What's the weather where you are?

And now we´re at 5 degrees. This morning we had a strong wind mixed with rain that turns to ice/snow. Prognosis for today and tomorrow is snow and then a week of rain....

This week will be really cold, devastating for the fruit trees and vegetation; from the article on Sott

Historic Arctic cold blast hits Europe: Damaging frost and snow expected across most of continent

Between -3 to -6 °C will spread across the UK, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland, on both Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Temperatures will push even well below -5 °C across parts of France, Benelux, Germany, Czechia, Austria, and across northern Spain on Wednesday morning.

Another very cold morning will be on Thursday as the cold pool will remain strong, although the Arctic cold thankfully peaks a day before. It will again bring extremely low temperatures, being the lowest around the Alps and across the Balkan peninsula.

Again -5 to -8 °C will be possible across the northern Balkans (Croatia, Slovenia) on Thursday morning, potentially even lower further south across parts of Bosnia, Montenegro, and southern Serbia. As well as over Romania. It will be a very cold morning also across most of Italy.

It is about 40-45°F for the high temp today in AK. Sunny, but a little cool. It is so bright in the spring!

I snapped this pic of the snow layers on the shed. The top two layers are from March. All the other thin layers are throughout the winter. Reminds me of tree rings.

snow_layers.jpg

This week will be really cold, devastating for the fruit trees and vegetation; from the article on Sott
There was a snow on tuesday that started falling early morning and the temperature drop to 0 Celsius and below at night, and the week prior temperature was 27 degrees celsius like it was summer. We have about 10 fruit trees in yard, so it took me about a couple hours a week every day to spurt fruit trees with herbicides and pesticides I do once a year, to put lime and cut of the branches and it flowered very well this year compared to last when there was much dried branches and tree cancer on some because of temperature variations, even sensitive young trees flowered, but this cold front put it all in vain. It is definetely a bad choice to do any agriculture on larger scales in these times.

Last edited:
We're having a storm right now that is weird for our area. Thunderstormes are quite common here but not for this time of year. But what makes this one even more rare is we had some thundersnow! It then turned into a whole bunch of graupel. This is a pretty strong bullseye for Apr. 10!

Right after I posted this, I started to have doubts that this storm was actually Thundersnow. I was actually guessing even if it did fit the description from news stories I heard in the past and from the wiki. I mean, they are so rare here (even though Calgary had a good Thundersnow storm on Feb. 23, 2021, but then they always get wild weather). So I sent an email to Josh Classen, a meteorologist for CTV News in Edmonton, asking if I was right. He confirmed it was Thundersnow and grauple! Weird storm.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 5.54.09 PM.png

Last edited:
Here in AK, we are back to spring conditions after a 4 in. snow day, followed by a couple days of real cold overnight, single digit weather. (8-9°F)
The snow seems to be taking its time melting, but when the temp stays above freezing overnight, it'll speed up.

A fortnight of cold snap at the begin of April in Hungary, West of Ukraine. Today it was broken with the rain below:
Weather watch calculated 1mm precipitation for today. But I helped it along a little, so it became significantly more, like 5-10mm. Outside now feels warmish, promising an end to this ugly April cold snap. Meteorologist's chart doesn't show this warming-feel yet. Temp_End_of_AprialColdSnap_via_Rain.jpg
I observed two effects, while round-breathing in charge from the atmosphere ("turning into a capacitor").

1. Rain frequently falls - not straight down / perpendicularly - but lopsidedly, bent toward the [changed] focus of the accumulated atmospheric charge. This means in case I'm inside the house, rain keeps falling at the angle toward our door.

2. With the rain paused in the afternoon, I thought, I'd swiftly bicycle to the other end of the town for a quick shopping. As soon as I got out onto the street, the rain, which all day merely came down in pausing light drizzles started to come strongly lashing down, so my clothes got significantly drenched. As if the rain and its strength readily responded to [its magnet] the new 'focus of the atmospheric charge', now having stepped outside.

We desperately needed this rain for the Artesian well, which always improves to a stronger water-flow with rain. Its flow gets very poor, when there is no rain for weeks, which was the reason for this intervention.

I sure wish it would warm up here in SW France. Even when the sun is shining, there is a constant flow of cold air from the North. It's freezing or nearly freezing every night for the last 4 or 5 days or so. Now, it looks like rain, but no warming.

I sure wish it would warm up here in SW France. Even when the sun is shining, there is a constant flow of cold air from the North. It's freezing or nearly freezing every night for the last 4 or 5 days or so. Now, it looks like rain, but no warming.

My thought were lingering this morning

over France, as I studied the GFS weather prognosis charts for the next 14 days, as well the recent MIN & MAX temperatures there, (and of course I would think of you Laura, with everyone connected and present there), wondering how everyone feels about the chilly April weather that's been dragging without any warmth.

And Laura, you just wrote about the weather situation in SW France !

(I have this phenomena, that when I feel connected to people - I tend to follow the weather they are living in. This also (naturally) raises my curiosity, learning more about the weather character and patterns in a country)

It is one thing, to experience 9°C up here in Stockholm Sweden (which is a normal MAX temperature up here), but when you get 9°C in France during mid-April...and still frost... it must feel much colder for people living there. As I now look at the charts at 19.00, Friday 16 April 2021 and see its all kind the same in temperatures...

Paris: 9°C (48°F)
Dublin 11°C (52°F)
Berlin 9°C (48°F)
Warshawa 4°C (39°F)
Munich 6°C (42°F)
London 11°C (52°F)
Scottland 12°C (54°F)
Amsterdam 10°C (50°F)
Turino 6°C (42°F)
Barcelona 13°C (55°F)
Rome 12°C (54°F)
Oslo 12°C (54°F)
Helsinki 10°C (50°F)
Cagnes sur Mer 11°C (52°F)

It is only Portugal and the extreme SE of Spain as well parts of Greece and Turkey, which have summerlike temperatures above > 20°C. (68°F)

Those are really not impressive temperatures for mid April over Central Europe !

But - it has happened before (except for that record cold earlier). However - what is lacking - are those typical sudden warm air attacks, spilling into Central Europe (in between sudden inflows of chilly air, typical for April). There just hasn't been any warm air pushes...

The GFS prognosis charts for the next 14 days indicate continued chilly weather over Central Europe, which I suspect can give ground frost e.g in SE France at higher elevations (> 400 m) which could go on into the first days of May. SW France should experience slightly warmer, albeit unstable weather.

Important note:
Always take longer weather prognosis beyond day 5 with a grain of salt. They are notoriously changeable and unreliable !

Polar air mass • 16 April 2021
850 HPa level (1.5 km above the ground)

This chart is not to be mixed up with ground temperatures. This is a chart showing temperatures 1.5 km above the ground. I use this chart to visualize the kind of airmass we are dealing with. It shows beautifully, how chilly polar air, is flowing into Central Europe affecting a large area. This airmass appears to warm up rather slowly. It is also combined with wide spread low clouds, keeping temperatures low for this time of the year. As or if those dissipate during the night, you get moderate frost, such in entire Scandinavia, most parts of UK, some spots of Ireland, large portions of France and Germany, Switzerland, Austria, moderately elevated areas in Northern Spain, widespread areas over Balkan countries. Kind of most areas that are inside the green area registered frost.

GFSOPEU12_0_2.gif

Stockholm • 16 April 2021

Since three days we have absolutely beautiful sunny weather. Frost occurs very night still (also pretty normal, I would say), and only moderate "warmth" with 9-11°C at the most. But for us up here, when the sun is shining so brightly...aah and ooh... it is absolutely heaven (with a thick jacket on, of course) !

Last edited:
It's been unseasonably cold here in Ireland too. The last day of warm and sunny weather was two weeks ago. The frosty nights will come to an end for the next five days, but the weather service is warning of a return to frosty nights if a norteasterly flow returns by Wednesday. If that happens April 2021 will have been one of the coldest in a long time, although I'd doubt the media narrative will acknowledge it. Wish those old southwesterlies would return!

It's been unseasonably cold here in Ireland too. The last day of warm and sunny weather was two weeks ago. The frosty nights will come to an end for the next five days, but the weather service is warning of a return to frosty nights if a norteasterly flow returns by Wednesday. If that happens April 2021 will have been one of the coldest in a long time, although I'd doubt the media narrative will acknowledge it. Wish those old southwesterlies would return!
Isn't frost in Ireland in mid-April really unusual ?

Back
Top Bottom