What are you listening to?

"They Do It"
VACCUM

Interesting lyrics... from a Swedish Band with the song released 2004, and Krister Linder is also in there.

They do it, they did it
They do it again
So ordinary
But just not me

I've seen through the dream-time
A world upon it's knees
Weaving a vast web of lifelines
Into a giant key

For the paper-god
And a world as thin
Little man goes blind
For the light within
Like a dragons breath
Over concrete walls
Comes the kiss of death
To the lips of all

They do it, they did it
They do it again
So ordinary
But just not me

Here we go

They do it, they did it
They do it again
So ordinary
But just not me

I'm one in a million
But everyone's the one
We're the chrome and the silver
Reflecting our sun

Some have come to shine
From the roofs and streets
Wizards of the word
Pilgrims of the beat
Some have seen the seers
Some have heard their call
Through the ether, to your speaker
It goes out to all

Tell them K

"An Ordinary Day"
by JAMES HORNER

The Life Before Her Eyes (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Extremely beautiful, ethereal/spherical flowing "distant" music. You can hear resembling tones also in the movie Titanic ("Distant Memories" and "Ocean of Memories") clearly showing the signature of brilliant James Horner. For unknown reasons, I seem to be drawn to this kind of music... as if it attracts the soul to tunes which lie beyond what meets the eye ? I don't know...

You're not an orphan Benjamin, was also surprised by how strongly the Hu song reminded me of something Nordic, as opposed to Mongolian!

Felt like it wouldn't have been out of place on the soundtrack to 'Vikings' actually:-)

You actually brought up an interesting thought for me. The Hu popularize throat singing using the framework of rock music (similar to what A Tribe Called Red did with Native American music (eg: Stadium Pow Wow), but this is a bit different and not quite where I'm going. In the cases of Heilung (my post) and your post from 'Vikings', it makes me wonder if the music (the 'feeling' is what I'm getting at) really sounded that way. I understand that these examples are an interpretation obviously, but it's the interpretation that's my sticking point.

Why does "ancient music" (at least in these two cases) 'feel' this way. Do we expect this is the way it was? Is this what people want the music to sound like? I'll give an example:

Bookjunkie posted a comment on the Heilung video saying: "You know what's wrong with today's society? No one drinks out of the skulls of their enemies anymore..."

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 11.48.40 AM.png

The 1 year old comment received more then 20K likes, the most I've seen any comment to get there, as well as the most replies.

For comparison, the 2nd most liked comment is at least 2 years old, receiving more then 17K likes, is from Johnathan Bravo (Johnathan Jones) saying: "Only A.D. 490's kids will remember this."

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.00.18 PM.png

The poster 'Bookjunkie' shows his/her mind (that is, if they were being serious) about conquest and subsequently wanting to drink out of skulls of enemies believing that this will solve all of life's problems. But still, this music for that person inspires such thoughts even if the music is going in a totally different direction (did Bookjunki even understand the lyrics?). The music seems to inspire a certain version (?) of history, and I wonder if it is accurate or if "we" just want it to be. (This idea is a bit messy for me to put into words. Sorry if it's unclear.)

As a lighter footnote there are many silly comments to the Heilung video but I liked this one from AlbinoBadGuy: "I watched this one night with me cat sitting next to me. In the morning, my cat brought me 3 squirrels, 2 birds and a Deer." :lol:

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.17.31 PM.png

As a lighter footnote there are many silly comments to the Heilung video but I liked this one from AlbinoBadGuy: "I watched this one night with me cat sitting next to me. In the morning, my cat brought me 3 squirrels, 2 birds and a Deer."

Gold :-)

Yes I think I get what you're saying also, there's certainly something subconscious going on when I listen to this kind of thing - visceral almost.

'Valhalla' calling I guess?

The Hu's intro from Yuve Yuve Yu probably put it into words better than I can;

It has been so long eating and drinking being merry
How strange how strange
Taking our Great Mongol ancestors names in vain
How strange how strange
Yet, would not honor our oath and destiny
How strange how strange
Why the valuable ethics of ancestors become worthless?
How strange how strange

Love that they cover Metallica too....my kind of guys :love:

For those still not sure what throat singing is all about, scroll to 5.50 minute mark of the video below to hear for yourself. Clearest example so far, OSIT. :wow:

If anyone likes that, they may like this:

There's lots of great traditional music on that channel.

I'd recommend the below album too, it's not all throat singing, but it's a nice variety of styles and songs - i'm pretty sure the group are well known too:

These throat singing examples are really interesting to listen to and they made me remember a song that I heard in the movie Baraka. I found the song I was thinking of by David Hykes and the Harmonic Choir. It's something called 'polyphonic overtone' singing (wiki). There's already a post in this thread made back in 2011.

Here's the song that is featured in the movie Baraka (sorry, this version is from the 'Blade' movie soundtrack but it's good quality and not edited):

"Rainbow Voice" (from the album Hearing Solar Winds (1982, 7:54 mins.))

"INNAN VI FALLER" • BEFORE WE FALL
by Lisa Nilsson and Jocke Berg
[2015]

This is a ballade on the heavy / dramatic side - sung in Swedish about the Fall of Sweden - by one of our most beloved artists, Lisa Nilsson and Jocke Berg. It is an astonishing song which (at least to me) gives me goose pimples all over - especially when I let the text sink in deeper. I remember that Lisa Nilsson performed this song in front of the King and Queen of Sweden during the Nobel Prize Ceremony at the City Hall of Stockholm back in 2015.

But It was later I realized the significance of the text - as I started to awake back in 2016 - and with that also realized the Fall of Sweden and the consequences went far deeper - into a version, that has nothing in common with the Sweden I/we experienced back in the 80s (I moved from Berlin to Stockholm in 1984). Two Sweden like Day and Night, totally different countries.

Before we Fall
Innan Vi Faller

We’re moving close to the world’s abyss
You throw a stone into the steamy water
Half way but we are nowhere
We are lost again, we only flow with the streams

What we swore to remember, we forgot
What we should have forgotten, we remembered
If there is any point with hiding

if would be, that we can disappear into our dreams

We had everything
Once upon a time, everything this, was ours
Before we fall into each others arms
- we shall fall apart

We laid down a little rose on her grave
And remembered when she said:

"The new Sweden is cruel, stingy. And ugly.
But life is short, too short to waste it away
Leave hate to the vultures"

Everything we should have saved, we threw away
Everything we had learned, we repressed
Oh Oh everything we should have talked about, we hid away
Everything we said we would remember, we forgot

We, who had everything
Once upon a time, all this was ours
- We shall fall apart

We had everything
Once upon a time, all this was ours

- We shall fall apart

I have loved this song since it's release last year. The official video was dark, and had a more negative vibe to it.
This Video gives it a Vintage Sexy treatment that is Amazing, in my opinion!

Back
Top Bottom