used laptop anyone?

Seamas said:
SolarMother, one of the good computers, and the two that have bad screens are Dell Latitude d810s. They are not very fast, but should be fine for internet use, word processing, etc. If you are computer saavy I could send you the good one and one or both of the other ones for parts. The other working machine is a Dell Inspiron 8500 I think. I'm pretty sure it has a slightly bigger screen, but in my opinion the Latitude is a better machine and will most likely be more reliable.

Thanks for checking on this Anart, it makes sense to keep things as simple as possible. It makes no difference to me whether I ship the computer directly to SolarMother or indirectly through FOTCM, I just want to do something to help another member, but I want to make sure I'm going through the proper channels. I will wait to hear from you.

thank you Anart. Really appreciate this.
Seamas--the Latitude sounds fine. I think you said it needed parts, but is more reliable--right? I'm not sure if I can work with the parts since there is no shop in my small town that deals with that. I might be fine with the Dell Inspiron 8500 too.

SolarMother said:
Seamas--the Latitude sounds fine. I think you said it needed parts, but is more reliable--right? I'm not sure if I can work with the parts since there is no shop in my small town that deals with that. I might be fine with the Dell Inspiron 8500 too.

It will be simplest to just go ahead and PM Seamus your mailing address. Seamus, if you could make sure the computer is in good operating condition, so Solar Mother doesn't have to turn to you to help configure anything or figure anything out, that would be a huge help and also help to minimize future off-forum contact. :)

:) Ok, sounds like a plan. Anart, thanks for checking on this. SolarMother please pm me your mailing address and I will send the laptop directly to you after I give it a once over. I'll make sure the software is all up to date and everything works properly.

anart said:
SolarMother said:

It will be simplest to just go ahead and PM Seamus your mailing address. Seamus, if you could make sure the computer is in good operating condition, so Solar Mother doesn't have to turn to you to help configure anything or figure anything out, that would be a huge help and also help to minimize future off-forum contact. :)

Thank you Anart :)

Seamas,

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask you this, but would you be able to give away the other good laptop you have? The reason why I`m asking this is because my partner has been looking for an affordable laptop to develop his work for a while now, but we don`t have the means to afford it just yet. I`m not sure of whether this would be at all a reasonable request since it wouldn't be for me, but for someone who is not part of the forum. Moderators please let me know.
Am I crossing the line here?

Hi Gertrudes,

I don't think there's any reason to feel embarrassed. I would be happy to send the other working one to you as long as no one else sees a problem with that. If you don't mind paying for shipping that would be great, and please keep in mind that they are used and somewhat elderly as far as laptops go, so make sure you back up your work in case something goes wrong. I think I'll have time to get them together to ship by next Monday, I just want to make sure they're ship shape.

Cheers!

Many thanks Seamas :)
It wouldn't cross my mind having you paying for the shipping, that would surely be covered by me. Let's see what the mods say, and if everything's ok I'll PM you my mailing address as well.

You wouldn't need to worry about configuring anything, my partner is a bit of a techie so hopefully he'd be able to sort it out.

Yeah, no problem. Ya'll can carry on with sharing info off-list.

Heimdallr said:
Yeah, no problem. Ya'll can carry on with sharing info off-list.

Great!

I'll PM you my mailing address Seamas, and will also forward it to Heimdallr to keep him in the loop.

Sounds good. I'll get some shipping estimates tomorrow and let you know when I expect to be able to ship out the laptops.

Seamas said:
Sounds good. I'll get some shipping estimates tomorrow and let you know when I expect to be able to ship out the laptops.
fwiw if you mark the package as 'laptop for spare parts' with a value under $100 it should get through customs without needing any bills paying this end.

RedFox said:
Seamas said:
fwiw if you mark the package as 'laptop for spare parts' with a value under $100 it should get through customs without needing any bills paying this end.

Thanks for the tip RedFox, I was kind of wondering about customs. I'll mark the package that way.

Hi Seamas,
Sounds like you are going to know the shipping cost for me by Monday since I just now read your postings to Gertrudes. I am so glad that someone else is going to be benefitted by your other laptop. Looking forward to the package in the mail! Let me know if you need anything else.

Hi Gertrudes,

Your laptop has a loose connection in the cable that runs from the video card to the lcd. It seems to work fine except that the screen flickers a bit when you open or close the lid. This is a common problem for dells because of the way the hinges are made, but I'm worried that it will only get worse. You mentioned that your partner is a techie, so I could send it along to you if he is ok with fixing it if it gets worse, or I could order a replacement cable (they're about 15USD) and take care of it before I send it. That might make more sense, but its up to you. I'll wait to ship it to you until I hear from you. If anyone else has a thought here, please feel free to jump in.

Hi Seamas,

If you tell me how to look for the cable, as in, under which name or part number it is designated, I can look for it on ebay and order it myself. My partner will then replace it.
Thank you for your offer to help though, it is much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom