What are you listening to?

Been listening again to my favourite music from my late teens.. albums I played incessantly, electronic listening music from the UK mostly.. Remembering how it made me feel back then, how much it inspired me... Some of it I still love, like

Hold out for love (link for YT)

This is the ninth song of the album The Great White Sea Eagle, played by James Yorkston and Nina Persson, along with the Second Hand Orchestra, which is one of the best albuns I've ever heard, considering the atmostphere, the lyrics and the whole package of melody/harmony.

Personally, I find difficult to stop hearing all 12 songs included in the album, in order from the first to the last. The collection is intimate and at the same time universal in its appeal, dealing with family themes and relationships and with personal and social issues, shared with a vein of compassion and humor that I can't quite describe better that to say it's very touching and beautiful, all of it. Also some songs are sung by both Yorkston and Persson, and their voices complement each other very well.

Here is a review of the full album:

Review

When James Yorkston started writing these songs on piano, he didn't know where he was going. But he knew where he'd been. The acclaimed songwriter and author stands behind a beautiful body of work and is carrying a tailwind from records with Yorkston/Thorne/Khan and The Second Hand Orchestra, alongside recent recognition for his second novel The Book of Gaels. But it’s these 12 weary waltzes and bright ballads, written gazing upon the sea from the window of his Cellardyke studio, that will find their way into your heart forever.

Recording again with The Second Hand Orchestra's Karl-Jonas Winqvist, Yorkston is joined at the mic here by Cardigans singer Nina Persson. It's a match made in heaven when the light in Persson's voice gets into the cracks of Yorkston's baritone. But the heart of this record resides in the solitary darkness of songs such as the devastating A Sweetness In You, written for Frightened Rabbit’s late Scott Hutchison. 'I think of him often as I look out to the sea / And I live by the coast' is a noble line to write about someone lost in such tragic circumstances. But that’s Yorkston for you: a noble artist.

I've been recommending these songs for my family and friends these last days, hope you like it as well.

U2 when they were at their most innovative. Achtung Baby is a modern classic, love this record. This selection is chosen for full on bangers territory. Terrific production. takes me back to the early 90's. It's a strange mosaic of techno-rock, with lots of effects pedals. Brave album made at the right time.

Back
Top Bottom