What's the weather where you are?

Stockholm, Sweden
16 Oct 2022

⛈️

Thunderstorms... again
I woke up around 15:45 - while stepping outside on the balcony to smoke a cigarette, I noticed the unusual presence of a very well developed thunderstorm cloud with anvil in the NNE. The kind of sight you normally get in May-early September in Stockholm, but isn't really that that common in October (even if i have seen them, on rare occasions)

Additional information
Sweden • 20 Oct 2022

Swedish weather service SMHI brought out this map
days later after the T-storm events, showing the locations of lightning strikes during 16 Oct 2022 - which went up to a whopping 1656 lightning strikes (including several strong ones with at least 100 kA in strength)

I know, this is not America nor Southern Europe... but for Sweden - this was rather unusual. I can't remember so many lightning strikes having come down during a single day in October - being more in line with a summer T-storm event...

2022-10-16-1656-Blixtrar.jpg MyBlitzortungStrikeMap.png

It's been a kinda interesting night out here in the shires of west Wales. We had a storm roll in from the east heading west, bringing thunder, lightning and big hailstones too. It was chaos for about 20 minutes, then the noise abated, the rain began, and the storm headed out westwards. You could still see the lightning 15 mins later, but all was now quiet. All in all, no damage done, but it was a gentle reminder that Mother Nature is in charge around here.

It's been a kinda interesting night out here in the shires of west Wales. We had a storm roll in from the east heading west, bringing thunder, lightning and big hailstones too. It was chaos for about 20 minutes, then the noise abated, the rain began, and the storm headed out westwards. You could still see the lightning 15 mins later, but all was now quiet. All in all, no damage done, but it was a gentle reminder that Mother Nature is in charge around here.

I got curious and looked up what went on over your place. Yes, it looks lively... Here is the most recent map of lightning strikes. Clearly many lightning strikes were registered over Wales and Ireland. Also the satellite charts show lots of "bubbly" cloud formations gathering over wide regions.

MyBlitzortungStrikeMap-1.png

It´s raining with THUNDERSTORM in NRW, Germany, at the end of October. :umm:
And there is a "severe thunderstorm warning" active now. Currently, no strong winds here where I live, only rain with thunders in the distance but who knows what is going on some 20-30km away...

Tight clusters of Thunderstorms
complementary info

Just for illustration I am adding the 48 hour Thunderstorm chart to Mari's observation, showing the t-storm activity - which was densely covering the entire English Channel, parts of France and Southern North sea, large parts of Belgium and Holland, with several streaks moving into Germany.

MyBlitzortungStrikeMap.png

Climate 🤡 Change vs Elephant in the Room
(Sunshine hours in Stockholm City, Sweden)

It is our sun which is the main driver of Climate - like it has always been and always will be. It is really kind of funny, how LITTLE the sun is spoken of in the excessive plethora in the discussions revolving Climate Change.

Yesterday, i was looking more into the sunshine hour data coming from the Swedish Weather Service SMHI. They've got a data chart which registered sunshine hours down to the seconds since year 1983. Unfortunately they do not provide any interface, where you can ask "how many hours did the sun shine for a certain period of time". Instead you get a data chart, which for every line in MS Excel / Apple's Numbers, represent 1 hour, showing amount of seconds the sun was shining. More bulky it can't get - because you end up getting 370.000 rows with data counted in seconds. So, now what ?

Well, I haven no knowledge of databases or how to handle or shuffle them around effectively in order to make nice graphs, per day, month, season, year. So, i gather the data manually, and write them manually into a new chart. It will likely take weeks.

A lot of extra sunshine hours since 1983

But one thing struck me after a couple of hours: How much the sunshine hours have increased annually since 1983, in the city of Stockholm. All that extra energy, added on top... does surely explain why it has gotten warmer in our region of the world. But why is nobody addressing the elephant in the room: our SUN being the main driver (in tandem with cloudiness) affecting our climate and weather.

Below you can see the annual amount of sunshine hours registered in the City of Stockholm. Notice the pronounced increase over time. If the mid 80s, showed a total of around 1550 hours, it shows that since the mid 90s, the total has increased to 1800-2000 hours annually - which coincidences with time when we were in a stronger warming period (90s).

The second graph shows the average Global radiation over Sweden (8 stations put together). Again - the energy has increased, by roughly 20-25%. That IS energy, and it IS making things warmer. Of course it does.

When you increase the energy in the oven, it get's hotter. How can something so obvious being forgotten and put under the carpet ? Instead, it is blamed on everything else instead - just not the main source of energy, which primarily always has influenced earth for a long time.

_-2022-10-23-at-08.39.22.jpg

Ackumulerad-globalstrålning-för-hela-år-sedan-1983-för-åtta-stationer-i-Sverige.jpg
Annual global radiation • Accumulated global radiation for the whole is since 1983 for eight stations in Sweden. The black curve shows a smoothed trend roughly corresponding to a ten-year running average. (1983 - 2018)

Sunshine Year of 2022

Stockholm

Speaking of many sunshine hours; Notice that as of 23 Oct 2022, the total amount of sunshine has already reached a whopping 2076 hours [green dot in the first chart] - yet we have still 2 months to go... On top, the average sunshine hours per day, have been higher in October 2022, compared to September 2022. 5.03 hours vs 4.57 hours.

I find that remarkable, because October is quite often already a gloomy month. The other day I said to my husband "Haven't you noticed how often the sun has been shining lately ?" This was actually the thought which brought me to SMHI's database and dealing with the numbers-based-in-seconds, wanting to know more about it by looking at things graphically; how things looks like on a (daily), monthly and annual basis, in order to be able to compare.

As of now, I have only ready data from 1983, and 2022. The rest I am working on.

(Average) Ø Daily sunshine in 1983 vs 2022
Stockholm

_-2022-10-24-at-06.51.35.jpg

Look at the remarkable difference between the year of 1983 in Stockholm, vs the ongoing year of 2022, when comparing the daily average sunshine hours each month... As of now, we are at 5 hours sunshine per day in Oct 2022 - which is more compared to Sep 2022. But already back in March 2022, the amount sprung up to almost 9 hours per day. That's plenty more energy input we have today, when compared to the poor cloudy 80s.

So, what has that to do with.... uhm... blaming CO2 for "Climate Change" ?!

Nothing. Only that things actually grow much better, the vegetation gets more resistant, as well needs less water; the more CO2 is present the atmosphere. Creating a war against CO2, is in essence striding a war against life itself (!) Which unfortunately sounds familiar, given at how many other levels we are seeing similar principles being deliberately unfolded.

:rolleyes:

New heat records in the Netherlands !
Source: Netherlands sets new warm weather record for Oct. 28; Weekend could set new record highs

Friday, 28 October 2022 - 15:00

Netherlands sets new warm weather record for Oct. 28; Weekend could set new record highs​

Friday was the warmest October 28 ever measured in the Netherlands. The thermometer rose to 22.8 degrees in Maastricht at 12:40 p.m., according to Weeronline. The old national record stood at 22.5 degrees and was measured in 2005, also at the Maastricht weather station.

Official weather records in the Netherlands are set in De Bilt, Utrecht, considered the meteorological average for the country. It is also home to the KNMI, the Dutch meteorological institute. The temperature in De Bilt reached 19.8 degrees at 12:50 p.m., breaking the previous official record of 19.4 degrees also set in 2005.

At the time the official and local weather records were broken, the temperature was still rising. It crossed 20 degrees in De Bilt, and it will be 20 to 23 degrees in many areas by the end of Friday afternoon, and in southern Limburg it can even reach up to 25 degrees locally.

It is rare for the temperature to reach 25 degrees this late in the year. So far, the latest summer-weather day in any year took place in 1937 when the thermometer hit 25.2 degrees in Maastricht on October 27.

There is also a chance that more heat records will be broken over the weekend. The temperature is expected to remain very high for the time of year, often 20 degrees or more across much of the Netherlands.

Reporting by ANP and NL Times

Other coverage:
Unseasonably warm weather continues as clocks go back - DutchNews.nl
https://www.msn.com/nl-nl/nieuws/Binnenland/warmte-verbreekt-records-voor-28-oktober/

Stockholm, Sweden
28-29 Oct 2022

Today we got another sunny day (after a cloud previous one) - and my flowers are still on the balcony, approaching very soon a record. I think the latest date i ever took in my geraniums, was around 2 Nov - but I can't remember which year that was. They are still flowering (albeit a lot weaker compared to typical summer blossoming)

The temperatures today rose to almost 15°C (59°F) in the larger surroundings of Stockholm (The station Film got 15.3°C) - which is a formidable temperature for the very end of October. Yesterday in Kristianstad on 28 Oct 2022 in the very south of Sweden, the quicksilver rose to 19.5°C. (67.1°F) Nevertheless, this ain't enough for a Swedish all time high October record - but I wonder... it is one thing to get 24.5°C (76.1°F) in the beginning of October, and another thing to approach 20°C in the end of October.

Let's have a look.

October • Sweden Top records​

• 24.5°C • Oskarshamn • 9 oktober 1995 (Götaland)
  • 22.8°C • Eklången • 9 oktober 1995 (Svealand)
  • 22.6°C • Gävle • 4 oktober 1973 (Norrland)

Those all have been recorded in the first 10 days of October. We probably have to look into November, in order to see possible max temps possible for the end of October.

November • Sweden Top records​

• 18.4°C • Gladhammar • 6 nov. 2020 och Ugerup den 2 nov. 1968 (Götaland)
  • 18.1°C • Örebro flygplats • 2 november 2020 (Svealand)
  • 17.6°C • Hudiksvall • 2 november 2015 (Norrland)

Here we see that the highest measured temperature was 18.4°C on a 6 Nov + 2 Nov. This could mean that yesterday's temperature of 19.5°C in Kristanstad was at the very threshold, of what is the highest possible, this time of the year.

Oh little Sweden.
Kick aside - It's time for the big guns

Yeah, anything up here in Sweden, doesn't even come close to the records noted in middle and West Europe... Italy had 34°C (93.2°F) in Castiadas, and in Lentini (Sicily) reported 33°C (91.4°F), and Catania 30°C (86°F) the other day in Sicily, too.

Föhnwinds together with the already warm air, resulted into an extreme phenomena in the Baskien area of Spain, making the temperatures rise to a fascinating 29°C / 84.2°F local time at 05.00 yesterday morning. Must be a strange feeling, experiencing suddenly 29°C at night (!) in the end of October...

_-2022-10-29-at-18.56.12.png

Germany/France registered yesterday, on 28 Oct 2022, a whopping 28.7°C (83.66°F) in Mühlheim, while 27.8°C (82°F) in Freiburg today.

Below

you see the Stockholm City temperatures in Stockholm (Min & MAX) Oct 2022 - as well MIN temps from Tullinge, which is located outside the dense areas of the city in the south, known for it's low temperatures at night. I consider that station to be the "bird in the coal mine" in terms of real minimum temperatures - without the influence of buildings.

StockholmCitytemps_oct2022.png

Water Temperatures - Middle Baltic Sea

I find them rather to be high for this time of the year. 11°C is what you would expect in the end of September instead.

BalticSeaWatertemperatures_29oct2022.png

Stockholm Sunshine

I continue gradually, manually examining all sunshine data down to the seconds since 1983. October 2022 is indeed an unusual sunny month. This far, it appears to me that the normal average daily sunshine for Oct in Stockholm, hovering around 2 hours and 45 minutes - give or take. But we are at a daily average of 4 hours and 10 minutes so far ❤️ ! It has been almost as sunny as September 2022 (which was a bit on the poor side).

Sunshine-Sep-oct2022.png

Those Octobers...

Because the down-to-the-second-based sunshine data is so extensive, I have only managed to compare so far 1983, 2019, 20, 21, and 22, because I need to write down the daily sums manually for each day manually, so i can compare them later in charts, and see what is what and how much.

Below, October 2022 clearly diverts a lot from other Octobers (daily averages for a month). I often considered the month of October to be on the gloomy side, because sometimes the plunge into "The Big Gray" gloominess of winter, can start already in mid October...

Average_sunshine_comparison.png

Last edited:
Very unusual weather in Macedonia also. Sunny and hot weather during the day with temperatures almost 24C. At night temperature drops to 8-12C. This part of the year usually it is very cold and rainy. Not this year. It is hot and dry.
The forecasts are that there will be some rainy weather for the next weekend, but still temperatures are high for November.

It is almost impossible to stay under direct sunlight. It feels so unpleasant. It feels like the sun is burning the skin. It was much more pleasant under direct sunlight during the summer with much higher temperatures than now when the temperature goes max to 24-26.

Something is just not right. It looks like the atmosphere is rapidly changing.

Here in South Central Alaska the weather is normal with temps in the mid 20°F range. The nearby lake is frozen over, and there is a light dusting of snow - the second snow accumulation so far.
The loss of daylight is 5 min 30 sec. Daylight at 8 hrs. 29 min.
Our summer was very wet, with one of the rainiest Augusts on record. Nothing catastrophic, but the ground was saturated and water settled in low spots.

Stockholm, Sweden
11 Nov 2022

Unusual mild temperatures are recorded in Stockholm (and entire south of Sweden). We got almost 14°C (57.2°F) now early in the morning - where you normally would expect light frost at this time. Normal MIN temps this time of the year would be 2°C (35.6°F) in the city, and 0°C in the suburbs. And below you can see how Autumn 2022 has been in Stockholm in terms of temperatures - clearly turning to the pronounced mild side since October !

Autumn2022_temperatures_Stockholm.jpg

My plants 🌻🌷

are still outside on the balcony, still flowering - which feels almost exotic, being "high up in the North". That makes it a new record for me, having flowers outside this late in November. The temperature situation indoors has stabilized in my apartment, now constantly showing exactly 20.0°C. But it took a very long time - not until the end of October they started, ever so slightly, to heat our building. Before that, it felt cold indoors - and we switched on the cooking gas stove for a couple of hours, almost daily (something I have never done before).

Huge amounts of mild air

is being pumped into Western Europe with high speed, even reaching Southern Scandinavia. For example in North Scotland it's up to 16°C warm, and one station in Northern Ireland reports 17°C - while München Airport in Southern Germany reports frost with -0°C. There, the air is "standing still", being under influence of an anti-cyclone with cloudless skies.

2022-11-11 06-36-00.pngDWDEU_0.jpg

Stockholm, Sweden
11-12 Nov 2022

Additional and general information about the weather in Europe, and Stockholm: So, the temperatures did indeed reached (preliminary) up to 15.4°C [59.7°F] in the Stockholm area, as well in a city called Hudiksvall, approx. 300 km north of Stockholm at the east coast. Now, as I am writing this after after midnight, we still have between 14-15°C !

I find that personally exciting (my kink in life always has been a passion for unusual weather situations; when temperatures sheered way off normal averages) It gave daily life a sense of flair and magic, after moving to a place in the mid 80s, I considered to be a rather cold, a bit boring and quite dull (conform) place.

Here is a map I made which shows you the present temperatures over Europe right now, midnight 11-12 Nov 2022.

2022-11-12-00-00-00-Satellite-and-airmasses.jpg

Today (12 Nov 2022) Stockholm got a prognosis of clear, sunny weather with 14°C. I believe they think that a cold front will swoop through the city during the night, making the skies clear up during the day - and because of the strong winds, the atmosphere gets thoroughly mixed, which keeps the temperatures up at a high level.

Records in Sweden during November

The chances for reaching 20°C in November are gone, up here in Sweden. The highest ever measured temperature during a November month, was in Ugerup (Skåne) with 18.4°C [65.1°F] on 2 Nov 1968 deep in the South. So, compared to yesterday, we are not really close to record levels. On the other side; we are already in mid-November, which means yesterday's 15.4°C are very respectable temperatures for this time of the year.

Back on 2 Nov 2020, the thermometer rose to 18.3°C in Kristianstad, in Southern Sweden, and 18.1°C in Örebro - which is located 160 km west of Stockholm.

The city of Hudiksvall made it up to 16.7°C on 6 Nov 2020, but even more so, on 2 Nov 2015 reaching 17.6°C.

Outlook & Thoughts

It's like they day... Winter is coming. Temperatures are predicted to establish themselves at much lower levels soon; more accordingly to normal levels for November in Stockholm. That means somewhere between 0 and 5°C. However, who knows. They can't even predict the weather correctly beyond 3-4 days... But hey, hot climate changes for the next 50-100 years - that's a "given fact", right?

Hardly !

Maybe climatological models... 🤡

are similar to what Virtual Reality (VR) and Facebook's META is for human entertainment (& enslavement); keeping the human mind trapped in a virtual make-believe world ["as if really real"] - gradually seducing us [general people] to stay more and more within these projected model worlds.

Outside of reality and away from inner presence (and factual observations) - behaviour and belief systems are changing over time: gradually, silently, not fully noticeable. With that in mind, no wonder that "climatologists" who are all over Climate Change and Global Warming and CO2 obsession, are so passionate about their missions. The Garbage-in, Garbage-out models are already by design with one foot located in Virtual Reality; Which means "anything goes" once you let loose. Duping users and believers, like what opium does to junkies.

Altering the belief-center - so their world becomes seemingly "true" - as long they stay close or in that "screen world". Reminds me of politicians; Living in a different screen world among themselves, as if you go to the Theatre of Dramatic Art. Their brains makes sure that the dramas feel very real. It's a different forum and play, different sets of rules, while detached from real people, and real life. We, the common people on the other hand, have social media - another virtual reality stadium; chasing bulls with spears, and yell with arousal - like the Romans did in the arenas, watching fights, blood and "heroes".

The more convincing climate models become and lots of PR is given to them, the less weight we give to real observations and analysis. No wonder that the (climate) virtual world, its projected dramas, have become more important than the factual world.

A side note - regarding my aforementioned rambling about climate models...

Via Dr Simon's Telegram channel, latest published entry - showing NOAA observations vs 36 models of US Summer temperature Trends 1973 - 2022... Guess, which one was "best in test"?

He wrote - "Modelling = Pseudoscience" 🤡

The universe sometimes has a humorous way of communicating and/or sending parallel signs. I so had to laugh, as i just bumped into Dr Simon's entry regarding the pseudoscientific nature of climate models. Also; I want to apologize for my noise - since this thread is mainly for forum members' observation of their local weather.

IMAGE-2022-11-12-14-37-13.png

A side note - regarding my aforementioned rambling about climate models...

Via Dr Simon's Telegram channel, latest published entry - showing NOAA observations vs 36 models of US Summer temperature Trends 1973 - 2022... Guess, which one was "best in test"?

He wrote - "Modelling = Pseudoscience" 🤡

The universe sometimes has a humorous way of communicating and/or sending parallel signs. I so had to laugh, as i just bumped into Dr Simon's entry regarding the pseudoscientific nature of climate models. Also; I want to apologize for my noise - since this thread is mainly for forum members' observation of their local weather.

View attachment 66731

This graph might say more than it does besides this 36 lies versus 1 truth.
According to Wikipedia, the number 36 is (among other meanings) the sum of the integers from 1 to 36 which is 666, aka the number of the beast. Interesting.

The Netherlands has again registered a heat record, already the seventh of this year. We had only one cold record in this same period. At the national weather station in De Bilt the temperature reached 16.2° Celsius, making it the warmest November 12th ever measured. The previous record was in 1995, with 15.9° C.

Details here:
Officially warmest Nov. 12 ever measured in the Netherlands

Weer een warmterecord, en het zonnetje blijft nog even
Nóg een warmterecord: officieel warmste 12 november ooit gemeten in Nederland

Ruim 16 graden in De Bilt: warmste 12 november ooit gemeten
In Europe, last month was the warmest October on record. Temperatures on almost the entire continent were two degrees higher than average between 1991 and 2020. Only in Iceland and Turkey were temperatures just below average.

The UN World Meteorological Organization (WMO) already signaled that Europe has been warming faster than the rest of the world over the past 30 years. According to experts, the high temperatures fit the trend of an increasingly warm climate due to climate change.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Back
Top Bottom