What's Your Name's Meaning??? Etymology and history of Names

My name is an English form of the name, which in turn is a Greek form of the name that is a Hebrew name, meaning "YAHWEH remembers" or "Lord remembers." My short name of this name means "Pure," according to one site.

My English name, Jason, means 'to heal', which, I think, pretty accurately defines what I am trying to do here. Other than that, there is also the reference to 'Jason and the argonauts', which I think needs no real explanation.

However, I have two little stories which might be of interest concerning my Chinese name and my GF's name:

My Chinese name, unlike most foreigners living in Taiwan, was chosen for me by a Taiwanese friend of my parents when I was two years old, and thus, I felt quite attached to this name and, like my English name, didn't want to alter it.

But then, after I started learning Chinese calligraphy about three months ago, my teacher asked me about my name, since, as is the tradition with writing Chinese poetry, I would need a "stamp" cut for me with my name's characters inscribed into the rock.

As it turns out, they don't inscribe modern day Chinese characters into the seal, they use an older form of the characters known as "seal characters". Now, my name in Chinese is: 鄴杰昇, which was chosen for me because of the similarity, I assume, to the sound of my English name, Jason (Jie Shen). However, I was told that I wouldn't be able to use that middle character, since this character, 杰, was a recent addition to the written language, and a simpification for the character 傑.

I asked my teacher to change the middle character, then she sent it off to a very well known seal cutter in Taiwan... Before she did this, though, she showed the name to a fortune teller/numerologist friend to find out its numerological significance.

Without going into the details, although I would be happy to explicate further, it turned out that the numerology of this name was extremely unlucky, so my teacher asked me to choose a more "suitable" name.

Now, I'm by no means superstitious, but I was simply blown away by how accurately she described my personality with JUST my date of birth and my Chinese astrological sign, I mean, she was SPOT ON!!

Anyway, apparently I had to Choose two new names (For those who don't know, in Chinese names, the surname is the first character, while the last two characters are the first names/given names. So, my surname in Chinese, which cannot be changed, is 鄴, while the characters that can be altered is 杰 and 昇), the first one composing of 11 strokes, and the second with 10 strokes, so I looked through a book, wrote down the charcters that interested me, and my choices were, I must add, profoundly influenced by my study of Chinese internal alchemy, that is to say, I basically chose words that were significant in terms of alchemical meanings...

The fortune teller asked me to find some combinations that interested me, and I chose 乾庭, which means:

http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterASP/CharacterEtymology.aspx?characterInput=%E4%B9%BE&submitButton1=Etymology

and:

http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterASP/CharacterEtymology.aspx?characterInput=%E5%BA%AD&submitButton1=Etymology

To put it simply, the first character refers to the Yi Jing, or the book of changes, as the first and last trigram, 乾坤, or heaven and earth. The second character refers to 黃庭, or the "yellow middle", referring to the point in between the eyes where one fixes concentration upon meditation.

Thee fortune teller analysed it and said this was the perfect name for me, to, as she put it: "Wake up your soul/calling". Funnily enough, she joked that in Chinese, the name sounds like "submarine", which she said was perfect since a submarine can only push forwards, never backwards. The association to water also suits my star sign as a pisces!

I will be happy to expand upon other meanings and significances if anyone feels inclined to ask, but, I am quite chuffed to say the least!

The other point of POSSIBLE intrigue is that of the English name chosen by my GF (Who is Taiwanese). She is called Devon in English, she chose this name purely because she found it interesting. I was reading the secret history of the world for the second time when I noticed the name's similarity to "Danu", or "Dan" of Celtic origin.

I did some digging and found that, indeed, there was a possible link between the two names. Which would mean that she chose the Celtic name for the constellation Cassiopeia!!

How strange is that?! It's a funny old world...

Hello everyone,

Interesting thread! ;) It is also funny that very few of us -if any- really choose the names we are given ourselves if you think of it...

Where i come from (Greece), the newborns are usually named after one of their grand parents, so what happens in the end is a lot of "recycling" of a few certain names in some families. Following this tradition, the name that was given to me was "Spyros" (or "Spyridon" in it's full form) which was my grandfather's name on my father's side. He was in his final days when i was born, as he was fighting with cancer, and he finally died when i was 7 months old. I guess it must have been nice for my dieing grandfather to have his only grandson named after him. So there i was... i became a "Spyros".
My name is quite common in Greece, maybe beaten only by few names like "Yannis" (John), "Giorgos" (George), "Nikos" (Nick) and "Kostas" (Costantine). Of course if were to move a little southern to the beautiful island of Cyprus, i would probably get even for good :P as the name "Spyros" is really common in Cyprus, both as a first name as well as a last name. So names like "Spyros Spyrou" exist in Cyprus.

As for the actual etymology of the name, there are a few different opinions that i came across through the years:

1# In Greek, the name Spyridon means- round basket. The name Spyridon originated as a Greek name. The name Spyridon is most often used as a boy name or male name.
Greek Name Meaning - round basket
Origin - Greece

2# Spyridon (Ancient Greek: Σπυρίδων; Modern Greek: Σπυρίδωνας) is a Greek male given name. As with most Greek names nowadays, it is shortened to Σπύρος (Spyros, often Anglicised as Spyro or Spiro) since Spyridon sounds too archaic and ecclesiastical. The name's origins are traced to Latin spiritum and the Roman praenomen Spurius.

3# Spiro may derive from the Jewish Shapiro. Wikipedia says for "Shapiro":
One theory suggests that it derives from Shpira, the Hebrew/Yiddish name for Spira (Hebrew: שפירא‎, pronounced Shpira), the medieval name of Speyer, Germany.[1] [2] The Jewish community of Speyer was an important centre in the development of Ashkenazi culture. Other name variants are Sapiro, Spira, Spira, Spire, Spiro, Spero, Chapiro, Sprai, Szpir, Szpiro, Saphir and Spear. The name "Speyer" has also become a well-known surname that was spread by Jews from Frankfurt to England, the United States and Canada in the late 19th and early 20th century.

According to another theory, the word Shapiro is Aramaic (probably derived from the Hebrew word sapir (ספיר), usually translated as "sapphire", which refers not to the sapphire gemstone but to the lapis lazuli, and is reputed to be the stone which represented the tribe of Issachar on the breastplate of the high priest of Israel and thus identifies the Shapiro family with that tribe) and appears, for example, in the 11th Century Aramaic-language Jewish religious poem Akdamus a.k.a. Akdamuth (line 45) and in Onkelos's commentary on Genesis 29:17. Onkelos's commentary, believed to have been written around 110 CE, long predated the naming of Speyer (as Spira) in approximately 500 CE, and therefore has given rise to a family tradition that the city was renamed for the family and not vice versa.[citation needed]

In Aramaic, "Shapeer" means "fine".

So there are three different etymologies for my name. But i would prefer to be a humble "round basket" as the first meaning suggests, rather than having a Jewish name which means "the stone on the breastplate of the high priest of Israel"! But personally i prefer the second, which is the Latin "spiritum".

What is also "funny" regarding names, is the metaphysical notion i had read somewhere which said that you can somehow "contact" or "control" an entity by knowing and speaking it's True name or sort of. I am only referring to this as a possible indication of how important could our "names" be. What is sure is that every name carries a certain meaning etymologically and certain "vibration", even as a simple waveform of sound. At the end, i only wish we had a second chance to choose our names again once we come of age...

Thank you,
:)

spyraal said:
At the end, i only wish we had a second chance to choose our names again once we come of age...

I think the Native American way of naming somebody after their chief feature is a nice one. As for your wish to choose your own name, you could use the existence of this forum and give yourself the name you'd like to have. ;)

sevensama said:
My name could not be found easily in any database, but it sure is fun to check out the meanings of other names. I have been wondering about the origins of my name though, as my parents picked it at random after hearing it from friends and deciding that they liked the sound of it. According to some Dutch sites, 'Nanja' means 'rebellious' and I think I remember reading before that it's origins lie in the Slavic languages, yet search machines like to 'automatically correct' my search entry to 'Ninja' :P it seems not to be a popular name.

Nanja or Nana means "dear grandmother" or "nanny", which is in many cultures about the same. Also is female nick name for a person (woman) who is very close and dear.

Hi, I'm Unexpected :) (or Nenad in original) In my language when someone is named Nenad, because of the one old folklore tale he usually have brother whose name is Predrag (which would be "the one who is too dear" :) )

jhonny said:
I really do not know much about my name but I have a story to him.
Usually my name is spelled like this: Johny but when I was born (in Colombia), my grandfather lived in USA and wanted me to give an "American" name so he said to my dad that I had to call Johny but my father didn't know the spelling of the name so I registered as Jhonny.
Logically a person who speaks English sees a mistake on my name.

As one John to another I can relate to this. I found an old book when I was learning to write my name and I scrawled out "Jhon".

Actually it is probably MORE correct phonetically as the first sort of reference I have come across is Ionnes.... The Fish Man. This sort of ties into the story of Jonah (who was swallowed by a big fish) and also relates to Capricorn, the goat with a fish tail.

I always make the same mistake when writing the name John. Good to know it's phonetically more correct :)

Found interesting article: A Brief Introduction to the History of Names

on: http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/names/namehist.html

But somehow writer forgot to mention Sanskrit names, and language, since this is one of the oldest languages on the planet.

For example:

Aadi = meaning: the First, from there lot of similarities with: Aadidev = The first god, Ancient god and Aadinath = God, Supreme Ruler of the Universe. Are we looking on oldest written records of the personal name ( is there some connection to the Adam - the first human according to Judeo Christianity?) and the name of the Deity: Aadidev.

Interesting to mention: Aaryan, Aryan means: Illustrious, Noble, Spiritual.

Here are Some Sanskrit names for the God: Dev, Deb, (Devak = Divine) and Goddess: Devii, Devi (are we looking to some connection to Deus, Zeus, Dios and many variations of the names connected to the same, like: DIODOTUS m Ancient Greek (Latinized)- form of Διοδοτος (Diodotos), a Greek name which meant "giver of Zeus" from Διος (Dios) meaning "of ZEUS" and δοτης (dotes) meaning "giver" or DIOGENES m Ancient Greek Means "born of Zeus" from Greek Διος (Dios) meaning "of ZEUS" and γενης (genes) meaning "born"

Now here is peculiar Sanskrit name for Buddha: Gotum, Gautam (similar to English god and Germanic got), and Gurdev = Almighty God & Guru = Teacher, Master, Priest

more similarities with comtemporary languages: Naveen, Navin = New

or other ancient languages Ravi = Sun (same base of the word "Ra" as Egyptian for the sun god)

For more Sanskrit names see: http://www.indianhindunames.com/sanskrit-names-boy.htm

examples of similarities with Sanskrit language:

S (Sanskrit): Maatrkaa = Croatian, Serbian Bosnian: Majka= Mother
S: Maatr= Mati (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian)= Mom
S: Taata= Tata (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian)= Father, Padre (Italian),
S Bhraatr= Brat (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian)= Brother
S: Sodaryaa= Sorella (Italian) Sister
S: Sunnu= Sin(Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian), Son
S: Duhitr, Dauhitra= Dottir (Islandic) Daughter
S: SnuSaa= Snaša (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian) Daughter in law
S: Narah= Narod (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian) People
S: Sahas= Snaga (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian), Strenght
S: Kundaliikaa= Kružnica, Kružna, Krug (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian), Circle
S: Vaata= Vjetar (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian), Wind
S: Hrd, Hrdaya, Hrdha= Heart
S: Keza, Kezah, Kesara= Kosa (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian) Hair
S: Dure, Duram, Duure= Door
S: Vaara= Vrata (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Doorway
S: Manuja, Manusja= Man
S: Svapana= Spavanje (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian) Sleeping
S: Svapna= San (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian), Dream
S: Mrtyu= Mrtav (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Death
S: Nakstara, taaraa= Star
S: Camati= Comet
S: Mira= More (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian), Morje (Slovenian), Mare (Italian), Sea
S: Laghu= Light
S: Samgita= Song
S: Mahaatman= Mighty
S: Dalika= Delicacy
S: Dalasa= Dialogue
S: Atti= Eat
S: Dhe= Drink
S: Rohita, Ruhidra= Red
S: Stambh= Stani (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Stop
S: Jiv= Živ (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) to live
S: Dina= Dan (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Day
S: Dam= Dom (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Home, House
S: Khaadana= Hrana (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Food
S: Vaari= Water
S: Daarva= Drveen (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Wooden

more on: http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&tinput=small&country_ID=&trans=Translate&direction=AU

I'm sure we could find much more connection between Sanskrit and European languages (for me it was the easiest way to compare it with Ex Yugoslavian languages, since I know them the best), perhaps lot of our modern names are transmuted forms of Sanskrit originals....,...

I always found fascinating and puzzling how some words from Sanskrit are closely related to some words in Slavic languages and very far from similar words in Germanic languages and then some other words are much closer to Germanic languages; and then finally there are universal ones like for example brahtair=brother=brat

Herr Eisenheim said:
I always found fascinating and puzzling how some words from Sanskrit are closely related to some words in Slavic languages and very far from similar words in Germanic languages and then some other words are much closer to Germanic languages; and then finally there are universal ones like for example brahtair=brother=brat

Amazing, isn't it? Perhaps that means Sanskrit is one of ancient building bricks to the most of modern European languages and perhaps base for certain Asian languages, it would be so nice if we could found other parts of equation (unknown ancient languages entangled with our own), on that way we could solve many mysteries in linguistic primordial soup, and of course all ancient names and their mysteries could be solved, even some still unknown meanings from sagas, legends and myths could be solved, imagine that....,....

Well, perhaps it's time to start to learn Sanskrit ;).

My real name is LYDIA due to my father who saw a movie with this title and supposedly felt in love with the movie. I think it is a very bad and romantic movie but it showed me a different side of the character of my dear father. Lydia is also the name of an oriental city, and I love to read about travels in those countries with very ancient cultures. In fact when I read about those countries I have the impression that I have been there. Lydia was also a very important bussines woman who became christian. I have to say that I am very little bussines, in fact I have nothing bussines in me but like the Lydia of the Bible, I am good in organising people, I have a strong and bad character and I like to boss. I was perfect, some years ago, organising a Comunity Center and bossing around like the Lydia who also created a Comunity Center and was very happy receiving the apostles to dinner. That's what they said about her, I don't know if its true.

I always loved and still love my name who is for me something very ancient, and is like a good companion (my name).

It is fascinating to see the etymology of words. Very often, when I feel depress I just take my etymological dictionnary and read some words. To see the roots of words its like to travel in time, very stimulant. Thanks for the information and the discussion. :cool2:

My real name is Fernando (Ferdinand) of Germanic origin, meaning
Ferdinand: /ˈfɜrdnˌænd; Ger. ˈfɛrdɪˌnɑnt/
–noun
It is a Germanic given name composed of the words for "prepared"/"protection"/"safety"/"peace" (frithu) and "journey"/"boldness"/"recklessness" (nantha). It is particularly common in nations and regions that were settled by the Visigoths: Fernán, Fernando, Hernando, and Hernán in Spanish, Ferran in Catalan, and Fernando and Fernão in Portuguese. The Visigoths originally pronounced it as Frithnanth, later its Latinized form Frithunantus was pronounced that way by the Romans. According to Visigothic tradition it means "ardent for peace."
masc. proper name, of Germanic origin, first element perhaps P.Gmc. *farthi, abstract noun from base *far- "to fare, travel" (see fare (v.)); second element perhaps related to O.E. neðan, O.H.G. nendan "to risk, venture."
The French forms are Ferrand, Fernand, and Fernandel, and it is Ferdinando and Fernando in Italian. The Finnish version is Veeti.

The feminine version is the Spanish Fernanda.

Tristan meaning and name origin

Tristan \t-ris-tan, tr(i)-stan\ as a boy's name (also used as girl's name Tristan), is pronounced TRISS-tan. It is of Celtic origin. From a Celtic name. In Arthurian legend, Tristan (sometimes called Tristram) was a Knight of the Round Table and the tragic hero of the medieval tale "Tristan and Isolde". The tale has been retold in many poems and operas. This ancient name may derive from a Pictish original, Drostan, but the form was probably influenced by the French term "triste", meaning "sad". The name is popular in Spain.

Tristan has 9 variant forms: Tris, Tristam, Tristen, Tristian, Tristin, Triston, Tristram, Tristyn and Trystan.
more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristan; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristan_and_Iseult
Tristan page from Camelot project: http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/trismenu.htm

This is an interesting thread. :cool: :cool2:

What you write about Deus below is interesting Ljubica, it brings to mind:

Διοτίμα

a compound form of, as you list below, Διος (Dios) meaning "of ZEUS" and τίμαῶ - meaning "honour" - translating to "honoured by Zeus".

Diotima is the seer Socrates describes, during Plato's Symposium, as having taught him about philosophy and divine, "platonic" love.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diotima_of_Mantinea

Ljubica said:
Found interesting article: A Brief Introduction to the History of Names

on: http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/names/namehist.html

But somehow writer forgot to mention Sanskrit names, and language, since this is one of the oldest languages on the planet.

For example:

Aadi = meaning: the First, from there lot of similarities with: Aadidev = The first god, Ancient god and Aadinath = God, Supreme Ruler of the Universe. Are we looking on oldest written records of the personal name ( is there some connection to the Adam - the first human according to Judeo Christianity?) and the name of the Deity: Aadidev.

Interesting to mention: Aaryan, Aryan means: Illustrious, Noble, Spiritual.

Here are Some Sanskrit names for the God: Dev, Deb, (Devak = Divine) and Goddess: Devii, Devi (are we looking to some connection to Deus, Zeus, Dios and many variations of the names connected to the same, like: DIODOTUS m Ancient Greek (Latinized)- form of Διοδοτος (Diodotos), a Greek name which meant "giver of Zeus" from Διος (Dios) meaning "of ZEUS" and δοτης (dotes) meaning "giver" or DIOGENES m Ancient Greek Means "born of Zeus" from Greek Διος (Dios) meaning "of ZEUS" and γενης (genes) meaning "born"

Now here is peculiar Sanskrit name for Buddha: Gotum, Gautam (similar to English god and Germanic got), and Gurdev = Almighty God & Guru = Teacher, Master, Priest

more similarities with comtemporary languages: Naveen, Navin = New

or other ancient languages Ravi = Sun (same base of the word "Ra" as Egyptian for the sun god)

For more Sanskrit names see: http://www.indianhindunames.com/sanskrit-names-boy.htm

examples of similarities with Sanskrit language:

S (Sanskrit): Maatrkaa = Croatian, Serbian Bosnian: Majka= Mother
S: Maatr= Mati (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian)= Mom
S: Taata= Tata (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian)= Father, Padre (Italian),
S Bhraatr= Brat (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian)= Brother
S: Sodaryaa= Sorella (Italian) Sister
S: Sunnu= Sin(Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian), Son
S: Duhitr, Dauhitra= Dottir (Islandic) Daughter
S: SnuSaa= Snaša (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian) Daughter in law
S: Narah= Narod (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian) People
S: Sahas= Snaga (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian), Strenght
S: Kundaliikaa= Kružnica, Kružna, Krug (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian), Circle
S: Vaata= Vjetar (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian), Wind
S: Hrd, Hrdaya, Hrdha= Heart
S: Keza, Kezah, Kesara= Kosa (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian) Hair
S: Dure, Duram, Duure= Door
S: Vaara= Vrata (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Doorway
S: Manuja, Manusja= Man
S: Svapana= Spavanje (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian) Sleeping
S: Svapna= San (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian), Dream
S: Mrtyu= Mrtav (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Death
S: Nakstara, taaraa= Star
S: Camati= Comet
S: Mira= More (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian), Morje (Slovenian), Mare (Italian), Sea
S: Samgita= Song
S: Mahaatman= Mighty
S: Dalika= Delicacy
S: Dalasa= Dialogue
S: Atti= Eat
S: Dhe= Drink
S: Rohita, Ruhidra= Red
S: Stambh= Stani (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Stop
S: Jiv= Živ (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) to live
S: Dina= Dan (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Day
S: Dam= Dom (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Home, House
S: Khaadana= Hrana (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Food
S: Vaari= Water
S: Daarva= Drveen (Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian) Wooden

more on: http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&tinput=small&country_ID=&trans=Translate&direction=AU

I'm sure we could find much more connection between Sanskrit and European languages (for me it was the easiest way to compare it with Ex Yugoslavian languages, since I know them the best), perhaps lot of our modern names are transmuted forms of Sanskrit originals....,...

My given name is Cynthia. Per the database:

Latinized form of Greek Κυνθια (Kynthia) which means "woman from Kynthos". This was an epithet of the Greek moon goddess Artemis, given because Kynthos was the mountain on Delos on which she and her twin brother Apollo were born. It was not used as a given name until the Renaissance, and it did not become common in the English-speaking world until the 19th century

Back
Top Bottom