Visit the International Space Station (ISS)

Hello!
The hair of the female astronauts appears heavily lacquered. Notice how it just bounces around a little but retains it's form, right down to individual strands that are shaped into curls. It should flow around similar to how hair does underwater but no matter what angle or velocity she assumes their hair retains the same form, even when the brushes it back. Does NASA and the ESA ship cans of hairspray up to the ISS at $15000 a kilo? Perhaps it's a the regulation NASA hair do, love to see their hair product budget, do corporations sponsor them?

This video compares the bouffant ISS hairstyles to their terrestrial versions.
Cady Coleman's bad hair day, watch at 1:25 as she starts to rise up and assume a horizontal position, hair stays the same. Looks like shes in the 'vomit comet' and it's banking during it's zero G phase.
Even fashion conscious space ladies with trendy bobs feel the need to gel, wax and spray their short tresses into submission. Look at the way her hair moves, quite earth-like to me. Watch the video through and see if you notice anything else out of order as she explains her LEO beauty regime.

Something not quite right here!

Cheers, Brewer

Watch the video through and see if you notice anything else out of order as she explains her LEO beauty regime.
Why don't you just point out what you are referring to?
Something not quite right here!
Seem alright to me. Hair can be different in strength and thus move differently. The comparison pictures also show the people with different hair length. And the more curly hair of Catherine Coleman will be naturally more stable.
An why would they perm or lacquer their hair to simulate gravity if they even have stuff floating around? :rolleyes:

Why don't you just point out what you are referring to?

Hi, to clarify I've only just begun looking closely at the ISS videos, beforehand I simply enjoyed the time-lapse videos of the earth from space. I'm not heavily invested in the ISS and became interested only when I began looking at it's engineering and noticed something off about the interviews with the crew members.

At 1:00 she demonstrates the towels. The smaller one looks heavily starched and bounces like her heavily gelled hair, the larger half rolled towel swings like it does on Earth, wouldn't the freely swinging end move up and stay up as she moved her hand one way then kink as she reverses the movement? Do the same with a towel at home, very similar result. Go to 4:05, as she closes the water bag valve and places it on the wall two water droplets escape, the first heads diagonally downwards at some speed to the left the other glides gracefully downwards after the bag is secured on the wall, if it was zero G wouldn't it float around? If it was the flicking action of the straw it'd be unlikely to propel it downwards. Go to 4:25 and watch for object that falls from above her right shoulder and disappears when it reaches her arms. Looks like a water droplet that's been attached to the ceiling that fell when gravity returned, if the droplet was suspended in mid air it would've begun falling as soon as the gravity began returning and would've been slower, this object falls close to 1 G according to experiments I did at home. See attached pix but watch the video.

Seem alright to me. Hair can be different in strength and thus move differently. The comparison pictures also show the people with different hair length. And the more curly hair of Catherine Coleman will be naturally more stable.
An why would they perm or lacquer their hair to simulate gravity if they even have stuff floating around? :rolleyes:
I came of age in the 80's, I know my hair product! Individual hairs may adhere into ropes and strands due to electrical forces, natural curls
or the addition of a little product but the ISS ladies have gone overboard. There's plenty of videos of civilians on day trips to the zero G plane rides, look at the women's hair, one link is provided below, have a look at more, the are plenty available, there's even a Jersey or Valley Girl applying make up on the vomit comet but it's too irritating to share!

Why would they lacquer their hair when things float around? If they're in a zero G plane, performing experiments and filming continuously they need the hair to remain upright to maintain the illusion of zero G as the plane bottoms out and rises for the next zero G session. Look at Cady in the Waking Up video, link below at 1:25 she becomes unstable and by 1:38 she's hanging on for dear life with a facial expression to match! Then at 1:46 she can let go only to have anchor herself a few seconds later, then by 2:00 she's on her feet again, that space station is capable of some wild moves! One more thing, that hair would be a liability in an environment like that, put it in a bun or wear a hat, I work for the fire and ambulance services, it's mandatory and with good reason. Curious too is their lack of discipline when it comes to throwing water around in a place loaded with scientific instruments and life support devices, even a terrestrial house has a designated and sealed wet area to avoid damage to the other areas, they don't seem to care. Overall their housekeeping looks sloppy, would be nice to ask the C's what they think.

Thanks everybody!

Been browsing the 'net for ISS videos and find them most amusing, one of my favorite astronauts is Don Petitt, a chemical engineer who was the ISS's 'science and fix it guy'. He's hilarious to watch in interview and I've put some of his quotes in upper case between his first and last names, Google them and put them into context, they're hilarious! Scary too, when you consider he goes to space, I wouldn't go with him! In the vid below you'll see them opening a hatch to a dragon space capsule. There's the possibility that there are toxic atmosphere in the new capsule so they have to check it out. I can't see any sign of fakery and I'd say they're actually in orbit but their safety protocols are pathetic. Starting from 1.17, Don 'I'D GO TO THE MOON IN A NANOSECOND' Petitt unlocks the hatch, it possible that toxic gases are present so they wear paper dust masks and a cartridge filter:- not breathing apparatus (BA)! At 1.27 the hatch is swung open and they enter, 2.00 blue shirt guy (BSG) has a gas detector (GD) probe and starts fiddling with it showing it to Don 'IT'S CALLED REALLY GOOD ENGINEERING' Petitt. The GD itself is wedged under his left armpit and it appears BSG has no idea how to assemble it! I'm an emergency services worker, every crew member on my truck knows how to use a GD and the proper safety gear, doesn't seem to apply in the ISS where you just can't step outside for fresh air! At 2.50 BSG is still struggling, even asks the bald guy (BG) outside for help, BG seems to be wearing a surgical mask which won't protect him from dust let alone toxic gases. At 4.00 with the assistance of Don 'AND THEN THERE'S PROBABLY A PLAN' Petitt progress is finally achieved, the probe is attached and at 5.00 and appears to be operational. For the next 2 minutes he proceeds to gently wave it around in front of him then removes the probe with Don 'UM, THEN WE HAVE A LEAK' Petitt's help (again) who appears to have lost something, his credibility? NASA's lost moon tech? ;-). Summing up, wrong protective gear, no BA, no helmets or gloves. GD should have been assembled, calibrated and prepped before hatch opening. Hatch should have been cracked and atmosphere sampled, not swung wide open. Hatch should be designed so an external GD probe could be inserted without the module's air mixing. Improper use of GD, should be taken to every nook and cranny of the new vessel for sampling and with hatch closed behind them to prevent mixing. Non essential personnel nearby. Every ISS astronaut should know how to use safety gear but it seems crude at best. Seems like NASA's safety protocols and build quality haven't progressed since Apollo 1 when Gus Grissom hung a lemon on the command module! This video is fake. The ISS is there but I doubt whether it's fully and continuously staffed. Cheers

Another oddity for the International Space Station.

Emergency alarms rang through the International Space Station (ISS) early this morning after Russian cosmonauts woke up to the smell of smoke and burning plastic, according to the Russian space agency Roscosmos.

The alarm reportedly went off in the Zvezda service module, part of the Russian Orbital Segment of the ISS, at 4:55 am Moscow time on Thursday, September 9 during automatic battery charging. Cosmonauts flicked on the air purification system and went back to sleep. The problem appears to have been resolved, for now, and life on board the ISS is carrying on as normal.

A scheduled spacewalk by the Russians to continue outfitting the Nauka Multipurpose Laboratory Module is still set to go ahead today, according to NASA. (You can watch it here.)

“All systems are operating normally, the composition of air on board the station corresponds to the standard indicators. The crew continues regular training for today's spacewalk,” confirmed Roscosmos.

However, this is not the first event that has highlight how the ISS is starting to show its age. The station has been continuously occupied for over 20 years, but the last few years have seen humankind's "home away from home" pick up increasingly more signs of wear and tear. Just last month, a senior Russian engineer raised concerns that cracks have appeared on the Zarya module of the ISS. There has also been the recurring mystery of drill holes appearing in certain modules of the space station.

Tensions between the US and Russia back home on planet Earth have also soured the situation on the space station. In June, Dmitry Rogozin, top dog at Roscosmos, suggested Russia could withdraw from the ISS as early as 2025 unless Washington lifted sanctions that were affecting the agency’s work.

Dropping hints? I get the feeling they've been doing this for a few years now and passing it off as real!

NASA Beamed a Doctor to The ISS in a World-First 'Holoportation' Achievement​

PETER DOCKRILL
19 APRIL 2022
There's never been a house call quite like this. In a first for telepresence communication, a NASA flight surgeon was 'holoported' to the International Space Station (ISS), appearing and conversing as a virtual presence in real time, hundreds of miles above the surface of Earth.

If it sounds like Star Trek, you're not too far off. (After all, Star Trek: Voyager did feature an artificial physician who was a holographic projection.)
But this isn't science fiction. When NASA flight surgeon Josef Schmid was beamed up to the ISS in October of last year, the illusion was made possible thanks to Microsoft's 'holoportation' technology, which lets users interact with 3D representations of remote participants in real time.
"This is [a] completely new manner of human communication across vast distances," says Schmid. "It is a brand-new way of human exploration, where our
human entity is able to travel off the planet."

LINK

Back
Top Bottom