Where is Gonzalo Lira? Fears for YouTuber missing in Ukraine's Kharkov article

Gonzalo Lira is a self-promoter and probably a narcissist. He's also, therefore (on either count), a dufus.

His YT videos over the past 18 months have been little more than him repeating well known anti-Ukraine talking points. He never said anything that many others had not already said. His only credential was that he was in Kharkiv and could, in theory, provide some "on the ground" information, which is why he gained a following, almost all of whom are likely Westerners (mostly English speakers) who identify with a Westerner in Ukraine. Certainly, few if any Ukrainians were watching his videos because a) most of them don't speak English b) there are far more useful channels in Ukrainian.

Gonzalo was initially arrested by the SBU, probably on a point of principle rather than any significant threat he posed: an arrogant American living in Ukraine making videos trashing Ukraine and the govt. during war time. WHAT DID HE EXPECT?? The SBU just wanted rid of him, which is why when he was released the first time, they gave him all of his documents etc. the message being "LEAVE". But being a dufus and attention seeker, he didn't because he thought his new-found credibility from being arrested would gain him more followers.

Which it did.

So he kept making videos and... surprise! they arrested him again, and this time, sought to drive the message home with a longer stay in prison and (possibly) some roughing up (although I don't take anything he says at face value). Again, this time when released, he was given all his documents, the message AGAIN being "get the hell out of here". He may or may not have earnestly tried to do that, but he was certainly going to post a video about whatever he was doing to get more followers.

Btw, imagine you're trying to escape from a country. You get close to the border checkpoint, but before trying to cross, you stop for at least an hour to make 3 videos that you stream to social media, telling everyone (possibly including the people who just released you) what you're going to do.🤨

Anyway, the whole thing is ridiculous and suggests Gonzalo is a self-absorbed narcissist who cares little for his young children and that he preferred to stay in Ukraine and thumb his nose at the regime rather than care for his family properly.

He now finds himself in the ridiculous self-created situation of having made videos denouncing the Ukrainian govt. as a corrupt undemocratic regime during war time, and then that same regime arrested him, twice. His response is to complain about the lack of democracy and freedom of speech in the undemocratic regime he was denouncing.

Maybe soon he'll pop up in N. Korea and stand in the square in Pyongyang and denounce Kim Jong Un and then, when thrown in a prison, complain about the fact that there is no freedom of speech in N. Korea.

Here's Gonzalo, as he imagines himself (or as he'd like you to imagine him), at the Ukrainian border.
great.jpg

Last edited:
Imagine trying to escape from a country. You get close to the border checkpoint, and before trying to pass through, you stop for at least an hour to make 3 videos that you stream to social media, telling everyone (possibly including the people who just released you) what you're going to do.

It's interesting watching the debate raging on telegram about Gonzalo as if he's a refugee. I still haven't heard any reason why (assuming he gets to Hungary), he can't just buy a plane ticket to the US?

All this talk about asylum is so unnecessary in my view. If you believe what he says, he has more than $100k in the bank and clearly has a following to make a living via social media so why can't he just go set up shop back in his country - the US?

Why is he so tied to that region around Ukraine that it gives people the impression he's like from there... 🙄

Imagine trying to escape from a country. You get close to the border checkpoint, and before trying to pass through, you stop for at least an hour to make 3 videos that you stream to social media, telling everyone (possibly including the people who just released you) what you're going to do.

As of today, Twitter sez that he's been captured again trying to seek asylum in Hungary. Not sure this is confirmed though.

Gonzalo is a showman and probably a narcissist, IMO. In line with that, he's a dufus. He never said anything of any importance that many others weren't already saying. His only credential was that he was in Kharkiv and could, in theory, provide some "on the ground" information, which is why he has a following, almost all of whom are likely Westerners (mostly English speakers) who identify with a Westerner in Ukraine. Certainly, Ukrainians were not watching his videos because a) most of them don't speak English b) there are far more useful channels in Ukrainian. Over the past 18 months, he has never provided any information that wasn't already known.

Gonzalo initially got arrested by the SBU, probably on a point of principle rather than any significant threat he posed: an arrogant American living in Ukraine making videos trashing Ukraine and the govt. during war time. WHAT DID HE EXPECT?? The SBU just wanted rid of him, which is why when he was released the first time, they gave him all of his documents etc. the message being "LEAVE". But being a dufus and attention seeker, he didn't because he thought his new-found credibility from being arrested would gain him more followers. Which it did.

So he kept making videos and so, they arrested him again and sought to drive the message home with a longer stay in prison and (possibly) some roughing up (although I don't take anything he says at face value). Again, this time when released, he was given all his documents, the message AGAIN being "get the hell out of here". He may or may not have earnestly tried to do that, but he was certainly going to post a video about it in the style of Steve McQueen in The Great Escape, to get more followers.

Anyway, the whole thing is ridiculous and suggests Gonzalo is a showman who cares little for his young children and that he preferred to stay in Ukraine and thumb his nose at the regime rather than care for them properly. He's in the ridiculous self-created situation of having made videos denouncing the Ukrainian govt. as a corrupt undemocratic regime, and when they arrest him, he shouts about the lack of democracy and freedom of speech in said regime. He may as well go to N. Korea and stand in the square in Pyongyang and denounce Kim Jong Un and then, when thrown in a prison, tell the world the shocking story about how there is no freedom of speech in N. Korea.

Here's Gonzalo, as he imagines himself, at the Ukrainian border.

View attachment 79176

Sounds like a pretty reasonable assessment to me, given the facts. What was striking from the getgo (and growingly so ever since) was, as you mentioned, his apparent disregard for his children. No more or less good/normal father would behave in that way. Reckless and irresponsible.

I got the impression he pre-recorded the videos and tweets and then scheduled them to publish when he thought he would be across the border.

Also of striking note in regard of his claimed „concern“ for his children, is that he now, all of a sudden, doesn’t seem to have any problem with publicly blurting out their real names in his latest videos. Just imagine that! If I‘m not mistaken, he claimed at one point to be „so concerned“ about his children that he would never expose any details about them. And now compare that with him blurting out their names publicly without even the slightest visible signs of concern about him doing so.

I got the impression he pre-recorded the videos and tweets and then scheduled them to publish when he thought he would be across the border.

Maybe so, but in one of his tweets published on Aug 31st, he said:

"I rode my motorcycle across Ukraine—1,400 kms in two days."

which suggests he was somewhere close to the border when he made the videos, which he published the same day, or perhaps one day later, showing him somewhere on the road with his bike.

I’m thinking of the meta data in these videos as well as his arrest video. Time stamps and even actual GPS data. I’m Not sure if that’s in the meta data of a phone video but it would be very interesting to look under the hood and see if there is anything there.

As for the 1400 km bike trip… even at age 55, a car trip that long in 2 days with only one driver would wipe me out, much less a motorcycle trip. He looked and acted maybe a little too fresh? Not to mention that his emotional state and content delivery is almost always the same. IOW, does this look and feel like a man running for his life from the Ukro Gestapo?

(Even though, in his story they seem as effective as Colonel Klink in Hogans heroes and so perhaps his random attitudes make sense in that case)

Maybe so, but in one of his tweets published on Aug 31st, he said:

"I rode my motorcycle across Ukraine—1,400 kms in two days."

which suggests he was somewhere close to the border when he made the videos, which he published the same day, or perhaps one day later, showing him somewhere on the road with his bike.
Yep, in the video he says he was about 5 km from the border crossing. So my understanding based on what he said in the videos (maybe extrapolating a bit, don't remember all the details) is that he stopped close to the border, recorded the videos, wrote his tweets, scheduled them to go live in x minutes, at which point he planned to be either across the border if successful or arrested if not. Doing it this way ensured that he could get the message out without alerting the authorities. And in case he was arrested and his phone confiscated, it would be published.

It's interesting watching the debate raging on telegram about Gonzalo as if he's a refugee. I still haven't heard any reason why (assuming he gets to Hungary), he can't just buy a plane ticket to the US?

Two possible reasons:
1/ No more fame and easy money
2/ An arrest warrant awaiting him

He looked and acted maybe a little too fresh? Not to mention that his emotional state and content delivery is almost always the same. IOW, does this look and feel like a man running for his life from the Ukro Gestapo?

But majority of his followers just don't think. They would keep worshipping him for his heroism.

Alexander and Alex weigh in.

It would seem that the Durans believe the official version of Lira, and I'd go so far as to make him a hero who fights for the freedom of expression. Strange attitude from the Durans, but I think they've always admired Lira, so it's not so surprising after all. What's also really interesting is to read the comments on this video, all praying for Lira, and very concerned about his situation. Also the majority of people thinks he is a true hero.

I believe more the version and analysis of Scott Ritter, who is someone who has contacts, and he affirms the absurdity of what's happening to Lira, saying that it's not true at all. And that Lira was working for Zelinski's government to monitor anti-government and pro-Russian elements.

We know, in times of darkness, people need heroes, even to the point of inventing false heroes. While the real ones, like Assange, rot in prison. These are dark times, in every sense.

People also need an adventure, in this case that of Lira on a motorcycle across a whole country being chased by the bad guys. People are very naive, also. But all of this is my humble point of vue. And maybe I am wrong.

I believe more the version and analysis of Scott Ritter, who is someone who has contacts,
Or so he claims. I don't know what contacts he has, but obviously none of them informed him that Ukrainian Maidan and the following coup were not a "grassroot movement supported by Ukrainian nationalists" but events orchestrated and immensely helped by Western, mostly American, agencies.

Back
Top Bottom