What are you listening to?

Just a brilliant powerpop/punk song by The Neighborhoods from Boston, which describes, in your face, the makings of childhood complex trauma. I had a good home life and never used substances, but the rest I identify with. I saw them play live many, many times. Brilliant. This recording is tame compared to their live version.

NO PLACE LIKE HOME (David Minehan) lyric:

Mom and Dad are so frightening
Every day is a crisis
Dad comes home and he's nervous
The air's so thick you can't breathe

Don't let them get to you
There's not much you can do
Ah, believe me boy I know what you're going through

Life's not easy as a weakling
Always taking a beating
My best friend is my hi-fi
At 33 and 45

When you get home from school
Run for your lonely room

First grade, straight A's, I was a good boy
Grade six, grades slipped, I was losing interest
Fun time, Grade Nine, booze, good friends and cheap highs
Grade twelve, head swell, never learned my lesson

Life's no fun
Let's pretend
Life's no fun
Let's pretend
Life's no fun

Machine Gun, by the amazing Jimi Hendrix. Words fail me with this one. Taken from his later period with the Band of Gypsies. Less psychedelic, pure visceral blues from an effortless master musician.

Rick Beato has just dropped his latest interview, this time with guitar virtuoso and Deep Purple member Steve Morse. This one features some lovely playing, and revealing info into his creative process. Well worth a listen.

More Boston indie rock. A song by Big Dipper about a comet hitting Earth and killing us all. Ridiculous! Good song, though. Singer/composer was a MUFON member.

A week late I know, but this always brings a tear to my eyes. I hope you all enjoy!

They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on Earth
But instead, it just kept on raining
A veil of tears for the Virgin's birth
And I remember one Christmas morning
A winter's light and a distant choir
And the peal of a bell
And that Christmas tree smell
And their eyes full of tinsel and fire
They sold me a dream of Christmas
They sold me a silent night
And they told me a fairy story
'Till I believed in the Israelite
And I believed in father Christmas
And I looked to the sky with excited eyes
'Till I woke with a yawn
In the first light of dawn
And I saw him and through his disguise
I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave New Year
All anguish, pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear
They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on Earth
Hallelujah Noel, be in Heaven or hell
The Christmas you get, you deserve

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Greg Lake / Peter John Sinfield / Serge Prokofieff
I Believe in Father Christmas lyrics © BMG Rights Management, Music Sales Corporation

Shaman singing and dancer Sergei Polunin. The piece is called 'stand up' and is a heartfelt patriotic song, with strong relationship for Russians today with all the heroes, who seem so close now and we stand together.

Polunin has at least two if not now three portraits of Putin tatooed on his body. He said in an interview he did it to protect Putin from danger or darkness, something like that.

Polunin impresses and inspires me more than any other male dancer I've watched (as does Shamen, the singer in this video). Polunin said when giving a master class to some dancers, when you jump it should be as if you are given a shove from behind. Also, he said, stretch your leg out in training till it hurts, then when you dance later, you will just enjoy it. Somehow these sayings seem applicable to life too!

Happy New Year everybody!

Full Concert live from Moscow, Tchaikovsky Concert Hall – Baltic Sea Philharmonic​

It’s as much a pleasure to hear as it is to watch !
The conductor is incredible in his exuberance and his respect for the musicians. He even allows himself to go dancing with the audience for the finale.

And the music is magnificent !

Shaman singing and dancer Sergei Polunin. The piece is called 'stand up' and is a heartfelt patriotic song, with strong relationship for Russians today with all the heroes, who seem so close now and we stand together.
Here's Shaman singing 'Let's Get Up' with English subtitles. The lyrics are worth translating to the song, I realized after posting the dance-focused version of the song above..

Back
Top Bottom