What are you listening to?

The Smiths were Britain's equivalent to REM in many ways. A conscious reaction to the phallocentric excesses of the 1970s rock scene and a very literate and arch approach to personal expression. This music still sounds fantastic 40 years on from its creation.

I know this band.
Its fun. )
We used to watch "Charmed" in high school. (Our translation of the film's title here was "all women are witches." (The way they made Ukrainian translation) )
Anyway, it was the first time when I heard this band.
"The Smiths - How soon is now? " -
It was an intro soundtrack to this movie's series.

And I know R.E.M.
I guess one of the most popular one.

Last edited:
I picked up this Oasis album a week or so back, one of their later ones, and surprisingly good. Guitarist Noel Gallagher uses the studio to layer many tracks of his guitar to create a wall of sound to propel the songs forwards. Less prevalent on these tracks but it is his usual creative method. The market for CDs is ridiculous these days as most people stream their music, but this record cost me £3.99! So many bargains out there for eagle-eyed punters. I like having my own hard copies of music, so if the internet goes down periodically I can still enjoy them.

This may be a little bombastic for some but to me the guitar work and lyrics just absolutely resonant with me. I may be biased as a huge Killing Joke fan though.

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh lord yeah!
Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?