Vaccination of Dogs and Cats - Very Important Information

Deckard

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
If you want to travel within EU its acceptable to vaccinate against Rabies every 3 years , although some vets still maintain it at 1 year.
Rabies vaccine should be safe if administered at 4 months of age, its also done at 3 months in exceptional cases but I try to avaoid this whenever possible. The first vaccine should not cause any issues, for subsequent vaccines you can use homeopathic remedies should something happen. Thuja is a great remedy but over the years I learned that homeopathy shouldn't be used in "one size fits all manner". therefore I use homeopathy only if vaccinosis develops.
We have a group of remedies known as “vaccinosis remedies,” including silica, sulphur, mezereum, apis, sarsaparilla, etc.
Curing the vaccinosis state, like curing any chronic disease state, takes careful recognition of the patient’s symptoms, indicating how he is not well, and matching that ill state to a remedy capable of causing such a state, if it were taken in crude doses repeatedly.

When it comes to other vaccines- I recommend doing proper core immunization, Parvo, Distemper, CHV and Lepto. My protocol is to vaccinate at 8 weeks of age, booster after a month and then last booster after 6.5 months of age. This should give solid immunity that should last for years. We have a scientific proof now that immunity with these core vaccines ( except Leptospira whcih is the only bacterial diseases among those mentioned ) lasts for 3 years and possibly even much more. I recommend doing titer test after 3 years and then act accordingly. However reliability of leptospira vaccine has been subject of heated deate for years. I know for sure that none of the dogs I tested so far has satisfactory levels of antibodies 1 year after the vaccination. But I dont have large enough sample statistically speaking.
On the other hand i recently checked Rabies antibody titer in dog that hasn't been vaccinated for 7 years. Mandatory level for EU travel is minimum 0.5 umol/L - loo and behold this dog had 1.5umol/L!

Deckard

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
It seems the winds are changing
The Canine Vaccination Guidelines within the WSAVA Guidelines for the Vaccination of Dogs and Cats state that, while antibody testing still can be relatively expensive, “The principles of ‘evidence-based veterinary medicine’ suggest that testing for antibody status (for either puppies or adult dogs) should be better practice than simply administering a vaccine booster on the basis that this would be ‘safe and cost less.’”

Some dogs maintain antibodies for their entire lives to canine distemper, canine parvovirus, and canine adenovirus, said Dr. Ronald D. Schultz, professor of immunology and founding chair of the Department of Pathobiological Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine and an author of the WSAVA and AAHA guidelines.

In his controlled studies, he has found that dogs maintain immunity to CDV, CPV-2, and CAV seven to nine years after vaccination, as proved by protection against virulent challenge. He said, “The presence of active antibody response to these viruses is a clear indication of protection. There is no confusion on this point.”

https://www.avma.org/news/javmanews/pages/160701a.aspx

memeontheroof

A Disturbance in the Force
Thank you so much for the detailed information. I buy my dog vaccine at a veterinary supply store. I got his distemper/ parvo shot for $15 and administered it myself whereas it would have cost well over $250 at the vet. His last shot was around 3 years ago. I am in Canada and a lot of people are going to the veterinary supply pharmacy because the vets are just out of control with their fees . The only thing they won't dispense is the rabies vaccine because by law it has to be administered by a licensed vet. But it sounds like that's no loss because it is not needed anyway.

Deckard

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I disagree rabies vaccine is not needed. There is a solid body of evidence suggesting it provides good protection against this disease. In some countries its been almost completely eradicated thanks to oral bait vaccine given to wildlife. Rabies is terrible disease and the vaccine if properly used is pretty safe. In any case, I would rather have my dogs suffering side effects form the vaccine than risk them contracting this disease or even worse transmitting it to any human.

I know prices in America for vet services are high but 250 for vaccination visit sounds exaggerated. Information I have is that you can get it for 60$ on average. I dont think self administering vaccines is a good idea, for many reasons.

Top Bottom