What are you listening to?

Two final cuts then I'm done, honest. :-) Taken from an old CD I've got which I ordered from NYC about ten years back. It was out of print and I had to pay over the odds to have it shipped over to the shires of Wales, lol. More moody this stuff, reminds me of 70's spy films.

First called 'American Rhapsody', George Gershwin wrote the piece in four days - which was a good thing - because he was supposed to write a new jazz-concerto for the highlight piece of a concert, a concert he'd completely forgotten about.

Speaking about 'Rhapsody in Blue' and it's composition, he said, "Well, there I was, rattling away [at the piano] without a thought of rhapsodies in blue or any other color. All at once I heard myself playing a theme that must have been haunting me inside, seeking outlet. No sooner had it oozed out of my fingers than I knew I had found it."

Here is the original - with the piano played by the composer himself.
George Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue (1924):

And, for those of you who prefer the 'full-monte' jazz/orchestral version, voila:

EDIT: punctuation and clarity

I went to this god forsaken school in Fort Benning. They’re still using parachutes from WW2 there and during my last jump I had an extra hole in my chute next to the middle, about the size of my helmet which is around the size that you’re supposed to pull your reserve. Well I took a look around, figured I was falling a little fast, but whatever because ultimately I’d live. Anyway, ground approach was much faster than other jumps and I felt that impact straight through my spine, layed there for about 4 seconds, was thankful my legs moved…. And that was the last damn time I’ll ever toss myself outta a perfectly good airplane. I’ll stick to diving. The song has some beautiful harmony, definitely should be sung by men.

Back
Top Bottom