Vegetarianism?

Dingo said:
Heimdallr said:
There was a similar spirited discussion a while ago on the forum about this subject - Meat, anyone?. It's also worth pointing out that, depending on blood type, one may or may not be best suited for meat or vegan lifestyles.

Thx, did read through parts of that thread. Are you aware of where I can find information regarding the blood types to eating lifestyles. For example, I am O+, I'd like to read up on this further.

I can tell you that being an O blood type myself, and having gone by the blood type diet for a while in the past, that you should be eating meat. If you have been living a vegan lifestyle, their may be internal chemistry issues which may show themselves in indirect ways, such as mood. Of course, every single person is different and you may be able to live without meat without any issues, but generally speaking O types should ingest meat at least 2-3 times per week.

Food For Thought: Meat-Based Diet Made Us Smarter
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128849908

Are we meat eaters or vegetarians? Part I
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-library/are-we-meat-eaters-or-vegetarians-part-i/

Are we meat eaters or vegetarians? Part II
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-library/are-we-meat-eaters-or-vegetarians-part-ii/

Dairy: 6 reasons you should avoid it at all costs
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/dairy-free-dairy-6-reason_b_558876.html

7 Reasons to Eat More Saturated Fat
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/06/06/saturated-fat/

The Truth About the China Study
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/China-Study.html

Just found out about this documentary coming out called Forks Over Knives. It basically pushes The China Study and the idea that meat is harmful to one's health and that one should eat a plant based diet. Seems like they're trying to further program the masses into providing more tasty food for 4D.

_http://www.forksoverknives.com/about/cast-and-crew/#FilmmakerBios

truth seeker said:
Just found out about this documentary coming out called Forks Over Knives. It basically pushes The China Study and the idea that meat is harmful to one's health and that one should eat a plant based diet. Seems like they're trying to further program the masses into providing more tasty food for 4D.

_http://www.forksoverknives.com/about/cast-and-crew/#FilmmakerBios

If it relies on the China Study, it relies on very bad science. Here are some posts that go into the details of its flaw:

The China Study II: Wheat may not be so bad if you eat 221 g or more of animal food daily
http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com/2011/05/china-study-ii-wheat-may-not-be-so-bad.html

Using the same data of the China Study, it basically shows how animal food consumption was protective against deadly wheat. Here are other posts that analyzes the data:

The China Study on Wheat
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/09/china-study-on-wheat.html

The China Study, Wheat, and Heart Disease; Oh My!
http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/09/02/the-china-study-wheat-and-heart-disease-oh-my/

The China Study: My Response to Campbell
http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/16/the-china-study-my-response-to-campbell/

The China Study - Polish a turd and find a diamond?
http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2010/7/8/the-china-study-polish-a-turd-and-find-a-diamond.html

I completely agree. Just wanted to clarify that this is a movie that promotes these ideas based on bad science and is propaganda.

Hello,

After being a vegetarian for 20 years, I recently changed teams, after reading The Vegetarian Myth (see thread). I was keen to test the meat eating option, give it a go, and to observe any changes.

I have a query re my progress - maybe to Psyche or anyone else that has a good understanding of diet and body things.

The change in particular that I am curious about is:

I have noticed improvement with my breathing when I run. I run around 10ks a week. It's not just the breathing, it's the strength and ease of body movement. Running is a lot more pleasureable and without some of the effort I once exerted.

I have considered that this most likely has to do with improved iron, so oxygen is moving to the blood system more efficiently - however, according to all tests previously, there was no deficiency with my iron levels.

What other interesting things could account for this?

The focus of my curiosity is that, I recently had an operation on my lungs, where a benign lump was removed. I have been wondering if there is a connection to vegetarianism, and funny how my breathing is amazingly clear now when I run, after eating meat.

iloveyellow said:
I have been wondering if there is a connection to vegetarianism, and funny how my breathing is amazingly clear now when I run, after eating meat.
Perhaps the human body adapts to what is necessary in order to acquire meat (in a traditional sense). Hunting animals require being able to run better, whereas harvesting plants do not. :)

That one is hilarious!

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PkQrJZYZN4

The World Peace Diet

A presentation by Will Tuttle, Ph.D..

Dr. Will Tuttle will present the main ideas in his book, The World Peace Diet. It has been called one of the most important books of the 21st century: the foundation of a new society based on the truth of the interconnectedness of all life. It is the first book to make explicit the invisible connections between our meals and our broad range of problemspsychological, social, and spiritual, as well as health and environmental. Dr. Tuttle offers powerful ways we can all experience healing and peace and contribute to a positive transformation of human consciousness.

Dr. Will Tuttle, acclaimed pianist, composer, educator, and author, has lectured and performed widely throughout North America and Europe. His doctorate degree from the University of California, Berkeley, focused on educating intuition in adults, and he has taught college courses in creativity, humanities, mythology, religion, and philosophy. He is a recipient of The Peace Abbey${q}s Courage of Conscience Award and is a Dharma Master in the Zen tradition. See worldpeacediet.org for more details.

Filming and editing by Dr William Harris M.D. on September 8, 2009 at Ala Wai Golf Course Clubhouse, Honolulu, Hawaii
Sponsored by: Vegetarian Society of Hawaii _http://www.vsh.org

God help us!

Dang I opened this thread six years ago :shock:

It took me a while but eating meat back again was the best decision for me, part of it because Mrs T. wanted to try it out just to see. Didn't made much sense to keep being a vegetarian after all the readings provided.

Thank you guys ;)

eoste said:
This is a lot more serious : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQCe4qEexjc&feature=youtu.be

Philip Wollen addresses the St James Ethics and the Wheeler Centre debate in Melbourne, this last springtime, in "Animals Should Be Off The Menu"

Yikes. So now the Vegans are going to be doing their best to make a case to the species that their diet will solve all the world's problems ... including 'global warming'. And they are going (it is clear) to push for an actual ban on the consumption (and one presumes cultivation) of animal flesh. I can also foresee an anti-meat campaign using similar methodologies to the anti-smoking campaign, introducing gradually increasing restrictions on the ability of people to raise and eat animals. But of course also drawing on the rhetoric of anti-sexism and, especially, anti-racism campaigns. His rhetoric makes me imagine a future in which drugs are quite legal, but where the apparatus that once enforced prohibition of recreational substances is turned instead on enforcing a ban on meat.

The logical consequence of this would be infirmity, plague, and mass death ... and it will be enforced with the kind of fanatical fervor that can arise only from ideological cadres convinced that what they do (and what they prevent others from doing) is completely righteous ... and hence relatively immune to the actual consequences of their actions as they become manifest. But meanwhile, such people never, ever seem to acknowledge the subjectivity of plants ... they seem to pretend that plants are mindless, and do not feel pain, and thus it is OK to eat them. This is not the case at all. Everything feels, senses, perceives, and knows ... in its own way, at its own level. Thus there is a moral imperative in our relationship to all things, not just to humans, not even just to the so-called 'animate', but to everything. Even to rocks. But they're so totally convinced of the higher morality of their diet that any hope of perceiving the higher morality of the living system they're embedded within is totally beyond them.

Thank god for the paleo community. It's grown a LOT in the past few years and they've been effectively countering vegan arguments ... their presence probably explains some of the increase in vehemence from the herbivores, who can sense their self-proclaimed moral high ground slipping away amongst precisely the back-to-the-land, organic-agriculture, activisty types they've historically made their most successful appeals to.

psychegram said:
... Thus there is a moral imperative in our relationship to all things, not just to humans, not even just to the so-called 'animate', but to everything...

Philip Wollen's arguments about domestic animals treatments are right.
It's really insane, psychopathic I'd say.
That's a main reason why more and more people are attracted to vegetarianism.
Now, it's about the same with everything else, be it about nature, agriculture or humans.
Vegans self-proclaimed moral has a very powerful appeal. Only that it focuses on one issue only, which for them is by the way related to all other issues. May be they are missing a bigger picture...

A co-worker recently recommended I watch "Forks Over Knives", so instead of wasting my time with that drivel, I did some digging and found this really detailed review of the film that blasts all of its false assumptions into smithereens:

Not that anyone here needed any evidence for what's wrong with the vegetarian/vegan arguments, but it's a neat self-contained very well researched and supported annihilation of that particular film and all its points. So if someone ever suggests that film to you, it's a handy and thorough link you could send them.

The electric car company will soon expand its vegan interior to include leather-free steering wheels, which has been a unique challenge to make vegan
June 14, 2019
Electric car company Tesla recently announced that its Model 3 and Model Y cars will become fully vegan next year. In 2017, the company eliminated all leather seat options from its vehicles and replaced them with all-vegan materials. However, the vehicles still come with a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

At a recent shareholders’ meeting, Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed to animal-rights charity People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) that the company is working to remove leather from steering wheels so that the vehicles will be entirely vegan. According to Musk, Tesla has created a non-heated synthetic leather steering wheel, but it is still working on a heated version.

Durability is a unique issue with steering wheels because of the various oils and other substances transferred from human hands to the steering wheel while driving. When PETA asked if any of Tesla’s products will be free of animal products by next year’s shareholder meeting,

Musk replied: “There might be the tiniest bit left, I’m not sure, but Model Y, Model 3, I think I’m confident about that.

We have a lot of things to solve but I think for sure the Model Y and the Model 3 [will be resolved] soon and you can also special order for the S and X.” In recent years, competing car companies such as Volvo, Audi, and Fisker, Inc. began producing vegan electric cars in an effort to meet growing demand for environmentally-conscious vehicles.

Meanwhile:

Got beef ?

Plant-Based Meat Maker Shows Off 'Impossible Burgers' at Redwood City Open House
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOx3_N4embE
Impossible Burger 2.0: How does it taste, is it safe and where can you get it?
www.cnet.com/how-to/impossible-burger-everything-you-need-to-know/

This plant-based burger looks and tastes like real beef, but is there a catch?
BY AMANDA CAPRITTO
MAY 31, 2019 9:50 AM PDT
Traditional meat-free burgers are made from some combination of soy, beans and lentils and texture is nothing like beef. The Impossible Burger is here to change that.

The Impossible Burger from Impossible Foods has everything a meat lover looks for in a burger: a slightly pink middle, juicy dribbles, a smoky flavor and the ability to get the characteristically charred crust that only a grilled burger can offer.

This meatless patty even bleeds like beef.

In fact, vegetarian CNET reporter Joan Solsman found it to be so meatlike that she couldn't even finish a sample. After not eating beef for more than a decade, she mumbled through a mouthful: "It's kind of grossing me out."

The other thing that might put you off about this cool, meatless burger? It's created in a lab, not in green pastures.

What is in the Impossible Burger?
Impossible Foods' unprecedented burger concoction is built on four ingredient foundations: protein, fat, binders and flavor.

The protein in an Impossible Burger isn't animal flesh; rather, it's a blend of soy and potato proteins. This is different from the Impossible Burger 1.0, which used wheat protein (Impossible Burger 2.0 is gluten-free). Soy has had a bad reputation with some, but Impossible's vice president of nutrition has some thoughts about common soy myths.

The juicy sizzle when an Impossible Burger hits the pan or grill comes from coconut and sunflower oils, the burger's fat sources. To hold everything together, Impossible Foods uses methylcellulose, a bulk-forming binder that also serves as a great source of fiber.

As for flavor, well, this is where things get interesting. Impossible Foods employs heme as the main flavor compound in its burger. Heme is an iron-containing compound found in all living organisms. Plants, animals, bacteria, fungi... if it's alive, it contains heme.

In animals, heme is an important part of the protein hemoglobin, which carries oxygen throughout your body via blood. Know how your mouth tastes metallic when you accidentally bite your lip? That's heme.

In plants, heme still carries oxygen, just not via blood. The Impossible Burger contains heme from the roots of soy plants, in the form of a molecule called leghemoglobin. Food scientists insert DNA from soy roots into a genetically modified yeast, where it ferments and produces large quantities of soy heme.

GMOs also have a bad rap, but read what this scientist has to say about genetically modified organisms (TL;DR: GMOs don't cause cancer, autism or any other illness they're claimed to cause).

What does it taste like?
The short answer: The Impossible Burger tastes like beef.

Remember that vegetarian whose stomach was repulsed by the Impossible tartare? That's because it tastes, smells and feels like real beef.

For vegetarians, vegans and probably the average omnivore, the Impossible Burger is an incredibly similar substitute for beef. For beef connoisseurs and picky eaters, Impossible is getting close, but may still have some work to do.

Where can I get an Impossible Burger?
Impossible rolled out the Burger 2.0 in about a dozen restaurants shortly after CES 2019. Since then, the company has made it available to all of its partners, and there are more locations serving Impossible's burger in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, Chicago and many other big cities.

Even if you don't live in or near a big metro area, you can still find Impossible Burgers. Many national chain restaurants are going to have them or already do, including Burger King and Red Robin. You can also find Impossible Burgers at regional chains, including White Castle and Umami Burger. Little Caesar's is the first pizza chain to put Impossible Burger sausages on a pizza, which is available in select locations.

You can use Impossible Foods' location finder to locate Impossible Burgers near you. By the end of the year, Impossible also plans to offer a "raw" version of its ground beef patties in grocery stores.

Just a note that as of June 2019, because of increased demand and the roll out of Impossible Burger to fast food restaurants, there is a currently an Impossible Burger shortage. Impossible Foods is working around the clock to meet the demand, and we'll let you know if and when the shortage ends.

How much does it cost?
Prices for an Impossible Burger vary from location to location, but these deceivingly meaty plant-based burgers generally cost more than a regular beef burger. At Red Robin, an Impossible cheeseburger costs $13.49, while the gourmet cheeseburger made of beef costs $9.99.

Impossible plans to roll out the raw version in grocery stores at a price comparable to prices for USDA premium ground beef.

Is the Impossible Burger safe?
You can safely eat an Impossible Burger unless you are allergic to soy, coconut or sunflower. The ingredients in Impossible Burgers are simple and free of any toxic additives, flavorings or artificial ingredients. The soy-based heme is approved by the FDA as safe to eat.

While the Impossible Burger is perfectly safe to eat, other countries have cracked down on what kind of language companies can use to label faux meat products. In 2018, France banned the terms burgers, steaks, sausages, or fillets from labels on vegan and vegetarian substitutes for meat products. The move was intended to alleviate any confusion shoppers might have distinguishing fake meat from the real thing.

What's the deal with glyphosate?
Impossible Foods' burger is made from genetically modified soy, and its characteristic "bleed" comes from soy leghemoglobin (which later turns to heme) that's made from genetically engineered yeast.

The FDA approved the leghemoglobin as safe, and there's no proof that genetically modified organisms cause disease, but some consumers worry about traces of glyphosate in Impossible Burgers, which comes from those genetically modified soybeans.

Glyphosate is an herbicide that's been linked to a significantly increased risk of cancer, but the US Environmental Protection Agency says the herbicide "is not likely to be carcinogenic to humans." Conflicting evidence and statements abound across research studies and regulatory agencies.

Moms Across America, a large consumer advocacy group that is anti-GMO, says it tested Impossible Burgers at Health Research Institute Laboratories and found "highly dangerous" levels of glyphosate in the patties.

In May 2019, Impossible Foods committed to using genetically modified soybeans, a choice the company says supports its mission of scaling to the point of eradicating animal agriculture for food by 2035 -- and a choice that likely sparked Moms Across America to launch its campaign.

In its unofficial company response to Moms Across America, Impossible Foods says the level of the herbicide detected is "almost 1000 times lower than the no-significant-risk level for glyphosate ingestion (1100 micrograms per day) set by California Prop 65."

The World Health Organization, the Food and Agriculture Organization and the US Environmental Protection Agency also have set safe daily limits for glyphosate exposure, but they are much higher than those of California Prop 65, so Impossible Burgers falls even further below the threshold for those agencies.

Is it healthier than beef?
As far as calories go, an Impossible patty and a typical beef patty are pretty close. A 4-ounce Impossible Burger 2.0 patty is 240 calories, whereas 4 ounces of ground beef ranges from about 250 to 300 calories, depending on the fat content.

Also, the Impossible Burger contains less cholesterol, sodium and fat than beef does, so it may be a good choice for you if you're watching those particular nutrients. Impossible Burgers also contain 3 grams of fiber per serving, whereas animal meat contains no fiber.

Because it's made from plants, the Impossible Burger contains a broader range of vitamins and minerals than beef does. But there is one thing no plant patty can match (yet) -- the protein content in animal meat. A 4-ounce serving of beef contains close to 30 grams of protein, while the Impossible Burger contains 19 grams.

Impossible Burger vs. Beyond Meat
Impossible Foods isn't the only company using plants in unconventional ways. Beyond Meat, another meatless meat company, makes burgers, sausages and crumbles out of plants. (Check out this list of meat alternatives for the grill.)

The Beyond Burger looks similar to the Impossible Burger in terms of color and consistency, but the Beyond Burger uses different ingredients. The main protein source in a Beyond Burger is pea protein, and its red color comes from beets. The beet juice is what gives the Beyond Burger the same "bleeding" effect as the Impossible Burger.

Beyond Meat's burger is available in a few restaurants and in grocery stores nationally. The cost varies by location, but a two-pack of burger patties generally costs $5.99.

Why eat meat substitutes?
In terms of health, research tells us that high intake of animal protein, especially red meat, is linked to a higher risk of weight gain, stroke, diabetes and heart disease.

However, the benefits of meat substitutes extend past the health of humans; they reach as far as the health of our entire planet.

Production of meat from livestock is thought to result in 10 to 40 times the amount of greenhouse gas emissions as production of plant crops. And according to the Environmental Working Group, the livestock agriculture process required for meat products releases those gases -- as well as manure, fuel and pesticides -- into our air and water.

Additionally, livestock is Earth's largest user of land, with about 80 percent of all farm land attributed to animal agriculture. This holds serious implications for erosion, water usage and even grain consumption -- the grain that feeds livestock could feed 800 million people.

In sum, products like those from Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat have the potential to impact a few pertinent things: human health, environmental sustainability and global resources.

Back
Top Bottom