used laptop anyone?

SolarMother

Dagobah Resident
I am not sure if this is the place to post about this, but I did a search first and could not find anything related to 'looking for a product.'
Being on a budget, I thought that I would ask if anyone wants to get rid of an older laptop? I realized I could be online a lot more, especially on the forum, instead of having to come to my local library, if I could find a used laptop. This would be affordable for me compared to a new one. I am not that picky about how old it is. In fact, it seems that older laptops are easier on the eyes, and I need that too.
Also, at one point there was a 'give away' thread, started by Mrs Tigersoap I think, but I cannot find it.
Thank you!

You may want to shop around on _http://www.craigslist.org in your area for someone selling a used laptop near you.

Nicolas said:
You may want to shop around on _http://www.craigslist.org in your area for someone selling a used laptop near you.

Thank you Nicolas, I did that with no luck in my area, which is rather rural-- so I thought I would try the forum.

Hi SolarMother
Just wanted to remind you about the thread Forum Personal Messages and Predators as to not get involved with others via PM's or meetups....if someone offered you a laptop and you sent them your personal address you would be opening yourself up to a potential threat. fwiw

RedFox said:
Hi SolarMother
Just wanted to remind you about the thread Forum Personal Messages and Predators as to not get involved with others via PM's or meetups....if someone offered you a laptop and you sent them your personal address you would be opening yourself up to a potential threat. fwiw

Thank you for that reminder, Redfox. I will read that thread, just in case.
My personal address is a PO Box, and I was thinking only of snail mail and paying for postage if someone on the forum wanted to get rid of an older laptop.
Its looking like the thread started about 'give aways' never happened--that is what prompted me to try the forum, since I have been looking around for a month now in my area. I also comtemplated that my request was 'the self asking for the self' but really, I need to be online more often and all the things I do online are forum related...my email, FB, the various LKJ sites, etc.
I have heard that there is more strobe waves than ever the newer the model of laptop and I have eye issues even with new glasses...ah well,
I do notice that older laptops (even 10 years old) are easy on the eyes.

SolarMother said:
RedFox said:
Hi SolarMother

Thank you for that reminder, Redfox. I will read that thread, just in case.
My personal address is a PO Box, and I was thinking only of snail mail and paying for postage if someone on the forum wanted to get rid of an older laptop.
Its looking like the thread started about 'give aways' never happened--that is what prompted me to try the forum, since I have been looking around for a month now in my area. I also comtemplated that my request was 'the self asking for the self' but really, I need to be online more often and all the things I do online are forum related...my email, FB, the various LKJ sites, etc.
I have heard that there is more strobe waves than ever the newer the model of laptop and I have eye issues even with new glasses...ah well,
I do notice that older laptops (even 10 years old) are easy on the eyes.

Have you considered ebay?
Heres two laptops I found quickly....the listing seem to say they are working with everything included, but best to check yourself.
_http://cgi.ebay.com/Clean-Working-IBM-ThinkPad-390x-400MHz-Laptop-PC-/300495088378?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item45f6e72afa
_http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Latitude-LS-PP01S-P3-400-WORKING-LAPTOP-/160496507798?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item255e565b96

RedFox said:
SolarMother said:
RedFox said:
Hi SolarMother
Heres two laptops I found quickly....the listing seem to say they are working with everything included, but best to check yourself.
_http://cgi.ebay.com/Clean-Working-IBM-ThinkPad-390x-400MHz-Laptop-PC-/300495088378?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item45f6e72afa
_http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Latitude-LS-PP01S-P3-400-WORKING-LAPTOP-/160496507798?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item255e565b96

I appreciate the info you sent--thank you for doing that, Firefox.
I also have heard to use caution with ebay because of disappointments people have with what they get from ebay. That is actually why I thought I could trust the forum more so!
Also, I don't use credit cards...maybe someone on ebay would accept a money order, if I felt like trusting what is on sale-- so I will look into what you sent, and finally, have you used ebay, and if so, been satisfied with it?

Edit=Quote

Hi Solarmother

I have an old laptop (bougth in NY '99) you may have.
3 problems:

1 is I'm in Europe (Ireland) and shipping is pricy, UPS wants 150 $ on a good day, haven't checked regular mailsystem as the site doesn't mention price details, so I'll ask when I get into town.
2 you'd need to get an ac/dc adaptor, a guess would be 10 $ for one of those.
3 you'd need another operating system, I installed win xp (previous to loosing the adaptor) which was slow and taxing on the old machine, it used to run win 2000 just fine, but I guess ubuntu (free if you can download it yourself) would also do well on it.

paralleloscope said:
Hi Solarmother

I have an old laptop (bougth in NY '99) you may have.
3 problems:

1 is I'm in Europe (Ireland) and shipping is pricy, UPS wants 150 $ on a good day, haven't checked regular mailsystem as the site doesn't mention price details, so I'll ask when I get into town.
2 you'd need to get an ac/dc adaptor, a guess would be 10 $ for one of those.
3 you'd need another operating system, I installed win xp (previous to loosing the adaptor) which was slow and taxing on the old machine, it used to run win 2000 just fine, but I guess ubuntu (free if you can download it yourself) would also do well on it.

Thank you Paralleloscope for that kind offer of a laptop. :/
I will let you know if nothing else comes up and despite the shipping price, and the operating system you mentioned, if it is the right way to go.

SolarMother said:
RedFox said:
SolarMother said:
RedFox said:
Hi SolarMother

I also have heard to use caution with ebay because of disappointments people have with what they get from ebay. That is actually why I thought I could trust the forum more so!
Also, I don't use credit cards...maybe someone on ebay would accept a money order, if I felt like trusting what is on sale-- so I will look into what you sent, and finally, have you used ebay, and if so, been satisfied with it?

Edit=Quote

SolarMother,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I have bought items from ebay for a couple of years (I tend to get them cheaper there) and have never been disappointed. The most expensive item I bought was a video projector and was delighted with its quality. My partner's father is very much into photography and buys expensive cameras and all sort of photography equipment through ebay. As far as I'm aware they have a strict e-buyer's protection policy for cases of fraud, although I'm not sure of how it works because I've never had any problem myself.
If you want to try out ebay and be on the safe side, the best thing is to choose sellers that have been around for awhile and have plenty of positive feedback.

I also never had credit cards, I use my normal bank card which is a visa debit. You would need to open a Paypal account though. Paypal also has e-buyer protection.

Gertrudes said:
SolarMother said:
RedFox said:
SolarMother said:
RedFox said:
Hi SolarMother

Edit=Quote

SolarMother,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I have bought items from ebay for a couple of years (I tend to get them cheaper there) and have never been disappointed. The most expensive item I bought was a video projector and was delighted with its quality. My partner's father is very much into photography and buys expensive cameras and all sort of photography equipment through ebay. As far as I'm aware they have a strict e-buyer's protection policy for cases of fraud, although I'm not sure of how it works because I've never had any problem myself.
If you want to try out ebay and be on the safe side, the best thing is to choose sellers that have been around for awhile and have plenty of positive feedback.

I also never had credit cards, I use my normal bank card which is a visa debit. You would need to open a Paypal account though. Paypal also has e-buyer protection.

I appreciate you jumping in, Gertrudes! Thankyou for that feedback re eBay....I am going to look into the ads Redfox sent me and see what I can do there while I see if anything local turns up with someone I may know...adieu!

I have several aging, used laptops that were given to me by business clients (I help with lots of different tech issues). I think 2 of them are in good working order and 2 of them have screens that need to be replaced. I could donate them to FOTCM so as to avoid giving out any personal information, ship them to the Rabbit Hole or some other FOTCM headquarters and they could ship one to you and the other to another member who might be in need. Maybe a mod can jump in and comment on whether or not this sounds like a good idea?

Seamas said:
I have several aging, used laptops that were given to me by business clients (I help with lots of different tech issues). I think 2 of them are in good working order and 2 of them have screens that need to be replaced. I could donate them to FOTCM so as to avoid giving out any personal information, ship them to the Rabbit Hole or some other FOTCM headquarters and they could ship one to you and the other to another member who might be in need. Maybe a mod can jump in and comment on whether or not this sounds like a good idea?

Hi Seamas,
I've been away from a computer since last Monday, so I am just getting your posting today... thank you for your offer! No Mod has jumped in to say anything, but it seems like a good idea that you have.
If you could tell me more about the 2 computers that don't need new screens, I would appreciate that. Maybe you can ship them to FOTCM in Boulder since I am in CO. I have no idea how they would feel about shipping a computer to me, but I would be happy to pay for the shipping, and to ask them about this if you and I decide to proceed and all is OK with the plan. As of now, I was considering ebay, but don't like the idea of using paypal since we don't use bank account or credit cards. I will be online most of the afternoon today, and then again tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again!

SolarMother said:
Seamas said:

Hi Seamas,
I've been away from a computer since last Monday, so I am just getting your posting today... thank you for your offer! No Mod has jumped in to say anything, but it seems like a good idea that you have.
If you could tell me more about the 2 computers that don't need new screens, I would appreciate that. Maybe you can ship them to FOTCM in Boulder since I am in CO. I have no idea how they would feel about shipping a computer to me, but I would be happy to pay for the shipping, and to ask them about this if you and I decide to proceed and all is OK with the plan. As of now, I was considering ebay, but don't like the idea of using paypal since we don't use bank account or credit cards. I will be online most of the afternoon today, and then again tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again!

Before shipping anything to FOTCM or to the Rabbit Hole, please let me check to see the best way to do this. I don't think making things overly complicated (or making more work for the people at those locations) is necessarily the way to go. I'll respond here asap.

SolarMother, one of the good computers, and the two that have bad screens are Dell Latitude d810s. They are not very fast, but should be fine for internet use, word processing, etc. If you are computer saavy I could send you the good one and one or both of the other ones for parts. The other working machine is a Dell Inspiron 8500 I think. I'm pretty sure it has a slightly bigger screen, but in my opinion the Latitude is a better machine and will most likely be more reliable.

Thanks for checking on this Anart, it makes sense to keep things as simple as possible. It makes no difference to me whether I ship the computer directly to SolarMother or indirectly through FOTCM, I just want to do something to help another member, but I want to make sure I'm going through the proper channels. I will wait to hear from you.

Back
Top Bottom