Videos of strange and mysterious objects and other phenomena in the sky

Strange blue/purple light phenomenon photographed in the sky during a storm. In the Twitter thread, the user, who seems to be a professional photographer, is familiar with red sprites and the various other TLE's, but he and a discussion that follows are unable to identify what the phenomena is exactly:

The following iridescent cloud was captured on August 18th in China, and there are various images and videos going around of the event, some are apparently enhanced, however one user, a professional meteorologist, presents what he thinks is the original. Again, as with the previous image, a discussion follows in the thread:

Time: 2022.08.16 Location: Pu 'er City, Yunnan Province, China Photographer: JiaQi Sun(孫嘉琪)

Added: it's up on SOTT too: Spectacular rainbow-coloured scarf cloud stunned onlookers in Haikou, China -- Sott.net

Last edited:
Take a look at this video that has 4 interesting sightings. What do you think? All four don't look as obvious fakes. Well, the third one kind of does. But who knows. As for the plane in the first sighting, it's fascinating, even if there is nothing weird about it.

Take a look at this video that has 4 interesting sightings. What do you think? All four don't look as obvious fakes. Well, the third one kind of does. But who knows. As for the plane in the first sighting, it's fascinating, even if there is nothing weird about it.

That plane - now that is just plain weird all around! If it was stalled by a head wind that strong, it seems the pilot would try to tack at a different angle to move? Dunno, maybe they were enjoying it and knew it would shock folks on the ground. The square cloud- not sure what to think about that one.
The floating cylinder reminds me of Nomad from that Star Trek episode- and the last one, I agree with the presenter, that guy is annoying! No idea what it was but it looks pretty cool.

That plane - now that is just plain weird all around! If it was stalled by a head wind that strong, it seems the pilot would try to tack at a different angle to move? Dunno, maybe they were enjoying it and knew it would shock folks on the ground. The square cloud- not sure what to think about that one.
The floating cylinder reminds me of Nomad from that Star Trek episode- and the last one, I agree with the presenter, that guy is annoying! No idea what it was but it looks pretty cool.
Heres NomadBA110EA0-0DEC-4715-84D7-8CAB3DB93BD1.jpeg

The floating cylinder looks like a little (but not completely) to a 1,200 mm camera lens to me.
This one is a Nikon 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8P IF-ED:

images

What makes me skeptical right away is; he states the source of the first video as „Unknown“. What’s that supposed to mean? Surely he must have gotten the video from somewhere or in some way? If so, why doesn’t he state it? I see little reason why he couldn‘t state the source more concretely. Even if we would suppose that he wants to protect the privacy of the source/individual, I see no reason why he couldn’t say something like „I received it from a person via email who wants to be anonymous“ or something like that. Another possibility is that he and/or the people in his entourage are the source and he doesn’t want to disclose that because he and/or they know that they have faked it.

That first video is strange indeed... the banner though, kind of looks fake. But the airplane, not sure how to explain it, I would suspect that If the wind was strong enough to stop the airplane from moving forward, then we would expect to see lateral movement as the energy of both the wind, and the forward momentum of the airplane would meet in the middle and that energy would have to go somewhere... the fact that it's static to me implies fake or... something else altogether, a different phenomena.

the weirdest one to me, is the cube cloud... that one is odd.

For your consideration - rectangular and triangle-shaped clouds at different locations apparently photoed recently.
Starts at 6.28.

I don't wish to be dismissive, but i can't help to feel that videos like the one above are made in such a "spectacular" fashion that it (at least to me) gives me an opposite reaction. As if trying to squeeze out something that isn't there. And somehow, it doesn't really help, other than pouring more confusion to what may or may not indicate strangeness.

Personally I have seen cube shaped clouds on occasion, especially in autumn after cold air has swooped down the country and starts to stabilize; when the upper part of the cloud cover are limited by an inversion and the clouds can't expand in height any further. The Cu clouds can sometimes look "chopped off" on the upper side (as they typically already are on the lower side) - which together with the angle of illumination from the sun, make some cloud elements look cube shaped). So, in my book, it didn't look that odd, really. (albeit I can understand that in photos these can look more odd than to the naked eye).

Do you remember when we were kids and watched the clouds in the sky ? With all the lovely human imagination we've got, the childish entusiasm to point out things... oh, we could see so many things in the clouds...

I do not dismiss strangeness - but sometimes things are just made too spectacular in videos, reminding me a lot of annoying advertising on TV for a cheap "oh so great" products.

Do you remember when we were kids and watched the clouds in the sky ? With all the lovely human imagination we've got, the childish entusiasm to point out things... oh, we could see so many things in the clouds...
I had a similar impression, while I do see the straight lines that the video is mentioning, I also see his whole thing about growing wings a bit more like letting imagination run with the clouds, which is fairly common.

What I was thinking while watching it was that clouds are essentially water and water is easy to shape by either a physical object, or force.. so perhaps it's a phenomenon and not an object? I am thinking that perhaps electromagnetic forces could create a field that would shape clouds into square shapes... not an expert so I am not sure. But cubic clouds are strange in my experience, but it might not be a mother ship.

Or it might be, who knows.

One thought that comes to my mind, after reading what you wrote Alejo is, that a cloud seen from a certain angle on the ground - is one thing. And that the same cloud may not necessarily look the same, when you look at it from a different angle, or even in flight/at a height

I know that illumination (sunlight) plays a key role in how we perceive clouds. They can look very dramatic despite being just normal clouds, due to the shadows they create, especially when deep shadows appear.

We often have that here (in middle Sweden) in June, when a Cu or Sc Cloud cover persists during the bright midnight time, making them often look so ominous - albeit there are neither rain nor thunderstorms to speak of, but give the optical illusion of looking like a dangerous sky. So, light and shadows can play a lot with the shape and appearances of clouds. And i believe so does the perspective (locations on the ground or seem from higher altitude).

I am often baffled how different clouds look when i watch them from above from an airplane… sometimes so different that i barely recognize what kind of clouds they are.

What I don’t know personally, is the certain type of sense which in some people is enabled to perceive higher realities. How that would play in, when watching both normal as well unusual clouds. I mean how that would feel/look like - i have no experience of… unfortunately.

But i am very keen observer in anything that goes on in the sky; whether stars, clouds, aurora, weather, shapes, movements, sounds, to the sense of light and shadows etc.

It has been a natural part of my photography for the past 30 years. Albeit i am not “chasing after” things. I am just open to anything i see in the skies, when i step out of the house or onto the balcony, or when the light levels change while indoors, i often sense that, and go out to check what is going on … yet, it is all very 3D i do ;-) But there too, visual ‘magic’ can be seen sometimes. The beauty of it.

For your consideration - rectangular and triangle-shaped clouds at different locations apparently photoed recently.
Starts at 6.28.

Thank you! That's fascinating.

While I was not able to capture it at the moment, I've seen a triangle-shaped cloud like the one shared in the video, I think it was at the end of last June. It was mindblowing. I didn't let it out of my sight the whole time it kept that shape. Then it seemed to melt into the cloud in the background, before "vanishing". Of course I regret not having taken a photo or film of it, but I don't regret having been able to observe it to its fullest: I just felt grateful for this very peculiar moment.

I had a similar impression, while I do see the straight lines that the video is mentioning, I also see his whole thing about growing wings a bit more like letting imagination run with the clouds, which is fairly common.

What I was thinking while watching it was that clouds are essentially water and water is easy to shape by either a physical object, or force.. so perhaps it's a phenomenon and not an object? I am thinking that perhaps electromagnetic forces could create a field that would shape clouds into square shapes... not an expert so I am not sure. But cubic clouds are strange in my experience, but it might not be a mother ship.

Or it might be, who knows.

Clouds have always been an attraction to me since I was a little girl. Over time, I have learned to look at them differently, without trying to find shapes that my brain would identify as resembling the shapes of objects or animals (even if it still happens to me and it is often at first sight, before I start to contemplate them just for the delight of contemplating them). From years now, I focus much more on the play of light and contrast that "gives consistency" to the clouds and makes them seem much more (though I don't know how exactly) than what I thought they were before, just water vapour and eventual rain bearers.

Anyway, for a long time, since I have a very, very large view on sky from home, I have the feeling that some electromagnetism force could be able to shape clouds in certain manner, especially when they are here and there as spots on the background of the sky (whether it is blue or not, but more often evident when it is blue) and arranged in a lateral line at the same depth. Because, to me, and I've noticing this a million times, these clouds often seem to have the almost same shape, like it is a repetiting shape almost identical from one cloud to the next (as long as they seem to be on the same depth line from the observer point of view and that they are not too far to the right and left of my vision).

It looks as a pattern that repeats itself in a specific area, as subjected to some force there; as I have often found myself turned towards the sky, just looking without expectation, I notice that the shape can and does seem to change for each of the clouds present on the same depth line. Also sometimes, on two or three different depth lines (further and further away from the viewer, when the clouds are placed on several horizontal lines which continue towards the horizon with the size of the clouds decreasing due to the distance), the shapes look the same but are just smaller the further the cloud depth line is from the viewer.

All this without forgetting the Henrik Svensmark's work:

For French readers, there is this Best Of Web on fr.sott.net:
Balade dans les nuages avec le physicien Svensmark — MàJ : Le rayonnement cosmique contribue à la formation des nuages

Also this from a French source, the very same used to update the Sott article:
The CLOUD experiment

Henrik Svensmark's work caught the attention of Jasper Kirkby, a researcher at CERN, the world's leading particle physics laboratory based in Geneva, in 2006. Jasper Kirkby is behind an experiment using a CERN particle accelerator to study the possible link between galactic cosmic rays and cloud formation in the laboratory. The experiment, called CLOUD [6], uses a fog chamber powered by the PS (Proton Synchrotron), an artificial source of cosmic rays that simulates natural conditions. A beam of particles is sent into a reaction chamber; its effects on aerosol production are then analysed.

Then,

An experimental study by H. Svensmark et al (Technical University of Denmark) published on 19 December 2017 in the journal Nature Communication shows that cosmic radiation contributes strongly to the formation of clouds influencing the climate of our planet.

This study was discussed five years ago on Watts Up With That? (as well as it is dicussed in French in the link provided above about the French source used for updating the Sott article):
New paper: The missing link between cosmic rays, clouds, and climate change on Earth

"Instead of seeing clouds as a consequence of the climate, it is actually about showing that the climate derives from the clouds, because the clouds receive their orders from the stars." ~ Svensmark, The Chilling Stars, written with Nigel Calder.

Also this video with Henrik Svensmark & Jacob Svensmark in which they "discuss the connection between cosmic rays, clouds and climate" :

Finally, some of the crop circles are apparently fields of wheat (most often?) shaped by a "force" (electromagnetic one and/or cosmic radiation, or else?) to obtain this or that shape, deliberately. Why not clouds? For me, the question remains open, whether that would be deliberate or not—note that it could be both, we don't know: here deliberate and elsewhere not deliberate. Just a thought FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom