What's Your Name's Meaning??? Etymology and history of Names

Juba

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
We all carry names, nick names, some of us even pseudonyms, but what is the real meaning of some name, how it changed culturally, historically and linguistically, last but not the least why your parents chose that particular name and not some other, what numerology and phonetics have to say about your name, all these guestions are pretty interesting and when I commenced to dig about my own name and than about names of my family and friends I came to pretty peculiar information.

My name is Ljubica, I checked on: http://www.behindthename.com/name/ljubica, and this is what I found:

LJUBICA (pronounced as LYUWBihKah), approx English pronunciation for Ljubica: L as in "lee (L.IY)" ; Y as in "yield (Y.IY.L.D)" ; UW as in "two (T.UW)" ; B as in "be (B.IY)" ; IH as in "it (IH.T)" ; K as in "key (K.IY)" ; AH as in "hut (HH.AH.T)"

Usage: Croatian, Serbian, Slovene, Macedonian, Russian (Ljuba), Dalmatian (Juba, Jubica), English (Violet), Italian, Latin (Violeta), ProtoSlavic: Ljuba, Liubica, Liubyca

From the Slavic element lyub meaning "love" or "kiss", where -ica is a diminutive suffix. Also, Ljubica means violet, while the actual flower is Ljubičica, a superdiminutive. It is Serbian-Croatian, Macedonian, Monetnegrin, Bosnian in origin, used throughout the former Yugoslavia.

Lyubitsa is the Bulgarian variant.

Ljuba or Liuba or Luba is Russian variant.

Ľubica is the Slovak variant.

Ljubomir, Ljubiša or Ljubo is male variant of the same name in Ex Yugoslavia

Names that sound like Ljubica include the Slavic Libusa, the Scandinavian Lovisa, and the Scandinavian Lovise. Hm-mm, I live in Loviste, what a coincidence, although Lovište in Croatian language have different meaning.

Ha, I was surprised when I found this on: http://birthvillage.com/baby-name.php?name=Ljubica

Numerological Meaning (For Entertainment Purposes Only)
People with this name tend to be very logical thinkers. It is very important for them to have a rigid routine. Many of their actions are quite calculated and thought out. Professionally, they can be successful as an Administrator, team player, or small business owner.

Well, I don't know about rigid routine and any kind of calculations but OK it's for entertainment purposes.

On: http://www.pokemyname.com/firstname_47515_ljubica.htm

I found this:

LJUBICA is the most popular 16396.th name in USA (... 16394.abdulilah , 16395.pranjivan , 16396.ljubica , 16397.riddell , 16398.mckean ...). One in every 234,068 Americans is named LJUBICA and popularity of name LJUBICA is 4.27 people per million.

If we compare the popularity statistics of LJUBICA to USA's population statistics, we can estimate that as of December.04.2010 04:35 there are 1,328 people named as LJUBICA in the United States and the number is increasing by 11 people every year.

Usage of ljubica as a first name is extremely more common than its usage as a middle name. The sum of alphabetical order of letters in LJUBICA is 58 and this makes LJUBICA arithmetic buddies with words like Credible, Adorable, Ethical, Star, Tidy, Fragile.

The Violet flower or Ljubičica or Ljubica on Serb Croatian is connected with: Modesty, faithfulness, innocence, understated beauty. Worn by the ancient Greeks to induce sleep and to calm tempers. Associated with the fifieth wedding anniversary. Also known as the birthflower of February

Now something intriguing:

Dr. Konstantin Korotkov who studied Kirlian's techniques and advanced them to the next level of recording auras, made interesting experiment of: "sending love" mentally, from one person in love to other person in love, the photos made by Korotkov show that aura of people in love with "love" energy they sending to eachother is of violet color, now wait, ancient Slavs knew about color of love, and it's Violet not red, after all how could they associate Violet, Ljubica, Ljuba or LOVE=LJUBAV on Croatian Serbian, to the feeling of love if they did not know the true color of Love (BTW red is color of anger, not love, so if you buying all these red hearts for Valentines you might send wrong subliminal messages to person you love, start making violet hearts:-)) (Photo of love sending attached).

Well that was more than enough about Ljubica, my husband's name is Zoran.

ZORAN (z(o)-ra-n)

Usage: Czech, Slovak, Croatian, Serbian, Slovene, Bulgarian, Macedonian, proto Slavic: Zorjan, Zoryan, Zorran

Other Scripts: Зораn or Зоран (Serbian, Bulgarian, Macedonian)

From a South and West Slavic word meaning "dawn, aurora"Of the dawn, rise of sun, daybreak, a. handsome, a. well-made also from verb zoran: exemplary (archaic Slavic)

Multiple Variations in different languages both male and female: Zorica, Zora, Zorana, Zore, Zorin, Zorina (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, Macedonian), Aurora, Aurelio, Auroro, Mauro, Maurice, Maura, Zahra, Zohra, Zohar, Zoryana, Zoreen, Zoharan, Zorine also Eja or Eos (Ἠώς, Êốs) in Greek mythology goddess of the down and daybreak colors, daughter of Titan Hyperion and his wife Tia, pandan to Latin goddess Aurora and the light they bring is rhododactylos, or rose color, Eja or Eos name comes from the *hwews- = "shining", together with Êốs i αὔριον, aurion = "tomorrow", or aushra = "zora" te áuksas = "gold", in daybreak lat. aurôra = "zora" i aurum = "gold", in Archaic Indo European languages = "istok" (engl. east, German. Ost, Lat. Este, D'este, Levante, Levantino)

OK, that was more less all I could find about our names, I wonder if we were attracted by our names via our parents or names were attracted to us on some still unknown way, after all, words have powers, meanings as well, it would be great to know if the name we are living with define us in all what we do and how we live, according to numerology; names & DOB are one of most important information that define us all. Well, what you know about your name or name of your parents, friends, love ones, check out, search, learn, after all learning should be fun.

Nomen est omen :)

Attachments

• Korotkov love sending violet aura.jpg
    Korotkov love sending violet aura.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 889
My name, Melissa, is Greek for honey bee. Ironically, I nearly died at age 4 from the sting of a honey bee! My forum name, Lilou, is French for Lilly. So it seems I've come full circle in regards to names. I'm both the bee and the flower. LOL

Lilou said:
My name, Melissa, is Greek for honey bee. Ironically, I nearly died at age 4 from the sting of a honey bee! My forum name, Lilou, is French for Lilly. So it seems I've come full circle in regards to names. I'm both the bee and the flower. LOL

Sorry to hear about your experience with honey bees, but Melissa, the name of a princess of Crete who was changed into a bee after she learned how to collect honey, is really cool name, nice forum nick name as well; LILY the flower of Lilly represents: Purity, modesty, virginity, majesty. The white lily is linked to Juno, the queen of the gods in Roman mythology, by the story that while nursing her son Hercules, some excess milk fell from the sky creating the group of stars we call the Milky Way, and lilies were created from what milk fell to the earth. The Easter lily is also known as the symbol of the Virgin Mary...,...

My name is a testament of my parents narcissism.

My first two letters, first syllable, comes from my fathers name, my next three letters, second syllable, comes from my mothers name and just left me with the letter "a" at the end. And my parents proudly tells everyone this! :P

Oh well...

My name means 'the free one' or 'freedom'. Not so sure about that yet ;).

Although, people HAVE had a heck of a time throughout my life trying to 'control' me.

Guess I just liked doing my own thing :P no strings attached to the outcome.

The nickname I use was given at birth in honor of someone on my mother's side. It is said to come from the English word meaning "friend" and probably originated as a nursery form of the word 'brother'.

Otherwise, my 'real' name is said to come from the Old Norse elements há "high" and varðr "guardian" (whatever that is supposed to mean).

My real name means "The man from the north" and is connected with Scandinavian people like the Normans, the north Teutons. My second name is a Greek combination of "god" (theos) and "gift" (doron).

So, I am the man from the north with the gift of god. :P

My forum name is just a simple copy of an German blog I carried on for some time.

Yea, names are interesting.

My name -Álvaro- comes from Nordic lands. Its meaning is somewhat
ambiguous, but the most accepted by the various sources I have consulted is
the "very prudent" or "prudentísimo" in Spanish, superlative adjective of "prudent."

Wikipedia says:

"Prudence" comes from the Latin "Prudentia", and is of Greek "phronesis". His
definition was 'conscience', that is to understand the difference between good and
evil. Phronesis word comes from "phroneo" which means "comprehension".
(See also "pro-videntia", 'see above, anticipate').

For me, consciousness is much more than simply distinguish good from evil But maybe that distinction is the one that leads to awareness, a difference once the Terrible Names of God and the Beautiful Names of God.

Ljubica said:
We all carry names, nick names, some of us even pseudonyms, but what is the real meaning of some name, how it changed culturally, historically and linguistically, last but not the least why your parents chose that particular name and not some other, what numerology and phonetics have to say about your name, all these guestions are pretty interesting and when I commenced to dig about my own name and than about names of my family and friends I came to pretty peculiar information.

My name is Ljubica, I checked on: http://www.behindthename.com/name/ljubica, and this is what I found:

LJUBICA (pronounced as LYUWBihKah), approx English pronunciation for Ljubica: L as in "lee (L.IY)" ; Y as in "yield (Y.IY.L.D)" ; UW as in "two (T.UW)" ; B as in "be (B.IY)" ; IH as in "it (IH.T)" ; K as in "key (K.IY)" ; AH as in "hut (HH.AH.T)"

Usage: Croatian, Serbian, Slovene, Macedonian, Russian (Ljuba), Dalmatian (Juba, Jubica), English (Violet), Italian, Latin (Violeta), ProtoSlavic: Ljuba, Liubica, Liubyca

From the Slavic element lyub meaning "love" or "kiss", where -ica is a diminutive suffix. Also, Ljubica means violet, while the actual flower is Ljubičica, a superdiminutive. It is Serbian-Croatian, Macedonian, Monetnegrin, Bosnian in origin, used throughout the former Yugoslavia.

Lyubitsa is the Bulgarian variant.

Ljuba or Liuba or Luba is Russian variant.

Ľubica is the Slovak variant.

Ljubomir, Ljubiša or Ljubo is male variant of the same name in Ex Yugoslavia

Names that sound like Ljubica include the Slavic Libusa, the Scandinavian Lovisa, and the Scandinavian Lovise. Hm-mm, I live in Loviste, what a coincidence, although Lovište in Croatian language have different meaning.

Ha, I was surprised when I found this on: http://birthvillage.com/baby-name.php?name=Ljubica

Numerological Meaning (For Entertainment Purposes Only)
People with this name tend to be very logical thinkers. It is very important for them to have a rigid routine. Many of their actions are quite calculated and thought out. Professionally, they can be successful as an Administrator, team player, or small business owner.

Well, I don't know about rigid routine and any kind of calculations but OK it's for entertainment purposes.

On: http://www.pokemyname.com/firstname_47515_ljubica.htm

I found this:

LJUBICA is the most popular 16396.th name in USA (... 16394.abdulilah , 16395.pranjivan , 16396.ljubica , 16397.riddell , 16398.mckean ...). One in every 234,068 Americans is named LJUBICA and popularity of name LJUBICA is 4.27 people per million.

If we compare the popularity statistics of LJUBICA to USA's population statistics, we can estimate that as of December.04.2010 04:35 there are 1,328 people named as LJUBICA in the United States and the number is increasing by 11 people every year.

Usage of ljubica as a first name is extremely more common than its usage as a middle name. The sum of alphabetical order of letters in LJUBICA is 58 and this makes LJUBICA arithmetic buddies with words like Credible, Adorable, Ethical, Star, Tidy, Fragile.

The Violet flower or Ljubičica or Ljubica on Serb Croatian is connected with: Modesty, faithfulness, innocence, understated beauty. Worn by the ancient Greeks to induce sleep and to calm tempers. Associated with the fifieth wedding anniversary. Also known as the birthflower of February

Now something intriguing:

Dr. Konstantin Korotkov who studied Kirlian's techniques and advanced them to the next level of recording auras, made interesting experiment of: "sending love" mentally, from one person in love to other person in love, the photos made by Korotkov show that aura of people in love with "love" energy they sending to eachother is of violet color, now wait, ancient Slavs knew about color of love, and it's Violet not red, after all how could they associate Violet, Ljubica, Ljuba or LOVE=LJUBAV on Croatian Serbian, to the feeling of love if they did not know the true color of Love (BTW red is color of anger, not love, so if you buying all these red hearts for Valentines you might send wrong subliminal messages to person you love, start making violet hearts:-)) (Photo of love sending attached).

Well that was more than enough about Ljubica, my husband's name is Zoran.

ZORAN (z(o)-ra-n)

Usage: Czech, Slovak, Croatian, Serbian, Slovene, Bulgarian, Macedonian, proto Slavic: Zorjan, Zoryan, Zorran

Other Scripts: Зораn or Зоран (Serbian, Bulgarian, Macedonian)

From a South and West Slavic word meaning "dawn, aurora"Of the dawn, rise of sun, daybreak, a. handsome, a. well-made also from verb zoran: exemplary (archaic Slavic)

Multiple Variations in different languages both male and female: Zorica, Zora, Zorana, Zore, Zorin, Zorina (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, Macedonian), Aurora, Aurelio, Auroro, Mauro, Maurice, Maura, Zahra, Zohra, Zohar, Zoryana, Zoreen, Zoharan, Zorine also Eja or Eos (Ἠώς, Êốs) in Greek mythology goddess of the down and daybreak colors, daughter of Titan Hyperion and his wife Tia, pandan to Latin goddess Aurora and the light they bring is rhododactylos, or rose color, Eja or Eos name comes from the *hwews- = "shining", together with Êốs i αὔριον, aurion = "tomorrow", or aushra = "zora" te áuksas = "gold", in daybreak lat. aurôra = "zora" i aurum = "gold", in Archaic Indo European languages = "istok" (engl. east, German. Ost, Lat. Este, D'este, Levante, Levantino)

OK, that was more less all I could find about our names, I wonder if we were attracted by our names via our parents or names were attracted to us on some still unknown way, after all, words have powers, meanings as well, it would be great to know if the name we are living with define us in all what we do and how we live, according to numerology; names & DOB are one of most important information that define us all. Well, what you know about your name or name of your parents, friends, love ones, check out, search, learn, after all learning should be fun.

Nomen est omen :)

When I first saw your forum name I thought of Ljubljana, SLovenia where my daughter lives with her Slovene husband. Have you been there? I wonder if you would feel that you are in a city that bears your name (or visa versa?)What do you think of the meanings of the name and the city, Ljubica? A 'Love City?' A city of violets? It seems that the city and the meaning of your name have something in common. It sure is a lovely city!

SolarMother said:
When I first saw your forum name I thought of Ljubljana, Slovenia where my daughter lives with her Slovene husband. Have you been there? I wonder if you would feel that you are in a city that bears your name (or visa versa?)What do you think of the meanings of the name and the city, Ljubica? A 'Love City?' A city of violets? It seems that the city and the meaning of your name have something in common. It sure is a lovely city!

Yes, I know Ljubljana very well, nice city, have couple of friends in there :). Lets go back to the name of the city itself, It's pretty interesting name: Ljubljana and connested to many things, like:

Latin term or German: Laibach, Italian: Lubiana, Latin: Labacum, christened after a flooding river, Alluviana; while others argue that the name is derived from 'Laburus', the deity from the Slavic mythology.

Personally, I'll go for most archaic proto Slavic meaning of Ljubljana (Liubiana, Lyiubiana, Liubiena, Lyubena, Liuebiena) today's (Croatian, Serbian) ljubljena in English: bellowed. Not so many places in the world have meaning of Love incorporated in their name I found some of them, for example:

Ljubuški in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Ljubište in Serbia

Libice Czech Republic

Liubice or Lübecks in Gemany

I would like to believe that city, town or place with Love incorporated in their name have positive influence on human's well being, but personally, I think it's a bit more complicated than that; people who are living in some place adding their energy to the place itself, people could be attracted to some place according to it's meaning or energy, as well people could be repulsed by some name or energy of the place, moreover people who are living in some place for years could be influenced by the energy of the place, I can not say what factor is the most important but than what to say for places with following names:

(some with pretty bad omen):

Zagreb, Croatia (Za greb (Zágráb) archaic Croatian today's: za grob on Croatian) on English: For Grave, or additional: Za grebom (behind the crest of the hill))

Gravesend, Kent, England

Hell, Michigan, United States

Boogertown, North Carolina

on other hand places don't have to carry some ominous name to be connected with negative feelings like:

If we say: Oświȩcim (interesting word: Osvićen, Osvecen, Osviecen, Osvjećen, Osviecen or Osviješćen, Osvješten : illuminated, conscious, sounds nice (except for people who know it's synonym) but if we say the same name on German it will be: Auschwitz and we'll immediately have negative felling connected to its WWII history...,...

other situation is with for example:

Champs-Elysées, meaning: meaning the 'Elysian Fields; Elysian fields (ĭlĭzh'ən) or Elysium (ĭlĭzh'ēəm), in Greek religion and mythology, happy otherworld for heroes favored by the gods. Identified with the Fortunate Isles or Isles of the Blest, Elysium was situated in the distant west, at the edge of the world. In later tradition and in Vergil, Elysium is a part of the underworld and a pleasant abode for the righteous dead, the place where souls of the good went after death: a peaceful and beautiful region, full of meadows, groves, sunlight, and fresh air.

# Figuratively, “Elysian Fields” are a place of supreme happiness and bliss.

We'll instantaneously connect Champs-Elysées with the city of Light, Paris.

Every name carry some emotion to us, subliminally, subtly or directly we react on it....,...

Hello Ljubica,
Have you considered the name "Libyca", or its modern form "Libya"? There were two roman era Lybic kings called "Juba" (Juba I and... Juba II) in the same area and on mausolee is attributed to one of them (the legend says he married Cleopatra selenee, one daughter of Cleopatra od Egypt) that it conic shaped, where you enter in a spiral until the funeral chamber (i've been there as a kid).

mkrnhr said:
Hello Ljubica,
Have you considered the name "Libyca", or its modern form "Libya"? There were two roman era Lybic kings called "Juba" (Juba I and... Juba II) in the same area and on mausolee is attributed to one of them (the legend says he married Cleopatra selenee, one daughter of Cleopatra od Egypt) that it conic shaped, where you enter in a spiral until the funeral chamber (i've been there as a kid).

Thanks mkrnhr, I we seen infos about: Numidian Royal Portrait by MARIA CRISTINA NICOLAU KORMIKIARI on: http://www.mcu.es/museos/docs/MC/ActasNumis/Numidian_Royal_Portrait.pdf or as excrept from the:
http://books.google.hr/books?id=9JQ3AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA918&lpg=PA918&dq=Lybic+kings+called+%22Juba%22&source=bl&ots=6UovYPS8Gr&sig=HxMr8he_L8feHIpJzhjkai4Xbok&hl=hr&ei=osH_TKPVBcuo8QPRoNWMCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false in E.J. Brill's first encyclopaedia of Islam, 1913-1936 or in Encyclopedia Britanica.

and must say I was more than puzzled by the names I found in the upper article especially because: in Libic language, that is, in Berber language, same as in Punic and, eventually in Latin – they named their kings (not queens) Juba I and Juba II, one of the last Numidian kings of Cirta. Numidian by them selfs are pretty interesting as part of Berberic tribes, Shijing and myself allready contemplated about their interesting genome in:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=15927.msg138137#msg138137

The problem is that I do not know Berberic language and Numidian language, seems like Numidians and Berbers are of Kanthekian origin same as Slavs, so Slavs, Berbers Numidians should have some similarities in language probably from ancient Kanthekian original language before it's derivation, I'm still looking for comparative literature, so far I'm pretty unsuccessful, since I'm bad with this part of the history behind these names of kings Juba the first and second and can't find the connection with Juba, Jubica or Ljubica name from Slavic languages and proto Slavic language I did not ad them to the thread.

Numid means "from medes (midia, ancient persia)" and there is actually a city called "Medea" in North Africa. So, who knows? With all the chaos through which people have been through history, with repeated catastrophs, things are mixed up.

My name seems to come from the Germanic 'badu', which means struggle, fight, battle etc. I used to be not so pleased with my name when I was younger but now I like it.

Ljubica said:
SolarMother said:
When I first saw your forum name I thought of Ljubljana, Slovenia where my daughter lives with her Slovene husband. Have you been there? I wonder if you would feel that you are in a city that bears your name (or visa versa?)What do you think of the meanings of the name and the city, Ljubica? A 'Love City?' A city of violets? It seems that the city and the meaning of your name have something in common. It sure is a lovely city!

Yes, I know Ljubljana very well, nice city, have couple of friends in there :). Lets go back to the name of the city itself, It's pretty interesting name: Ljubljana and connested to many things, like:

Latin term or German: Laibach, Italian: Lubiana, Latin: Labacum, christened after a flooding river, Alluviana; while others argue that the name is derived from 'Laburus', the deity from the Slavic mythology.

Personally, I'll go for most archaic proto Slavic meaning of Ljubljana (Liubiana, Lyiubiana, Liubiena, Lyubena, Liuebiena) today's (Croatian, Serbian) ljubljena in English: bellowed. Not so many places in the world have meaning of Love incorporated in their name I found some of them, for example:

Ljubuški in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Ljubište in Serbia

Libice Czech Republic

Liubice or Lübecks in Gemany

I would like to believe that city, town or place with Love incorporated in their name have positive influence on human's well being, but personally, I think it's a bit more complicated than that; people who are living in some place adding their energy to the place itself, people could be attracted to some place according to it's meaning or energy, as well people could be repulsed by some name or energy of the place, moreover people who are living in some place for years could be influenced by the energy of the place, I can not say what factor is the most important but than what to say for places with following names:

(some with pretty bad omen):

Zagreb, Croatia (Za greb (Zágráb) archaic Croatian today's: za grob on Croatian) on English: For Grave, or additional: Za grebom (behind the crest of the hill))

Gravesend, Kent, England

Hell, Michigan, United States

Boogertown, North Carolina

on other hand places don't have to carry some ominous name to be connected with negative feelings like:

If we say: Oświȩcim (interesting word: Osvićen, Osvecen, Osviecen, Osvjećen, Osviecen or Osviješćen, Osvješten : illuminated, conscious, sounds nice (except for people who know it's synonym) but if we say the same name on German it will be: Auschwitz and we'll immediately have negative felling connected to its WWII history...,...

other situation is with for example:

Champs-Elysées, meaning: meaning the 'Elysian Fields; Elysian fields (ĭlĭzh'ən) or Elysium (ĭlĭzh'ēəm), in Greek religion and mythology, happy otherworld for heroes favored by the gods. Identified with the Fortunate Isles or Isles of the Blest, Elysium was situated in the distant west, at the edge of the world. In later tradition and in Vergil, Elysium is a part of the underworld and a pleasant abode for the righteous dead, the place where souls of the good went after death: a peaceful and beautiful region, full of meadows, groves, sunlight, and fresh air.

# Figuratively, “Elysian Fields” are a place of supreme happiness and bliss.

We'll instantaneously connect Champs-Elysées with the city of Light, Paris.

Every name carry some emotion to us, subliminally, subtly or directly we react on it....,...
That's all fascinating. Thank you for that info, Ljubica. I know someone from Slovenia who calls herself 'a Slovenka!' which is supposed to mean [I am] 'a Slovene!' in the feminine form. When I saw your name I also thought about 'I am a Ljubica!'--'I am Love!'--OK, I know I am being silly here... ;D

Back
Top Bottom