What's the weather where you are?

Tornado over East Sicily
today 18 april 2021 @ 13:00 local time

From the hometown of my husbands family, (they still live there) in Adrano, Sicily, at the foot the Etna Volcano - a powerful tornado just wandered through the landscape near the town. That is rather unusual, I must say. I was truly baffled. It happened just 1.5 hours ago, and they send photos.

Last time I heard about a tornado was in Nov (?) 2014, because a friend of mine, Giuseppe, was in grave danger (as lots of debris was flying at high speed everywhere) and he tried to search for cover under a bridge. protection under a bridge. (Ognina, coastal suburb, just north of Catania, East Coast of Sicily).

So, Photos from Adrano from today, Southeast at the Etna Volcano, in Sicily.

IMAGE 2021-04-18 14:27:59.jpg
IMAGE 2021-04-18 14:27:57.jpg IMAGE 2021-04-18 14:27:58.jpg

Tornado-over-Adrano.jpg

XPan, while I appreciate your enthusiasm to report news items, this thread is pretty much reports from forum members about their local weather conditions.

I apologize for my error, Laura :hug2:

It's super sunny here in Stockholm 15-16°C today, springtime flowers are exploding wherever you look - and there is not a single cloud to be seen. Yet... winter-ish conditions are waiting very soon to unfold...

Mid-April but the weather is still cold in Macedonia. Still snow on the mountains. Temperature is about 3-5C in the morning and if the weather is sunny during the day the temperature can get up to 15C but only if directly exposed to the sun. In the shadow, it is much cooler.
The air is cold. The feeling is like you have a nice summer day in the middle of the winter. It feels nice if sun rays hit you but the air is very cold.

Mid-April but the weather is still cold in Macedonia. Still snow on the mountains. Temperature is about 3-5C in the morning and if the weather is sunny during the day the temperature can get up to 15C but only if directly exposed to the sun. In the shadow, it is much cooler.
The air is cold. The feeling is like you have a nice summer day in the middle of the winter. It feels nice if sun rays hit you but the air is very cold.

Very similar here in SW France, though today is warmer than it has been in over a week and it will not be so cold tonight as it has been. Still, there is a very cool flow of air from the North.

Lower Austria. People are waiting for spring to come. Temperatures are low - about 8° C (maximum in the day, 2°C in the night)- already for some weeks. 3 Weeks ago we had 2 or 3 days with 21°C, Then temperature went down again abruptly. It should be warmer (at least about 15-20°C) and we all are expecting the sun to shine but she does not. Mainly cloudy all day and up til now no real change to be seen. Personally I prepare myself for having "no real summer" :knitting: :knitting::knitting:.

In Alaska, it is really warming up. It is 51°F and mostly sunny. It hasn't dipped below freezing since last week, so the snow is melting fast.
I learned of a new temperature index, and it calculates how the temp feels.

It's called RealFeel temp, and according to that, it's 61°F. It's probably like chill factor adjustments, but takes radiance into account.

Another change is the appearance of bugs. I saw a spider, flies, and moths today. Noteworthy here because for the cold season they disappear.

In '93 we had the warmest April ever - it was in the upper 70's in the last week of April, and the warmth continued into the summer.

Here's the pic gracing the Metro section of the Columbus Dispatch today, but . . .

ajax-request.php

. . . with the caption:

WARM TO COLD: SAY IT ISN'T SNOW!

Yes, despite the crabapple trees in full bloom, 1 to 3 inches of snow is forecast overnight. We've progressed through crocuses and daffodils, forsythia and quince, those lovely magnolia blooms pictured above a couple of weeks ago (that subsequently went brown with a fateful frost), and onto all kinds of blooming trees, shrubs, hyacinths, tulips, creeping phlox, etc. An explosion of color and scent along with lush spring green grass with purple violets and periwinkle (and lots of yellow dandelions) providing contrast.

Well, what can I say about such a forecast - won't be the first time I see pink snow - redbud tree blossoms providing the pink! So we've enjoyed days of middle to high 60s/low 70s with more sun/blue skies than clouds. Temps will move up to 60 again on Friday (it's 60 right now) - after about 3 nights of 32 to 29 degrees but 45 to 50 during the day - so snow will only last if captured in a photograph! ❄️🌷🌨️

Woke up to an extremely cold morning today, 5°C in Victoria (South-Eastern part of Australia) and then had a cold shower, lol :-P
This is quite unusual for this time of the year as winter doesn't hit until May or sometimes early June. Last year we had lows of 10-12 °C around the same time. Also, it rained steadily yesterday for majority of the day and it is supposed to be Autumn.

Yes, despite the crabapple trees in full bloom, 1 to 3 inches of snow is forecast overnight.
I awoke this morning to the most spectacular winter wonderland ever! About 3 inches of wet, coating snow has clung to every branch and twig of the still mostly bare trees and consequently, the trees and bushes with leaves are bending to the ground. The blooming crabapple in my front yard has limbs bent down onto the shrub next to the house and onto the lawn. The pink dogwood blooms have managed to still stay somewhat visible. Street and sidewalks were warm enough from yesterday to be completely clear. The neighbors' large blue spruce trees are generously flocked with the snow, as beautiful as any Christmas scene. Currently, it's 33 degrees and still very lightly snowing.

Checked the weather channel and freeze warning continues tonight, but temps will rise to 40s/50s/60s over the next few days until next Tuesday when it's predicted to be 80 degrees! One has to keep clothes available for both ends of the temperature spectrum most of the year these days.

I awoke this morning to the most spectacular winter wonderland ever! About 3 inches of wet, coating snow has clung to every branch and twig of the still mostly bare trees and consequently, the trees and bushes with leaves are bending to the ground. The blooming crabapple in my front yard has limbs bent down onto the shrub next to the house and onto the lawn. The pink dogwood blooms have managed to still stay somewhat visible. Street and sidewalks were warm enough from yesterday to be completely clear. The neighbors' large blue spruce trees are generously flocked with the snow, as beautiful as any Christmas scene. Currently, it's 33 degrees and still very lightly snowing.

Checked the weather channel and freeze warning continues tonight, but temps will rise to 40s/50s/60s over the next few days until next Tuesday when it's predicted to be 80 degrees! One has to keep clothes available for both ends of the temperature spectrum most of the year these days.
Here too, in southwest Ohio, despite the spring flower buds, tonight's temperature will be -1 C, the lowest of the week and on Tuesday of next week it predicts 28 C. Wow!, what a difference in temperatures.
176300003_883859945793639_7012174684455270540_n.jpg175970392_473424503903355_6134559883246013776_n.jpg175403746_463001274985877_7494309420616855295_n.jpg174128514_284407679889572_5090812968977687966_n.jpg

(the following pictures were taken from iphone 6, however you can see the degree of whites to blacks, colors, except for the degree of contrast).

Stockholm, Sweden
22 April 2021

From almost 15°C (59°F) yesterday, the temperature has plunged to 0°+2° (32°-35°F) with snowfall ❄️ in the morning around 09:30 local time (and it is continuing constantly) My husband from Sicily, find this all very exotic :lol: Well, until he has to go out with Tekki, the dog (I asked afterwards: "How was it ?" -"Not too bad" he said)

_-2021-04-22-at-09.40.21.jpg

The wild Cherry tree outside my balcony is on time, just about to start pushing tender green leafs. It appears to do this regardless weather type.

Chilly weather ahead

GFS prognosis calls for cold weather here: for the next 10 days ahead, only max temperatures of +4°C to +8°C (39°- 46°F) are predicted for Stockholm. Frost basically every night, even into May. Our Max lies normally around 11-12°C (52°-54°) this time of the year.

Is it strange with sudden cold in Stockholm ?

Not here, not really. And frost is something you have to count now and then up until mid May. Snow has fallen occasionally, and more often during the last decade.

• 1 May 2014, only 100 km NE of Stockholm, up to 20 cm snow was registered (We only had snowflakes in the city, I remember).

• On 12 May 1995, we had a record breaking 5 cm snow cover...

May snow During 2011-2020

More noticeable was the fact, that snow showers (not hail) have appeared more frequently in the past 10 years in the beginning of May, which I only have observed, let's say, once a decade during 80s & 90s (May 1984, May 1995).

• 3 May 2011
• 1 May 2014
• 9 May 2017
• 2 May 2019
• (28 Apr 2020)

Today 04/22 - Saint Adèle, Québec, Canada
Light snow this morning will yield to a mostly cloudy sky this afternoon. High near 5C. Winds WNW at 15 to 30 km/h. Chance of snow 80%.
This comes after weeks of warm weather, and having begun to plant seeds outside.

Back
Top Bottom