship and an orca must be reported to authorities, the ministry added.

Although known as killer whales, endangered orcas are part of the dolphin family. They can measure up to eight metres and weigh up to six tonnes as adults.

Two days after the death of a Russian in a shark attack in Hurghada... a new disaster in the Red Sea governorate

After the shark incident... a huge fire in a tourist boat in #مصر ... and the loss of 3 British tourists so far

The accident occurred at the end of a trip that British tourists were taking between the 6th and the 11th of this month "in the El Festoon area, 25 kilometers north of Marsa Alam."

Three British tourists went missing Sunday after a yacht they were on board caught fire in the Red Sea city of Marsa Alam in southern Egypt, local authorities said.

According to the official page of the Red Sea Governorate on Facebook, a fire broke out on a yacht "with 15 English passengers on board," in addition to 10 crew and two guides.

She indicated that 12 tourists, the boat's crew, and the two guides had been rescued, and the search for "three missing... Englishmen" was continuing. The statement attributed the fire through the "initial examination" to "an electrical short circuit in the engine room (of the yacht)

The accident occurred at the end of a trip that British tourists were taking between the 6th and the 11th of this month, "in the El Festoon area, 25 kilometers north of Marsa Alam."

The Red Sea in Egypt and the tourist resorts overlooking it are among the main factors that attract tourists to the country, whose tourism sector accounts for at least 10 percent of its gross domestic product.

An Arizona man was mauled to death by a bear in an unprovoked, random attack on his property Friday morning, authorities said.

Tucson resident Steven Jackson, 66, was found dead next to the black bear in Groom Creek, the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. Jackson was outside drinking coffee on his property where he was building a home, when the animal began attacking him shortly before 8 a.m. local time.

"It appears that a male black bear attacked Mr. Jackson, taking him unaware, and dragged him approximately 75 feet down an embankment," the sheriff's office described.

After hearing Jackson's screams, neighbors attempting to deter the bear by shouting and honking their car horns, but the animal did not relent.

A neighbor then retrieved his rifle and shot the bear, killing it.

"Unfortunately, by that time Mr. Jackson has succumbed to his horrible injuries," the sheriff's office's press release said.

The Arizona Game and Fish Department told authorities that the incident was highly unusual, with a similar incident happening in the mid-1980s. Officials are dumbstruck because there was nothing on site that would have necessarily attracted the bear.

"At first glance, there did not appear to be anything on the site that would have precipitated a[n] attack by the bear, such as food, a cooking site or access to water," the sheriff's office said.

Arizona Game and Fish Department officials believe the bear's aggression was a "predatory response", but they are unsure what caused it.

"Our sincere sympathies go out to Mr. Jackson’s family" Sheriff David Rhodes said in a statement. "I cannot express how deeply sad this situation is and can only say our prayers are with you."

Yavapai County Sheriff's Office is actively investigating the incident. Officials ask residents to not shoot bears unless they detect an imminent threat.

A dated sighting of Killer Whales on the west coast of the United States.

Also, this same group of killer whales was spotted off the Monterey Bay coast.

(7 Jun 2023) Roughly two dozen killer whales were spotted last month off the coast of San Francisco in an uncommonly large grouping of orcas for Northern California. The whales were likely together celebrating a kill of sea lions or seals near the Farallon Islands.

Back
Top Bottom