What's the weather where you are?

In SC Alaska, we had a really windy night. It caused a power outage that lasted over two hours. There was a weather alert on the local news station for high winds. Wind gusts were expected to be up to 80 mph at higher elevations.
Outside my home, the winds were loud, and the temps warm - about 42°F. (5.5°C) I figured the power would go out by the way the wind sounded and the lights flickered.
Cell phone service went out as well, but I checked youtube, and there was some sort of nationwide outage during the same time. Maybe it was caused by the recent X-flare?
Anyways, Its quieted down, and the powers back on.
It has been warmer than normal, with daytime temps around 40°F for the last week.

Stockholm, Sweden
23 Feb 2024

Mild weather
has dominated our weather here in Stockholm lately - and when i look at my thermometer it was approaching 7°C late afternoon - which is rather high for this time of the year (but still not unusual, as it has happened before). According to SMHI, preliminary, the temperature reached 8.0°C [46.4°F] in Stockholm City. You almost get springtime feelings :-) because that's equivalent to the average normal MAX in mid-April.

Despite the pessimistic outlooks of "14 days overcast weather" earlier - the sun did come out today, flooding my apartment in a way i haven't seen in a long time. Yet - the average sunshine hours have been scarce in February, dipping to an average of just 1 hour per day, and low than what we had in Jan 2024.

So this winter 2023/24, since the third week of October, sunshine overall has been exceptionally low.

Well, this is not really about weather. Did not know where else to post it. A German woman who decided to live in a city in the Egyptian desert had posted this: She wrote "A few days ago I read that locusts are moving to Egypt. When I was in the desert yesterday, we saw them. But take a look for yourself..."
This is one of the many pictures:
View attachment 92124heuschrecken uta.jpeg

Stockholm, Sweden
12 March 2024

Well so far, so good. The temperatures have risen again during daytime, albeit more in line with normal to somewhat higher than above temperatures around 5 to 6°C. [42.8°F] The nights are cold, especially in the outskirts, Stockholm-Tullinge reported -8°C [17.6°F] this morning, while the inner city only went down to -2°C [28.4°F]

What has changed in the past week are the increased sunshine hours. FINALLY !

The 30 day daily average rose for the first time since Oct 2023 above the 2 hour threshold. Woopie. Nevertheless, it makes the soul really happy, and the indoor plants as well, as some of them are starting to grow again.

_-2024-03-12-at-15.09.12.png

Stockholm, Sweden
17 Mar 2024

Yesterday during noon I went out several times, buying groceries for our upcoming Carnival Party on Sunday - while the weather was so mild and beautiful with +10°C. [50°F], creating springtime feelings; Lighter clothes, no hat or gloves.... and you just walk along with joyful ease. Such a wonderful feeling. I also saw several little flowers had already popped up, including crocus, white "snow drops" and other yellow flowers whose name I don't know.

Well, hours later
a rapid drop in temperatures, with howling storm winds, 0°C and snowfall. (we've got -1°C now at midnight) So, for the time being, winds are banging against my windows... and it is cold and snowy again. Nevertheless, this kind of weather is not unusual. March in Stockholm is more of a winter month, really, even if you get see and feel occasional springtime approaches. Winter then often returns with northerly winds.

Those are called 'daffodils' in English - don't know what their name is in Swedish but DeepL gives me 'påskliljor' or alternatively 'narcisser'. That last one much likens the Dutch name for them: 'narcissen'. :cool2:
Thank you palinurus.
But no, they were not that. Daffodils have not started to flower yet up here, barely even started to grow. Now the yellow ones are small flowers growing just a few centimeters above the soil. They look like small buttercups flowers (sort of).

I will simply make a photo soon, so i can show them to you.

In SC Alaska, it is 38°F (3°C), a little colder than it has been. Still lots of snow cover, but as the night time lows remain above freezing, it will melt fast.
The roads have snow melt, with streams on the banks and puddling, a good sign spring is here. As the snow/ice recedes from the road, you can see how off the snow plows were because one lane is half covered and the other completely open.
Still no insects yet. Probably another month before they return.

Stockholm, Sweden
27 March 2024

2024-03-26-11-01-49.jpg
• Yesterday's (26 March 2024) snowfall. Notice that snowfalls in the end of March isn't anything out of the ordinary. A sight like this can happen up to the first week of May.

Yesterday
we had chilly weather - but we were surprised that at a temperature of +3.5°C very large snow flakes fell down, at times as dense snow fall (without ever to last on the ground). Normally I see such big flakes only when it is let's say from -1.5°C to +1.5, but not at higher temperatures like +3.5°C.

Today we've got friendly weather again, with 8°C. which is slightly above normal for this time of the year. Expecting now a short mild period but then colder than normal. Overall, March month this far here in Stockholm, has been around 1.1°C milder than the 1991-2020 March average.

1-27 March 2024 • Sunshine
On the low site I would say, with a 30 Ø average of just 3.2 hours per day. Which is rather low compared to the previous years at the same time... We have been lacking those large, stable high pressure areas over Scandinavia, which could maybe explain the rather poor sunshine hours. However, there have been worst months.

An example: March 1983, we had a mere 2 hours per day. March 2023 also quite with 3.8 hours in average, while during March 2022 we had a whopping 8.8 hours of sunshine in Ø every day

Stockholm, Sweden
2 April 2024

Well, here we go again. -1°C as of now in the afternoon in Southern Stockholm. It is literally winter again - while the landscapes have turned white. Apparently 2-3 days will be with temperatures below freezing, ensuring that the snow will stay on the ground. Until milder air once again spreads into Scandinavia with temperatures briefly up to 16°C next Sunday (i'll be in Sicily by then, with up to 27°C☀️). So, quite a ride between winter and spring here (and summer in Sicily)

2024-04-02-16-30-15.jpg

2024-04-02-16-29-54.jpg _-2024-04-02-at-16.39.58.jpg

Stockholm, Sweden
3 April 2024

A follow up.

My god - the winds are still fierce at time. Very strong gusts during the night on my way home - the snowfall ended around midnight (dumping 11-15 cm), then walking though the semi open woods on my way home - it felt like being in deep winter time.

To my surprise next day, meeting my best friend for coffee in the city - the sun was shining - but the air was cold with -1°C, and those pesky winds were STILL very gusty - creating a wind chill effect down to -7°C. in the middle of the day.

On top - the city services didn't clean up the walkways. The conditions were even worse in the inner city, with totally over iced walkways :scared: Again i have to think of old people... It really surprized me to see the streets in such a mess. No granulate, no cleaning, no frikkin nothing.

2024-04-03-01-57-35.jpg

2024-04-03-14-41-04.jpg
1.jpg 3.jpg
_-2024-04-03-at-02.37.47.png

Back
Top Bottom