What's the weather where you are?

Winter arrives in one day, here in SW Pennsylvania! I'm always amazed how quickly the seasons come upon us.

Last week, the days were 72 degrees F, with nights in the upper 50s. Today the sky is gray; a few dead leaves cling to branches. Tonight's low will be in the mid 20s, same with every night after....

CALIFORNIA DREAMIN' (comment on the weather only!) The Mamas and the Papas:

In SC Alaska, it was partly sunny and 32°F at noon. It is 22°F at 9:30 pm. We have a few inches of snow cover now.
Pictured below is how the weather looked today - I took it because the rainbow colored cloud near the center. It has a twisted thread look to it. As well, the clouds looked like tiger stripes in other parts of the sky!

Cloud.jpg

WEATHER-ICONS.png
Stockholm, Sweden 21 Nov 2022

You wouldn't believe this...

If we one week ago, measured the highest ever recorded temperatures that late into a November month (16.7°C, in Southern Sweden at 3 places) - then the past few days have shifted everything upside down. Even in Stockholm; Not in terms of temperatures, but the way things look like after heavy snowfalls - made me this afternoon feel as if I during my sleep, had moved somewhere to Northern Sweden, like in a fairytale, watching heavily ladden trees just everywhere, and a feel of "-20°C".

That's what it looks like here, when I open the window... I'll attach some images in the end which I made during the past 24 hours.

2022-11-21_0700-Snowdepths_Sweden.png
Notice that the snow depths were measured this morning at 0700. It increased even more during the day and afternoon.

So, while the landscape looks "ice cold" - it ain't cold at all. The temperatures are only 0°C outside, and has been like this during the entire snow event. The snow depth at my balcony measures a whopping 45 cm in the afternoon, likely around 50 cm outside in a free area (without disturbances from house walls etc). It looks simply incredible and absolutely MAGIC !

The large tree right outside my balcony, looks very different because of the weight from the snow. I am surprized it hasn't shed off it's the heavy weight from the snow yet, given that there were some wind gusts last night. And speaking of night...

Last Night - Snow Thunderstorms :wow:

Sal and I went out in the middle of the night around 00.58 - and as soon we exite our home... *KABOOM* Lightning and thunder were 2 seconds apart - and we were mildly spoken surprized. This went on four times, of which Sal captured one lightning strike while he was taking a video clip to his Italian friends. The last of the four, was fierce - very bright, very loud and unpleseant sharp. Since our neighbourhood is built upon a high plateau, we thought it was best to go home... fast. Here is a video clip.

The last time i experienced snow thunderstorms was on 28 Feb 1996, while i was awake for 24 hours, and outside it was snowing densely outside. I was developing large color prints for my first and only real photo exhibition called "13 days behind the moon" for the next day, and still at it to mount them into maps and grace them with poems, which I too wrote during those crazy 24 hours - as suddenly three very loud "Ka-BOOM's" occurred with crackling thunder.

Our Swedish Weather Service had something to tell about the snow event in Stockholm, as following:

The Season's First Snow Punch

21 Nov 2022

The weather is changing rapidly, especially in southern Sweden. Last weekend saw record-breaking temperatures for the season, which this past weekend turned into heavy snowfall over the Baltic Sea region. The word "snowmoon" is not an official and well-defined term. But since it is widely used in the media, I took the liberty of using it as well.

Väderanalys221121.jpg
The image shows a map with an analysis of the weather situation on 21 November 2022 / The weather at 01:00 on 21 November 2022.

We still have fairly high temperatures in the Baltic Sea

while there is much colder air higher up in the atmosphere. These are favourable conditions for heavy snow showers to form over the sea. Sometimes the snow flurries gather in special streaks, known as "snow cannons".

A glance at the map of the greatest snow depths in Sweden on 21 November shows that all the greatest snow depths are in south-eastern Sweden from Oskarshamn up to the Stockholm area.

Snödjup_221121.jpg
The image shows a map with the maximum snow depth on 21 November 2022.
Snow depth on 21 November 2022.

The station Börrum

stands out the most with 58 centimetres of snow. The station is located on the Östgöta coast between Söderköping and Valdermarsvik. It gets quite exposed in this type of weather with snow flurries from the sea and it is not the first time it has reported a lot of snow.

The record for Börrum is 65 centimetres in January and February 2010. However, Börrum has never had as much as 58 centimetres in November. The series of measurements is not that old, but started in 1997.

Do you remember November 2016 and 1995?

Actually, it's not so surprising that there can be large amounts of snow in the month of November. After a mild autumn, the sea water is still relatively warm. Then, as colder air spreads at higher levels, atmospheric instability and updrafts form. It's similar to the conditions on a sunny summer's day, but this time it's the open ocean surfaces that add moisture and warmth.

We don't have to look very far in our archives to find other snowstorms in November. For example, in early November 2016, Stockholm recorded a record snowfall for November with 39 centimetres and unofficially as much as 47 centimetres.

-> November 2016 - Snow chaos in Stockholm and Advent storm 🇸🇪

Another famous event is the snow storm around 17 November 1995. At that time, Ödeshög reported the still valid snow depth record for Götaland in November with 98 centimetres. This snowfall differed slightly from the others because it came from the west rather than from the Baltic Sea. This was reflected in the fact that Gothenburg was also hit very hard by the snow on that occasion.

-> Deepest snowfall in November 🇸🇪

Winter Thunderstorms

It has not only snowed but also thundered. Since rain showers and snow showers as well as thunderstorms occur in conjunction with storm clouds, it is not entirely surprising that thunderstorms have occurred. Although thunderstorms associated with snowfall are not exactly common.

Given the situation in the world around us, it's no wonder that many people were a little worried when it suddenly started banging and thundering in the middle of the night. But there was a perfectly natural explanation.

Even worse snow cannons in the Northeast of the US

Like the Baltic Sea, the Great Lakes on the US-Canada border can produce heavy snowstorms this time of year. The big city of Buffalo in New York State could be particularly hard hit with snow flurries drifting in from Lake Erie.

This has also been the case in recent days, with the heaviest snowfall falling just south of Buffalo. There, Orchard Park has received a whopping 203 centimetres of fresh snow in just a few days.

Orchard-Park.jpg
The picture shows a map of the United States with the town of Orchard Park marked.
Orchard Park in New York State with 203 centimetres of fresh snow.

Now that doesn't mean the snow depth is 203 centimetres.

The amount of snow on a cleared area is measured at least four times a day and added together. The snow depth is usually not as great because the snow is compacted by its own weight.

Sverker Hellström, SMHI, Sweden

The view
in the afternoon of 21 Nov 2022 around 16.00 here in the southern suburbs of Stockholm - and then going backwards in time

2022-11-21-15-52-41pano.jpg

2022-11-21-15-47-20.jpg

2022-11-21-15-53-15.jpg

2022-11-21-15-48-57.jpg

2022-11-21-00-50-34.jpg

2022-11-21-00-51-33.jpg

2022-11-20-20-33-06.jpg

Stockholm, Sweden
21 Nov 2022, 19.33

Just some additional info - after another intense snow shower an hour ago, my balcony measures now snow depths of a record breaking 48 cm, almost 19 inch deep. Likely 52 cm deep outside in the free, away from house walls. More than this we will not get...

Because, the temperatures are starting to rise, being now at +0.9°C (33.6°F) , and that will make the snow start to get heavy and sack. The tops of the tree in front of our balcony look as if they are going to break off from the weight from accumulated snow.

Putting this in a larger context

I remember that the All-Time-High record snow depth in Stockholm is 66 cm. I personally have never experienced a greater depth than 49 cm during any winter and months since the 80s (i believe it was either 2009-10 or 2010-11 we got huge amounts of snow up to 49 cm)

Last edited:
In exactly the moment :scared: i was opening the balcony door just minutes ago - in order to take a photo of that very heavy, snow-laden tree top, which i suspected could break off - IT DID BREAK OFF in that moment. As of lately I get many dejavu moments; thought awareness = events unfolding.

The tree top may not have been all broken off, but will likely die off during spring time.

IMAGE-2022-11-21-19-57-38.jpg

7°C / 44.6°F tolerable temperature, no rain in 2-3 days [finally!], no sunshine, relatively dry streets and the best lowest wind I can get (in general) - 7 km/h - in Hungary, ~90 miles west of the Ukrainian border.

I was waiting for such a day for almost two weeks: on other days all the time it was raining and ugly cold winds were blowing!

After having to bicycle 20 kilometers to get 10 liters of Artesian water - since our city decided to stop / let run dry all four of its previously working Artesian wells... while the small village 10km from us still sports a natural ['positive'!] Artesian well [no electric pump required] ..gave me the perfect day for exercise.

I had doubts, because bicycling meant pedaling up on the raised bridge, which was built for the old country road so this way it crosses the new speedway, which runs below, creating a 100 meter acclivity. Cycling up there with empty jerrycans is easy, but coming back and pedaling up to the top with full cans requires adequate sleep the previous night. Maintaining 20 km/h means conscious "forced march"-mode pedaling for 60 minutes.

After arriving home, I could cycle an additional 4 km to get to the edge of the town and back to do an athletic exercise in strong, fresh, country air, rich in oxygen, well into / after it got dark.

7km/h wind means no cold wind is 'punching through' my clothes drenched with perspiration. Sprinting and jogging [then cycling home] in wet clothes therefore was a pleasant and relaxing time, allowing me to give my body a good 'thorough wash' with oxygen-rich air.

At 51 years old this meant obvious muscle fatigue in the legs - when doing 50 frog jumps - and muscle failure in the neck, when doing 300 sit-ups without holding / supporting my head with the hands, because having to keep 60 minutes cycling race position + hand/arm fatigue earlier. So my neck muscles decidedly gave up.. :)

It went well, but I couldn't have done this in 2011, when on a full-time 9 to 5 job in the capitol, in the deadly smog and as a result with my then collapsed health!

This was a bargain, coming to the country and building my health up, but remaining poor.. Let's see, how it plays out!

Last edited:
The Australian geologist Professor Ian Plimer gives short shrift to all the lies and obfuscations surround settled climate science. If it had been proved that human emissions of carbon dioxide drive global warming, “there would be endless citation of the dozen or so seminal scientific papers demonstrating this proof”. Instead, he notes, there is a “deafening silence”. Climate cycles have not changed because humans are alive today, “and cannot be changed by feelings, ideology or legislation”. He also noted: “Bearers of validated facts are denigrated, cancelled and deemed controversial by those who have no counterargument, no ability to critically analyse, and who rely on self-interest and feelings.”

In SC Alaska, snow! It looks like 12-16 inches out my window. The temperature is 32°F.

The schools are closed in the Anchorage area, and there are weather alerts for Anchorage, Mat-Su Valley, and the Kenai Peninsula.

Reading the alerts, I think they are giving snow forecasts - which are low - because its deep.

Back
Top Bottom