What's the weather where you are?

Yesterday at around 12:15 it snowed quite strongly here in southwest germany for about half an hour while some of the snow didn’t melt for a couple of minutes. On the coming sunday (only 4 days later) the weatherforcast predicts around 26 degrees centigrade.

Brief snowflakes • Stockholm 7 May 2021

This morning around 04.30 i noticed snowflakes falling within the city of Stockholm City, as I drove the subway. It was nothing to write home about really, and nothing stayed on the ground. Yet, it is another date/year I can add to the many May months with snow events, that have happened since 2011 (while before that, only once per decade)

Trees are starting up here - but I have noticed that the pace is much slower in growth compared to images I took at the same time during the past years. Date wise however; trees, bushes, flowers, leafs are largely all on track.

_-2021-05-07-at-18.57.42.jpg

Temperatures in the City core of Stockholm
1 January - 7 May 2021

We had a generally falling temperature trend of MAX temperatures during the past weeks. However, finally soon large parts of Europe will experience significant warming. Yet for Stockholm this will be in a rather ambivalent manner (that's what you get a higher latitudes) but it might also affect central Europe, too.

The chart doesn't reveal the many (almost constantly occurring) frost nights we had in the suburbs, because Stockholm A station is located in the very city, where the nights stay a lot milder by up to 8°C difference compared with the outer / extreme suburbs.

_-2021-05-07-at-18.56.11.jpg

The illustration below shows the corresponding anomalies, also showing the cooling trend from the past weeks we have experienced. This chart is now compared to the new climate period e.g. 1991-2020.

_-2021-05-07-at-18.55.30.jpg

Amazing switch in Temperatures • Stockholm
11 May 2021

A hazy warm front came along to Stockholm on 9 May 2021, giving anew rain and everything - but behind the front, the warm air started to penetrate Southern Sweden. Yesterday it made a big difference, albeit mostly in South Sweden inland, with temperatures up to a whopping 27.8°C [82°F] in a place called Horn and 27.6°C [81.6°F] in Målilla (I say "whopping", because the temperatures have been abysmal for weeks). Of course similar patterns have prevailed over West and Central Europe with far too cold temperatures. The other day Berlin had 10°C (50°F), then 31°C (87.8°F) yesterday and the day before.

I made a comparison chart of Sweden, showing temperatures at 16:00 on the day of 5 May vs. 10 May 2021 (plus a few MAX temperatures I added for 10th may) The differences are significant.

"Walking out of an airplane... as if in springtime Mediterranean"

In Stockholm, we "only" reached 17.4°C [63.3°F] in the City yesterday - and yet, even there the feeling is amazing and profound: It reminds of entering a plane in cold Stockholm - and when landing in Sicily (Catania), it is all warm, even in the evening. A weird, magical unreal-real feeling

That exact feeling I get now, just moments ago as we walked out with Tekki the dog - and I just couldn't believe.... that it really is warm. Like finding a long lost friend... because after all, it is almost mid-May and we still haven't had any day reaching 20°C.

The outlook for Stockholm, calls for sunshine and warmth another 3 days - but then it is predicted (according GFS) to go down and stay there more or less - so the deviation from normal max temperatures will, if true, remain a lot below normal. (see last chart no 3)

Take it with a Grain of Salt ! :whistle:

I do however take it with a grain of salt with those longer computer model predictions, because of the "garbage in - garbage out" principle which comes true more often than not beyond day 4 or 5 of any prognosis. As they change literally every 6 hours, always showing different weather scenarios at the long end of their prognosis (day 5-14)

2021-05-09-05-48-30.jpg

_-2021-05-11-at-08.11.15.jpg

_-2021-05-11-at-11.43.08.jpg

Where i live in the southern province of Algarve, Portugal, there is a fresh wind blowing and temp around 18C with sun and some clouds. However, in the interior of the country, especially in the mountains, it is really cold and it snowed with a stream of frigid polar air coming in. As a result, the temperature dropped some 12C below the seasonal average and May snowstorms have set in. This is very rare, although it happened last year in April as well.

1620759031485.png

Thunderstorms & Hail, South of Stockholm
22 May 2021 12.40

Yesterday in Stockholm clouds started to grow considerably, albeit the weather situation didn't call for anything dramatic... nor was it particularly warm, just 14°C - 16.5°C (57°F to 62°F)... but thunderstorms emerged rapidly - while the densest center (rain radar echo) went straight over my area where I live - south of Stockholm City. It dumped quite a lot of hail (in a relative sense), which I have not seen for a long time.

I have to go back to an event in July 1985 (?) to find more hail - which was in only one location at the time - around a plaza called Odenplan (Heart of Stockholm) - where I lived - and people had spontaneous snowball war, due to the huge amounts of hail that had come down (it was truly a remarkable event)

Anyway, yesterday's event wasn't nearly as extreme - but noteworthy. You know our weather in Sweden just isn't as dramatic compared to other parts of the world. Still, the rooftops started to turn white - so it was a bit more than your usual hail event up here.

My husband was in the very city center, but only some rain came, no hail. The temperatures had gone up to 16.5°C [61.7°F] before the event, and then dropped to 9-10°C (48-50°F). And then back up again.

_-2021-05-22-at-13.10.38.jpg

2021-05-22-12-53-37.jpg

2021-05-22-12-42.jpg

2021-05-22-12-37.jpg

2021-05-22-12-42-09.jpg

It is 23 degrees C here in NRW germany, but it is heavy overcast with a storm warning of wind rain and tunder.
Something is brewing - for last 10-15min I hear rumble!
And it doesn’t stop!
Usually when storm is approaching, you hear a rumble in the distance and then pause and then rumble again and so on...
But this is constant rumble with no pause like everlasting cargo train in the sky and now is approaching.
It’s still in the sky, no pause, now as I type....
Maybe that’s normal in some parts of the world but I‘ve never experienced that in Croatia or here in Germany....
Anyway, I find it strange...

The weather in Alaska is a little cool, but not too far from normal. It was a sunny day and around 65° to 70°F.
A couple days ago, it was windy - enough for some people to fly kites... and the wind carried warm air, which seems the opposite of what you'd expect. And when the wind ceased at times, you'd feel the coolness, but as the wind picked up, it felt warm again.
Today it was similar, but not so noticeable.

Usual rainy "monsoon" month of May passed with flip-flopping warm -->then chilly in the next hour and back <--, all within a day, repeating for weeks in Hungary, ~90 miles west of the Ukrainian border.
June is similar to last years so far: when the sun is out it promises sweltering heat. Overcast skies bring chill and minimal rain, grey clouds clear up fast. No cold-snap extremes, like in above posts.

Our cherry [sweet & crunchy fruit] tree dropped several of its green & slightly red baby-fruits from the top branches, they cover the ground [probably sensitive to cold snaps]. The apricot tree finally bears fruit again after a year of total pause. Strawberry is behaving like a fruit volcano: insane growth! Neighbors, acquaintances are getting our produce - this sweet, weak non-food poison -, let them have their fill! Peach tree is growing produce, like a battle tank: although past years produce was very quick to rot & get wormy.
Sour cherry [fruit Intelligent Design gone bad] is completely oblivious to 'End-of-Times'-weather: this lemon-strength sour "soft balloon of a fruit" appears indestructible, grows like crazy and the ground below the tree is clean, doesn't drop its green produce. May even survive a nuclear fallout?

Last edited:
After a few days of summer temperatures, now we are at 22 degrees here in west DE.
It would be nice if it wasn’t for a cold strong wind.

I‘m schocked now watching Earth changes summary for May; the amount of floods all over the world is astonishing!!!! 😱

I cannot recall last time summary was almost exclusively about floods…

Big rains here in Victoria, Australia.. We've been without electricity or even cell phone signal for the last few days. Power just came back on in my town with some temporary generators.. There hasn't been much disastrous flooding near me that I know of, just lines down etc I think, but just catching up on news now.. I love the sort of community spirit that always seems to arise at times like this - lots of people out walking around being friendly and helpful and such. The creek near my house is huge and fast now, course changed somewhat, water everywhere...

Stockholm

During the past weeks we have basically gone full summer - which feels a bit unreal - after the loooong sluggish wait for warm temperatures. Then suddenly - you are right in the middle of it…

Yet, this is what weather can do up here in Scandinavia - and has done so in the past (some years, summers are just not much of a summer). A few times they can be hot, on the verge of continental. Most of them are average, always changeable in character. Rainfall, showers, and some sunny days. Moderately warm.

Hail and rain event

On Saturday 12 June 2021, we had thunderstorms and another hail event. This time the hail was more glassy (and therefore less visible in photos). However the rain that came down over my area (south of Stockholm) must have been much more than what the meteorological grid was able to capture.

A nearby station 7 km away, called Tullinge, registered only 12mm. Other stations even less. At my place it must been at least 20-25mm rain. I had left a deep plate on my on the balcony which is around 25mm deep and it was all water filled (after hastily removing all my plants because they already had gotten beaten up by the last hail event from 22 may)

Sinkhole like event ?

Now on Sunday 13 June 2021 - at my neighboring subway station Högdalen (Highvalley), a flooding event took place, rendering both station and traffic useless. I assume the hail event from Saturday did some voodoo underground…

Högdalen is not really a “high valley”, rather the opposite; A valley. A place where water can collect.

Today the station (and traffic) were still disabled and i got some details from the subway drivers at work:

Apparently a larger deep hole had opened in the ground (sinkhole -ish ?!) plus on top - water pipes later broke, adding to the situation. I have not seen it myself, because i never had the chance to pass by directly (yet). Maybe in the morning when i drive out of the depot, i may get a glimpse…

Apparently the situation will take several days to fix. I only saw this evening a large truck / tank outside the station, still pumping up water.

The info from drivers are often a bit sketchy, because everyone describes things differently. (Rumor mill). I have heard of flooding in Stockholm before - but not of “sinkholes”. On the other hand, i do not know if it truly qualifies for the label ‘sinkhole’…

I will post a few photos of the hail/rain event from Saturday, when I get back home.

Stockholm

During the past weeks we have basically gone full summer - which feels a bit unreal - after the loooong sluggish wait for warm temperatures. Then suddenly - you are right in the middle of it…

Yet, this is what weather can do up here in Scandinavia - and has done so in the past (some years, summers are just not much of a summer). A few times they can be hot, on the verge of continental. Most of them are average, always changeable in character. Rainfall, showers, and some sunny days. Moderately warm.

Hail and rain event

On Saturday 12 June 2021, we had thunderstorms and another hail event. This time the hail was more glassy (and therefore less visible in photos). However the rain that came down over my area (south of Stockholm) must have been much more than what the meteorological grid was able to capture.

A nearby station 7 km away, called Tullinge, registered only 12mm. Other stations even less. At my place it must been at least 20-25mm rain. I had left a deep plate on my on the balcony which is around 25mm deep and it was all water filled (after hastily removing all my plants because they already had gotten beaten up by the last hail event from 22 may)

Sinkhole like event ?

Now on Sunday 13 June 2021 - at my neighboring subway station Högdalen (Highvalley), a flooding event took place, rendering both station and traffic useless. I assume the hail event from Saturday did some voodoo underground…

Högdalen is not really a “high valley”, rather the opposite; A valley. A place where water can collect.

Today the station (and traffic) were still disabled and i got some details from the subway drivers at work:

Apparently a larger deep hole had opened in the ground (sinkhole -ish ?!) plus on top - water pipes later broke, adding to the situation. I have not seen it myself, because i never had the chance to pass by directly (yet). Maybe in the morning when i drive out of the depot, i may get a glimpse…

Apparently the situation will take several days to fix. I only saw this evening a large truck / tank outside the station, still pumping up water.

The info from drivers are often a bit sketchy, because everyone describes things differently. (Rumor mill). I have heard of flooding in Stockholm before - but not of “sinkholes”. On the other hand, i do not know if it truly qualifies for the label ‘sinkhole’…

I will post a few photos of the hail/rain event from Saturday, when I get back home.

As promised a couple photos from the rain & hail event in Stockholm Snösätra / Rågsved, Saturday, 12 Jun 2021 - which locally appeared to have it's peak over the area where I live (including subway station Högdalen) - while other (weather) stations received much less rain. Still... 1" isn't really that much, even if it came down within 15-20 minutes...

2021-06-12-17-37-05.jpg2021-06-12-17-44-24.jpg

Subway station Högdalen station is still closed; lots of people and emergency vehicles - many hoses being led into the ground, sucking up water still, 2 days later. I wasn't able to get that close (to make a photo), because as the driver on duty I am not allowed to just stop the train as I please - and have to drive all the way into the station - to the end of the platform - which was the opposite of where the sinkhole was.

The hole was basically right near / under the high voltage "track" (I don't know what that is called in english. In Swedish it is "strömskenan") For a passenger, a journey of 13 minutes to get home, took now 1 hour.

Back
Top Bottom