Why Gurdjieff?

Approaching infinity

I am being sceptical, thats why I'm asking questions from people who are putting the work into practice...

monkey said:
But why accept the horror of man? Yes our political leaders are insane and have distorted our own personalities through the media but I couldn't condemn the whole of mankind as a horror? This is starting from the basic premise that we are irrational, this is how they want us to think of ourselves and this has many connotations as well.

Monkey, please read Anart's suggestions again. Stick around and study, in a few years you won't recognize yourself. :)

monkey said:
Approaching infinity

I am being sceptical, thats why I'm asking questions from people who are putting the work into practice...

That isn't being skeptical. That's like asking Jimmy to verify what Timmy said. The Work is about verifying FOR YOURSELF. Can you see the contradictions inherent in your thoughts and assumptions, not just in this post, but all your posts thus far?

Ryanx

Don't be silly I'm not looking for some where to turn over my mind and body :rolleyes:

Approaching infinity

Is there anything inherently wrong in asking for peoples personal experience of the work?

monkey said:
anart

Why is it necessary to be rude and unfriendly?

This forum in acting as an authority and therefore I assume with authority comes guidance

I'm asking reasonable questions

I'm not being rude or unfriendly, I'm simply stating the truth. You appear to be playing games and expecting others to do your work for you. It doesn't work that way here. If you aren't looking to hand over your mind and body to someone, then why did you write what you did? Please consider this question carefully before you respond, and please re-read the forum guidelines again before posting further.

monkey said:
Approaching infinity

Is there anything inherently wrong in asking for peoples personal experience of the work?

This is a manipulation. It is not the asking that is the issue here, monkey - it is the mode of asking, the tone, the suggestion, the lack of any sincere willingness on your own part to figure things out for yourself. If you're looking for a guru, you've come to the wrong place.

I wrote what I did because the work demands extreme commitment and is not to be taken lightly

Good grief :rolleyes:

Less of the hostility please

Why Gurgjieff? Well he himself warns that his path is only for the thoroughly unsatisfied with the world's more well known paths, quickly speaking, the paths of religous, academic, or physical cultivation.

The way we understand his work here, it is not strictly internal. If you don't find changes in your external life then you aren't doing The Work at all.

My own personal reasons would be along the lines of the following explanation. There seems to be a flow for a person. If you go to with the flow (not that this implies not having to do some kind of work), you may end up a beggar, a soldier, a doctor, a family man or woman, or whatever. By flow, I mean a combination of things such as your family upbringing, your personality, your external circumstances such as the country where you live or the culture you find yourself in. If you are satisfied with the flow, there is no need to concern oneself with The Work. If you aren't and you want to go against this flow, then you will need unusual methods and tools. IMO Gurgjieff supplies these. Needleman gives a different perspective on similar methods in "Lost Christianity."

Approaching Infinity said:
That isn't being skeptical. That's like asking Jimmy to verify what Timmy said. The Work is about verifying FOR YOURSELF. Can you see the contradictions inherent in your thoughts and assumptions, not just in this post, but all your posts thus far?

He's just being a tar baby.

Monkey, no one can answer your question, we are too stupid and don't know anything. You might want to look elsewhere.

You kind of remind me of that episode of B5, with the berserker probe that asks all of these complicated questions.

The only person who thinks your questions are reasonable is you. Maybe you are really asking, maybe you aren't. Maybe you are just having fun, or think you are having fun at our expense, I don't particularly care mate.

If you are looking to give yourself over to some type of work, body and soul, here's some links that might interest you more than this forum:
http://www.deeprootschurch.com/ministries.html or here http://www.scientology.org/ I am sure they would love to answer all of your questions.

monkey said:
Ryanx

Don't be silly I'm not looking for some where to turn over my mind and body :rolleyes:

But you did say this:

monkey said:
Before I can accept such a major perspective change like man is a machine and all its connotations I need to know if it is the right way, handing over your mind and body is the most serious decision you can make.

The implication being that this is what you're looking for or expecting in a system such as the Work. Keep in mind that this is bordering on trolling behavior by saying one thing and then denying you ever said it.

Like others have commented, nobody here is forcing you to think anything. I was skeptical about the Work as well. It wasn't until I had some pretty serious shocks in life that made me realize how mechanical I was and that I couldn't entirely trust the way that I think. Maybe you're not at this point, or maybe you're looking for something entirely different, I'm not sure.

monkey said:
Approaching infinity

Hello Monkey.

You can read all about people's experiences with the Work by using the search function and reading through that section of the forum. Why post noise when there's Work to be done?

In short, monkey, you have been told several times that research, experiment is needed. You experiment if you really want to find out, or you leave it.

You've taken up a lot of time and energy just in order to get that answer and then keep spinning around in circles. Just decide - on your own - and get on with your decision.

I think we've fed monkey enough and I'm sure he/she enjoyed the attention.

Back
Top Bottom