What are you listening to?

Just a note after the above post,

When in college I think Shostakovich became one of my favorite composers.
Maybe there is something different about Shastacovich that shows in his music like this Wikipedia quote:

Steinberg tried to guide Shostakovich on the path of the great Russian composers, but was disappointed to see him 'wasting' his talent and imitating Igor Stravinsky and Sergei Prokofiev. Shostakovich also suffered for his perceived lack of political zeal, and initially failed his exam in Marxist methodology in 1926.

For some reason I love almost all genres of music including "rap" (in some ways a form of poetry) as long as there are some musical elements included. Recently, my son noticed a concert locally in State College, PA for a Pat Metheny concert because I mentioned him as a great guitarist. Now with all the Covid restrictions I do not know how difficult it may be to attend this performance. Not to be negative but it may give us pause for reflection how wonderful music is when unencumbered by restriction and/or oppression.

The requirements for attendance is the following:
You acknowledge that proof of a negative test or COVID-19 vaccination and matching photo ID is required to attend this event. COVID-19 policies and protocols may be subject to change. Please check the event page for details.*

So if I am to attend I need a negative PCR test. As the Cs said there are not many of us who will escape the influence of this evil agenda.

Here is one song by Pat Metheny.

Singer-songwriter Les Emmerson (leader of Five Man Electrical Band), whose anti-establishment anthem "Signs" became a staple of 1970s rock radio, has died at 77 - (17 September 1944 – 10 December 2021) .

"Signs", by Canadian rock group The Five Man Electrical Band (formerly The Staccatos), was written by lead vocalist Les Emmerson. It was released as a B-side single in 1970 from their "Good-byes and Butterflies" album and then re-released as an A-side single in 1971 where it reached #3 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart who ranked it as the No. 24 song for that year. It is reported to have sold more than 2 million copies worldwide, earning a gold award, and has become the band's signature recording. The lyrics are intended to give voice to those without power or property rights, which in many cases were young people. Emmerson wrote the song after taking a road trip on Route 66 in California where he noticed a scores of billboards that obscured the beautiful scenery begging the question: "Who is allowed to put up signs that interfere with nature, and who gets to make the rules that appear on them?"
And the sign says "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I put my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that, huh, me working for you"

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

And the sign says "Anybody caught trespassing will be shot on sight"
So I jumped the fence and I yelled at the house
Hey! What gives you the right!
To put up a fence and keep me out, or to keep Mother Nature in
If God was here, he'd tell it to your face, man, you're some kind of sinner

Oh, say now mister, can't you read
You got to have a shirt and tie to get a seat
You can't watch, no you can't eat, you ain't supposed to be here

And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" - uh!

And the sign says "Everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray"
But then they passed around a plate at the end of it all
And I didn't have a penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "Thank you Lord for thinking 'bout me, I'm alive and doing fine", oh

“'Shed My Skin’ revolves around dealing with inevitable changes in life. It is about becoming the person we are meant to be, even if that means losing people we love, but have grown apart from. Real growth begins where comfort zones end and that’s exactly what the song is all about: if we don’t change, we don’t grow. If we don’t grow, we aren’t really living,” – Sharon.

Back
Top Bottom