What are you listening to?

I bought the box set of the Doors six albums, some very good work there. Incredible to think that the keyboardist Ray Manzarek also played basslines for their live shows on a special keyboard. That's some decent left/right hand co-ordination going on there! Jim Morrison certainly divides opinion, but he was a talented lyricist in my view with a resonant vocal style; his problem was that his alcoholism made him a boorish psycho at times. As a four piece band they created some really otherworldly music. Riders on the Storm is a fitting coda to a fine band. 6 albums between 67-71 is really good going.

Continuing my enjoyment of the Doors box set; their albums are really very good. Morrison was a polymath who devoured books in his formative years. He was reading and understanding Nietzche at 16. At that age I was playing football and computer games, even girls hadn't entered the picture. Such a shame he ruined it with his alcoholic ways. This is a bluesy tune, featuring a funky arrangement and some great picking from guitarist Robbie Krieger. Love this song.

Back
Top Bottom