Vaccination of Dogs and Cats - Very Important Information

Guardian said:
It looks like they got their nose in the door with rabies, which is a real threat in some places...then just went hog wild.
Yes, this seems to be their modus operandi - not hard to understand from a strictly profit-oriented point of view. I recieved a letter from the school of my children some months ago, where they saw fit to recommend all the children of the school to consider a vaccine against a virus that can cause gastroenteritis - common diahrrea. This with slight studies to document the potential effect, and no conclusive evidence of the professed health gain in my view.
I think it is likely that the immune system needs to be exposed to commen pathogens during childhood in order to develop the needed sophistication for functioning correctly in adulthood. Still the school authorities obviously think their are doing their community a service with this kind of counseling. Sigh.

Vets are very bussiness man, sometimes. Or maybe is the law of the vets but you can live many years with your cats without being with vaccines but attention!!!! if you have to operated your cat for anything your are forced to vaccinated your animal. If you refuse, they will refuse to made the operation. Here in Spain and in Canada also.

Hopefully, they're not all like that. In France, they recently published a law which oblige you to chip your cats (I believe it's the same for dogs but I'm not sure). When I got to the vet to sterilize my cats, in that clinic, they just say "do we put the chip at the same time, it's the law", I just answered no and that was all. Same with vaccins, they don't insist at all. If you say no, it's ok.

I'm really happy to have found this vet clinic, because the others I've met were painful compared to them. Here they are very human and don't treat animals just like cattle, if you see what I mean.

When we still had rabbits we had to take one of them to the vet, since he had a nasty eye infection. The vet asked me whether I would like to have him vaccinated, since it was vaccination week for rabbits! :O (This is The Netherlands.) I was gobsmacked and politely declined.

I hope that I can avoid vaccinations for our cat and dog. I have started giving them fresh beef liver every day and hope to keep them healthy. The eyes of our dog have now started clearing up wonderfully. Some stuff used to come out of her eyes every morning, but that has disappeared. I read an article in The Dot Connector Magazine about the folly to give our pets grains. And all the diseases that they suffer from because of grains.

So, meat every day keeps the vet mostly away?

Mariama said:
So, meat every day keeps the vet mostly away?

Meat and plenty of animal fat and bones. Also don't forget to supplement omega 3 (around 400mg) if you are not feeding grass fed meat and magnesium (150mg per day) .
The skin that remains from the bacon after the butcher slices is for you can be cut into small pieces and you have very motivational and healthy treat. My dogs would do anything for it.

Colloidal silver mist works wonders for rabbit's eyes.

Maat said:
Hopefully, they're not all like that. In France, they recently published a law which oblige you to chip your cats

I have chipped all my animals, dogs, cats, goats, everybody...primarily due to how the law is written here.

Animals are considered "property" and the chip means that if one of my animals is found by animal control (or a vet) it's considered "property with owner identified" which means that whoever finds the animal is required to care for my "property" until it can be returned to me.

Say my kittie (heaven forbid) got in an accident, someone found her and took her to animal control or a vet. That chip guarantees kittie would get medical treatment (instead of just being put down) because they know who is legally responsible for the bill. In fact, if my "owner identified property" is not properly cared for, whoever failed to do so can be held legally liable...so chipping really can save a lost animal's life here.

I understand the Orwellian issues with chipping, but I've not heard of any negative health effects?

Guardian said:
I understand the Orwellian issues with chipping, but I've not heard of any negative health effects?

Not sure about that. Herr Eisenheim might know more, but I think there have been tumor reports regarding the chips since they are EM emitters. But - I need to do some research because I can't find the article I'm thinking about right now so I could be way off on that.

anart said:
Not sure about that. Herr Eisenheim might know more, but I think there have been tumor reports regarding the chips since they are EM emitters. But - I need to do some research because I can't find the article I'm thinking about right now so I could be way off on that.

I think I know what you might be talking about? I did some research before getting goats chipped, and there were a few reports of tumors between a dogs shoulder blades, BUT the chip is placed in the same location as vaccines. I'm more inclined to think the vaccines caused the tumor, although the chip wouldn't help at that point.

Guardian said:
anart said:

I think I know what you might be talking about? I did some research before getting goats chipped, and there were a few reports of tumors between a dogs shoulder blades, BUT the chip is placed in the same location as vaccines. I'm more inclined to think the vaccines caused the tumor, although the chip wouldn't help at that point.

One of the dogs I had that was from a shelter was chipped. She developed a tumor below the area where the chip was. My vet withdrew some fluid to analyze it. It was and orange color and she had never seen anything like it before. She never did come to any conclusions about it, but after she had withdraw the fluid, the tumor kept shrinking until it was gone.

fwiw

It was and orange color and she had never seen anything like it before. She never did come to any conclusions about it, but after she had withdraw the fluid, the tumor kept shrinking until it was gone.

Nienna, was the chip left in?

Guardian said:
anart said:

Well, that's the point - it's an electronic foreign object in the body, so how can issues not follow? I would think the only question is when they follow and what form they take. I would hesitate to chip my animal just like I would my child (unless forced to by law and even then I'd see what work arounds there were). I think your logic on ownership is sound, though, so I understand your motivation. I'm just quite suspect of the physiological ramifications of these things and the only thing I know for certain is that not enough research has been done (as usual) and now they're everywhere - just like cell phones and we're just now finding out what damage those cause. I'm not equating the two, I doubt the chips are as dangerous, but I also doubt they're harmless. It's probably a percentage game as always, most animals don't get sick, some do - but - as I stated in my earlier post, I just don't know enough about it - so I could be wrong.

Richard said:
It was and orange color and she had never seen anything like it before. She never did come to any conclusions about it, but after she had withdraw the fluid, the tumor kept shrinking until it was gone.

Nienna, was the chip left in?

Yes, it was. At the time there was no proof that it was from the chip since the area of the tumor was located in a different area which was below the chip. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

Well the thing is in most of the EU animal owners don't have any choice, where I live it is obligatory for dogs and most probably it will be for cats very soon. The main argument is that this will prevent people from abandoning their dogs.
I have heard allegations that microchips can cause tumors and other problems but so far I never witnessed such case. IMO vaccines are far more dangerous, but then microchips are still fairly new- we will see in 10 years time .

anart said:
I'm not equating the two, I doubt the chips are as dangerous, but I also doubt they're harmless. It's probably a percentage game as always, most animals don't get sick, some do

I agree, it's a numbers game to me too in a way. Which is my animal more likely to be threatened by? Loss and/or separation, or the chip? From what little information I was able to dig up, approx 10 million dogs and cats had been chipped (worldwide) when I got the goats their chips. There were about 300 reported cases of adverse effects (mostly minor irritations) out of that 10 million, with 2 deaths from tumors possibly from the chip, but those were iffy because between the shoulder blades is also a vaccination site?

I balanced that against the chance that they could stray, be chased to the other side of the mountain by a predator, etc. I don't have any stats for pet loss, but not a week goes by that I don't see flyers up for a lost animal. Not just dogs and cats either, goats, pigs, even a horse (which was found)

Lilly was chipped when she was about 4, for the same reasons ...fear of loss as opposed to fear of side effects from the chip. With her, the fear was of theft more than anything else. She's 1/2 Rott and 1/2 German Sheppard, and a beautiful dog. Her breed/type was often the target of theft where we used to live.

These are hard choices, but with the info I've currently got, I think one of my babies has a MUCH higher chance of straying and injured by a predator, or a car, than they do of being sickened by the chip. Now I could be wrong, I know that, but with so many animals winding up at animal control, with no way to identify them ...I'm hoping I made the right call?

It wasn't a decision I had to make with my new kittie, she was already chipped when I adopted her, all I had to do was change the registration information. I don't know if I would have had her chipped or not since she shows NO desire to go outside, but it was a moot point.

Hi HE,

Just received a post card reminder for one of our dogs for Rabies inoculation and Parvo. Have a feeling it has been about 3 years since and you mentioned here:

[quote author=Herr Eisenheim]
I normally recommend initial immunization, first at 2 months of age and one booster after 1-2 months, then booster every 6 or 7 years.
[/quote]

She is 4 and the Rabies is something difficult to get around if traveling across borders and she lives with a lot of wildlife, the Parvo on the other hand makes me a little uneasy as i've had a dog with this disease once after getting inoculated, feel that this is not necessary (she is not very often with other dogs). Would appreciate any thoughts you have on this.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom