Walter Leslie Wilmshurst; the Fulcanelli of Freemasonry?

T.C. said:
I have this "masonic-Work-teacher-i"

It's tough. It's very similar to everyday life. Having to pretend around any other person that everything is how it seems. But I don't seem to have a problem with the silence required for everyday life - it's just this masonic thing. I'd go so far as to call it a yearning.

I yearn to teach. I yearn share my discovery.

I think it is vitally important that you consider that your self-importance is running your thinking - you are dreaming that you are awake and have something to 'teach' -- --  and nothing more.

T.C. said:

I think it's a tragedy that Freemasons don't understand its esoteric significance. I wish I could do something about this. I fantasise about standing in the lodge and giving what masons call a lecture, based on the Work in relation to Freemasonry, in the hope of rekindling the fire that it lacks.

I agree with anart. Consider that if you really understood the Work you wouldn't condone your fantasies of self-importance.

As an exercise, I suggest you imagine someone else telling you that he understood what the rest of us did not, and that he just wishes he could lecture us. What would you think of that person's inner state?

In other words, what do you think that the Universe - as the ultimate objective observer - thinks of you and your fantasies?

anart said:
I think it is vitally important that you consider that your self-importance is running your thinking - you are dreaming that you are awake and have something to 'teach' -- -- and nothing more.

Windmill knight said:
I agree with anart. Consider that if you really understood the Work you wouldn't condone your fantasies of self-importance.

Where can I take this? How can I work with this? I know from self observation that what you both say is the absolute truth. When those kind of thoughts come into my head, I see them immediately for what they are.

I kinda expect the facts to change the way I feel. I can often see beliefs I hold dear and say to myself, "that contradicts the facts", but there is little or no inner change.

Is it a slower process than how I envisage it? If I respond to my fantasies by telling myself the truth over and over again, with persistence, will it eventually have an effect?

As an exercise, I suggest you imagine someone else telling you that he understood what the rest of us did not, and that he just wishes he could lecture us. What would you think of that person's inner state?

Yes. Self important, fanatical, egotistical, mad, manipulative, inconsiderate... possibly Ponerised and Ponerogenic?

fwiw:
T.C. said:

I think it's a tragedy that Freemasons don't understand its esoteric significance. I wish I could do something about this. I fantasise about standing in the lodge and giving what masons call a lecture, based on the Work in relation to Freemasonry, in the hope of rekindling the fire that it lacks.
I think that when you have a "fantasy",idea or thought you should ask yourself the question: is this My idea or not? What is the reason behind this idea?
It reminds me of what the C's and Laura say here:

Q: That means that through other people they can control our thoughts and emotions, put ideas into our heads, and we think it is a good idea to "save" someone. You just don't know! It is taught in our religions and culture to give until it hurts, and, in fact, to give because it hurts. And you are saying that the whole situation is designed and controlled from another level?

A: Once you have truly learned the program, just plug it in. We mean that all you have to do is learn the patterns of behavior, the subtle signs, and you will always have the ability of avoiding it. Your own as well as others. Anticipate not!

If you have an urge to speak up, try to say no, try to Decide yourself what you want to do, perhaps you are merely doing what you think is the "right thing to do", maybe you don't Choose the things you really want to do (I could be wrong though). I think it's important to first help yourself before you want to try to "help" others.Then you might try some of your ideas, but the truth is, the road is very long and you don't know yourself. When I'm around people I'm also silent and I also pretend that I don't "know" much, but I don't see this as a "negative thing" from myself, because this way I try to respect the free will of others and suppress the I or thoughts in me that want to be different, that want to speak out and "unconsciously" determin the needs of another. Perhaps you can see it as a choice, rather as a "false act".

Everyone has their own discoveries, their own path. They are all learning their own lessons, perhaps they are not ready to learn what you have learnt or are learning (or perhaps they already have). You could also view it that way.

T.C. said:
I kinda expect the facts to change the way I feel. I can often see beliefs I hold dear and say to myself, "that contradicts the facts", but there is little or no inner change.
Perhaps the change "comes" when you choose.

T.C. said:
anart said:
I think it is vitally important that you consider that your self-importance is running your thinking - you are dreaming that you are awake and have something to 'teach' -- -- and nothing more.

Windmill knight said:

Where can I take this? How can I work with this? I know from self observation that what you both say is the absolute truth. When those kind of thoughts come into my head, I see them immediately for what they are.

Consider what part of you realizes this and what part drives the imaginings. If they are different, of course it will go on.

If you realize the nature of the fantasies in thought while remaining identified in feeling, then you'll have to somehow communicate your understanding from your thought to your feeling.

This will require some sort of inner effort, which will likely result in noticeable friction.

OSIT.

TC said:

Is it a slower process than how I envisage it? If I respond to my fantasies by telling myself the truth over and over again, with persistence, will it eventually have an effect?

You've received some good input, and I think that it's also important to remember that your life is a reflection of who you are, as is your health and your mental processes. For this reason, almost always, making efforts to improve your life situation and your health results in improvements in your inner world as well. Everything is connected. With this in mind, perhaps putting more thought and effort into yourself and your life might be much more beneficial than putting thought and effort into the masons or other people's understanding and how you can 'improve' that. I think you get the gist of that, but you are not able to stop yourself from the mental wanderings. Perhaps the next time you feel the 'yearning', if you can stop and realize it is not to be directed to other people, but to yourself and your own life state - then that might make a difference? fwiw.

anart said:
TC said:

You've received some good input, and I think that it's also important to remember that your life is a reflection of who you are, as is your health and your mental processes. For this reason, almost always, making efforts to improve your life situation and your health results in improvements in your inner world as well. Everything is connected. With this in mind, perhaps putting more thought and effort into yourself and your life might be much more beneficial than putting thought and effort into the masons or other people's understanding and how you can 'improve' that. I think you get the gist of that, but you are not able to stop yourself from the mental wanderings. Perhaps the next time you feel the 'yearning', if you can stop and realize it is not to be directed to other people, but to yourself and your own life state - then that might make a difference? fwiw.

I would start where anart is suggesting, by taking care of the biggest issues in your life that may have a toxic effect on your thinking and other areas.

Then, I think that the inner struggle should be a combination of increasing the understanding of your programs (why do I do/think/feel this way? where does it come from?), and yes, persistently reminding yourself again and again of the truth that hurts and making a disciplined effort to behave responsibly in regards to that truth.

That is at least how I try to manage my own programs.

Hi mkrnhr:

And if you want to talk about the Work...

Thanks for your ideas and input. By considering your suggestion, it has helped me to realise that I don't want to talk about the work to other people.

Oxajil:

Yes, self remembering, impartial observation and nonidentification are strong weapons in the fight for objectivity.

Everyone has their own discoveries, their own path.

You've reminded me of a lot of important concepts; thank you.

Csayeursost:

If you realize the nature of the fantasies in thought while remaining identified in feeling, then you'll have to somehow communicate your understanding from your thought to your feeling.

This will require some sort of inner effort, which will likely result in noticeable friction.

Yes, good points and good addition to Oxajil's advice. Thank you.

Anart:

I've taken a lot from your post, but the main thing I have got from it so far is that, I entertain grandiose fantasies because I'm not happy with my life and who I am, and that if I work to become someone who I like being - someone I can be proud of - then I won't have to dream about being something I'm not.

and Windmill knight:

Thanks for your sound advice, and for emphasising that there is always a lot of work to do and we should always strive to learn and apply.

T.C.

This is a most beautiful discussion, though I think I am out of my league, I have enjoyed the sharing of ideas on the subject. I, like T.C. have read Walter Leslie Wilmshurst and found him quite inciteful and thought that this should be immediately introduced in my lodge, so that all could be brought up to speed on "the true meaning of freemasonry." But thanks to you all, I now recognize what i need to do.

Back
Top Bottom