What are you listening to?

Mike Oldfield - Earth Moving

It's my feel-good song, that brings many positive memories and the feeling of spring, both figuratively and literally.

I especially love that part of the lyrics.

"Reach out - it's a leap in the dark,
But there's no danger of falling.
Give out, give it straight from the heart.
You feel like thunder rolling
."

The absolute KING of Funk! Yep, PRINCE at MONTREUX festival. FULL CONCERT!!! (2+ hours)
What an absolute genius and a terribly funky kind of man!
Make space in the living room cause you're going to dance!

Wondering what people think of this song/video.

The song reminds me of how I felt after my best friend died in a drug overdose. Specifically the crooners tears and is his ability to perform doing so. Because I had no other choice but to keep up with my life. I had never been more sad in my life but I processed it in just a year or so. I feel very happy with the time we had and he still lives on in my mind. It is good now, and there are no emotions but joy in my mind.

I have been reflecting on death, and I have thought about when my parents will die and I think I just would go on naturally without much more thought on it when they pass. Perhaps that is because I have no strong emotions or bonds with them. But don't get me wrong, they are good people and I like them.

Then recently another buddy of mine died who worked at the same place as me, they said it was multi-organ failure that killed him. So by now it is like, "Yup! Expect anyone to die! Not much to feel sad about!"

But apart from all that I hope his father gets a new kidney.

Wondering what people think of this song/video.

Pretty powerful. For me at least. For any son the time will come when your father passes and that is what I get from what the song is about.

When he sings “I’m not your son. Your not my father” I think he is speaking to understanding and/or seeing your father as just a man instead of some ideal that you judge or hold up as the standard and even blame for all your problems because he is your father. Seems like a mature view in terms of seeing your father as a person that has flaws or has made mistakes and letting go of junk that can build up between a father and son and a wise perspective to try send of your father into death without a judgement of him as a person and without enmity, if possible.

When he sings about “my turn to chase the monsters away” I think of two things. First, that as a son the father could have been that kind of rock to lean on when you are afraid about life, etc in its many facets, but with the father passing the son now has to take up that mantel for himself and possibly even for his son, if he has one. Second, monsters could also be seen as personal demons that have plagued the family and dealing with them. So it is now the son’s turn to deal with those and possibly correct the heritage of the male line. Makes me personally think of the alcoholism that has been experienced from the male side of my father’s family and into my father and brothers. And that is a ‘monster’ I have thought about in terms of why it is, understanding it and chancing it away from my life.

Finally, I think the song speaks to saying what you can to your father now before this time comes when he passes. You may not be able to say all you want and he may not be able to hear most of what you have to say, so you don’t say a lot of what could be said and only say what can be said. And in this to try to find some peace and understanding between you two in this life, if that is possible.

I don’t know what Neil Young was trying to really say in this song ‘Old Man,’ but I think about my dad when listening to it and get similar thoughts and but mostly similar feelings as this song ‘Monster.’

Back
Top Bottom