used laptop anyone?

SolarMother said:
Just how does one be online safely these days???
First, use a UNIX like operating system, never connect a Windows NT or MS-DOS based system to the internet.
Second, use a secure browser with very restrictive settings, perhaps with the aid of plugins if supported.
Third, use a firewall in each case and/or a router with NAT (supported by almost all modern routers).
Forth, do not visit every website which you can visit, do not give away too much personal data, be aware of internet fraud, and so on.
And many other things...

Look here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=15888.0
And also here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=4160.0

Quote from: SolarMother

Sirius,
What I meant was how can one use a computer safely regarding wifi radiation besides the ethernet cord (which is what exactly?) And, is satellite the same as wifi?
Thanks--there is NO geek in me whatsoever. :headbash: this is how I feel learning how to use the computer without risking radiation and also how to use the forum codes. Slowly, getting at it.

[quote author=SolarMother]What I meant was how can one use a computer safely regarding wifi radiation besides the ethernet cord (which is what exactly?) [/quote] :oops: I obviously misunderstood your question. Well, one cannot. One can reduce the radiation, but that's everything one can do, and that is, unfortunately, not enough or not sufficient. The only reasonable solution is to switch off WiFi completely (and everything else which radiates permanently, like cordless phones, etc.).

[quote author=SolarMother]And, is satellite the same as wifi?[/quote]No, of course, it isn't. If it were the same thing, it would share the same name. What do you mean by satellite exactly? TV, internet connection?
Regarding internet via satellite, you only receive data from the satellite (download) and the upload is realised through your telephone connection (e.g. ISDN), though this method is being more and more replaced by other techniques which produce e-smog! So the satellite router doesn't need to emit anything in general, assuming it doesn't have built-in WiFi or WiFi is switched off. And TV satellite is not a problem and doesn't have the same effects as WiFi. It works differently.

[quote author=SolarMother]I use Windows all the time here , so it should work.[/quote]Wait and see! :lol:

SolarMother said:
Quote from: SolarMother

Sirius,
What I meant was how can one use a computer safely regarding wifi radiation besides the ethernet cord (which is what exactly?) And, is satellite the same as wifi?
Thanks--there is NO geek in me whatsoever. :headbash: this is how I feel learning how to use the computer without risking radiation and also how to use the forum codes. Slowly, getting at it.

Hi SolarMother,

The laptop I sent you does not have bluetooth on it, so you don't have to worry about that. There is a little light, just below the screen that says "wifi" on it. When it is lit up the wifi is on, when it isn't lit up the wifi is off. You should be able to toggle it on and off with by pushing fn+F2. Basically you want to limit your exposure as much as possible because the frequencies wifi transmits at are damaging. The closer you are to the antenna/transmitter, the more radiation you absorb. So what Sirius was suggesting is that you would be exposed to less radiation if you use a wifi antenna with a long cord vs the antenna in your laptop. If you use an ethernet cord whenever possible and shut the wifi antenna off when you aren't using it you will limit your exposure.

Seamas
Hi SolarMother,

The laptop I sent you does not have bluetooth on it, so you don't have to worry about that. There is a little light, just below the screen that says "wifi" on it. When it is lit up the wifi is on, when it isn't lit up the wifi is off. You should be able to toggle it on and off with by pushing fn+F2. Basically you want to limit your exposure as much as possible because the frequencies wifi transmits at are damaging. The closer you are to the antenna/transmitter, the more radiation you absorb. So what Sirius was suggesting is that you would be exposed to less radiation if you use a wifi antenna with a long cord vs the antenna in your laptop. If you use an ethernet cord whenever possible and shut the wifi antenna off when you aren't using it you will limit your exposure.
o

Thank you for that info and explanation Seamas. It's actually becoming fun to learn all this. The guy who helped me at the library told me today that you must have put some updates on the computer you gave me because it sure is working fast for the year it could be (he knows computers.) So, I want to thank you for that, Seamas. :flowers: Today this guy in town gave me the same advice as Sirius did re the wifi antenna with a long cord.
The computer sure is a blessing to me!!

But, as I said before, it won't effect the EMF of the router. The router will continue radiating, even if it is not used. Thus you would have to establish a large distance between you and the router in order to weaken the receivable signal (thick walls in between weaken the signal dramatically).
In other words, you have to move the entire communication field away from you, or vice versa. However, this is definitely too theoretical and not always practically applicable. And, USB cable must not be longer as 5 metres.

EDIT: Replaced 'definitively' with 'definitely'.

Hi Seamas,

The laptop hasn't arrived yet, which is expected since it is coming from so far and it is holyday season. The reason why I'm posting though, is because I will be away between the 24th of December and the 2nd of January. If the laptop arrives in the meantime and I'm not home, they'll hold it for a week at our local post office and if unclaimed during that period of time, send it back. I'm concerned that it might arrive while I'm not here.
Were you given a tracking number so that I can check where the parcel is?

Hi Gertrudes,

I was just wondering about this last night. I'm not sure if there was a tracking number on the receipt, but I will check on it later and let you know.

Seamas

Hi Gertrudes,

I checked on the postal service website and it says that the package was received by UK customs on the 15th and that it is being processed. I will pm you the information you need so you can check on it.

Seamas

Seamas,

Your laptop has finally arrived!
Don't know if it was purely coincidence or not, but I had called them yesterday to know why it was taking so long.

Thank you so much, you have no idea how much this will help us :flowers:

Hurray! I'm glad it finally got through. :thup:

Gertrudes said:
Thank you so much, you have no idea how much this will help us :flowers:

It's my pleasure. :D Good luck, may it serve you well.

Sirius said:
But, as I said before, it won't effect the EMF of the router. The router will continue radiating, even if it is not used. Thus you would have to establish a large distance between you and the router in order to weaken the receivable signal (thick walls in between weaken the signal dramatically).
In other words, you have to move the entire communication field away from you, or vice versa. However, this is definitively too theoretical and not always practically applicable. And, USB cable must not be longer as 5 metres.

You can actually extend USB cables beyond 5-meters
(up to 150 feet!) with a USB cable booster, FWIW

Back
Top Bottom