V for Vendetta

Cyre2067

The Living Force
Has anyone else seen the trailer? Talk about appropriate timing... i think it's almost a good thing the movie was delayed because the facism in our culture reflects the movie even more so now then it would have 6 months ago. Can't wait to see it. Also Xmen 3 - am I the only one who thinks the coming 4D is gonna result in some people having "powers"? This has also been a recurrent theme i've noticed in film, like they're prepping us for it, even indoctrinating us, i dunno if you guys remember, but alot of the cartoons in the early 90s and today were around this sort of theme.

Yes, there is a lot buzz surrounding V for Vendetta, hopefully it will prove to be great. A Scanner Darkly is also upcoming and looks to reflect the matrix reality... http://wip.warnerbros.com/index.html?site=ascannerdarkly

Cyre2067 said:
Can't wait to see it. Also Xmen 3 - am I the only one who thinks the coming 4D is gonna result in some people having "powers"? This has also been a recurrent theme i've noticed in film, like they're prepping us for it, even indoctrinating us, i dunno if you guys remember, but alot of the cartoons in the early 90s and today were around this sort of theme.
I recently watched the movie 'The Fantastic Four.'
5 people had their DNA changed by some kind of cosmic cloud that was moving past earth and the 5 scientists where there to do some tests of some kind. Anyway the 5 people developed powers because of the cloud. 4 became the good guys and 1 became the bad guy. Reminded me of The Wave in some ways.

Hi,
I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I can’t wait since it is made by the Wachowski brothers. (makers of the MATRIX trilogy) But it is funny to point out that the new ‘good guy’ is being played by Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith). LOL. Its just a little funny, imo.

Mike said:
Cyre2067 said:
Can't wait to see it. Also Xmen 3 - am I the only one who thinks the coming 4D is gonna result in some people having "powers"? This has also been a recurrent theme i've noticed in film, like they're prepping us for it, even indoctrinating us, i dunno if you guys remember, but alot of the cartoons in the early 90s and today were around this sort of theme.
I recently watched the movie 'The Fantastic Four.'
5 people had their DNA changed by some kind of cosmic cloud that was moving past earth and the 5 scientists where there to do some tests of some kind. Anyway the 5 people developed powers because of the cloud. 4 became the good guys and 1 became the bad guy. Reminded me of The Wave in some ways.
I used to watch the Fantastic Four cartoon and read a little bit of the comic series, and I have to say that the movie changed a lot of the content of the original comic and cartoon series. Same with the X-men. The movies are VERY different than the actual comic, and cartoon series. Although, I have to admit that I agree with the notion that it seems we are being readied for something… but what??

Also I know this is a little off topic, but, remembering a cartoon from the 90’s—was the Spiderman series of 1990’s. This cartoon was imo the best spider-man series made, and they ended the series when it became extremely controversial. In the last 4 episodes it talked about hyperdimentional beings/realities and Spidey meets alternate versions of himself and his Maker (Stan Lee) in the last episode. It was just very well done, and informative. They sure don’t make them like they used to! :(
Check out this link to see which spidey series I’m talking about.
http://www.spiderfan.org/shows/tv_90s/

anyway… sorry to get off topic…

Well that makes sense to me since Hugo Weaving is also Elrond. The one thing that bothered me about The Matrix was seeing Elrond torturing Cowboy Curtis. :)

knowledge_of_self said:
Hi,
I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I can’t wait since it is made by the Wachowski brothers. (makers of the MATRIX trilogy) But it is funny to point out that the new ‘good guy’ is being played by Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith). LOL. Its just a little funny, imo.

DonaldJHunt said:
Well that makes sense to me since Hugo Weaving is also Elrond. The one thing that bothered me about The Matrix was seeing Elrond torturing Cowboy Curtis. :)
Hah! For some reason I feel relieved knowing I'm not the only one who remembers Cowboy Curtis. I think I was 5 years old the last time I saw Pee Wee's Playhouse.

knowledge_of_self said:
Also I know this is a little off topic, but, remembering a cartoon from the 90’s—was the Spiderman series of 1990’s. This cartoon was imo the best spider-man series made, and they ended the series when it became extremely controversial. In the last 4 episodes it talked about hyperdimentional beings/realities and Spidey meets alternate versions of himself and his Maker (Stan Lee) in the last episode. It was just very well done, and informative. They sure don’t make them like they used to! :(
Check out this link to see which spidey series I’m talking about.
http://www.spiderfan.org/shows/tv_90s/

anyway… sorry to get off topic…
I have the entire series on my harddrive :-) And i love the end of the series with the multiple versions of himself with slightly different powers.

These movies are strange, they catch my attention - and the themes are recurrent. Dunno if anyone saw Nightwatch, but they had mutants, "Others" that had different powers, some were light some were dark, and there was balance until one day when a super-other is born. Pretty much the same as X-men, cept this is set is russia with a more mystical background. Very good movie.

That movie had the trailers for V, X3, Brick, Hills have Eyes, and A Scanner Darkly. All of which i wanna see.

Also i had a thought that i wanted to some feedback on: when watching films or reading books sometimes i get these strange seizure-esque deals where my head feels like high-voltage electricity is being jolted through it. Sometimes i get very clear thoughts during/after and connections are made in my head. Its like these episodes are triggered by whatever reading/viewing material i was absorbing. I could just be nuts - but would appreciate any comments ya'll might have.

Hello everyone,
I personally can't wait to see V for Vendetta. If I remember correctly there was some contoversy over the films original release date due to the Londom "terrorist" bombings. I can't seem to find anything about it now and Joel Silver just says production was delayed. Does anyone else know of this?
I remember reading the graphic novels years ago and being amazed at the depth of storytelling. This was not your average comic book.

Here's a blurb from the wiki article about the graphic novels: [NOTE] Possible small spoiler if the movie is true to the novels.

"The series is set in an alternative-future Britain where nuclear weapons had been removed from the country following a victory for Labour in 1983, sparing it from nuclear attack in a limited nuclear war that left the country mostly physically intact, a extreme right-wing fascist single-party state has arisen, called Norsefire, using its control on food during the nuclear winter, with government-controlled media, secret police, a planned economy and concentration camps for racial and sexual minorities with an emphasis on technology, especially closed-circuit television monitoring in the mode of George Orwell's 1984. (Closed-circuit television had not yet become common in the UK at the time Moore wrote the series. Today, London has the world's highest concentration of CCTV.) When the series begins, political conflict has ended, the death camps have finished their work and have been closed, and the public is largely complacent, until "V" — a terrorist and self-proclaimed anarchist dressed as Guy Fawkes, mask and all, with an improbable array of abilities and resources — begins an elaborate, violent, and theatrical campaign to bring down the government.

V himself is something of an enigma, whose history is only hinted at; it is strongly suggested that he is physically and mentally abnormal. The bulk of the story is told from the viewpoints of other characters: V's admirer and apprentice Evey, a sixteen-year old match factory worker; Eric Finch, a world-weary and pragmatic policeman who is hunting V; and several contenders for power within the fascist party. V's destructive acts are morally ambiguous, and a central theme of the series is the rationalisation of atrocities in the name of a higher goal, whether it is stability or freedom. The character is a mixture of an actual advocate of anarchism and the traditional stereotype of the anarchist as a terrorist and advocate of anarchy in the sense of chaos.

There are many references to the letter V and number 5 (which is V in Roman numerals). For example, the character V is seen reading and quoting from Thomas Pynchon's novel, V. and listening to Beethoven's fifth symphony (the first four notes can be represented as the letter V in Morse code.) V always introduces himself with a five-syllable phrase: "You can call me V." The five-syllable phrase "Remember, remember, the fifth of November" is also referenced; it is the first line of a nursery rhyme detailing the exploits of Guy Fawkes. The name of every chapter begins with the letter V. Another link to that letter comes from his past as the "Prisoner of Room Five", as later revealed in the series.

Also following the theme of numbers comes Evey, V's protégé whose name has 4 letters. Her name also contains the name EVE who is the mother of God's new civilization. At the end of the series, Evey finishes V's final terrorist act, she destroys the heart of British authority, with the future uncertain. Like Eve of the bible, her actions give way to a new society.

The series was Moore's first use of the densely detailed narrative and multiple plot lines that would feature heavily in Watchmen. Panel backgrounds are often crammed with clues and red herrings; literary allusions and wordplay are prominent in the chapter titles and in V's speech (which almost always takes the form of iambic pentameter, a poetic meter reliant on five stressed syllables per line).

The structure of the book has several direct parallels with Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera: the Shadow Gallery doubles for the Phantom's Lair, and Evey's abduction and re-education mirrors that of Christine Daae's.

I've only read Moore's graphic novel and whilst it is now, what, twenty years old, the message is truer than ever. Yes, the fascist UK government is extraordinarily inept and easy for V to toppple but there is a powerful dark streak throughout the book which, according to the always-correct Critics, has been removed to make it (here i quote Uncut) "about as scary as an episode of The Avengers". Still, I'll go and see it anyway.

I heard that Terry Gilliam was going to have a crack at The Watchmen but felt that it was just to complex for yer cinema-going public.

The ongoing wave of horror remakes - did you know that The Wickerman has been remade? - just indicate to me that Hollywood has run out of ideas in that area. For me, for sheer jumping-out-of your seat, you can't beat Leatherface's initial appearance in the original Chainsaw Massacre.

I just saw it last night, woot 10pm showings. V didn't seem that evil or dark imho. A little nuts perhaps, but what do ya expect when you're subjected the kinda shit he was (don't wanna spoil it). The language used in the film is beautiful. The opening scene has V ranting in a sort of poetic alliteration that boggles the mind. The visuals are incredible, and the plot very interesting. They have just the right amount of character's a different perspectives to make it interesting and cohesive. Hugo Weaving performed exceptionally from behind the mask, getting the body language and tone of voice right in every scene. Natalie Portman was excellent as well, showing you the exact changes that a "normal" person would go through as their world crashes down around them and the veil of denial and fear dissipates. She is transformed by her experiences into a strong woman who realizes that her integrity and ability to "do what is right" shines through in the darkest of times.

There's an exceptional amount of parallel's to the world we live in. There's one shot where the Facist dude is ranting about how he wants to show the country "why they need us" and then it cuts to their news and it's striking similar to CNN's Headline News if you ever have the stomach to watch that for 10 minutes.

I dont wannt spoil the rest of it, but yeah... go see it.

There was one part where V says "Destroying a building can change the world" and someone in the audience shouted 9-11! and everyone clapped/cheered.

So keep up hope, there are some who are aware.

Wow... The worst part of this movie was realizing as the credits rolled that maybe 2 people in the theatre 'got it.' Other than that, this movie was pretty darn awesome. The "can I ask you a question" scene was great. Political Ponerology should be included with every DVD copy!

hkoehli said:
Wow... The worst part of this movie was realizing as the credits rolled that maybe 2 people in the theatre 'got it.' Other than that, this movie was pretty darn awesome. The "can I ask you a question" scene was great. Political Ponerology should be included with every DVD copy!
Just got back from seeing it - Wow is right. A small crowd was at the theatre, not many people really at all, but I did hear many chuckles during the film that I was glad to hear - at times that clearly related to the situation in the states at the moment. As I was waiting for my friend in the hall after the movie, a father and son walked by. I heard the father say, "just don't analyze it too much, it's only a movie". Yeah, don't analyze it, son, just stay asleep. It was a fun flick to watch though - I suspect next Halloween (if we make it that far) that there will be many people in a Vendetta mask.

=)

I saw the movie today, very good and clearly a work of the Wachowski's. They are obviously very up on recent conspiracy theory and I really would not be surprised if they read this site. I read the original comic years ago and this new adaptation seems to be more symbolic of the current state of America, although there were a lot of parallels with the UK also.
I was actually quite surprised by the many blatant references to leading conspiratorial theories of the moment. Without giving too much away for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet, the movie basically suggests that major terrorist actions are committed by the very governments that then offer their solutions. Bang on the money!
Great to see such ideas presented in such a public forum.

Watched V this week and found interesting that he (V the character) didn't believe in coincidence (he repeated this a few times) - part of the reason he invited Evey to the show of blowing up the first building. Reminded me of paying attention to synchronicity in daily life.

ATTN!!! SPOILERS IN THIS POST!!!

Very clever things going on in this movie...

First, the W. brothers are trying to implant a "government sponsored terrorism against their own people" idea. Try to think about how some people see this movie. Having the terrorist act that was performed by the Norsefire party against their own people be a biological attack was enough for some people NOT to associate it to 9/11. Really... Plenty of people wil not see the connection. They do however file away in their minds the idea of false flag operations. In the process, they make this idea more acceptable to themselves. I am not saying it will work, but IMO the makers of the film are attempting to normalize the idea of false-flag ops.

Second... They are attempting to humanize homosexuals. They portray homosexuals in monogamous, commited relationships based on love. Homophobes, especially the ones who base their prejudice on religion, have this portrayal of homosexuals as these wanton, tortured creatures trapped in some fleshly addiction. IMO, this movies really portrays homosexuals as humans. It was refreshing. Society has some mainstream acceptance for effeminate male homosexuals and masculine female homosexuals. This movie did not much use either of those stereotypes. The lesbian whose life story we are exposed to in the movie was shown having her sexuality as something she had always had from the moment sexuality became a consideration, and thus, staying far away from the rather dilapidated idea that one "chooses" homosexuality. I personally do not remember choosing heterosexuality. Anecdotally, all of the homosexuals whom I have built enough relationship with to ask personal questions of told me that they had always been attracted to the same sex exactly in the same natural way I had always been attracted to people of the opposite gender. A couple stories does not a scientific study make, but I think this is timely since there was an SOTT news story recently about scientific studies suggesting genetic and not environmental origins of sexual gender preference. I think this is all clever because it is aimed IMO at humanizing homosexuals in the minds of those who see the film and do not already know these things,i.e., those who liked "The Matrix" from a mainstream action standpoint but maybe did not understand it's applicability to our current reality. It is a lot harder to hate those you do not objectify.

Third... the suggestion at the end of the movie that we all wear masks to survive and that taking off those masks constitutes rebellion... nice... nuff said...

Back
Top Bottom