When the Body Says "no" - Gabor Mate

Laura said:
Maybe true shame is related to the awakening of conscience? Because it appears to me that paramoralistic efforts to induce shame on false premises are predicated on making a person feel bad because they have done or approved something vile; so that is an appeal to conscience.

If that is the case, then shame is something other than an emotion, though it can certainly trigger a cascade of emotions: fear, sadness, dread, horror, etc.

That's an interesting question. I think it can act both ways: Paramoralism can induce shame, but it can also repress shame, for example when someone justifies cruel behavior because "those Arabs hate our freedom" or something like that. Both would be a corruption of conscience, osit.

As for the awakening of the conscience, I can say that after finding this place and coming to all kinds of realizations about myself, which was a most horrible process, shame became a big part of my life for a period. I still struggle sometimes with this overwhelming sense of shame & guilt. Suddenly realizing all the bad stuff I may have caused others really was (and is) very difficult. I experienced fear, sadness, horror, anger and a feeling of loosing my mind. In hindsight, I really do think it was an "awakening of the conscience", in the sense that the knowledge gained here stripped away all the justifications and rationalisations and forced me to get in touch with my conscience, triggering a whirling cascade of confusing emotions.

I'm still reading Maté's book, and it's great. It's an extra motivation to work on the emotions and understanding the biochemical underpinning - partially at least - is relieving in itself, I think. So thanks for bringing it up.

Maybe true shame is related to the awakening of conscience?

Evolving to the point where you see the horror of your previous ways your previous self has produced shame in me.

Depression can be a stepping stone to enlightenment maybe shame can be a barometer to growth

itellsya said:
Just posted on Youtube by user ArchetypelView - it's 3hours 20minutes long and was released a moment ago. Since it may be a while till i get the book, i'll watch it and see whether there's anything further to add to the discussion.

I just listened to the blogtalk with the paranormal investigator where Laura comments on the 'types' which are susceptible to specific ailments and it really piqued my interest to get the book so i am looking forward to his talk. Gabor Mate did state in the neuroplasticity talk that he wished for more than the alloted 45 minutes so i think this could be a goodie! :D

When the Body Says No:Mind/body Unity and the Stress-Disease Connection W/ Dr. Gabor Maté

'Filmed at the California Institute of Integral Studies, April 20th, 2014':

The Vancouver-based Dr. Gabor Maté argues that too many doctors seem to have forgotten what was once a commonplace assumption that emotions are deeply implicated in both the development of illness and in the restoration of health. Based on medical studies and his own experience with chronically ill patients at the Palliative Care Unit at Vancouver Hospital, where he was the Medical Coordinator for seven years, Dr. Gabor Mate makes the case that there are important links between the mind and the immune system. He found that stress and individual emotional makeup play critical roles in an array of diseases. Filmed at the California Institute of Integral Studies, April 20th, 2014

https://youtu.be/JnyNFW2_GhE

In the above video, from 01:35:16 until 01:38:00, Mate explains a bit of his views on gut flora/diet and how it might play role, in response to a question....

So in short he has not studied that subject deeply yet, so according to him he is not in a position to answer that question yet.

I´ve been watching for about two hours G.M. conference on his video yesterday, but wasn´t able to open the link again this morning as I wanted so badly to watch it until the end. It says now the video has been removed by the user. Are others here getting the same issue? Thank you!

Yeah, I just tried to watch the video, same response of 'video has been removed by the User', as you got hesperides. :huh:

I didn't get to watch any of it, so I'm hoping someone uploads it again soon.

Thank you Arwenn! I feel pretty frustrated by this video removal. I´ve been working on it yesterday nearly the whole day as it´s the best material I´ve ever found on the topic. It was an eye opener to me that explains how I got myself to repeat all over again what I had already learned, which was caused by an apparently banal accident. I hope too somebody can chime in here with any suggestion or in its defect, I´ll send a message directly to G.Maté.

By the way now that I remember, one of the latest sentence I heard him saying yesterday was "Bush didn´t use his gut to dismissing fact for invading Irak. He was using his distorted traumatizing emotional self". Maybe this statement has brought the PTB´s attention upon himself, hopefully not so.

Arwenn said:
Yeah, I just tried to watch the video, same response of 'video has been removed by the User', as you got hesperides. :huh:

I didn't get to watch any of it, so I'm hoping someone uploads it again soon.

I downloaded it yesterday on my computer.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I can legally upload it on youtube.

However, If someone is interested, there is something surely a way to upload it somewhere where you could download it after that.

Gandalf said:

However, If someone is interested, there is something a way to upload it somewhere where you could download it after that.

Gandalf, I would definitely be interested, if you would please explain the process, as I am definitely not the techiest of people :rolleyes:

Arwenn said:
Gandalf said:

However, If someone is interested, there is something a way to upload it somewhere where you could download it after that.

Gandalf, I would definitely be interested, if you would please explain the process, as I am definitely not the techiest of people :rolleyes:

It is a flv file with 437 190 ko.

So I will wait a bit and see if someone has a good idea where I could upload it.

Arwenn said:
Gandalf said:

That would be nice, thank you Gandalf!

Gandalf, you can use the Bittorrent peer-to-peer network, or upload it to one of the free media-sharing websites like mediafire.com (they give you 10GBs of space).

Cyndi said:
Aiming said:
As for Maté not being into the topic of a healthy diet, he did mention in passing, in one of his talks, how he isn't following certain parts of a healthy lifestyle, even though knowing what to do better. This isn't to imply that he knows about the health dangers of gluten, dairy, sugar, etc., but that apparently he does know lifestyle to be an important factor, too. One thing that stands out for me when looking at him is that he looks spent in a way that does suggest toxicity.

I noticed that as well while watching the video. I wonder though how much that has to do with his own ADD? (...)

Just a note that I recently learned that Gabor was born in 1944, so is 70 years old. For this age I think he doesn't really look spent, but rather quite well. At least I assumed he was about 15 years younger than 70.

beetlemaniac said:
Gandalf, you can use the Bittorrent peer-to-peer network, or upload it to one of the free media-sharing websites like mediafire.com (they give you 10GBs of space).

Thank you beetlemaniac,

Loading right now on mediafire.

Gandalf said:
beetlemaniac said:

Thank you beetlemaniac,

Loading right now on mediafire.

So, here's the link for the download:

_http://www.mediafire.com/watch/r5p95czum06bc50/When_the_Body_Says_NoMind_body_Unity_and_the_Stress-Disease_Connection_W__Dr._Gabor_Maté.flv

Let me know if it is working nicely.

Back
Top Bottom